Nebraska Book Company Employee Reviews

Ok
Human Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 4, 2017
Company no longer in existence as it was.
Was not challenged. Not enough work to keep busy. Work was not shared and so lots of time just waiting for something to do.
Awesome work environment on a college campus
Lead Cashier/Bookseller (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYSeptember 15, 2017
This was an amazing job! By far, it was the most relaxed work environment that I have had the pleasure to experience. The main responsibilities of the job were to help students find textbooks and to process transactions.
Pros
Amazing management staff
Cons
lack of available hours
Insufficient training & not enough managerial support
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 3, 2017
Unrealistic sales goals for some area stores. Lack of budget for seasonal hires to assist during beginning of Fall and Spring semesters. At that time was hectic and chaotic and assistance needed for shipping and receiving purposes.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEAugust 26, 2017
Have made wonderful friends and relationships during my time at NBC. It is a good place to work. The question is how are they going to fit in with the changing educational industry.
Pros
Excellent work environment
Cons
Trying to find their way in a changing marketplace.
Good place to work while going to college
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILAugust 21, 2017
The bookstore is a fun and easy place to work at. If attending Elmhurst College, it is especially convenient since it is located in the heart of the campus. They work with your class schedule to find the best times to work for you.
Fun place to work.
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEAugust 16, 2017
Fun place to work with a lot of opportunity to learn new skills. Full of friendly people willing to help with any problems work or non work related. Very laid back environment.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
No training at all
Flexible, Fun Work Place
Accounts Recievable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 21, 2017
NBC is a wonderful place to work. The team members are polite and friendly. They allow for extremely flexible work schedules. The environment offers an low stress, even pace.
Great Work Environment
Team Lead-Floor Operations (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 5, 2017
This is a great place to work if you are looking for part-time work or some extra money. As a student they worked well with my schedule and always put school first.
Management is Clueless about books
Warehouse Team Member (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 2, 2017
The new management has no idea what makes a textbook valuable or not, and won't take any help or advise. In fact people have been punished for knowing something management did not. I don't see them lasting much longer in any form.
Pros
I liked the work I did.
Cons
Everything else, pay, management, do not work here.
Dislike
ORDER ENTRY LEAD (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 13, 2017
Use to be a great place to work, now not so much. Down sizing and no room for advancement unless your hired in to management to begin with! Uses temps
Pros
The full time co-workers, who know what their doing
Cons
No pay increase for the last 5 years and benefits

Want to know more about Nebraska Book Company?

Ask a question
Good workplace Decent pay and Benefits
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 5, 2017
Good job if your a college student work is hard but not to challenging additional benefits such as waivers for book rentals you will most likely work in the warehouse where you go and stock books for selection or even pick out books for orders
Felt like Family at one time.Then the new managent came and everything seem to fall apart.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 14, 2017
The place used to feel like family when Mark Opagard ran it. The new management doesn't seem to care about the people. People would work there for years and then retire. The new management you were lucky if you could retire because if you were there too long they would get rid of you.
Pros
The peolple were mostly good people.
Cons
health insurance expensive.
Used to be a great place to work
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 13, 2017
Granted the textbook industry is changing at a rapid pace, but the upper management has no idea how to effectively counter-act these changes and instead opted for the easy cost saving maneuver of laying off all the expensive long term employees and replacing them with non benefited temporary employees.
Pros
Job is relatively easy and the people who work there are fantastic, the co-workers were the best part of the job.
Cons
Upper management's callous disregard for loyal, long term employees, and the knowlegde and experience they bring to the job.
Management Is Truly Awful
Supply Specialist / Procurement Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 9, 2017
The higher ups of the company are way over their heads. They have no idea how the business works and how to keep people happy and willing to work for this company. I mean this is a business that has such a high-profit percentage, but yet this company has managed to not get away from bankruptcy for years. They come out once and then fall right back in and it all starts with the managers of the company.
I dont miss it one bit
Point of Sale (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 29, 2016
Let's just say the people I worked with is the only thing I miss about working at that place. It was a sinking a ship, therefore myself and many others decided to leave before it sank. I found out later on that they fired half of the company staff because they needed to 'downsize'.
Pros
My old team
Cons
Everything else
Terrible workplace enviroment and terrible people as management
Concessions Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 17, 2016
Terrible workplace enviroment. Management didn't know how to control staff and get work done. Management was not employee friendly what so ever. Wouldn't give the yearly raises promised and the management wouldn't work with the college students for the class schedules. I would never work for this place again and suggest anyone else to not work here. My co-workers were fun to work with that wernt magaement and the management would always try to pull the team-members in the drama they were not part of and had nothing to do with it.
Pros
nothing
Cons
Short breaks, getting pulled into drama your not part of.
Helpful Job
Educational Internship- Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Steubenville, OHJune 5, 2016
This was an internship that I needed to complete my degree. However, I am glad I was able to be a part of it. My boss made sure I was able to learn every new skill so that I could do it on my own if need be!
Promising company but no support
Temp warehouse (Former Employee) –  NebraskaMay 12, 2016
I was a warehouse temp working for NBC awhile ago but my coworkers were the most entitled group I had to deal with. Management does a great job of communicating and reaching out to employees and trying to promote a good culture but it falls on deaf ears. The new senior management does a great job and it's unfortunate how unappreciative people are.
Pros
Great management support, benefits
Cons
Sense of entitlement
Was fun/now not so much
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 19, 2016
Management seems to say one thing and does another. Was confident they were going to be around a while but very unsure now.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Unpredictable
Just a JOB
Team Worker (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCFebruary 28, 2016
A part time job for anyone that have nothing to do at the time. This job was only to help me get on my feet until something better came through.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nebraska Book Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8