NBTY Employee Reviews

Used to be great when I started but they let the place go and I spend 90% of my time watching my back in fear I might lose my job over anything.
Line runner (Current Employee) –  Holbrook, NYJuly 23, 2016
Management can try to keep a better eye on the supervisors for those of who are not favored cause the threats are getting a little old.
Pros
Some good people, benefits still great, love the company activities.
Cons
Management, supervisors, Spanish/white ratio sucks and seems to favor those of Hispanic nature.
No future
3rd shift Vitamin world shipping supervisor (Current Employee) –  Holbrook, NYJuly 4, 2016
After the sale of one of their main buildings there is no sure thing there. people are giving added responsablities without any promotion or pay raise. Not so bad except some of them are forced into managemnet roles, but kept as regular workers.

Mandatory can be called at the end of shift the day before, giving you very little notice to change plans. There is a lot of internal fighting going on.
productive workplace
international demand inventory planning Analyst (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYJuly 30, 2016
best company to work, professional management, international acclaimed company,
diversity of products - vitamins, minerals, herbs,supplements.
good working environment. moderated benefits
Pros
free launches
Cons
below market compensations
The associates were the best.
Manufacturing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bohemia, NYOctober 18, 2016
Management plays a huge role in an associate not being able to balance work and home. Very stressful and demanding. Limited resources for the associates to do the task at hand. Outdated equipment with difficulty retaining parts.
Limited amount of staff to complete projects as scheduled.
I really never knew what I was going into on any day. I've learned various differences between pharmaceuticals and nutraceuticals which were very interesting to me.
The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the associates and getting to know them on a more personal level. I've always had a hands on in all that I do. I can personally relate to the typical associate because I started my career the same way.
Pros
Certain incentives, like 75% off at the Vitamin Outlet
Cons
Poor communication amongst management and associates
Night shift
Material handler (Current Employee) –  Holbrook New YorkAugust 11, 2016
Good company good hours, my coworkers show a lot of teamwork . I learned how to run the machine, how to read work orders I think is a great company good benefits and and I'm looking for something to match it
worst company to work for ever
forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Holbrook, NYJanuary 26, 2016
I worked at NBTY as the employee tells you no body tells you
I worked there for 4 years
Worked all the overtime that they asked for me to do and they have very poorly management their ways of taking care of employees is horrible they take the wrong actions
They rather fired you instead of fixing the problem
benefits
Cons
dont complain if there is any way of harrasment becuase they will fire you like they did to me
Nice company The HR department allows the employees to run the asylum
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Holbrook, NYNovember 23, 2015
Nice company. A little behind the times in terms of programs and business development, but they were trying to catch up. Hire too many temps so they never could have a good reliable staff. The management is a bunch of kids who have good intentions, but dont know how to execute a plan.

Management is hamstrung by HR so you can not discipline workers, and HR is inconsistent in the enforcement of their policies. They dabble in things that they know little to nothing about.

I hope things work out there. Most of the people are nice, and willing to help. However there is an ingrained mentality of the part of some departments that they will do as they please, and if they are disciplined they go to HR to fight their battles
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
HR Administration
Great industry, brands with a great past. Poor senior Mgt with lack of industry experience and lack of passion for the business.
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2016
This is a company with a lot of potential but due to unfit senior Mgt the company has gone downhill for some time. Unlikely that the brands will get back to their old glory anytime soon with current leadership team.
Pros
Great products and industry. Easy to improve things.
Cons
Senior leadership, CEO, HR, Manufacturing, company culture
Packaging Team Leader, Packaging Department (Current Employee) –  Bohemia, NYApril 19, 2016
Good place to work; recommended, you ll have a lot of fun there, I think is a good experience that will help you to develop new skills.
benefits
Cons
salary
Was a great company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ronkonkoma, NYSeptember 22, 2016
NBTY was a great company to work for a few years ago. It was full of optimism, creativity and growth. Typical day was productive and efficient. It is best suited for recent graduates or entry level positions looking to get your feet wet. It now has become top heavy by made up CO positions and they keep trying to reinvent the wheel making all parts of the company work less efficiently and productively. I truly did love this company and was happy to go there. Now myself and coworkers dread each day that goes by and the company continues to drag us down. There is so much speculation that the company is going to be sold and slowly the brands are breaking down. Who knows what the future holds for this company but as of right now it is incredibly unstable. I wish there was better outlook but I have yet to see a positive change.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Pays entry level, limited growth opportunity, lacks professionalism
Secure job. good pay and great benefits
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Bohemia, NYJanuary 7, 2016
I highly recommend applying at NBTY. It is a great working environment, with great pay and advancement options. It also has many incentives, such as their yearly raffle which can actually lead to winning oneself a brand new car.
Pros
Yearly raffle; good pay; provided uniform; seniority benefits; great advancement options
Cons
Very demanding; heavy multi-tasking; requires hard hat and hair guards
Big old company struggling to keep up with the times.
IT Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bohemia, NYJanuary 19, 2016
They sell a lot of vitamins which keeps them afloat, but they are slow to adapt and change. Management provides little inspiration.

