Navistar, Inc.

Navistar, Inc. Employer Reviews

Has a good view, can be fun
Field Service (Current Employee), Lisle, ILApril 10, 2014
Pros: work from home on night shift, also work from home one day week, get to travel
Cons: contractors do not get hired on as promised, have been furlowed during holidays, have not received any
Typical work day consist of making sure you are logged in to the cisco phone. Certain managers are very strict about punctuality your computer needs to be running and logged into phone on time. If not logged on exactly on time then you are considered late in the (WFM) Work force management system. Only CSO ( Customer Service Operations ) Uses WFM. You – more... have to log out of communicator to even use the bathroom and if you do not then it will count against you as not being productive in WFM. Lots of system issues and lack of urgency. You can be on time at work but marked late by WFM because computer can take almost 20 minutes to start up. Learned alot about Internationals Engine platforms and Parts distribuition and sourcing. Co workers are easy to get along with but some tend to use vulgar language and can be childish. almost everyone comes from a technical background which makes it easy to pick up trends and make good connections with the peopel you work with. Hardest part of job is the WFM system and annual reviews are now being stongly based off the WFM system. It is hard to get help and new information through engineering which increases tension when trying to support the product and provide troubleshooting steps to field support. – less
N/A
Engineering Intern/Contractor (Former Employee), Melrose Park, ILApril 3, 2014
Good Learning Experience in the Engineering and Business fields of the Automotive Industry.
Lack of management
Welder (Former Employee), Barton, ALApril 1, 2014
Pros: nothin at all
Cons: short breaks, no off days, benifits, management, equiment, everything
Worked at the same place for 4years at brand new plant building rail cars an loved until Navistar thought they should buy it. They took over an our insurance more than doubled and worked there for over a year and never got antother raise they wouldn't even tell us what top pay would be.i was an A Class welder makin the same as a forklift driver. Our – more... plant manger was hired to be a electrical engineer Then promoted to plant manger. Overall management sucked Not shocked at all at the financial trouble they are in – less
Challenging
Supply Chain Professional (Current Employee), LisleMarch 26, 2014
Collaborative environment, challenging goals, great people
Great Job, Excellent Co-Workers, Unfortunate Plant Closings
Multicraft Technician (Current Employee), Madison, ALMarch 13, 2014
Pros: excellent learning potential
Cons: layoffs
This has been a great job, I've learned alot on
the control side. Excellent group of people to
work with. The management at the Huntsville location has been terrific. They've done every possible to make this a place you want to be. The entire maintenance team works together: couldn't ask for a better group of guys.
A company that used to be good
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALMarch 12, 2014
Pros: 4 10 hour days, good co-workers
Cons: management, compensation, job security
Another example of a once great company with a long history going down the toilet. How do you expect a company to change or transform when management is the problem. No direction, no vision, no focus or willingness to change. I would not be surprised to see this company filing for bankruptcy in the next 1-2 years. I hope not because the only thing good – more... about the place were my co-workers. Executives are currently keeping investors happy with all the layoffs and plant closures but when the music stops and there isn't anything left to cut, there won't be a chair left to sit on. You can't cut your way to profitability NAVISTAR MANAGEMENT!!!! You have to have a good quality product that customers want to buy. Not a thrown together mess of the cheapest foreign supplier parts and out-dated and tired designs. The reputation of this company is ruined because of poor management decisions and high warranty costs that come from designing and producing junk.

•A typical day at work - wondering if I will have a job tomorrow

•What you learned - how NOT to run a company

•Management - Utterly horrible. The only thing there fit to manage was the Titanic, and its only because we all know how that turned out!!!!!!!!

