Navy Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Worst employer ever!
MSR (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAApril 25, 2014
Training promised help when we got on the floor. NOT! All "help," all reviews are geared to what we do wrong. Rules change constantly and seem to matter more than quality of work. Employees are watched and listened to constantly. Time requirements run to the second. Phones ring constantly, never any time to breathe, callers are rude, think they know more than the workers, constantly demand to speak to supervisors when they dislike answers; workers are expected to be "respectful" to those who are rude and demanding. I cried while driving to work most days. If this is a "Top 100" I dread what others are.
They offer "free incentives" such as coffee, lunch bags- they should put money into computers and headphones that work properly and easily. During busy times they don't allow supervisors or coaches off the phones, either, so workers get no assistance.
Pros
decent pay when looked at by itself.
Cons
everything. lunch and breaks shortened by time requirements, rules, constsant surveillance, exceptionally stressful work.
Typical workday
STAFF ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAJanuary 5, 2014
1. Files are easily retrievable, logically organized, clearly labeled, and neat, with documents
usually filed within 3-5 days of receipt;
2. Calendar is consistently accurate with proper additions and deletions, reflecting realistic
scheduling, with changes made quickly, and a hard copy provided to supervisor in accordance
with personal preference, with no more than three noted errors per quarter;

3. Travel arrangements are realistic, meet the traveler's expectations in terms of timeliness and
accommodation to extent possible and confirmation is received prior to travel. Travel orders and
vouchers are completed in accordance with regulations, policy, and automated procedures.
Vouchers are completed usually within 3 days of receipt of traveler's documentation; and

4. Draft correspondence is clear, logical, follows Plain Language guidelines, and is presented to
supervisor generally __ working days before due date or ___ days after receipt of initiating
event.
Extremely busy environment trouble shooting servers and responding to customer help desk tickets
Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAJuly 31, 2014
A typical day at work consist of monitoring the various application servers that provide communication functionality for our very large Call Center environment as well as other departments that we service. We trouble shoot major alarms on all of our applications that we are responsible for and if needed we contact the vendors if unusual occurrences take place that are out of the norm due to no intervention on our part. Our PBX team works together to achieve the common goal to maintain the standards stressed by NFCU.

The most challenging part is completing changes that are critical to reroute call volume traffic during sudden Inclement Weather conditions or other nature related occurrences. These changes must be completed in a timely manner and it is extremely important that they are accurate. I enjoy working with my coworkers.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
on-call hours
Productive, fulfilling, & fun work environment
Funds Disbursement Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAMarch 14, 2015
The job allows for both personal and career growth. My management are some of the most supportive, sincere people I've ever come across and my coworkers make every day enjoyable. I love working with the credit union members and clients on the phone daily. This is one of the most fulfilling parts of the job- to interact with the people I am assisting directly. It is this fulfillment that makes the, sometimes 90 minute commute (one way), all the more bearable. Outside of the commute I wouldn't say that there is anything I would classify as hard per se but there are certainly challenging moments. When a client is upset there are tense moments which simply heighten my pride and sense of accomplishment when my team & I resolve the situation. Every day I learn more about operating systems and programs on the computer, how to interact with people from all walks of life and where I want to be ultimately in my own life.
Great Benefits and Great Pay But too Strict
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJune 21, 2014
This company is based off military regulations, so they pay well and their benefits are great but they micromanage everything. I learned to conform and never speak my mind from working at this job, as that you could lead to trouble. I also learned to use more courtesy words when speaking to others. I loved my coworkers, but my manager was unpleasant and never had anything positive to say to encourage us to do well, as we were told in training that they would do. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping members with their banking needs. The hardest part of the job is that they want everyone to be a perfect robot and you are scored on everything so the evaluations were hard because one word like "ok" or "sure" or "no problem" and you could lose 6-10 points on an evaluation.
Pros
free food sometimes, great pay and benefits, casual fun clothing days.
Cons
short breaks, military like strictness, expectations set too high to meet.
Former Employee. Vienna VA
Mortgage Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAJune 13, 2013
Navy federal Credit Union- Should be on the 100 worst place to work at.They treat contractors like if they were children no respect for there own employees. Navy Federal male managers give promotion to women who are young and cute but don't know what the heck there doing. Most of the managers instead of helping get there coworkers help they need they will be on the computer shopping. They make so much money and brag about but they can't afford to give more money. What company hires you after being a temp for years and instead of increase you will get decrease because u get health benefits. I have never heard of that. Every year they have a pip which it depends how much they make they will get a bonus. The contractors work just as hard and don't even get a thank you or a bonus. Navy Federal is the worst place to work and if anybody says different they lied
Cons
1 hour break for 15 hours work dsy

Comment – July 18, 2013

This is the same when I worked for the Navy for 10 years in DC, these young females with their skirts up to there and shirts down to there get all the promotions and advancements but the ones really doing the work get zip. Yep, been there, done that. I was laid off in 2010 and in all honesty, I miss not working for the Navy but I sure don't miss being a contractor.

