NBT Bank Employee Reviews in United States

Great Company
Teller Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Johnsville, NYApril 13, 2016
Expanding bank. Motivated to grow a bigger customer base. Everyone you work with becomes a great friend. The management is great and communicates well within the region. We are a hometown bank.
Productive and fun work place.
Reporting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYMarch 5, 2016
My day was full of reports I had to complete along with research projects. I learned so much about the products and services offered at the bank. I also gained experience in Microsoft Excel and Word. I loved my manager and my co-workers. The hardest part of my job for me was I didn't have enough to work on. I love to multitask and I love to have a million things to work on each day and here I only had a handful of duties to complete each day. Those duties did keep my busy but I was always asking for more work and always asking to branch off into new projects so I could better myself and grow within this company. I loved everything about my job. I loved the reports, the projects, the people I worked with, the environment, everything. I wanted to grow with NBT Bank and have a long lasting career.
Good Company
Full Time Teller (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYDecember 5, 2015
I love working for NBT Bank. I wish to be compensated better for my hourly pay. Sometimes there is unfair treatment of specific employees.
Pros
One hour lunches, great benefits.
Cons
Low pay, unfair employee treatment.
Professional product work environment
Customer Service Representative and Teller (Former Employee) –  Massena, NYNovember 12, 2015
Typical day included running a Teller window, opening new accounts, taking loan applications and closing loans. I also audited the vault and other branches as required. Hardest part of the job was explaining to customers why there checking account was overdrawn. Most enjoyable part of job was knowing my drawer balanced on a daily basis and balancing customers check books to get them back on track.
Pros
Clean cheerful work environment
Cons
dealing with unhappy customers.
strong sucessful business
branch manager (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYNovember 10, 2015
great financial institution, strong and independent since 1856 and still going strong. obviously doing things right.
Pros
training
Great Place to Work
Executive Administrative Assistant, EVP (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYSeptember 7, 2015
NBT Bank was a wonderful place to work. My coworkers were pleasant to be around and the management was wonderful to work for and with. Sometimes the job that I did while I was there could be stressful, however all jobs have their stressful moments.
Pros
Good Benefits, compensation was fair
Cons
Stress could have been less
Nice place to work upper management not so much
Bank Teller II (Former Employee) –  Clark's Green, PAAugust 8, 2015
Ran a variety of customer transactions including deposits withdrawals cashing checks credit card cash advances did loan payments ordered checks for people let people in & out of their safe deposit boxes interacted with customers loved my co workers upper management not so much. I learned that people treat you differently when your dealing with their money. I also learned that after 16 years of coming in whenever asked on my days off, none of that meant anything they replaced me with someone right off the street. Nice huh? I loved my co-workers and my customers but that meant absolutely nothing. I came in on a Friday was supposed to work until 5 was asked if I could stay until 6 said sure. Was called into the office at5:15 and told I was terminated pretty crummy. Why couldn't they tell me this at 9:00 in the morning?
Pros
Free checks
Cons
Not enough staffing
Great place to work! Genuinely warm atmosphere like a family!
Temporary On-Line Banker Associate (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYJuly 1, 2015
NBT (Corporate) is a great place to work! They offer a lot to their employees and are very involved with the community. They demand productivity and professionalism and are willing to compensate you well for it. For the most part, Management and the Employees, are very friendly and create a warm/family atmosphere of a caring, understanding and helpful bond. It is a genuinely welcoming atmosphere. Yes, they DO, unfortunately, have their bad apples, but overall, a great team and a great place to work!
Pros
Offer great compensation! Takes good care of employees! Warm atmosphere!
Cons
Temporary positions MOST times, do not turn into Permanent positions. Some bad apples, not being addressed.
Not a good culture and not good compensation
Teller (Current Employee) –  Greater Binghamton areaJune 26, 2015
This is a good place to start. That being said, The pay is not so good and the constant sales required everyday is taxing especially when the sales promotion lap over each other often three at a time. The culture is so heavy sales that it makes it difficult to balance every facet of the position. Many of the customers that we see are regulars and we can only offer them a credit card so many times. Most branches are drowning and many employees think that the pay is a joke.
Great Place to Work
Teller Supervisor III (Former Employee) –  Queensbury, NYJune 8, 2015
Overall, great company and career path to take. Don't expect much different than other banking jobs, banking is banking. There are always goals and the company is moving towards a universal banker. The only downfall is the same as any other bank...less employees and more to do as time passes.