•Your co-workers - the best part of my job

•The hardest part of the job - getting up and coming to work everyday

•The most enjoyable part of the job - when I quit – less
Challenging but rewarding
Commodity Manager (Current Employee), Lisle, IllinoisMarch 10, 2014
Navistar is a challenging but rewarding environment, where you are focused on tasks based on strategic goals and cost savings initatives. Time management and multi-tasking skills are highly useful and you can see your work impacting the companies bottom-line. Most difficult thing is the challenge of increasing market share for our organization as volumes – more... are dropping and suppliers are requesting increases, challenge is to use strong negotiation tactics to keep prices low in order to get market share back to keep Navistar in business. – less
Really bad times
Product Development Engineer (Current Employee), Melrose Park, ILMarch 9, 2014
Pros: good people, improvement in processes
Cons: not making profit, too many chiefs and not enough indians
People are leaving every day and not getting replaced. Employees are asked to work "harder" as if we weren't already, since we are doing the job of 2+ people. Work-Life balance has gone down hill because of this, and have been asked for weekend support at times. I really enjoy working at Navistar, but the times in which the company stands make it a – more... not very friendly work place. People there are great. My immediate managers are decent and do not demand anything crazy, unless is coming from above them. – less
Best place I've ever worked. If the plant wasn't closing I'd retire here.
Assembly maintenance tech (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALMarch 8, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere, good pay and benefits
Cons: having to call for technical support in the middle of the night.
Working nights I have my projects to work on if production doesn't have any glitches. I've expanded my machining and design skills and enjoy going to work. The people I work with are easygoing and try to do good work.
The hardest part is having to leave when the shutdown comes.
The most enjoyable part is doing what I can while I'm there.
Ok place to work.
CNC machinist (Current Employee), Huntsville,AlabamaMarch 4, 2014
Pros: cheap benifits.
Cons: bad management decisions.
Management needs improvement. Overall work conditions are ok.
Was okay till management decisions caused a loss of jobs (layoff)
Machine Operator (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALMarch 2, 2014
Great people and good environment, the upper management on the corporate is poor. There is an a lot of wasted money and poor decisions which is slowly leading to the demise of this corporation.
Good work environment, people were friendly and fun to work around
Line production worker (Former Employee), Springfield, OHFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: overtime, paid time off, hours
Cons: training time, job stability, organization
It wasn't a stable job. Lay-offs happened frequently. A typical work day would be about 8-9 hours. I installed harness covers and power steering hose for most of the day.
Good company, good balance of work and life
Controls Engineer, Machining Division (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: financial instability
Basically a very good company. Previous financial problems have been difficult to over come. Decisions being made right now will make Navistar profitable in the future. Good company that will eventually shine again.
Navistar
Electrical Engineering Team Lead (Current Employee), Lisle, ILFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: low pressure. beautiful campus. good location
Cons: navistar is struggling which makes it a difficult place to work, many employees have been layed off.
Work/life schedule is very managable. Work environment is good. Very nice campus. Good benefits for employees including full cafeteria, workout facility, basketball and volleyball courts and putting green.
Productive and fun place with a ping pong table
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALFebruary 26, 2014
Good company to work for, but long term security is currently non-existan.
due your job and it was ok
INDUSTRIAL ELECTRONIC ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 22, 2014
Pros: lots of over time
Cons: last minute forced over time
the gime gime guys were always there every contract to threaten your job going to mexico
I am okay with the work place and its very cool environment.
Sr. Informatica Developer (Current Employee), Naperville, ILFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: no
Cons: no
I am totally happy with the current project and work place. Its very cool environment.
Really enjoyed my job here
Security Guard (Former Employee), SpringfieldFebruary 19, 2014
I enjoyed every aspect of working at this company however due to another company taking over I was laid off. I want to continue my time as a security guard though as I really liked this type of job.
Navistar was a good company to work for.
3rd Shift Lead Electrician (Former Employee), Melrose Park, ILFebruary 14, 2014
Overall a good company. They have good benefits and compensation.
However more layoffs and callbacks that I would have perferred.
Highly trained work force
Millwright (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: experience
Cons: n/a
Navistar is a good place for a career. The employees are highly trained and continue their knowledge base with on the job training. The experienced employees are always willing to help. The management has regrouped in the last few years. This promises that the focus of the company will be in one direction. Being, engineering and sales.

1 2 3 4 5

About Navistar, Inc.

Navistar, Inc., a primary operating subsidiary of Navistar International, manufactures medium- and heavy-duty trucks bearing the – Read more

Navistar, Inc. Photos