NBC Universal

NBC Universal Employee Reviews

Good people. Great Environment. Truly care about employees.
Producer/Editor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 5, 2016
Interesting & Creative Workplace. In the process of expanding their Creative business to encompass all NBCU networks. A wonderful place to work.
Pros
Ability to work from home when necessary.
Cons
Huge corporation, good people, fun environment
Host (Former Employee) –  Universal City, CAFebruary 4, 2016
I liked working here for the people, the customers and my coworkers were all great. The experience was so exciting. I liked that my job was never the same so it kept it entertaining for me.
Commercial Operations
Commercial Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2016
Working in traffic was a dead end. Commercial Operations is the black sheep of NBC. The people I got to work with were great and very helpful though.
Productive and fun work place
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 1, 2016
Making all types of coffee and non coffee drinks.
Meeting great people.
Fun environment! The most enjoyable part of the job is be able to go to the park for free.
Pros
Free Lunch, Health Care
Cons
Short Breaks
Ability to excel in a corporate environment.
Director, Corporate Events (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2016
Worked closely with national sales team to create, design and execute event marketing programs all over the world. The company had many smart, effective employees that I enjoyed working with.
fun
Pass Sales (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 25, 2016
friendly people, it was a very interactive place for me to learn about keeping track of money and learning about people all across the world
Great place to work.
National Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  not applicableJanuary 19, 2016
Overall company is great. Constant struggle between new comers and existing long term employees. Makes accomplishing tasks a little difficult.
Too big of a company to care for you as AN employee
Hostess, Food Runner,Server, Cashier, Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 18, 2016
Will hire you at one position and will train you in 5 other position so you can help them but the skills you learn do not get you any raise within the company. The company has higher minimum wage company wide than what the state offers but they will drain you for every penny they pay you. Even though the company's minimum wage is higher than the state, it really isn't much money if you are looking for a job that will pay up. If you are looking for a summer job just to pocket some extra cash, the company is great. You get free tickets to the park for your friends and family and tons of discounts all around Orlando but not a huge paycheck. In my Opinion the operation is TOO BIG TO CARE FOR YOU AS AN EMPLOYEE, meaning you can work as hard as you possible can; making a significant impact on your career is very hard. Since they can easily find people to replace almost any position, YOU no matter how good; are not worth their time and effort. Management politics is everywhere but handling that politics for very little money even after working so hard was not worth my time. If you are looking for a career, you may want to look elsewhere.
Pros
Free tickets to the parks, discounts around town
Cons
No benefits, low pay
Fun work place meeting people from all walks of life
Universal Staff Employee (Former Employee) –  Universal City, CAJanuary 12, 2016
I arrived 45 minutes early every day to set up cameras, monitors and pl systems. Since the last show I worked on on a regular basis was live, I had to be quick on my feet and ready for changes that happened instantly. Challengingly but I have always rolled with the punches and always think of what to do when the next step occurs.
The hardest part of the job was lifting all the equipment, when I moved on they replaced me with two people. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people.
Great Benefits Poor Growth
AE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 11, 2016
A typical day at NBC would mean an 8 hour shift (some departments are a 24 hour operation so that 8 hours wasn't necessarily am shifts).
If a Live Story came in, that 8 hours could then become an 'all-nighter' very easily. Luckily NBC was good about compensation, break times and possibly a hotel room if the shift went extremely long.

I learned how to handle various tasks at once from taking in a satellite feed to ingesting an audio take from the audio booth.

Management varied. Some departments had someone who was great at their job whereas some had management that offered poor solutions, irritated the staff and did not seem to get their position based on merit. Nepotism seemed obvious in these situations.

My co-workers were all team players and we assisted each other with new tasks or difficult ones. I enjoyed working with them and have not found a team to be as supportive in all of the other places I've worked.

