Nebraska Book Company

Nebraska Book Company Employer Reviews

fun fun fun job
Customer Service / Cashier (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 8, 2014
pretty easy going not really big issues just fun in the sun and blah blah blah blah ablha
Productive and fun workplace for college students
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Frankfort, KYJune 1, 2014
Pros: accessible lunch, work hours, campus convenience
Cons: short breaks, slow production during school year
*Enjoyed running cash register
*Great environment for students
*Easy to manage because employees enjoyed their job
Above average warehouse job
Stocker/Picker (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEApril 1, 2014
Pros: minimal supervision, no customers to deal with
Cons: physical job, can get very hectic
I worked at NBC a few times as a temp worker. The pay wasn't great, and I was on my feet all day, but I didn't have to interact with customers, and as long as you get your job done, no one really bothers you. This is a good summer or winter break job for students, although I'm not sure it's something most people would want to do long-term. The floor – more... is really hard on your feet, plus there is a lot of climbing up and down ladders and bookshelves. During the busy seasons, things can get extremely hectic, and there are lots of opportunities for overtime. For stockers, overtime is typically mandatory, but it's optional for pickers. Everyone there is very nice, and the supervisors don't micromanage. I'd say this is an above average warehouse-type job and great if you don't like interacting with customers, but bad if you don't like being on your feet. – less
Revolving door of management
MANAGER (Former Employee), Detroit, MIApril 1, 2014
Pros: the many connections made with co-workers
Cons: not enough time...
There are many changers occurring. Corporate and middle management have different ideas as to what direction the company's focus should be.
Great managerial experience.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Stillwater, OKMarch 23, 2014
Pros: located next to oklahoma state university's football stadium and basketball arena.
Cons: student employee pool afforded limited availability
This position really opened my eyes to the way business on a corporate level is done.This was also my first job after I graduated from college, so I had a limited perspective on how things worked.

This position helped to improve my knowledge of the business world and sharpened my leadership and client-service skills.

The hardest part of the job was – more... that I had few human resources to work with, as only students applied for my open positions because they were min. wage. and they had limited availability. There was not enough payroll for an assistant so a lot of responsibility was on me - and I had no problem with that.

My management was very hands-off,

The part of the job I most enjoyed was interacting with my employees and my customers while holding down a business. – less
Only temporary
Cashier (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEJanuary 10, 2014
I worked with Nebraska Book Company when they came to the University of Utah to buy back books. They were really nice to and very accommodating.
Retail
Sales associate responsibilities (Former Employee), New Paltz, NYDecember 9, 2013
I worked here while going to school and luckily the hours were flexible and the management was very nice. The beginning and end of the semester was torture though.
An Amazing collection of staff
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Berkeley, CANovember 17, 2013
A typical day at Ned's revolved around the students, the teachers, and the publishers of maintaining a balance for a well run bookstore. I learned how to balance a safe, how to post sales and run reconciliation and how starting off opening morning could affect the rest of the staff's day. Every one of our staff was experienced and hardworking and versed – more... in front of house and back of house duties and were always willing to help each other out. The hardest part of the job was always rush when 32,000 students flooded the store for their school supplies and we juggled maintaining the store to keep up professional and helpful place for our customers. – less
working with students and professors
Manager (Former Employee), Farmers Branch, TXSeptember 16, 2013
ordering textbooks and getting all classes adopted. the hardest part of the job was having to work by myself and there being no help.
Fun work place and great interaction with students
Cashier (Former Employee), Marietta, GaJuly 17, 2013
Overall a good place to work and be able to interact with other people
Great coworkers and positive culture
Software Development Supervisor (Current Employee), Lincoln, NEJune 30, 2013
Pros: positive, supporting atmosphere
Cons: pay is not competitive
Nebraska Book Company has a friendly and supportive work culture. IT deadlines tend to be tight but there is a great support network to help accomplish the company goals. NBC is a great place for a motivated team player to make a difference.
Great place to work, challenging in a good way.
Team Member (Current Employee), Swainsboro, GAJune 26, 2013
Pros: great work environment, great staff, working at a college, customers always love us
Cons: during the off season our hours get cut dramtically
Working with Neebo has been great over the years. The company treats us well I can say I will miss working here. Everyday I help students with problems they may be having whether it be related to our store or not, they know they can come here to get the facts straight and get the info they need. I've learned so much about customer service here and it – more... has really prepared me for my future working life. My co-workers were always fun to work with and we have been through much together.

Some of the hardest times here are also some of the funnest. During the financial aid periods we are super busy. The line never stops from 8am to 6pm for two weeks straight. Its great meeting all the new students and seeing all the returning students coming back to say hi. Its really demanding during these times though, we are working constantly with almost no breaks. It is both fun but hard. – less
ok place to work while in school
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Johnson City, TNJune 9, 2013
No room for advancement. Company hires mostly seasonal help and does not promote from within. While working their it was bought out and they fired a lot of good people.
A great place to work
Receiving Specialist (Current Employee), Orangeburg, SCMay 30, 2013
Cons: reducing hours
I enjoy working here and with my co-workers. You meet all kind of people and you will learn alot.
Buying and selling wholesale college textbooks
House Representative (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEMay 28, 2013
Pros: healthcare, co-workers
Cons: pay, time away from families
Various job duties consisted of warehouse work to evaluate and price incoming purchased textbooks, enter and process book orders, pull textbook orders and set up for shipping. Non-warehouse duties were to primarily travel to various college/university bookstore locations to assist in purchasing textbooks from bookstore staff, students and faculty.

The – more... hardest part of this job was the possibility of long hours involved with traveling and the amount of time spent away from family. The most enjoyable part was getting to travel and meeting people around the country and developing friendships with co-workers. – less
An interesting place to work
cashier (Current Employee), Hickory, NCMay 12, 2013
My work day's were never consistent, being a college bookstore and post office, everyday was really a new adventure. It was a very stressful environment someday's and other days not so much, it just depended on what events were going on on campus that day.
Productive Work Experiences
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCApril 23, 2013
Pros: lunch breaks, flexible schedule
My typical day of work include:
Counting the register before opening
Clocking into work
Straigtening the salesfloor
Receiving Goods
Sending out Mailing Orders
Counting down register
Record Register Sales of the Day
Clocking Out
Great company to work for in a declining industry
Textbook Manager/Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 4, 2013
Nebraska Book Company has a lot of good things to offer as a company; however, the textbook industry is in a decline. With Nebraska, you will earn the bulk of your money as a annual bonus. This bonus is directly related to sales and to profit margin. With the online textbook sellers, it is very hard to compete; and profit margins are difficult to meet.
Availability to work up
Specialist (Former Employee), Ukiah, CAMarch 3, 2013
This company offers space to work up, but being a student, I felt like they should have been more open as far as working around school schedules. However, they tried to make the time there fun.
Great job for work/life balance
Management level positions (Current Employee), Daytona Beach, FLJanuary 19, 2013
Pros: college environments are fun
Cons: may seem stressful during busy periods
This is a great place to work and an environment that allows one to stay up to date with today's youth.

About Nebraska Book Company

Nebraska Book Company | Neebo is dedicated to making college - one of the best times in life - even better for students.