Avoid this company, no respect for educated staff members
Sr. DB2 Systems Programmer (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAApril 17, 2013
If you like being treated like a 12 year old, then Navy Federal is the place for you! An example of a recent email (April 2013) from first-line management to senior technical staff... "All employees seen with your shirttail hanging out will be sent home."

If you have a graduate degree, or even a bachelor's degree, Navy Federal is NOT the place for you. You will be overqualified, and they will NOT respect you or your education.

Technical IT staff are often required to work at 4:00 AM, two sometimes three times a week, for unending MONTHS. You are on-call "24x7".

There is NO corporate work-from-home policy. Permission to work from home is doled out by managers who love being "the boss man" instead of caring anything about their people.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
lousy "low trust" work environment; rude, uqualified and under-educated management; micromanagement of all staff

Comment – April 30, 2013

I have to agree with this review, if they didn't like you persay you would never make it. If you are asked don't tell, b/c they don't want to hear your opinion then you are not Navy Federal Material. A lot of the people / trainers were excellent with the exception of one, but on the first part 3DD they were excellent trainers but very clicky out there. If you did not come in as supervisor material forget it. If you came in under a contractor as we did benefits were worthless and you didn't get any of the NFCU perks until you were hired on which if you had an opinion as I did you would not be staying. No respect unless you were a robot and didn't say anything. Now pay and OT was great you can bank some real great $$ if you can put up with the rest.

Horrible management
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Diberville, MSAugust 3, 2013
My experience at NFCU was horrible. I've never been at a job were I had to choose between work and my family. Mgmt made you feel bad when you had a sick child or an illness yourself and needed time off. You accrue sick leave and annual leave but yet it's a problem getting time off. Mgmt states business need plays a factor in gettin requested time off. Business need wouldn't be an issue if the mgmt team wasn't running/firing their employees. The branch I worked for was very divided amongst its team leaders and employees. Mgmt abused their authority and showed acts of prejudice. I've never felt so degraded in my life. Since when does a top performer, educated, goal driven individual become an ineffective careless employee? Hmm sounds a little fishy to me. I think NFCU as a whole has good intentions but the individuals they have managing are ruining the reputation.
The company has its own cafeteria and gym.
Equity Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAFebruary 10, 2015
I would go in and check members account if they had paid their past due account. I would follow up with member who did not make the payments on their accounts check the personal accounts that they had with the Credit Union and trans the money to pay their past due accounts. Explain to customers about possible litigation and repossession. The co workers got along with each other and we helped each other out when needed. Management was helpful and understanding of their employees. The hard part was sending the loans to litigation and repossession specially when you knew that some of the customers had not funds to pay. My favorite part was when we were able to refinance a loan or send the member to our personal finance management team.
Pros
we would receive a bonus every month and luncheon.
Cons
when peak season came was here we had to stay very late
Is this Heaven? No, it's Navy Federal
Sr. Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAFebruary 8, 2015
This company is not just about making money, it's about being a part of a family. It's about helping others and enjoying success along the way. Small wins turn into big victories as you can quickly advance through the ranks. I met people who were on the latter half of their careers at Navy Federal that essentially started working for NFCU in landscaping and now is running analytics for one of the business units. This is a place where your knowledge will grow and where you won't leave each day feeling dissatisfied.

I left for an opportunity in another city/state however if the opportunity arises again, I would absolutely return to working for Navy Fed.
Pros
free state of the art gym, annual bonuses are big relative to your income, and exposure to senior level executives, including the president & ceo
Cons
fast track advancement as not a lot of turnover
Robot Treatment of Employees
Branch Member Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJanuary 28, 2013
When members/customers treat their employees like (blank!!!) supervisors or managers don't care about the employee, they will tell you that you're feelings does not matter.

They want you to be like robots when dealing with mean and disrespectful members, you'll get in trouble or worst get terminated when these members complain about you when you try to defend yourself or react to the bad treatment. You basically have no right to feel anything.

These managers wanted to save themselves by not standing behind their employee when they are mistreated by customers.

