Nebraska Book Company

Nebraska Book Company Employee Reviews

Fun place to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Swainsboro, GAJanuary 25, 2016
I loved working for this company. I worked here for 3 years while going to school, and the employees were very nice and helpful.
Customer Service
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LADecember 15, 2015
Being able to have worked for this company was a very skilled experience. Sale books to student as well as stock inventory, file documents. Setup temporary locations stores for smaller schools. The most part of the job that was enjoyable setting up the computer software for different schools as well as being able to experience the difference of people.
Pros
Computer installment team leading
Business/casual work environment
Procurement Manager (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILDecember 14, 2015
Good work/life balance. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people. The office is a modern office on the eighth floor.
Good Job Fun and Busy
Assistant Branch Manager/TEAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  WC3, Detroit MichiganOctober 8, 2015
Good work place with good co-workers. Limited amount of problems with new hires, expected in large business. Enjoyed working with my co-workers and helping them succeed. Management changed things little different but manageable. Enjoyed everyday meeting and assisting new customers in the school. Love helping in every way I could.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Health Care
It's fun but not for everyone
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Godfrey, ILOctober 1, 2015
Working here was bitter/sweet. I loved it and hated it at the same time. The customers can either be pleased or absolutely angry with the prices for the books.
Cons
Very temporary
Great College Job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 21, 2015
I could not have enough good things to say about my time at the Dominion Bookstore. I worked with a lot of my friends, the hours I worked were a nice balance to my academic schedule, and I was even promoted to assistant manager my senior year. There's a lot of turnover like any other college job but pretty much unpacking/shipping textbooks + customer service is the bulk of most job duties.
Poor leadership at corporate level
Manager, Maryville College Bookstore (Former Employee) –  Maryville, TNAugust 18, 2015
The company no longer exists. It was purchased and assimilated by Follett Corporation. Bad management led to poor business practices, making the company a good candidate for being purchased by a bigger company.
Pros
It was a great pleasure to work on a college campus among the Staff, Faculty, and students
Cons
Long hours(11+) with no breaks. No support from chain of command.
It was good job
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXAugust 17, 2015
The hardest part of this job was when receiving a big shipment. I learned how to receive and do invoice on the computer. My co-worker was my supervisor, she was very nice and helpful
Fun workplace though stressful
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNAugust 12, 2015
Great place to work if you like to stay busy, Coworkers are enjoyable and the hours are great. Good pay as well, great benefits and insurance after probationary period is up
Pros
Good work enviromnent
Cons
Stressful situations
Enjoyed working with students and staff.
Dalton State College Bookstore, Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dalton, GAJuly 25, 2015
I enjoyed working with all the students as well as staff on campus. The company was great to work for untill they filled bankrupy.
responsibe for my on day, traveling and setting calendar.
Sales Representative/ Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Ky., Tn., W. Virginia, Virginia, S. IL.July 23, 2015
Making phone call to set up appointments, using e-mail to set appointment and keep in touch with other things that needed attention, traveling to different customer locations and making sales calls , going over up coming events and what was need to follow up from last time I made call on that account. Traveling on to other accounts and making phone call to take care of service issues along with providing information as needed. working on CMR to keep everyone up to date on what was going on with each customer.
Getting to know customers and building long term relationships was one of more fond memories of this time in my working life.
Pros
Setting own calendar
Cons
long travel weeks.
Great employees, one big family
Software QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 20, 2015
My coworkers were all very wonderful people, made it a fun place to work. Unfortunately, downsizing all long term employees. Always enjoyed testing their software products.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Stopped giving any raises due to company financial issues
Not a good place to work
IT Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 13, 2015
This was a good place to work, years ago, raises, bonus' company Holiday parties, summer picnics great benefits. Stayed with the company during the bankruptcy even though there was a pay raise freeze placed on all employees, for 3 years. Once out of bankruptcy, small raises were given and thank you for sticking with them. Then things began to change, work classifications from salaried to Salary plus, with the plus being the more you worked the less you made. Health insurance rates went up and then went to major medical. All holiday parties and picnics were cut. Small department ones took their place. New and more work handed down, no advancement options, no raises again. Last couple of years have seen the company walk employees out in a single day, as job positions or divisions were cut.
Company has so many Directors and VP's that they are beginning to outnumber the number of workers.
It is sad, it really is!!
Pros
Casual dress
Cons
See below
Fun place to work!
College Assistant (Former Employee) –  Godfrey, ILJuly 10, 2015
Manager was kind of uptight, and high strung, but overall the job was quite fun. Overall the job was alright, didn't get to work there very long, or else I would write more.
Good people to work with, Disconnected Management
SOFTWARE SUPPORT REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 10, 2015
great employees, decent work atmosphere, casual dress, poor job security, poor benefits, high deductible on insurance, disconnect between the operational (employees) and executive sides of the business
Pros
coworkers
Cons
poor benefits
Productive and Fun place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILJune 27, 2015
A typical day at work was invoicing and stocking books, handling customers questions and complaints, I developed strong communication skills. My co-workers were amazing.
Challenging work environment
Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Nebraska Book CompanyJune 21, 2015
Nebraska Book Company provided me the opportunity to work with many different types of teams. It also increased by ability to work under pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
Like being on the Titanic, enjoyable while it lasted, I could have done without the sinking feeling at the end.
IT Dept (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJune 16, 2015
Well it was kind of like being on the titanic, it was enjoyable while it lasted, but I could have done without the sinking feeling at the end.
Pros
Great people, relaxed atmosphere
Mangaement doesnt care about employees. Pay is not good.
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Morehead City, NCJune 3, 2015
I worked as a "specialist", which means, I did all of the managers work, plus my own, with no appreciation or compensation. After a new manager was put in place at our store, my hours were cut from 38 hours plus, to one day a week (6 hours). The new manager was completely clueless and was only concerned with socializing with department heads instead of making students and customers happy. After I was basically forced to contact Human Resources about all of my concerns, I further understood why the company was doing nothing to resolve the problem of the horrible manager they hired. They couldn't have cared less about the way myself and the other employee were being mistreated and did nothing to rectify the problem. I have been in the work field for over 20 years and, this company, by far, was the WORST I've ever worked for!
Pros
I got to meet a lot of cool people that came to the store.
Cons
Short breaks and lunches, A 15 min break in the morning and afternoon and only 30 mins (off the clock) for lunch, Management was beyomd horrible. Nearly impossible to receive a raise or to be promoted.
Bookstore Manager
Bookstore Manager (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIJune 1, 2015
Very busy at times during the beginning and end of each semester. Other than that it is slower and involved a lot of paperwork at times for each business day.