Naval Medical Center Portsmouth Employee Reviews

Good Place to start
Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJune 1, 2017
People here will teach you well. Civilians and military personnels work in harmony. case loads vary each day and there are good days and bad days. i highly recommend this place.
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAMay 26, 2017
I loved working at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth! The work environment was great, the command was always hosting events to improve morale. Job security was very good as it was a government position. The pay was decent but the benefits were unbeatable!
Pros
Benefits, Work Morale
Great work place
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAMay 15, 2017
Great place to work been here for almost 7 years and the job is great and the people are wonderful. I work as a contractor and the only problem is the new contractor lower our pay, even though we have oven 10 years experience. Hopefully they will be bought out by someone that understands you pay for experience.
Pros
Great work place
Cons
Traffic
Working at NMCP
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAMay 15, 2017
The overall morale at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth was high. Everyone got along with everyone, which made the workday less stressful. I started off working at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth so I learned so much from working there.
Supports staff's happiness
Emergency Department RN (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VaMay 1, 2017
Environment provides excellent learning opportunities given it is a teaching hospital. The management provides for employee breaks and your scheduled time is truly your scheduled time. There is no running over shifts expected.
Awesome!
Head of General Surgery, Pediatrics Service (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAApril 13, 2017
Loved my assignment there. The staff was nice. Management cared about the well being of the employees. I was mainly in the Pediatric rooms but it was a lot of fun!
Rewarding
LPN (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAFebruary 2, 2017
I love working here. It is very rewarding. You meet so many great people from so many different places. Parking is the most frustrating thing about this job.
Coworkers are great, management needs work
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJanuary 15, 2017
They pay pretty well, that's the only good thing about them. They are rather shady, as in they hired someone with no recent x-ray experience as full-time instead of giving the position to an internal candidate as companies normally do. If you get hired as PRN, be prepared to basically not have a job. It is literally only if someone calls out or wants a day off. They gave me a ton of hours in the beginning and out of nowhere took me off the schedule, forcing me to move back home until I can find a more stable job. They basically never get back to you if you have payroll questions, I email numerous times with nothing in response which is unacceptable. I would absolutely not recommend this company and I wish I would have heeded this advice from others on Glassdoor, they complain of very similar issues. Bottom line is they seem like they couldn't care less about their employees, just keeping their numbers right for the companies they contract with. And if you want to get out of your contract early, be prepared to pay a few hundred dollars.
Pros
pay, coworkers
Cons
management, lack of communication, don't seem to care about employees
Nmcp
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VADecember 30, 2016
If you do your job and don't worry about the drama of other people, you'll be fine. It's what you make of it just like with anything else.
Military base
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VADecember 4, 2016
Job was simple. Maintained security thru out facility. Transferred callers to proper personnel that were not in need of security. Kept tabs on the infant security system.
Typical Hospital
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VASeptember 26, 2016
Meets standards of medical facilities in the area. No complaints of work requirements.Military positions usually differ with staffing of people which always fluctuates due to military needs.
Department with alot of moving parts
Command Sponsor Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VASeptember 13, 2016
I worked in the Human Resource office for the Naval Hospital. A typical day would always start off high paced and tend not to slow down until around 1pm. I learned more about the civilian human resources as well as defined multitasking to a science. My co-workers are well diverse with a mix of active duty military as well as civilian counter parts.
Pros
Multitasking
Cons
Poor training
Supply Technician (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAApril 29, 2016
Very good learning experience here and good people. Management is good and does actually care about employees. Jobs are open frequently but advancement is mostly handpicked and not based on earning.
Pros
Conradery
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunity
Ready for bigger and better things.
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAApril 1, 2016
Separating from the Navy.

Good healthcare facility. From the patient side this hospital is great.

From the Military employee this was a difficult command to work at. Very large and hard to promote. Great co-workers which helped alot in my time there.
Productive place and great staff
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAFebruary 22, 2016
I started out as a phlebotomist and fell in love with the occupation, I had many experienced coworkers that helped guide me along the way. I felt that the great work environment contributed to hang such awesome coworkers!
Very low pay scale for experience
Lead Sonographer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAFebruary 9, 2016
I love working here however, the compensation is well below industry standards and there is no room for advancement. The commute is convenient and the hours and benefits are adequate.
Pros
Easy commute
Cons
No room for advancement, low compensation
Good working environment according to relatives employed in this company.
Persistent worker. (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VADecember 3, 2015
According to relatives working with the company, workers are knowledgeable in what they are doing. They are hard workers and proficient in making their products.
Everyday is adventurous
General Laboratory Manager (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VASeptember 4, 2015
Very productive days, inovation and most technical.Supervision of 75 emploiyees to include enlisted military and civilian staff members. My laboratory has 7 divisions areas to manage.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Salaried employee slow advancement
Labor and Delivery RN
Government Service Employee GS (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAAugust 23, 2015
first job out of nursing school. great platform to learn critical thinking skills for OB/Women's Health issues. Very stressful at times when provider was overbearing.

Enjoyed the one on one nursing that each patient received.
Stable employment
Health Systems Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJuly 14, 2015
Over all its a job that over time, your co-workers are more like family. Easy going atmosphere. But you really have to form good relationships if you are going to advance.
Pros
Stable employment
Cons
Advancement opportunities are very slow

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2