Navarro Research and Engineering Employee Reviews

Depends on which contract
Manager (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMay 4, 2017
Navarro services a number of different government contracts, and the Navarro experience, I am told, varies wildly between contracts. I will only speak to my experience.
Navarro's culture of worker abuse is so systemic that the Wikipedia entry on workplace bullying reads as an internal training manual, (in my opinion.)
Pros
It keeps you from starvation
Cons
Makes you doubt your sanity.
Poor managers, high turnover
Environmental Professional (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COMarch 24, 2017
I was brought in on the new contract which Navarro sued to get. They were not prepared to manage it well, however. My male boss was sexist, played favorites, then threw his employees under the bus. If female, one was not supposed to speak up or be heard. Anachronistic, insulting, fearful place to work for. Manager communicated up, but not down. Kept his bosses happy, but could not manage his own people well. They use people, then let them go in poor form. There are better places to work for.
Pros
Beautiful part of the country
Cons
Very isolated town, highest suicide rate in US, no lunch room--drive to fast food or eat at desk, little camaraderie, not the most exciting work--maintaining former uranium processing sites which have been cleaned up.
Vindictive, unqualified management, scared employees
reserved (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COFebruary 28, 2017
Navarro does not vet their managers and consequently hires unqualified, vindictive people. The company increases profits by firing the qualified incumbents and hiring unqualified recent graduates. Discussions are interpreted as arguing with management. Employees are afraid for their jobs. Culture of intimidation and fear.
Cons
culture of fear
Productive and safe work enviorment
Technical Services Support and Laborer (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNMay 19, 2015
Navarro Research and Engineering is company that is well established. Terrific benefits and a great safety culture which makes the job worth while going to.
Great Employer
Contractor for US Dept. of Energy Project Support (Current Employee) –  Piketon, OHMarch 6, 2014
Awesome management, very clear communications. Excellent salary and benefits package.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Id/iq
Consulting work for US DoE
Subject Matter Expert (I&C) (Current Employee) –  SRS, SC USAJuly 18, 2013
Good relations with people of SRS.
Interesting and challenging work to introduce a culture of excellence.
Energetic environment, working with a mission
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Golden, COFebruary 7, 2013
Navarro Research and Engineering is a Federal Government contracting company. As such, employees primarily work to directly support the goals and missions of the US Department of Energy. Most sites have employees in intermingled workspace with their Federal counterparts. There are positives and negatives to this. A positive being efficiency of work, a negative being recognized discrepancies in the quality of employment (training, benefits, job security) as compared to a Federal counterpart, which leads to difficulty in maintaining morale. Along with supporting the Federal Government comes supporting the Federal Bureaucracy. While the overall mission of most projects and programs supported seem both noble and honorable, the day to day grind of paperwork, and back end workings, limits the impact of an individual position. This isn't so much a shortcoming of Navarro, as it is a reality of the area it operates within.
Pros
feel good about your mission
Cons
federal bureaucracy, lack of job security
Not a great first impression
Contractor to the Department of Energy (Former Employee) –  Golden, COFebruary 7, 2013
Management was only concerned with numero uno. We were numbers and profits to them.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
pretty much everything else.
Navarro Research and Engineering
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Golden, COJanuary 23, 2013
My position involved assisting in the management of over $2 Billion in energy grants from the Department of Energy. The majority of my duties involved traveling to 17 states and territories to monitor the program services offered by the weatherization portion of the ARRA (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act) program. This involved performing construction inspections of chosen properties receiving weatherization services including solar, mechanical equipment, roofing, insulation, windows and doors, etc., as well as State and agency financial and administration auditing. This position required approximately 75% travel with 25% in office. The office time was spent reviewing monthly and quarterly reports, project plans, spend plans, milestone reviews, and liaison between the Department of Energy and the States and agencies. I was also team lead for the Weatherization Training Center project in which training centers were developed in the United States in conjunction with colleges and universities or in a single capacity. This task involved traveling to the training center and inspecting facilities, approving new construction, performing instructor and curriculum reviews, and performing administrative and financial monitoring of the training centers. The hardest part of my position was seeing the amount of low income families and seniors that did not have heat or cooling in their homes and no money to pay for services. It was our task to go into the low income residences and help them by installing weatherization services designed to allow them warmer homes, lower cost energy  more... services and a better peace of mind. The most enjoyable part of my position, was helping those struggling individuals and seeing the joy on their faces.

The learning experiences in this position are much too large to put on paper. The constant technological training offered by the DOE was crucial to the position, and to the sustainability of the environment. The training received has been priceless, to say the least.
Pros
constant technology training, sustainability training, financial management training, grant management training, traveling, working in sustainability
Cons
contract position - position ends 1/31/13
Productive and challenging every day
Material Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYJanuary 18, 2013
I have created an entire purchasing system in 6 months.In my position, I create WO's, requisitions,purchase orders, and review invoices for approval. Also, recently I have become a supervisor for department.
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
14 hour days including travel