Natural Grocers Employee Reviews

Retail, Understaffed, stress for management
Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Kalispell, MTDecember 8, 2017
The stores are very understaffed and this puts undue pressure on management. Must be very multi-task oriented. Work hours change for employees on a regular basis. Poor management. Company failing and labor hours are often cut. Good for part time work, otherwise don't bother.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
management, pay
Management is the reason I left
Vitamin Manager (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMDecember 6, 2017
Worked with this company for years decided to leave when new management abused their positions by denying employees request time off but yet changes their own schedule to have there days off falling certian holidays. Has favorites, tells employees we can't go home when sick but when we do get to go home early it's only 30 min before we actually get off but they leave 3-4 hours when they feel sick. Always doing split shifts but doesn't work with employees who want to do splits. Moral is really low ended up just being a paycheck at the end of the day could careless for the company. ALWAYS short staffed, company was fun to work for before all the "endcap competition" or which can store can sell the most "whatever". VERY DRAINING Basically just letting the lazy coworkers be lazy and were draining out the hard workers.
Pros
Pay was good, discounts
Cons
Employees, short staffed, management, issued not being addressed
Horrible Management and very inconsistent scheduling.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Evergreen, CONovember 28, 2017
Natural grocers in general demands a totally open availability for all employees. Which means you can be on a shift as early as 4am for a receiving shift or you might have to stay as late at 10:30pm for the closing shift. You also might get the late night shift and then the early morning the next day. Management doesn't communicate very well and they consistently go back on their word. When I started I was told that they would work with my schedule and that they wouldn't ever schedule you for shifts with less than 12 hours between them. After almost 6 months with the company I'm sick and tired of the outright lies from management. People quit left and right because of the poor management. Depending on what store, you might get a decent manager but from what I have seen at my location, I don't see how management at any store could be good. It's not a healthy work environment when you feel disrespected by management on a daily basis.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Management, scheduling, environment, etc
Terrible HR department
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IANovember 21, 2017
Was set up to fail short staffed, terrible HR department who will not assist you with staff issues will blame you. Head HR person needs to be fired makes knee jerk reactions to false facts.
Stressful and sad
Vitamin Clerk (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CONovember 18, 2017
Store level management was chaotic at best, and one manager was disrespectful to some workers to the point of cruelty, humiliating people in front of coworkers and customers. Bad enough, but it was seen and allowed to continue. Lower level managers threw hard workers under the bus regularly. I can't even frequent the store any more after the experience.
Pros
Very respectable overall concept of business.
Cons
Surly and out of control store management.
Poor place
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sedona, AZNovember 10, 2017
Didn't match the principles they boost about place is tough , corporate is out of touch unless you lie you will be fitef work off the clock is standard
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Corporate
Grocery
Head Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 2, 2017
Customer service in all departments, register and money handling, receiving products, counting and checking in produce. Knowledge of vitamins and healthy foods.
Pros
Disocunts
Cons
Hours
beware
Grocery Manager/Asst. Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 21, 2017
what a Joke !!
they talk the talk but don't Walk the walk
regionals are uneducated in grocery
corporate is always changing policy's trying to get it right
HR is useless. took me 3 weeks to get my final pay because there was no one in parole (everyone quit)
don't ever call the HR hot line they told my asst manager about me calling the (confidential ) hot line

the cheapest company I have encountered

one week we didn't get pay checks ( the day the stock crashed )
Pros
a job
Cons
no life
Stressful and inconsistant schedule
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Salem, OROctober 13, 2017
I love to learn and to help people so the customer service part is enjoyable. That's about it. I can't plan much beyond a week to two weeks because the schedule is always changing. I have been treated unfairly by management multiple times.
A job that requires marketing, teaching, cooking, event planning, and retail work.
Nutritional Health Coach (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 10, 2017
You will wear many hats with the NHC role. You will gain great experience teaching, marketing, and will be trained on science-based nutrition. This role gives you a lot of freedom and responsibility a like. It's a great fit for passionate and self-motivated candidates who want to inspire his/her community to achieve health and wellness.

Want to know more about Natural Grocers?

Ask a question
Productive, busy, fun place to spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week
Dairy/Frozen Manager (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COOctober 9, 2017
Working at Natural Grocers has been incredible. I've learned how to be a manager and oversee about 25-30 employees, I've learned how to order, and so much more. A typical day for me either includes shooting an order for product to come in the following day, or stocking the order that was shot the previous day. Of course there's always going to be other things to constantly be doing if neither of those things need to be done though. I really enjoy the environment that I work in and love the type of customers that we bring into our store.
Pros
Discounts, customer type, great environment, close to home
Cons
Compensation
Good Vibe / Critical Management
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXOctober 2, 2017
The Company is hard to judge. every store is different. My current store lacks encouragement and proper training. The manager micro manages and is not uplifting or encouraging. Morale is very low. No one is ever worthy of a raise. If you want to move up forget it. not happening. Favorites are so apparent. They get away with not preforming there jobs. Our new assistant isn't even allowed to do anything. The Ex assistant is still running the store. Huddles are just a session of how bad you are and how no matter what, you suck. Nothing about how good we are doing. We don't do bad. We only focus on bad.

