Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage Employee Reviews

A very great place to work. The benefits are amazing and so are the people.
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOMay 19, 2017
This was by far my favorite job I've ever had. The benefits are amazing. Full health, dental, and vision. And on top of that every hour you work you get an extra dollar to spend in the store. I would highly recommend this job to anybody.
Difficult
Produce Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Wheat Ridge, COMay 8, 2017
Turnover rate was extreme, incompetent Management, Constant Criticism, Questions and concerns blown off, Owners screaming and criticizing you in front of customers and staff!
Pros
good home life and work balance
Cons
They definitely do not set you up for success, very poor training, not willing to train or deal with any problems or concerns
Great Idea - Improperly Managed
Assistant Vitamin Manager (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, COApril 12, 2017
What an amazing potential this place has to be the ideal employer. Unfortunately, it no longer operates with the values it began with in it's early beginnings.
Great compensations and fun environment
Assistant Produce Manager (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXApril 6, 2017
I love working here, even though I do plan to advance my career into a different field, NGVC has given me the ability to connect with customers every single day. The knowledge of each employee, along with the customers exceeds any other company I have worked with before. Overall, I have had a wonderful experience with this company.
wonderful atmosphere and a lot to learn and opportunity to learn it
Vitamin Dept. (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NM 87507April 5, 2017
In this store, very impassioned people gathered to give customer service and sell healthy products. The store has tremendous products and is sometimes at war with itself and managers become unhappy. There is a lot of strain running a business with perishables and the family that owns it sometimes makes mistakes in deciding if they are a grocery or vitamin store and do not appreciate great sales. In trying to grow an alternative grocery business, they have sometimes seemed ignorant of basic principles.
Pros
vitamin bucks to buy from the store and training
Cons
as things progressed, some great people were lost
Empowered to Grow at Natural Grocers! This Company cares about the Development of the Employees and always works on promoting within first.
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COMarch 21, 2017
I started with Natural Grocers in Store Support to get my foot in the door with the Company that was aligned with my Values.

Very Quickly I was promoted to the next position due to hard work / background and skill set.
I continued to learn and continued promotions Dept Manager to ASM to Store Manager.
Building an Amazing Team and learning along the way to be a better Leader and Community Awareness.
Our values are still aligned and I am very proud to work at Natural Grocers. .
Along the way I always had great Leaders that cared about my development and always had support.

I am now at our Store Support Center in a role to support our stores .
Pros
Employee Benifits/ Founding Principals
Nice place for your first job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Parker, COMarch 16, 2017
The work is easy and the customers and employees are friendly. The job is not hard at all and a great fit for a first time worker. The job consists of stocking merchandise and aiding customers in finding products through out the store.
Not my cup of tea
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  ColoradoFebruary 24, 2017
On paper their founding principles are great, but in reality its a pretty abusive environment where no one is ever good enough and they will work their managers into the ground. It's a popularity contest with the owners. If you are a family member or a well liked, yes personality then you will succeed. Doesn't matter how hard you work for them. This results in folks being promoted who don't meet minimum job requirements as well as folks be terminated for no good reason.
Pros
High quality product standards, education
Cons
Fear based management, Crazy work demands
Fun, Fun, Fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMFebruary 21, 2017
I learned so much about the grocery industry and the importance of vitamins and supplements here at Natural Grocers. There were no hard parts about this job and the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the interesting people that shopped there. The customers are just as informative as the leaders that worked at the establishment that i worked at. Management was awesome and I'm not just saying that either. Two thumbs up from me.
Fantastic dynamic and support between and among the employees and management.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COFebruary 18, 2017
Typical day consisted of various customer service inquiries which encouraged employees to become familiar with many products and supplements/vitamins, etc. Stocking, filling, rotating, and facing products. Cashiering and answering phones contributed to the main portion of a shift.

I learned how to manage the Produce Department, which included setting up breaking down/storing produce daily, ensuring that produce is regularly maintained and pulled/culled, ordering/receiving shipments of produce, as well as checking various vendors for quality and prices, appealing and pleasing display of fruits and vegetables, price adjustments in the Point of Sale system, as well as proper signage.

I experienced the most tight-knit inter-employee dynamic, where everyone was there to assist and support each other, including management.
Pros
Earned store credit good towards anything in store.
High energy, always learning, wonderful, knowledgeable co-workers AND customers!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COFebruary 10, 2017
Wonderful, knowledgeable co-workers AND customers. Quality/organic/well reviewed products! Very active, busy place to work with a lot going and happening all the time.
Fun, informative, holistic and energetic place to work.
Produce Manager (Current Employee) –  Arvada, COJanuary 31, 2017
There are many opportunities and learning available, great place to be employed. The company values are founded around:
-community
-employees
-local products
Pros
Great employee perks
Cons
short breaks
It was pretty intersting
Assist customers (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJanuary 20, 2017
If you have a desire for healthy eating, or even becoming a veagan, this is the perfect place to work. It wasn't really for me, but overall I really enjoyed working here. The customers are the nicest people and the coworkers all got your back. I worked at target once before, so anywhere else has got to be better than that.
Great store with good benifits
Grocery Department Stocker (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORDecember 16, 2016
Great environment and management works well with employees to improve sales and grow. Department managers are great to work under and are very supportive. Great training and opportunity for anyone in the grocery business.
Pros
Vitamin Bucks and management gives you opportunity to show skills
Cons
Understaffed at times
Good environment, but it can get repetitive
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Durango, CODecember 9, 2016
Working harder than others is not usually recognized, so it can be really challenging to get motivated. Overall, it was a good college job, and I decided to leave, because I had been there just too long for my liking (a year and a half).
Decent Overall, Needs work
Dept. Manager (Current Employee) –  KansasOctober 16, 2016
The company's stated goals are great and they try hard to make them come true but it can be a stretch to make that work in a corporate environment. The company gives lots of lip service to training and advancement but hours and opportunities are far too limited to actually make it happen. The starting pay is decent but raises are once a year and are not very negotiable.
Pros
Everyday discounts
Cons
Company needs quantitative change at corporate level to move forward
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Golden, COOctober 9, 2016
I enjoyed my time working at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage in Golden, Colorado. There was a lot of turnover in the store at first but once new management came in the store was a better place to be.
Pros
Environment
Cons
Customers taking advantage of the store's generosity.
love
Customer Service Representative, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 13, 2016
very productive and fun and positive and busy loved my co workers would work for them again. everyone was always helpful and never rude and always was calm
Great Company
Dairy/Frozen Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDAugust 26, 2016
Perfect opportunity for me to get back into retail management. Corporate treats their employees very well. Taught me a lot about ordering and working in a big box store, versus smaller outlet stores.
Pros
Vitamin Bucks
Cons
Irregular scheduling, changing without notice.
Educational, fun work environment.
Frozen Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland, TexasJuly 28, 2016
Natural Grocers gives you the option to further your nutritional education via their Learning Management System, you can move up quickly provided there are positions available, you are paid very well, and you are part of a nutritional awareness movement that is opening up the eyes of an increasing number of Americans.
Pros
Compensation, Nutrition Education, Good Atmosphere
Cons
Upper Management can be a pain when your store is visited, help desk is the least helpful desk ever, no dissemination of information

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage. Our community is ready to answer.

Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage Reviews by Location