I like the bank work atmosphere
Teller (Current Employee) –  Mayfield, PAMarch 15, 2015
I have learned a lot more moving to the Mayfield Branch. I have learned about loans and have put to work things I have not been able to do working in Archbald Branch. I take care of the lobby as well as the drive thru and I am handling more detailed situations that come up. When I was in Archbald; I was in the drive thru and had little opportunity to interact with customers who would come into the lobby. My co-workers in both places are awesome to work with and the management has sometimes overlooked what the tellers jobs actually do for the branches. I enjoy working with my co-workers and greeting people everyday. The hardest part of my job is pushing customers to open items that they might not need or want.
Pros
holidays off, office close to home, good if you want part time
Cons
only get 1/2 hour lunch and no breaks. sales and computer scheduling, the pay don't equal the responsibility, robberies, cut back in hours
Good benefits. Poor compensation. Regressive mindset.
Business Banking Administrative (Current Employee) –  Norwich, NYMarch 8, 2015
They have a weird system in place. Advancement seems to be based on the department, and on particular managers. It is not discussed. It is a mystery. Wages are low. Benefits are good. Once you are in the company, you can be certain you'll stay there for as long as you want to with guaranteed .50 cent raise every year.
This was a very good place to work for and had good incentives if you wanted to work hard for them
Teller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Malone, NYFebruary 5, 2015
a typical day at work was dealing in a professional way with the customers. I learned how to handle cash in a very accurate manner and how to supervise the team in a professional manner and still have fun. the management was a fantastic team who was willing to help at any time. I enjoyed working with my co workers and we made sure that the work was completed daily and still had time to enjoy each other. The hardest part of the job was trying to convince the customers to change products to benefit them. The most enjoyable part of the job was the great customer service we provided and seeing the appreciation for our customers.
Pros
the incentives when we did a fantastic job
Cons
trying to get every employee on board to make our goals
Customer Service Representative / Teller (Current Employee) –  Eynon, PAJanuary 6, 2015
Opening and closing of customer account
Entering data in computers
selling cash advances to customers
filling
answering calls and respond to customers
Poorly Managed/Compensated
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  NYOctober 10, 2014
Very much a micro managed organization that wants more out of their employees than they are willing to give them. Compensation is below par with other institutions. Advertise themselves as a community bank but truly are not.
No consistance in workplace
Document Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oneida, NYSeptember 25, 2014
not enough work to stay busy
hours were great
the people i worked with were great
Very nice and friendly place of employment
Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Whitney Point, NYAugust 18, 2014
I was responsible for answering phones, waiting on customers and balancing out the bank branch on a daily basis.
Nice place to work but hourly pay needs improving
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Canajoharie, NYMay 17, 2014
Typical day involves tons of problem solving and fixing of errors
Upper Management is effective but middle mgmt. supervisor is ineffective and basically useless- too much standing around and too much talking about non work related stuff
Coworkers- most work effectively and are pleasant, however some fool around and play on their cell phones all day and nothing is done about it because Supervisor is ineffective. Job knowledge and overall understanding of how things work is lacking in other depts. which makes explaining things hard
Nothing is remotely hard about this job except having to deal with ineffectiveness of Supervisor
The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to solve problems for branches needing help
Pros
dress down days, flexible hours
Cons
the pay
Unprofessional, unorganized, and unsupported
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Londonderry, NHMay 15, 2014
I was hired on as an assistant store manager and was under the impression that I would be doing assignments that would be aligned with what I have previous done as an assistant store manager. Once I started working there was no communication between my store manager and I. She was never available and never had the schedule done right; always leaving us short handed. I was always expected to pull a drawer and be on the teller line, which if I wanted to do teller work on a daily basis I would have stayed as a teller. Instead of keeping one of the tellers who was hired as a temporary position and did great work for the bank, they fired him without having someone in the running to fill his position, and left us even more short staffed than before. The only way to advance with the branch is to move to New York where the majority of their branches are. Corporate provides no support and would only give us a dedicated mortgage representative in-branch if we got our number up. I don't know about you, but I would never sign a mortgage with a bank when the only time I would be able to talk to someone about the process would be on a phone.
Pros
none.
Cons
no advancement, lack of communication, no support from corporate, job descriptions are not even close to what the job entails.
Nbt
Customer Service Representative/Teller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYApril 30, 2014
I have great respect for this company, as I worked for over 10 years in 3 different positions for. The management and support was excellent, training as well. However, as with Adirondack Trust, I felt there weren't many opportunities for growth in my area. I left on very good terms and am still friends with many of my co-workers.