Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage Employee Reviews in United States

Don't do it!
hourly employee (Former Employee) –  Parker, COMay 17, 2016
Do not, under any circumstances, work at the Parker, CO location of Natural Grocers. The place is a wreck. Mostly due to the manager. She is nothing but a mean, nasty bully who enjoys speaking down to people and being condescending. She used to follow me around looking for things I did wrong so she could correct me. I tried, but I couldn't even stay for a year. There are so many people in and out of there and I am astonished that the home office hasn't figured out why. She plays definite favorites, and they get away with murder. She hires managers that are in their early 20's, and it appears that she does so because she wants to be able to boss them around. After clocking in, she immediately and condescendingly jumps down your neck that you must be on the floor immediately to work while she and her "managers" sit in the room and chat. Don't blink sideways or she will write you up. Lets you make mistakes twice so she can write you up. Was only nice to me if she needed something. Took advantage to the max. Everyone talks about these free "Vitamin Bucks" they give you to spend in the store. Remember, there is no such thing as a free lunch. Home office upper management needs to wise up.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
see above
It was good for the time being
Manager (Former Employee) –  AnonymousApril 16, 2016
Great products and benefits.

As the store manager there is a lot on your plate. Even though I was compensated well the expectations are too high for the amount of labor given.

This company is still going threw growing pains and hopefully they will come out on top. They just really need to re-evaluate the structure and also appreciate the hard work that managers put into their stores.
I am still employeed with Natural Grocers. A great company. I am just looking for something during the week and no night shifts.
Asst. Mgr for Body Care/Vitamin Departments (Current Employee) –  Grand Junction, COMarch 29, 2016
Very fast paced. Customer service is most important, learning to deal with customer issues as well as employee issues. Management is supportive and co-workers are very easy to work with. Hardest part of job is the changes in work schedules and days off. Most enjoyable is being able to help a variety of customers and their issues.
Pros
vitamin bucks
Cons
schedule changes/rotating days off
Pays well
Bulk Buyer (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COMarch 28, 2016
Was a great place to work. If you are wanting to learn about healthy living and eating than your chance is there to learn all you want. Felt that the company went downhill when they went public. Your pay is above average.
A waste of 4 months
Dairy Frozen Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COMarch 11, 2016
I worked at the west Colfax location "the very 1st vitamin cottage" as the dairy frozen manager. There is no such thing as a typical day at this location. You will have to deal with no shelf space to put incoming products. The home office buyers will buy just as much product for this small store as they would for a new store. There are unrealistic expectations from store mgmt. Since I started we have lost two support staff members. We were told by mgmt that the store no longer made enough money to replace the support staff. This store easily makes over 100% profit everyday for the company. During a regular shift you cashier, order for your dept, handle customer service, count down cash drawers, process shrink, date check, face and clean. They will tell you you have an assistant but keep in mind your assistant is also the grocery assistant and the bulk buyer for the store. When you bring these issues up to HR you will be asked to find creative ways to make the store operate with less employees. It was also recommended to me by an HR representative that I take advantage of the free visits to a psychiatrist if I feel to overwhelmed by my work load. No thank you I just need our support staff back so I can focus on my job as the dairy frozen manager.

I learned that this company would rather have its shelfs look full with product that people don't buy. I learned to keep ordering product just to have them expire. I was not able to bring my previous buying experience to the table due to irresponsible purchasing at the home office.

My store manager and assistant
  more... store manager could never get on the same page to teach me. I was never shown a working model of how my dept was supposed to operate. Since we are always loosing support staff they were trying to find ways for me to do more with less.

My co-workers were what kept me at this job. You will never find a more dedicated and caring staff.

The hardest part of this job was watching store mgmt treat hard working people poorly. Next I would say the small space of this store and the failing electronic equipment. Computers,symbol inventory scanners, lighting, chairs ect ect this older stores infrastructure is falling apart. It made my job very hard to complete and do accurately. If you bring the issues up to store mgmt you are told to "deal with it". Its hard to see over staffed new stores with no customers in them built less than 3 miles away.

The most enjoyable part of my job was my co-workers.
Pros
discount and healthcare
Cons
corprate and gross meat
All around great place to work
Produce Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXFebruary 28, 2016
I really enjoyed working at this location. The people that I worked with are the best people in the world. The management is fair. It is still a retail position so there are day to day problems, but it is still a good place to work.
A very hostile work enviroment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  South Okc okFebruary 17, 2016
I never felt like and equal employee. the management acted as children.

The best thing about working there were the customers. They were the ones teaching all of us different things everyday. I loved every relationship I built with the customers and loved helping them in anyway possible.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
poor management
Great place to work, culture friendly and helpful
Vitamin/Bodycare Clerk (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CONovember 12, 2015
Good benefits

Good training

Good culture everyone friendly and organic/sustainable/healthy minded

Great and friendly customers
Nice place to work.
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Parker, COOctober 26, 2015
Usually worked at the register for the majority of my shift. Did other tasks when business was slow. Was always treated well.
My experience at NGVC
Produce Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KansasOctober 7, 2015
I started working for NGVC over a year ago and have been promoted three times in that span. The company is rapidly growing ; which is a good and bad. They are growing so fast that any kind of training is just pushed through. I consider myself an intelligent person but I cant read minds and I cant work with my boss hanging over my shoulder. It has been a great opportunity for personal growth but now it's time to move on.
Pros
Discount on groceries and vitamins
Cons
short staffed, micro-management style of manager

Want to know more about Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage?