My first store in Colorado was awesome. They were positive and inspiring. If you were struggling they would talk to you with respect and help you figure out what the problem was. They also rewarded you for doing a good job. Meetings were about our positives and how to fix the negatives. Taking ideas and actually seeing them transpire. Encourage us to step out and try new things with promotions in store.
Pros
Vitamin Bucks-Staff is Great!
Cons
Store Manager
As with all Jobs, it has it's pros and cons. It's one of the best companies I've worked for.
Receiving Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAOctober 1, 2017
Over all it's a great place to work. It's starting to lean more into the corporate world. This started when they make their stocks public. And the 5 founding principals are becoming less and less of an actual example of the company. Particularly, the one about employees. As the work/home life balance is always off. The store managers I doubt, since they have to work so hard have a great balance. And anyone who ends up being a department manager gets great benefits. Usually, from where I am a set schedule and decent hours. But, the overall organization of everything is kind of ridiculous, assuming since one store in another state makes a certain amount of money, means that they need the same amount of staff in another store in a different part of the united states is completely off. So they have a lot to work on.

But, I state again. Best company I've worked for.
Pros
Employees care about each other, Great benefits and discounts, Great learning and growing opportunities
Cons
Management is getting lost, and a lot of under-communication is happening between stores and the higher ups, The expected tasks of one person is more like for 3 people at a time, I did my best every day and still had management hounding me to do more, be more, get more done
Undesireable
Dairy/Frozen Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 18, 2017
This was a tough place to work. It taught me to sink or swim in my position. The pay was less than satisfactory for the work i had to perform. I learned allot, and I am grateful for the opportunity. I felt as though the staff on the store level was underappreciated, including store and upper management. I would recommend this as a job to challenge yourself, to improve yourself and to better your skills in a fast paced environment with a consistency in multitasking.
Pros
trial by fire training
Cons
poor organization, treats staff poorly
demanding job with work/home life inconsistency
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDSeptember 13, 2017
Pretty steady flow of customers throughout the day. I acquired proper cash handling skills and strengthened my communication skills, I also learned a wealth of knowledge about supplements. Management is always inconsistent, fast turn over rate. Youthful culture. Hardest part of the job is the inconsistency with scheduling, they are not as flexible as they make themselves out to be. You definitely are treated as a slave to the inconsistent hours. I enjoyed meeting unique customers daily and learning more about supplements.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short breaks & terrible management
Not much to say
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COSeptember 8, 2017
I have really nothing to say about this company. The owners are not friendly at all and could care less about there employees and ALL about taking care of the CEOs only!.
Good intentions but poor decision making
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 6, 2017
Natural Grocers was founded over 60 years ago based on 5 founding principles. Most of these principles are still enforced today, including quality and affordability of what they sell and a focus on education for customers. The area that is truly lacking is the "commitment to employees." Due to some VERY fast growth the past five years after going public, the company has unfortunately lost sight of the fact that the employees, particularly the managers, are the people who keep the stores afloat. It's so disheartening to want to succeed and support the mission of the company but to be perpetually crippled by the insane hours, lack of labor, lack of funding, and lack of training and support from the home office. It's exhausting to hire people on and attempt to train and develop them only to constantly have them leave for better pay somewhere else. You can feel the stress levels of employees on all levels as they're all doing the work of two to three people, but the managers bear the brunt of the pressure since they are the only salaried staff and overtime for hourly employees is rarely allowed, even when stores are down multiple people or managers. The company claims to be so focused on the customer service aspect, but it's hard to reconcile that with the lack of employees actually available to provide customer service to the patrons. I have no doubt that they mean well, but the executive team is very out of touch with what it is actually like in the stores. Morale is low right now, and there is little confidence in the executive team to make the right decisions for the  more... continued growth of the company. I truly hope that the people who make the big decisions at home office gets the message because I want to see the company succeed.  less
Pros
Benefits, vitamin bucks, discount
Cons
Not enough labor, not enough support, lack of training, pay too low
Serious work environment, sometimes too serious
Cashier/Produce (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WASeptember 1, 2017
Making promises to give workers opportunities to make more after reaching a year of working with company but not fullfilling and delivering. Constantly getting more and more involved with workers personal lives when not needed
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Drama
Good for Part Timers
Nutritional Health Coach (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 31, 2017
I started at a different Natural Grocers store as a part timer and loved the staff, manager, and customers. I then moved up to a Nutritional Health Coach position and thought it would be enjoyable. However, I don't think the same way anymore now that I am in a different store. The manager here is hard to communicate with and the job itself is very stressful with an overload of work to do. As a health coach, I want to improve people's lives, not market the company. I feel at a loss where to even start on my long to-do list.
Pros
Employee discount, fun with the right crew
Cons
Management can make or break the job, overwhelming job duties
Would Recommend
Vitamins Manager / Department Head (Former Employee) –  Sedona, AZAugust 29, 2017
I enjoyed my time at Natural Grocers. I found that the environment was balanced. The company has high standards and values. Management could be improved.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Natural Grocers. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8