There are however, many good people working there and the company took pretty good care of me until I was eventually laid off.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
They are not in growth mode. They suffer from high turnover.
Great place to work at
Catcher (Current Employee) –  Deerfield Beach, FLNovember 18, 2016
Great place to work,learned very quick most of the jobs on the packaging floor.Only problem is the hiring process.I literally have 2 supervisors pushing to get me hired because i already know almost every position and am just a great worker overall but still nothing.Not to mention alot of perm employees limit themselves to one position.
Pros
Work with a lot of great people
Cons
No matter how good you are and no matter how much more you know than most employees, if you're a temp, you will most likely stay a temp.
Not a bad place
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ronkonkoma, NYJanuary 9, 2016
Overall NBTY is an acceptable work place. The warehouses I worked in were overall a good environment. The coworkers in my primary building were easy to get along with.
Pros
coworkers are easy to work with, free holiday lunch
Cons
under new owners a lot of benefits and perks have been stripped down or removed
use to be a nice place to work .management turn over is great
direct line lead runner (Former Employee) –  Bohemia, NYAugust 27, 2016
in my years at nbty I learned a lot I can run a line set up the line and also take lead of that line. my co workers respected me when I was lead.. shift change over was very hard had to get ready for my own shift
Pros
free coffe christmas party party in summer rafelled off money
Cons
can not advance to other jobs hit a certain pay can not advance just take a title
Lead Direct QA Inspector (Current Employee) –  815 grundy ave. Holbrook NYSeptember 27, 2016
Is a nice place to work, good enviroment and clean. People are friendly. The job is easy and the management care about associates. Its a safety place to work.
productive yet stressful working environment.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Bohemia, NYJune 3, 2015
Extremely high work load, along with fast past deadlines. The co-workers are nice, hard working, but stressed from work load/deadlines. Management seem to care more about deadlines then safety to the point were they wont fix a problem until it becomes an accident. the hardest part of the job is meeting the deadline while taking the directives of management that are hypocritical and against safety guidelines. The enjoyable part of the job are the co-workers, they are hard working and helpful individuals.
Pros
Helpful co-workers, good salary, and benifits.
Cons
Highly stressful, safety issues, you canprogress but not if your not liked.
Productive, and a great environment to work at
Lead 3rd shift warehouse, and inventory control (Current Employee) –  Amityville, NYJuly 15, 2016
I've been trained in sop's, Gmp's, and Oshawa certified for sit down, stand up, and PE lifts, nice environment to work good coworkers and great management team
We work hard but we also play hard
Customer Care/EDI Specialist (FT) (Current Employee) –  Ridgefield Park, NJNovember 2, 2016
NBTY has not only been a place of work it has been my second home. The experienced and knowledge acquired in in the years working for NBTY is incredible. Definitely a great place to work!
Good Company
Manager - Digital Services / Data Architect (Current Employee) –  Bohemia, NYSeptember 14, 2016
I have worked for this company for 8 years. I have done lots of things. It is a bit crazy at times where you do not know what is going ot hit you from one day to the next

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NBTY. Our community is ready to answer.