Ask a question
Fun environment, with family type structure.
CASHIER/STOCKER (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 12, 2015
Great employer! Its a fun place for anyone. College students who need extra income who will work with your schedule. Very responsive, and organized.
Pros
vitamin bucks
Cons
so many goodies to buy.
Life Changing Company
Health and Beauty Manager (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTJuly 2, 2015
Excellent company. Within the 3yrs I have worked for them I have been provided with endless benefits and opportunities to advance in my career.
Pros
In-store credit, employee discounts, and medical benefits.
ehhhh
Order Puller (Current Employee) –  Golden, COJune 19, 2015
What the company represents is good, the actual company... not so much. Terribly managed in almost all departments, the owners are full of them selves, their expectations are ludicrous, and the pay isn't even close to fair.
Pros
store benefits
Cons
everything else
Entry level management job for great company
Body Care Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTMay 17, 2015
Natural Grocers is a great company to work for, there are a lot of benefits. There are Vitamin Bucks, where you are rewarded .75 cents for every hour worked that you can spend on anything you want in the store, you also get get discounts ranging from 10 to 30 percent on products in the store, lots of opportunities for free vitamins, minerals, supplements, body care products, and food samples. The health care benefits are pretty standard. My co-workers were great, I got along with most everybody. There are sometimes miscommunication issues between corporate and management, which can cause some confusion and frustration. They are like a typical retail operation where there is too much work to be done and not enough people to do it, so everybody is always very busy. However, I thought that the many benefits the company offers to it's employees outweighs that con. Starting wages are low for Colorado but considered high in other states. All in all, I really enjoyed my time there and I hope I'll be able to go back in the future.
Pros
Great benefits, great products, great company
Cons
Too much work to be done and not enough time to do it all.
Great company, terrible management in Amarillo TX
Produce Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Amarillo TXApril 16, 2015
My manager harassed me daily with multiple phone calls and txts. She tries to control all employees personal life. Allowed her friends to be promoted over more deserving candidates, even if they called into work over 50 times in a year. HR ignores lower level employees complaints due to our great sales numbers. Any other location would have been great because the company has many benefits to working there.
Pros
discounts on food vitamn bucks
Cons
bad HR
productive and fun place
CASHIER/GROCERY (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 13, 2015
working here was cool. It was very cool. Working here wass exciting and cool. At first exciting, then cool. Did i mention that its very cool to work here? Well, its cool.
Another Wall Street run Corp.! Not truly Family run!
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDApril 1, 2015
Advice to Upper Management
Come down to earth and learn how to connect with real people again! Don't let your greed and Wall street destroy this company like so many others! Share the wealth.

Please give employees at least two weeks notice before having them laid off, not just a few minutes notice. I have seen that happen to five good employees, for god-sake it's people's livelihood! Have some respect for people before profits at all cost!

So many cons to list.
Bad pay
Bad treatment of employees
Always SHORT STAFFED and Overworked to the max
Bad schedules for Everyone
Unreal expectation for store/employee goals
Management out of touch with the reality!
No bonus pay!
Lots of micro- manageing
Pros
It's a job, vitamin bucks and co workers
Cons
LOW PAY, HIGH STRESS, TURNOVER, OVERWORKED
The store manager is an irritable drunk who treats employees and vendors very poorly.
I worked everywhere in the store (Former Employee) –  AmarilloMarch 2, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of being micromanaged continually. Lower level managers were rarely praised for a job well done. Instead, we were expected to work miracles while being short handed most times. Then we were expected to motivate teens who wanted a paycheck but didn't want to work. The store manager didn't see this because she went home early every day and got drunk. She would call up to the store to check on sales, and I could hear the slurring in her voice. I learned a little bit about vitamins and minerals while being at natural grocers. I had taken nutrition before, so I had a decent foundation already. Now on to the management portion lol. Well I've already mentioned the store manager and her glowing disposition. The other managers were okay to work around. It was funny because most of them disliked the store manager as much as I did, but somehow information I divulged amongst them got back to her. So, the lesson here is----watch what you say around co-workers/asskissers. The best part of the job was the free vitamin bucks which could be used for anything in the store. And of course the customers made the job bearable. I've been in retail most of my life, and I won't let one bad work experience ruin my attitude.
Pros
vitamin bucks, free samples and hot customers
Cons
some of the herbs smelled horrible and the store manager, the pay wasn't that good
Opportunities with a Growing Company
Store Manager (three promotions in four years) (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COFebruary 16, 2015
If you want to grow a career with a health lifestyles leading retailer, apply and bring your best. Expectations are steep, but our company offers advancement that you don't typically find.
greatest place i have ever worked
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 5, 2015
this is the greatest company i have ever worked for in my life. wish i never would have left. been in retail for 22 years
Pros
just so many
Cons
you will be required to stay up on all new health products