NBCUniversal Employee Reviews in United States

Poor work environment
Sr. TIBCO Developer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 24, 2016
The TIBCO Team director has a very weak personality so he does not defend his sub-ordinates on status calls. He always focuses on finding a person to blame for any PROD Issue and does not have the good sense of solving the issue itself. This pressure is reflected on the team lead who asks for the status on any task for every one hour.

Contractors are not allowed to charge anything for any work you do after your office hours. You'll be working every weekend due to the work load and as the application team never own up to their issues. You will have to be available for any call from offshore in midnight. And all this is without any overtime compensation.

Other than that, you can learn how to handle pressure. That's the only thing which you'll learn in this project.
Pros
Team lead supports their employees very well.
Cons
No overtime compensation for contractors, High work pressure, Work during weekends and overnight call support.
Great work life balance
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 15, 2016
Great environment. Good culture, with many young talents across the business. It is a great learning environment where many of the executives are willing to guide you on your career path. It is difficult navigating from group to group even though you'd think that because of the properties that NBCU owns across film, TV, Parks, Late Night, that it would be.
Pros
Great working environments, promote growth
Cons
Career development and salary. Very corporate culture.
Very busy fast paced work environment
Installation Technician (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 28, 2016
- Four 10 hour work days per week.
- Learned pre-wiring procedures and how to use power and hand tools.
- Managements was good just seem to sometimes overbook scheduling.
- Hardest part of job for me was carrying 80 pound ladder due to my small stature.
- Most enjoyable part of job was enter acting with all of the customers.
Pros
Long Breaks, good benefits
Cons
Overbooking
Too big of a company to care for you as AN employee
Hostess, Food Runner,Server, Cashier, Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 18, 2016
Will hire you at one position and will train you in 5 other position so you can help them but the skills you learn do not get you any raise within the company. The company has higher minimum wage company wide than what the state offers but they will drain you for every penny they pay you. Even though the company's minimum wage is higher than the state, it really isn't much money if you are looking for a job that will pay up. If you are looking for a summer job just to pocket some extra cash, the company is great. You get free tickets to the park for your friends and family and tons of discounts all around Orlando but not a huge paycheck. In my Opinion the operation is TOO BIG TO CARE FOR YOU AS AN EMPLOYEE, meaning you can work as hard as you possible can; making a significant impact on your career is very hard. Since they can easily find people to replace almost any position, YOU no matter how good; are not worth their time and effort. Management politics is everywhere but handling that politics for very little money even after working so hard was not worth my time. If you are looking for a career, you may want to look elsewhere.
Pros
Free tickets to the parks, discounts around town
Cons
No benefits, low pay
Intern
Corporate Communications and Strategy Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 23, 2016
I was just an intern here but as far as I can tell the job/work life y balance is pretty average, however, the compensation benefits are low. The job culture is also great with lots of opportunity to network.
Terrible pay, terrible conditions, OK benifits
Admission host/Pinks restraunt (Former Employee) –  Universal city, CAOctober 18, 2015
Work two different summers for NBC universal at the theme park in LA. One summer as a ticket taker and one summer at a restaurant owned by them in city-walk. They never pay more then minimum wage and the hours a deplorable. Management is the definition of bureaucracy. They want you to stand all day, and sometimes in the sun when sitting on a chair or stool would be much much more comfortable and make the guests experience no different. Only benefits are free admission to the park whenever you want and free tickets once a year on your work anniversary (2 the first year 6 second year 12 third year and on). Fellow employees are generally nice if not discontent.
Pros
Free lunch and Free park admission
Cons
Terrible pay and terrible work conditions and litterally every other bad thing you could imagine
A professional atmosphere with room to grow
Manager, Corporate Security (Current Employee) –  NYC, NYNovember 25, 2015
Not a daily grind, but a daily challenge. You are expected to be the face of the company and that is easy to do when you believe in their mission.
Much like Law Enforcement there is something new every day. You'll deal with Dignitaries, Diplomats and Stars daily
The office is clean, your co-workers are pleasant and you feel a good sense of this is for me.
A great place to work with a promising tomorrow. The hardest part of the job is getting there - being in midtown NYC. The best part about the job is being in midtown NYC.
Pros
Benefits, Opportunities, meeting people
Cons
Travel to work, public transportation
great place to work
Attractions Attendant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 25, 2016
extremely good benefits like the entrance to the parks are free!! operating an attraction can be difficult. your attendance is based on points, if you're late or call off then you lose points. you start with 10 points. consequences come with certain points.
Nbc
Director, Graphics Engineering (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2016
NBC provides its employees with great benefits with a very fast paced work environment. The company provides plenty of room for growth.
Very Fun and challenging environment
technical project manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 10, 2016
NBC has very good work environment. It also have good benefits.
it's totally depend upon in which team is you selected but certain teams are very good.