The hardest part of the job was definitely knowing that as hard as you worked, as much as you tried to shine and hoped to move upwards and onwards, you just wouldn't. Upward mobility was basically unheard of. You were made to be happy in your position...permanently.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to work with breaking news and to have it voiced through the liberal views of NBC. I was happy to be part of that team.
Pros
Exciting Environment, Decent Benefits, Competitive Salary, Fair Labor Rules & Regulations
Cons
No Upward Mobility, Freeze on Staff Hiring, Nepotism

Want to know more about NBC Universal?

Ask a question
productive, and good salary
Audio Engineer (Current Employee) –  French Lick, INJanuary 11, 2016
I've mainly worked for NBC Golf. The majority of the work required me to travel but it was fun. It really is a productive working environment and co-workers are okay. It was a really good paying job so I enjoy working there.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
short breaks
Nice place to start
Stand Attendant (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CADecember 30, 2015
Fun and entertaining. Universal has its place in my heart. Because I work there for 9 years, I will not give it a second time around, however it was a fun kick start.
Pros
Fun place to work for a 1st job
Cons
Young environment
Hot lunches in bldg. And discount store inside bldg for employees
customer relations (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNDecember 29, 2015
Great place to work. I enjoyed my job with shop NBC , Answered calls and did up sales of merchandise. I learned to operate multi phone lines. and I worked for the president or the company on the Presidents line.
Pros
Great sales on items in store and on air items
Nice work Environment
Parking Attendant (Seasonal/On-Call) (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 23, 2015
I enjoyed working at universal studious it was a fun experience. My team members were friendly social people who were always positive.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No healthcare
Wonderful place to work
Live Stream Support Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTDecember 11, 2015
Very lucky and fortunate to work there. Couldn't ask for a better more respectful place to work and grow. Besides from the top of the line facilities the people have been amazing and helpful.
I love Mondays, mostly because the day flies by in a flash
Employed for Microsoft Servers and Network Admin (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2015
On a given day, during the early hours you will find me speaking to the clients, finding out – proactively – what their priorities are for the week, meeting with team for half hour to communicate the clients’ needs and organizing the team schedules around the client’s priorities. I do this on Monday so that the rest of the week is well organized and we can effectively use our team’s time in exceeding client’s expectations and avoid Friday evening surprises. Rest of the week goes in delivering the product(s), updating the status with the client, answering emails and calls from our global teams. My role involves extensive management responsibilities and staying organized is not an option.
Monotonous
Guest Services (Current Employee) –  Universal City, CADecember 4, 2015
Working at a theme park is never as fun as it seems, people on vacation always seem to leave their brains at home and their manners in their hotel room.
Pros
Beautiful woman from around the world.
Cons
Rude people
A great atmosphere and culture
Customer Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 29, 2015
This call center is high tech and stylish, an up beat atmosphere with many friendly outgoing team members. There is always restructuring and many changes in policies but lots of training.
Pros
free coffee, courtesy services and company ipad
Cons
must be able to deal with difficult customers
A professional atmosphere with room to grow
Manager, Corporate Security (Current Employee) –  NYC, NYNovember 25, 2015
Not a daily grind, but a daily challenge. You are expected to be the face of the company and that is easy to do when you believe in their mission.
Much like Law Enforcement there is something new every day. You'll deal with Dignitaries, Diplomats and Stars daily
The office is clean, your co-workers are pleasant and you feel a good sense of this is for me.
A great place to work with a promising tomorrow. The hardest part of the job is getting there - being in midtown NYC. The best part about the job is being in midtown NYC.
Pros
Benefits, Opportunities, meeting people
Cons
Travel to work, public transportation
Job was boring and repetitive
Sound Stage Manager (Former Employee) –  Universal Studios, Hollywood, CANovember 23, 2015
When I signed up for working with Universal, the job description sounded enticing. My skills were not once put to the test as they could have hired anyone with zero experience to handle the job which I held. I like challenges and being able to use my brain and thus became very bored with this position...
Pros
lots of down time
Cons
lots of down time and no room for thought...