NC State University Employee Reviews

You get out what you put in!
Volunteer Research Assistant (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCApril 20, 2015
Since I was in a volunteer position, it was really up to me to decide how much I wanted to put into helping out my professor with his research. It gave me a great chance to learn some new software and get a taste of what research in a academia setting is like. A colleague of mine was also helping my professor with the research but he was instructed to come up programs with MATLAB. So we weren't working in conjunction with each other.
NCSU
Executive Administrative Assistant /Bookkeeper (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCApril 12, 2015
NCSU has provided me with many opportunities & years of experience. This has helped me find my passion, which is Event Coordinating/Project Management.
great people
Computer Technician (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCMarch 5, 2015
Great atmosphere, advanced technology, flexible hours, great management. Good job for a student. I learned more in the job than in class. Co-workers are always willing to help you with anything.
Best university to work at ever!!
Assistant Designer (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCFebruary 8, 2015
NC State has a wonderful community, and exciting projects. Of course it has the limitations involving working for a university, but overall a wonderful place to work and attend school.
Awesome Place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCFebruary 5, 2015
Brilliant Opportunity for an aspiring scientist. Excellent support for research and valuable experience to aid aims to become an academic.
Loved this job
Accounting Clerk IV (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: pleasant place to work
Cons: salary
I loved this job. Was the first job I received after college. Taught me so much. I was promoted from Accounting Assistant to Accounting Technician. I loved the people I worked for. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. Just an excellent team. The hardest part of the job was leaving. I was making a lot and it was a starter job.
Great work experience that provided a lot of learning opportunities
4-H After School Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Wilmington, NCJanuary 15, 2015
Each day offered opportunities to influence and be apart of the community that I worked in. NC State utilized and therefore, offered training in computer software and communication applications that allowed me to stay at the forefront of current professional technology. I developed a fantastic relationship with a group of inviting and creative co-workers who helped to make it fun to be a part of that team. The hardest part of the work that I performed was that it required a desire to change on the part of the participants. Program participation was voluntary and could not be mandated, so attendance was not always consistent. The most enjoyable aspect of having worked with NC State University was teaching and developing relationships with my participants while having the opportunity to live out my passion.
its agood place to work but i really want to do more with my life and make enough to suport my family.
Cook (Current Employee), Raleigh ncJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: no benifits no security not paid enough and not enogh hours
Its a very good place to work but i cant deal with temp as a title the place has given me full time without any benefits and i have a family to care for i need to get a better job that pays better and one that is perminate and not temp i feel i ow it to my family to do so we can have a better life together.
grounds worker
Grounds Worker (Temp) (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCDecember 5, 2014
Pros: outdoor
Cons: too hot sometimes
learned a lot about the outdoors. it was my first job doing landscaping. it was only a temp position. I would work there again if I could. I was laid off due to the budget. Had a great time and met cool people. Supervisor was cool. Go wolfpack. Great summer job for young students
Part-time work with great people
NC STATE FACILITIES AND OPERATIONS ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCNovember 3, 2014
Pros: people, honest work
Cons: tedious, weather
A really fun environment and a place I would love to continue to work at. I am only part-time at the moment so I am enjoying it while I can.
A good place to live and work
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCOctober 19, 2014
A good place to live and work.
Learned a lot of chemistry here.
Flexible management, yet probably depending on PIs
Excellent organization for which to work.
Item Writer (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCSeptember 30, 2014
Challenging opportunity to leverage technical expertise within higher education for the benefit of students across the state.
Interesting and exciting
Housekeeping (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: shift ended at 12 noon
Cons: shift started at 4am
When I received the housekeeping position at NC State I was overwhelmed. I had finally got an opportunity to work somewhere I was going to enjoy. I viewed NC Sate as a Hilton, very professional and demanding. A typical day for me at work was arriving at 4am, having a team meeting and going to my assign area. My manager was very informative on the information she presented to us. The hardest part of the job was cleaning the bathrooms after the football players, but the most enjoyable part of the job was cleaning and organizing an assigned area for incoming guest. My co-workers was very friendly and always willing to help. From this job experience I've learned that this world is full of opportunities and with the right encouragement and that right someone to give you a chance anything is possible.
Research assitantship
Database Technician (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCSeptember 4, 2014
Able to work at own pace and do database entry and mangement
Various and diverse tasks
I have learned so much in the 16 years that I have been employed. Every day is different, work hard, but have fun doing it!
HR/Office Manager (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCAugust 12, 2014
Pros: great family oriented environment
Cons: compensation, health benefits and parking cost
I enjoy helping people whether I am leading or on a team player.

The most enjoyable part of my job is when I am able to challenge an employee/manager to see things from another perspective and find or come to a resolution.

I have a great working relationship with my co-workers and management. I like the fact that we can actually communicate well with each other and have each other's back.
What I imagine as a typical master's program...
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJune 24, 2014
Pros: set own hours (as long as work is completed), casual attire, casual workplace
Cons: relatively low pay (part of the compensation is paying for classes), no advancement (once you get your degree you're done)
I'm a MS student at NCSU.

Most of the work is done independently with coworkers serving as sounding boards and helping with problems.

My adviser is fantastic though I think my adviser is well above the cut.

Typical day starts between 9-10, I try to get as much work done before lunch as after lunch is usually problem solving and paper discussion (and a fair bit of shooting the breeze).

The hardest part of the job is knowing it is strictly temporary that despite the fact that I like working here I can't really stay on.
Good first job but not for the long term
Technician (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJune 20, 2014
Pros: vacation days
Cons: compensation, work and responsibilities are routine and monotonous
The most enjoyable part of the job is that no work is brought home. There is little stress to endure and its a pretty stable place to work. Work can be cyclical especially in research focused settings and things can be very slow during the down times. A large downside is that when you begin a job you might as well congratulate yourself because you just reached the peak of your career there. There are no raises or bonuses or climbing up any ladder. So, the motivation, excitement, and caring begins to dwindle when this is realized. Most bosses in this setting are also not people with any type of business leadership background. They're people who went to school for academics who then happen to now have people work for them. As a result it can create at times an unprofessional environment, lack of direction/clarity, poor team cohesiveness, and poor engagement with employees. There are no performance reviews so there is no feedback on how you are doing, if you're doing well, or what you can do better so there is little to gain or strive for from a personal growth standpoint.
NC State University
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCApril 28, 2014
Pros: great experience with data entry
Cons: it was only a temporary job
I worked closely with the IT department and transferred their computer inventory from a spread sheet to an online database. Experience
the peaple i worked with i enjoyed.
Housekeeping Aide (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCApril 11, 2014
Pros: meeting some of the students that was going there face to face.
Cons: where i was working.
i liked for a minute until i got stabed in the back by my supervisor and her boss.
NC State Experience
Administrative Support Associate (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCMarch 21, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: raises are given by legislature only
Since I have worked at NC State I have learned many aspects of how a college campus is operated. I have worked with both students and employees on the medical side and business sides of campus. The most enjoyable part of my job has been working with so many different types of people from the Assistant Vice Chancellor to the people that I interact with every day.