Work timing is ok and you will find that people will respect you a lot
Pros
Free Movie, State of art infra
Cons
Healthcare benefit is not too good
Supportive Environment & Interesting Work
Post Production Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 2, 2015
In our Post Production office, we all participate in a technical yet creative environment. Our immediate team is supportive, and we all do our best to set each other up for success.
Dealing with the politics of the entertainment industry combined with the corporate world can sometime throw a monkey wrench into the works, but we adapt. We find the best ways to move forward.
Wages for some positions are a bit low compared to the time and effort put into the job, but they do provide benefits. Though the wages could be higher, it's a fun, interesting, and supportive place to work.
Pros
Free Lunches & Supportive Team
Cons
Long Hours & Low Compensation
Great Benefits Poor Growth
AE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 11, 2016
A typical day at NBC would mean an 8 hour shift (some departments are a 24 hour operation so that 8 hours wasn't necessarily am shifts).
If a Live Story came in, that 8 hours could then become an 'all-nighter' very easily. Luckily NBC was good about compensation, break times and possibly a hotel room if the shift went extremely long.

I learned how to handle various tasks at once from taking in a satellite feed to ingesting an audio take from the audio booth.

Management varied. Some departments had someone who was great at their job whereas some had management that offered poor solutions, irritated the staff and did not seem to get their position based on merit. Nepotism seemed obvious in these situations.

My co-workers were all team players and we assisted each other with new tasks or difficult ones. I enjoyed working with them and have not found a team to be as supportive in all of the other places I've worked.

The hardest part of the job was definitely knowing that as hard as you worked, as much as you tried to shine and hoped to move upwards and onwards, you just wouldn't. Upward mobility was basically unheard of. You were made to be happy in your position...permanently.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to work with breaking news and to have it voiced through the liberal views of NBC. I was happy to be part of that team.
Pros
Exciting Environment, Decent Benefits, Competitive Salary, Fair Labor Rules & Regulations
Cons
No Upward Mobility, Freeze on Staff Hiring, Nepotism
A very professional work place to be.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 23, 2016
The atomsphere is a great place. You have to not only look at the staff but the guest relationship and it all evolves around the Family concept. My main purpose was to take my son to help him get a job, but I seen security and I actually love the organization. If I was able to train and become of the management team, I would love to make this my full-time employment in the security family. I have worked at the jail, yet I do not feel that sense of growth. This would truly be my next career, whether it is security with the hotels or Universal Security.
Pros
There are chances for advancement. I just need to push for the opportunity.
Cons
My family love every thing about the company and the resort.
Detail-oriented Event Professional
Manager, Corporate Events (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2015
Current job responsibilities include building relationships with marketing, sales and top NBC Executives to gain a working knowledge of their needs and their clients’ needs in order to advance key initiatives. Once the parameters have been set, I’m given the creative freedom to research, develop, manage and execute special events across all NBCUniversal properties on a national and international scale.

I am fortunate in that I've had the opportunity to work with amazing people. The SVP of the Corporate Events Team is very selective in the hiring process. The team is therefore lean and mean and comprised of some of the most talented and devoted people I know.

The hard part—the hours! Finding work-life balance is challenging in any demanding company or career.
Pros
Exposure to all arenas of the company
Cons
Extremely short staffed and therefore working on several projects simultaneously, we've seen a 34% increase in year over year growth since I started with the team, yet we've only added two additional heads
Great Company with great benefits...still needs some work on local management and employee culture.
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 18, 2015
Great company with great benefits. Recent product growth gives opportunity to grow clientele within Hispanic business sector. Lots of red tape involved in doing your simple day to day work. Suggestions for better and more friendly working environment can looked upon to be ignored. Not big on employee culture.
Pros
Great Benefints, Commission Structure
Cons
Poor work/life balance, too many systems to maintain. Not Sales Friendly.
Alright day at Men in Black
Attractions Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 10, 2015
At universal you are asked to wear A uniform for the attraction or venue you are stationed at. They have A Warehouse and changing room. Then you walk to the venue behind stage(name for the park) and you clock in. The work day is A bit stressful because there are so many safety regulations that you have to follow and are all very hard to remember. That coupled with the guests of the park usually being in a bad mood due to ride lines and crowd capacity does not make for a good mixture. I would say you are more worried about messing up with the higher ups watching you then you are about the actual job. But as long as you can make sure you do not mess up you will be fine and the day goes semi fast.
Pros
Great food, Some times nice people to work with, Good Benifits
Cons
Pay is not worth it, Horribly Rude Guests, Intense Safety Regulations
Fun place to work. Location was great.
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Universal City, CANovember 19, 2015
NBC was a great place to work. Nice and friendly people. Working on Universal back lot was awesome. Management was great and fair. Hours and compensation was good. Plenty of work to keep you busy.
Pros
Location Universal back lot
Cons
Temp hire
Another amazing Company
Entertainment Performer, Scare actor, Street Actor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 16, 2015
I loved working for Universal, and would go back at anytime.
Great flow, challenges and management was always on the ball with all the issues they were placed with.
My teams were always on time and ready for the day, which made work that much easier.
Pros
Talking to guests, helping, challenges, growth, benefits
Cons
not many
Great teamwork and over great benefits.
Event Guide (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 5, 2015
A lot of hard work, but definitely worth it for the benefits you get through Universal. Great management when it come to thing you need in the workplace and over all great treatment of team workers in the company.
Harder than it had to be
Dishwasher/stock (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 16, 2015
I loved working here, the atmosphere of a theme park is always uplifting, Unfortunately I was trying to juggle school and 30 hours of week at work on top of a 3 hour commute due to not having a car. Everything came tumbling down and shortly after a friend of mine passed. I called off work to attend a fundraiser for the funeral and because it was the last of my attendance points and the reason wasn't deemed excusable I was terminated.
Pros
free lunch, ample breaks
Cons
long route to job