They are bias when it comes in promoting employees, they always say they look at the experience yet they will hire/promote people that are new in the company vs. tenured employees because they have managerial experience, the (blank) with that.
Pros
free shirt
Cons
bad managers
Good company but upper management is out of touch
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Stafford, VAAugust 19, 2012
Good job to start a person's career but upper management is really deceptive. Part time employees hours get cut without notice while giving full time employees overtime to compensate for the lack of man power. Plus you can't get another job because you have to be on call from 9am to 6 pm every day. Navy Federal wants part timers to take on the responsibility of full timers but do nothing to take care of the part time employees. Takes a least 6 months to get to full time status. Overall if you are looking for a job to rise up quick then this is not the company for you. Good job for woman with children who do not want to work more than 25 hours a week for the first couple of years of the kids life and then you can move up in the company once they start pre-school. Thats how long it takes to make it to full time status.
H-E-L-L HOLE
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAJanuary 25, 2015
I thought this company would be a great place to work for. Starting out you receive a job in the call center, which is literally a sweat shop for back to back calls with angry members. The company allots you a certain amount of time to use as bathroom time during the month. If you go over this allotted time, you are reprimanded. You have to let them know in advance if you are going to have to take a sick day (how are you supposed to know that). You are considered essential personnel, so you must be there everyday on time even if there is 10 foot of snow. If your stuck on the interstate behind a traffic accident, you must use your saved annual leave time for the time you missed. No time for family, no time for anything but "assisting members." Things have gotten so bad I've seriously thought about quitting to work at a gas station...
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
Poor Training and management
MSR (Former Employee) –  Montgomery,AlJuly 28, 2013
The pay is great here but management has poor training they expect you to know everything and jump and help them and I felt harassed about my attire daily from asst. manager until I didn't like going to work. She focused more on attire than teaching me my duties. There is no privacy when you do something wrong everyone knows your busy(other employees). They joke and pick fun of other workers no professoinal structure and they cover their owns backs. Everyone talks about each other and then smile in one another face. This is truly one place you really need to have a strong tolerates for. You are replaceable and no job security at all. I moved away from the area, however I made friends but management made me dislike the area even more.
Pros
pay rate
Cons
poor training and not caring about the employees, you are replaceable by all means
Would not recommend
Mortgage Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 22, 2014
Notice all of the bad reviews on here were from the Mortgage department, just read those as they are true I will add that they do not compare to how much you get paid for closed files at the other lenders... I will only state the facts:

Low base pay ($35k starting) and low annual bonus 2% to 6%
Do not get paid bip points on closed loans (paid by closed loan tiers for example 9 closed loans pays $50...)
Over whelming work load, 50 to 100 in the pipeline
Closing 10 to 30 loans per month (close this many with another lender and your making six figures...)
Processors are slow so a lot of closing are delayed
Mandatory overtime
On call until 9pm 365 days a year
Co workers are crying from the work load (literally)
No life/work balance
Low quality training
No management support
List goes on

The end
Pros
401k fully vested after 2 years
Cons
everything
productive and fun place
Senior Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VASeptember 13, 2013
 Worked with Websphere servers on UNIX environment.
 Designed and implemented the presentation layer using Java Server Pages, tag libraries, and cascading style sheets.
 Used the Serena Dimensions version control.
 Used Quality Control for bug tracking, issue tracking and project management.
 Set up build environment and built, configured, and deployed application to multiple servers.
 Deployment of application (EAR) on Websphere application server clustered environment, managing the servers, monitoring the server logs, creating the connection pools and data sources.
 Involved in production support and maintaining the application after production.
 Consistently met deadlines and exceeded expectations achieving recognition, resulting in increases in responsibilities.
Loved my position
Recruit Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILJuly 27, 2013
Being a lover of the people, I rather enjoyed working with presentations, and being in contact with interested parties of the credit union, as well as established members. I was in charge of giving presentations, that explained different aspects of the credit union (i.e. ordering checks, wiring money, setting up allotments, credit scores, and check cards). Being able to answer questions, and quite frankly heighten their enthusiasm in our banking facility was a real high for me, because I could be very influence, either way. It caused me to really up my vibe when orchestrating these presentations, as I really wanted to give up a great first impression of our credit union.
Pros
customer interaction
Cons
was not full time/needed internship credits for graduation
Great working environment
Mortgage Loan Closer (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLOctober 31, 2013
Great working environment!

As a mortgage loan closer, with a National Mortgage License, I worked with various products and loan types, closing loans throughout the United States. While at Navy Federal I worked with paperless file processing and multiple mortgage systems including Unifi, eClient and RemoteDocs to assist in preparing the loan figures as well as preparing and sending mortgage loan documents packages to the settlement agent. As a closer I reviewed, corrected and approved the HUD-1 for final closing figures as well as sending wires. The most rewarding aspect was maintaining relationships with title companies, processors, loan officers and most importantly the members.
Pros
onsite cafeteria, gym, dry cleaning
Cons
no job security
Stability and benefits, but lacking innovation and creativity
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  VAJanuary 22, 2015
If looking for stability, they've never had a layoff. The benefits make it difficult to leave. The perks alone make it superior to most jobs out there. Where it lacks is in its culture of progressive thinking. There isn't much, and progressive thinkers will quickly find themselves feeling confined. The "way" is a standard and the practice is rarely challenged. It's perfect for someone looking for a place from which to retire, but not so much for someone looking for a challenge.

If I had to work there forever, I wouldn't mind. If I had to leave, I'd regard it as an opportunity in disguise. Having said that, I'd recommend it as a place to work for any/everyone I know.
Pros
quality of life
Cons
difficult to reach one's potential
great work environment
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  orlando floridaJuly 19, 2013
My typical day at NFCU would be interacting with the families of the DoD including the active members as well. Coming from a military family, I truly enjoyed helping these families in all their financial needs. The co workers are amazing, most of them come from military backgrounds so they understand the military lifestyle. The hardest part of my job was doing the Pre Deployment Briefs for the soldiers and families of those soldiers being deployed for a period of time for training or for war. The most enjoyable part of my job was educating the deppers (marines, army, navy, airforce to be) on handling their finances.
Pros
ability to attend city of orlando events with the dod
Cons
sometimes had long nights and weekends