Navy Exchange Employee Reviews in United States

Navy exchange
Loss Prevention Investigator / Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 24, 2016
The store is apart of the department of defense. Only authorized customer may shop at the store, this includes active, or retired military personnel (MILITARY ID verification takes place before all transactions). The atmosphere for the NEX is very professional and mature. Being empathetic and understanding is a very large part of the job, due to all of the older customers that shop there. Active military personnel shop there as well, and they deserve to be greeted with the highest level of customer service. The NEX is a perfect place to work in order to say thank you to all of those who serve or have served in the military.
Pros
Opportunity to learn how to treat customers of all ages equally, great benefits
This government job has excellent benefits
Forklift Operator/ Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 20, 2016
I loved working at Nexcom and worked there 7 years. This job had great hours with no weekends, holiday pay, and excellent benefits package.
Pros
Hours and benefits
Cons
Company relocated to Suffolk, Va
n/a
Associate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 14, 2016
depending on the location, they are very bias towards employers and play favoritism. they transfer well, but take pay that you have earned if you transfer to a smaller store.
great place to work
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 12, 2016
the navy exchange was a great place to work the people kind to me and would help explain a job skill if I did not quite grasp it the first time around.
Military Family
Personnel Assistant/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mayport, FLJune 12, 2016
As a military wife, being apart of the Navy Exchange kept me close to the military life I loved. Working with people from different cultures gave me insight to other lifestyles. It was enjoyable.
Pros
Being around the military
Very good place to work
WARE HOUSE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMay 30, 2016
Opportunities for advancement great co workers and environment pay is low but hours are great and over time is available. A great place to get into the system and advance
Pros
FULL TIME, WEEK DAYS ONLY
Cons
HOURLY PAY IS LOW
Needs overhauling!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  ‘Ewa Beach, HIMay 30, 2016
I've worked at different locations and departments but I have to say the mini mart is the hardest. Pay should be reevaluated cause duties are of stocker, gas attendant and cashier altogether but the other Mini marts have a higher pay for their store worker (stocker) and gas attendants. No advancement for this particular mini mart, they've had vacancies but they keep bringing people from other departments and locations instead of promoting from within. I wasn't a supervisor but did supervisor duties for about two years but they keep bringing people from the outside that I end up training. Employee turnover is bad so it was always shorthanded. Employees there were barely recognized for excellent work performance. Workload can get overwhelming because the shift were almost always shorthanded. Enjoyed dealing with customers, they were very friendly and the former crew were awesome. All of them are gone now though. Management support and skills isn't the greatest. Seems to me like job issues were falling on deaf ears. This Mini mart needs an overhaul, a lot of things are broken specially upper management!
Pros
Friendly customers
Cons
Endless
Fun Place To Work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  GuamMay 26, 2016
A typical day at work can be pretty busy. I've learned a lot of new things. The Management there was good. Co-workers were good to work with. I enjoyed working there. I got to meet a lot of new people and learn new things.
Enjoy helping military members and their families
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Point Loma, CAMay 22, 2016
I enjoy working with my fellow co-workers and the benefits are excellent! I have also learned many multiple tasks which have helped me to gain better knowledge and know-how in running a business more smoothly with my fellow team members of this store.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
lack of growth to advance within NEXCOM, as a whole
cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, TXMay 22, 2016
take money from customers and stock shelves. i think this is a typical store. they act like you are not suppose to have a life outside of work,
Lead food and Vending
Lead Food and Vending Sub Base (Former Employee) –  Kings Bay, GAMay 20, 2016
A typical day consisted of coming to work at about 5 am and getting off about two. Which gave you time to do some stuff after work. With three cafeterias running there was a lot to do as far as ordering and ensuring that the personnel showed up to work.
Pros
Work hours
Cons
Pay, When the base shut down you were out a pay check for that two weeks
Good team of collegues
Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 20, 2016
NEXCOM provided:
- Good work environment;
- Diverse audit projects;
- Travel opportunities nationally and abroad;
- Strong support for continuing education.
Serving our Sailors as they serve our Country.
Seasonal/Temporary (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92136May 18, 2016
I was a sales clerk within the computer department, and I would setup new computer displays from both Apple and Windows based IOS'. I also helped try and fix anything a customer needed fixing, if it was simple, otherwise I would ask for help from the technicians that actually fixed the computers before sending them back, if needed. The work was challenging as I had to also sell the computers while cleaning and maintaining them and the area I was in charge of. It was fun to work there as the customers were great, especially the active duty Sailors and Marines that were coming back home.
Enjoyable workplace with regular customers
Softlines Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Marysville, WAMay 18, 2016
As a softlines supervisor, I have MOD shifts everyday. I do all the special orders for our customers. My team and I assure the sales floor is up to company standards while providing Premier Customer Service. We process freight 2 days a week and do ad set once a week. I learned how to do planograms, want slips, NIS, and product knowledge. The co-workers I work with are down to earth, fun, happy people. I enjoy going to work and seeing them everyday. The hardest part of my job would probably be the constant change that would happen at the store. When we learned a new way to do things, I would train my associates and then they would change it again. I felt like there was too much always changing. The most enjoyable part of my job would definitely the customers. A lot of our customers are retired military and are frequent shoppers. It is nice to get that relationship built with you customers and see their smiling faces everyday. It is also nice to meet the new military men and women that get stationed here.
Was alright
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  HonoluluMay 9, 2016
seasonal cashiering job. Was okay. I wish starting cashiers got paid more since it considered a Government job. If you worked the floor as sales associate you get a way higher starting pay than cashiers.
Pros
Got to shop in store. Good place to work
Cons
Nothing against NEX. I just hate being a cashier.
Needs to learn about safety
Clerk Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 8, 2016
A regular day at work was always worried about the safety of the warehouse,proper training, better communication among employee and management.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 5, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting different people. You come across many different personalities. It is a very diverse atmosphere.
Navy Exchange is a good job for advancement
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 23, 2016
I enjoyed working at the Exchange and seeing the growth you can experience from the company. It was a great experience while attending college.
love the environment, customers and my co workers
Associate (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 21, 2016
I love working with my co workers, and my customers are very friendly. my supervisors are the best. My Supervisors always depend on me to watch over my co workers, while they take care other parts of our Gas Station and customers.
Customers Are Satisfied, Employees Aren't
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Patuxent River Naval Air Station, MDApril 18, 2016
It's a game of managers & supervisors vs store associates. Their word against yours and guess who wins EVERY hand?

We are all trained on registers. But there are times where we will have a long line of customers & managers/supervisors will walk by without helping the cashiers take care of customers. What kind of premier customer service is that?

We're understaffed and overworked. One person doing the work of three.

They claim they are interested in your growth & development within the company, but it's not true. I've expressed to my supervisor and manager several times I wanted to learn about other departments, but nothing changed.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Management, Pay