Nebraska Book Company Employee Reviews

Terrible workplace enviroment and terrible people as management
Concessions Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 17, 2016
Terrible workplace enviroment. Management didn't know how to control staff and get work done. Management was not employee friendly what so ever. Wouldn't give the yearly raises promised and the management wouldn't work with the college students for the class schedules. I would never work for this place again and suggest anyone else to not work here. My co-workers were fun to work with that wernt magaement and the management would always try to pull the team-members in the drama they were not part of and had nothing to do with it.
Pros
nothing
Cons
Short breaks, getting pulled into drama your not part of.
Promising company but no support
Temp warehouse (Former Employee) –  NebraskaMay 12, 2016
I was a warehouse temp working for NBC awhile ago but my coworkers were the most entitled group I had to deal with. Management does a great job of communicating and reaching out to employees and trying to promote a good culture but it falls on deaf ears. The new senior management does a great job and it's unfortunate how unappreciative people are.
Pros
Great management support, benefits
Cons
Sense of entitlement
I dont miss it one bit
Point of Sale (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 29, 2016
Let's just say the people I worked with is the only thing I miss about working at that place. It was a sinking a ship, therefore myself and many others decided to leave before it sank. I found out later on that they fired half of the company staff because they needed to 'downsize'.
Pros
My old team
Cons
Everything else
Management Is Truly Awful
Supply Specialist / Procurement Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 9, 2017
The higher ups of the company are way over their heads. They have no idea how the business works and how to keep people happy and willing to work for this company. I mean this is a business that has such a high-profit percentage, but yet this company has managed to not get away from bankruptcy for years. They come out once and then fall right back in and it all starts with the managers of the company.
Okay for starter job
Software QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 2, 2016
Great coworkers and friendly work environment.

Lots of VP and Directors that make poor decisions. Pay is low compare to the market. I get pay 2x as much for the same job after I left for a different company. It's not bad if you just get out of school and need a starter job.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Poor pay, questionable leadership, job security, poor benefits
Great benefits and the opportunity to help students and build a career
Site Manager/Interim Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 5, 2012
Excellent management and support staff on a local level-honestly the best boss I've ever had. Many career opportunities for someone that can relocate to elsewhere in the country as business demands. Very loyal and hard-working coworkers that honestly want to provide excellent customer service and have a store they can be proud of.

Sometimes very long hours and the usual customer-service related downfalls, although a positive attitude and the ability to follow-up makes a huge difference!
Pros
great benefits and the ability to help students further their professional standing
Cons
several times a year, not much of a work/life balance, more of a work/work balance
Constantly Changing Management
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 2, 2015
Nebraska Book Company has some really great people working for it, but the structure and management are constantly changing. It has a very high turnover rate which makes communication very difficult. It seems to be a company in flux that needs to figure out the direction it wants to go. Pay rates have been stagnant, raises are infrequent, benefits packages are sub-par. There have been may lay offs, dismissals, and people leaving to pursue other opportunities. This took away from the thing I loved the most about the job- the great people I got to work with.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
raises, lay offs
Mangaement doesnt care about employees. Pay is not good.
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Morehead City, NCJune 3, 2015
I worked as a "specialist", which means, I did all of the managers work, plus my own, with no appreciation or compensation. After a new manager was put in place at our store, my hours were cut from 38 hours plus, to one day a week (6 hours). The new manager was completely clueless and was only concerned with socializing with department heads instead of making students and customers happy. After I was basically forced to contact Human Resources about all of my concerns, I further understood why the company was doing nothing to resolve the problem of the horrible manager they hired. They couldn't have cared less about the way myself and the other employee were being mistreated and did nothing to rectify the problem. I have been in the work field for over 20 years and, this company, by far, was the WORST I've ever worked for!
Pros
I got to meet a lot of cool people that came to the store.
Cons
Short breaks and lunches, A 15 min break in the morning and afternoon and only 30 mins (off the clock) for lunch, Management was beyomd horrible. Nearly impossible to receive a raise or to be promoted.
Amazing Place but no permanent work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Godfrey, ILFebruary 21, 2016
Working with college students and textbooks was very interesting. There are many great customers and a few really bad apples, but overall the people are great. There isn't really any room for advancement because they only offer temporary work for college workers. Also they are paid tri-weekly which made a huge paycheck because they gave you perfect hours right around your school schedule. They were located on campus, so you can work before and after class.
Pros
Nice Workers, Friendly environment
Cons
People don't like textbook prices
Good Company Good Benefits
Office Manager / Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 5, 2012
Good Company, Friendly, In my position I would have to deal with Corp. Accounting on occasion and they were always pleasent. The Management at my location was great, had faith in me and promoted me into a position based on my desire to succeed and a previous proven skill set.

