NBT Bank Employee Reviews

Good place to work for and advance through the ranks.
Management Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYMarch 3, 2017
Very narrow minded with growth and recruiting. They have difficulty attracting younger talent and keeping them due to location of HQ.
operations
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canajoharie, NYFebruary 18, 2017
was working on the computer all day checked large endorsement signatures and ach transactions I learned a lot about the banking world. it was a fun job and learned a lot
Great Experience
Intern BSA/Information Security Departments (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYJanuary 19, 2017
I intered here over the summer. It was a great learning experience. I was able to learn a lot about fraud and the steps that the bank takes to monitor for this activity.
Team oriented workplace
Territory Manager, SVP (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJanuary 18, 2017
NBT was strong in focusing on the team and customer service. Customers were well known and needs based selling was a necessary skill required to enhance the customer experience.
fun work place
Teller/Head Teller (Current Employee) –  Oneida, NYDecember 13, 2016
very interesting place to work great hours and great co workers very sales oriented organization is needed to succeed its hard to move in within the company
Short staffed
Teller (Former Employee) –  Hamlin, PANovember 1, 2016
Too much stress having to worry about meeting a monthly quota for referrals . Some customers are very nice , while others are very rude. Compensation is not enough to deal with the high stress level .
Cons
Too much emphasis on sales goals; constant pushing for more; Pressure to sell comes first, customers & employees not as important.
Taller (Former Employee) –  PAOctober 20, 2016
Customers are great. Although told if not selling, stop talking. What happened to getting to know customers? Not a difficult job, but if you do not like sales, do not apply to work here.
Benefits
Cons
Constant push on Sales
It's ok place
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Norwich, NYAugust 17, 2016
It's an ok place to work. I wouldn't mind staying here. The customer can stress you out and they don't give a lot of vacation or sick time. The managers are ok.
nbt
Consumer Loan Underwriter II (Current Employee) –  Norwich, NYAugust 8, 2016
The employees you work with are great. And most of the time management is flexible. They understand when the need to be with family is important.
Assist people with banking needs
Bank Teller I (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYJune 26, 2016
Fast-paced environment with regular customers who love to chat and seeing the same smiling face everyday.

Being able to profile customers to figure out their banking needs are a must--there are sales requirements as a teller.
Not a bad place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHJune 6, 2016
All in all it was not a bad place to work at. I had never been in banking and I was able to learn a lot. I was there at a time where management was shifting and it was new to the area I lived in. Not as much traffic as other retail banks, making some days slow. I enjoyed who I worked with though.
The branch I worked in was great
Teller (Former Employee) –  New YorkApril 22, 2016
The branch manager I had was great, she was a very positive person and encouraged all of us. The upper levels of management could have been better. Corporate is always on top of whether or not you meet your required sales each month. The bank as a whole is not concerned about what is best for its customers, they are concerned with revenues and selling the maximum amount of products regardless of whether or not they are right for the customer.
Great Company
Teller Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Johnsville, NYApril 13, 2016
Expanding bank. Motivated to grow a bigger customer base. Everyone you work with becomes a great friend. The management is great and communicates well within the region. We are a hometown bank.
Productive and fun work place.
Reporting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYMarch 5, 2016
My day was full of reports I had to complete along with research projects. I learned so much about the products and services offered at the bank. I also gained experience in Microsoft Excel and Word. I loved my manager and my co-workers. The hardest part of my job for me was I didn't have enough to work on. I love to multitask and I love to have a million things to work on each day and here I only had a handful of duties to complete each day. Those duties did keep my busy but I was always asking for more work and always asking to branch off into new projects so I could better myself and grow within this company. I loved everything about my job. I loved the reports, the projects, the people I worked with, the environment, everything. I wanted to grow with NBT Bank and have a long lasting career.
Good Company
Full Time Teller (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYDecember 5, 2015
I love working for NBT Bank. I wish to be compensated better for my hourly pay. Sometimes there is unfair treatment of specific employees.
Pros
One hour lunches, great benefits.
Cons
Low pay, unfair employee treatment.
Professional product work environment
Customer Service Representative and Teller (Former Employee) –  Massena, NYNovember 12, 2015
Typical day included running a Teller window, opening new accounts, taking loan applications and closing loans. I also audited the vault and other branches as required. Hardest part of the job was explaining to customers why there checking account was overdrawn. Most enjoyable part of job was knowing my drawer balanced on a daily basis and balancing customers check books to get them back on track.
Pros
Clean cheerful work environment
Cons
dealing with unhappy customers.
strong sucessful business
branch manager (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYNovember 10, 2015
great financial institution, strong and independent since 1856 and still going strong. obviously doing things right.
Pros
training
Great Place to Work
Executive Administrative Assistant, EVP (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYSeptember 7, 2015
NBT Bank was a wonderful place to work. My coworkers were pleasant to be around and the management was wonderful to work for and with. Sometimes the job that I did while I was there could be stressful, however all jobs have their stressful moments.
Pros
Good Benefits, compensation was fair
Cons
Stress could have been less
Nice place to work upper management not so much
Bank Teller II (Former Employee) –  Clark's Green, PAAugust 8, 2015
Ran a variety of customer transactions including deposits withdrawals cashing checks credit card cash advances did loan payments ordered checks for people let people in & out of their safe deposit boxes interacted with customers loved my co workers upper management not so much. I learned that people treat you differently when your dealing with their money. I also learned that after 16 years of coming in whenever asked on my days off, none of that meant anything they replaced me with someone right off the street. Nice huh? I loved my co-workers and my customers but that meant absolutely nothing. I came in on a Friday was supposed to work until 5 was asked if I could stay until 6 said sure. Was called into the office at5:15 and told I was terminated pretty crummy. Why couldn't they tell me this at 9:00 in the morning?
Pros
Free checks
Cons
Not enough staffing
Great place to work! Genuinely warm atmosphere like a family!
Temporary On-Line Banker Associate (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYJuly 1, 2015
NBT (Corporate) is a great place to work! They offer a lot to their employees and are very involved with the community. They demand productivity and professionalism and are willing to compensate you well for it. For the most part, Management and the Employees, are very friendly and create a warm/family atmosphere of a caring, understanding and helpful bond. It is a genuinely welcoming atmosphere. Yes, they DO, unfortunately, have their bad apples, but overall, a great team and a great place to work!
Pros
Offer great compensation! Takes good care of employees! Warm atmosphere!
Cons
Temporary positions MOST times, do not turn into Permanent positions. Some bad apples, not being addressed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NBT Bank. Our community is ready to answer.