Good benefits-- and the option for advancement within the company at large is available (was giving the option to train in NE for a better position)

This company is a solid one, worthy of any potential job seeker
Pros
advancement possibilities, benefits
Not a good place to work
IT Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 13, 2015
This was a good place to work, years ago, raises, bonus' company Holiday parties, summer picnics great benefits. Stayed with the company during the bankruptcy even though there was a pay raise freeze placed on all employees, for 3 years. Once out of bankruptcy, small raises were given and thank you for sticking with them. Then things began to change, work classifications from salaried to Salary plus, with the plus being the more you worked the less you made. Health insurance rates went up and then went to major medical. All holiday parties and picnics were cut. Small department ones took their place. New and more work handed down, no advancement options, no raises again. Last couple of years have seen the company walk employees out in a single day, as job positions or divisions were cut.
Company has so many Directors and VP's that they are beginning to outnumber the number of workers.
It is sad, it really is!!
Pros
Casual dress
Cons
See below
Good people to work with, Disconnected Management
SOFTWARE SUPPORT REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 10, 2015
great employees, decent work atmosphere, casual dress, poor job security, poor benefits, high deductible on insurance, disconnect between the operational (employees) and executive sides of the business
Pros
coworkers
Cons
poor benefits
Poor leadership at corporate level
Manager, Maryville College Bookstore (Former Employee) –  Maryville, TNAugust 18, 2015
The company no longer exists. It was purchased and assimilated by Follett Corporation. Bad management led to poor business practices, making the company a good candidate for being purchased by a bigger company.
Pros
It was a great pleasure to work on a college campus among the Staff, Faculty, and students
Cons
Long hours(11+) with no breaks. No support from chain of command.
Helpful Job
Educational Internship- Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Steubenville, OHJune 5, 2016
This was an internship that I needed to complete my degree. However, I am glad I was able to be a part of it. My boss made sure I was able to learn every new skill so that I could do it on my own if need be!
Worst Place I've ever worked
Manager (Current Employee) –  NebraskaJuly 13, 2012
No support if you are new. No training program. No payroll to hire employees. The buyers at HQ are a joke. The store ran out of notebooks the first day of classes and it took a month to get them back. It's embarrassing when you run out of essential school supplies and sundries. The company doesn't test anything out before it rolls out a program and it is usually a fiasco. The inventory system is from the 80s. Store "support" doesn't even know the ins and outs of the system. They still order books by phone. My boss bragged about having to cut so many peoples benefits. The executives love to brag about their golf games and vacations when you aren't allowed to have more than 2 people on your staff that you have to pay minimum wage. The HQ knows nothing about the book business an executive even asked me what an ISBN was. They cookie cut every store and haven't figured out that it doesn't work.
Pros
working in a college environment is sometimes fun
Cons
you will have to suffer through corporate incompetence
Low wages. Management is just there to collect a paycheck.
Shipping coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 30, 2012
Old boy network. No oppurtunities for advancement. Cushy job with low wages. Management is a joke. Business model is dying a slow death.
Pros
not expected to work hard. if you show up everyday you will keep your job.
Cons
no challenge. management is aloof. low wages.
Great employees, one big family
Software QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 20, 2015
My coworkers were all very wonderful people, made it a fun place to work. Unfortunately, downsizing all long term employees. Always enjoyed testing their software products.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Stopped giving any raises due to company financial issues
unproductive and unstable
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 30, 2015
The culture is unknown. Management is extremely disconnected with what is happening, or their teams are unaware of what the goals are. In either case, communication is very lacking.
Pros
some of the people
Cons
Upper management, money management, no process, poor health insurance, and the bills don't get paid on time.
Good Job Fun and Busy
Assistant Branch Manager/TEAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  WC3, Detroit MichiganOctober 8, 2015
Good work place with good co-workers. Limited amount of problems with new hires, expected in large business. Enjoyed working with my co-workers and helping them succeed. Management changed things little different but manageable. Enjoyed everyday meeting and assisting new customers in the school. Love helping in every way I could.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Health Care
Great managerial experience.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKMarch 23, 2014
This position really opened my eyes to the way business on a corporate level is done.This was also my first job after I graduated from college, so I had a limited perspective on how things worked.

This position helped to improve my knowledge of the business world and sharpened my leadership and client-service skills.

The hardest part of the job was that I had few human resources to work with, as only students applied for my open positions because they were min. wage. and they had limited availability. There was not enough payroll for an assistant so a lot of responsibility was on me - and I had no problem with that.

My management was very hands-off,

The part of the job I most enjoyed was interacting with my employees and my customers while holding down a business.
Pros
Located next to Oklahoma State University's football stadium and basketball arena.
Cons
Student employee pool afforded limited availability

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nebraska Book Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7