Nebraska Book Company

Nebraska Book Company Employee Reviews

Challenging work environment
Accounting Manager (Current Employee), Nebraska Book CompanyJune 21, 2015
Nebraska Book Company provided me the opportunity to work with many different types of teams. It also increased by ability to work under pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
Like being on the Titanic, enjoyable while it lasted, I could have done without the sinking feeling at the end.
IT Dept (Current Employee), Lincoln, NEJune 16, 2015
Pros: Great people, relaxed atmosphere
Well it was kind of like being on the titanic, it was enjoyable while it lasted, but I could have done without the sinking feeling at the end.
Mangaement doesnt care about employees. Pay is not good.
Specialist (Former Employee), Morehead City, NCJune 3, 2015
Pros: I got to meet a lot of cool people that came to the store.
Cons: Short breaks and lunches, A 15 min break in the morning and afternoon and only 30 mins (off the clock) for lunch, Management was beyomd horrible. Nearly impossible to receive a raise or to be promoted.
I worked as a "specialist", which means, I did all of the managers work, plus my own, with no appreciation or compensation. After a new manager was put in place at our store, my hours were cut from 38 hours plus, to one day a week (6 hours). The new manager was completely clueless and was only concerned with socializing with department heads instead of making students and customers happy. After – more... I was basically forced to contact Human Resources about all of my concerns, I further understood why the company was doing nothing to resolve the problem of the horrible manager they hired. They couldn't have cared less about the way myself and the other employee were being mistreated and did nothing to rectify the problem. I have been in the work field for over 20 years and, this company, by far, was the WORST I've ever worked for! – less
Bookstore Manager
Bookstore Manager (Current Employee), Wausau, WIJune 1, 2015
Very busy at times during the beginning and end of each semester. Other than that it is slower and involved a lot of paperwork at times for each business day.
Excellent company to work for.
Supervisor of Account Reps (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEMay 14, 2015
I particularly enjoyed traveling and meeting all of the managers and text managers in the colleges and universities I was in contact with.
Each day was different that the one before as each day brought new challenges and opportunities.
I am a self-motivated person, and I enjoyed helping to motivate the people I supervised.
Not Recommended
Accountant (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEMay 5, 2015
Pros: Accounting Managers and Staff
Cons: Top Managment, expected to work many nights and weekends, poor benefits, below average pay, inefficient processes, red tape..
The people you get to work with are great; the only problem is that there is such high turnover that there is very little culture and it is very difficult to get consistent information.

Top accounting management pushes everything down onto middle-management and constantly bombards them with "urgent" deadlines, only to neglect to look over things or even use what they have been given. These requests – more... are non-stop throughout the day, and even evenings and weekends. This causes a lot of work and stress for middle-management, which cuts into time they should be spending managing their own departments. Because of this, there have been many bright, energetic Accounting Managers who have been quickly burned out and found jobs elsewhere.

Getting information from other departments is like pulling teeth. To get a simple report sometimes can take weeks because email messages keep getting forwarded to other people throughout the company and there is not a specific contact that you can reach out to.

The processes are a mess. There are over 200 college book stores, and they are constantly adding and closing them, so with new managers there is no uniformity on reporting financials to headquarters. Because of this, deadlines keep getting backed up on top of other deadlines and make a lot of work for the staff. The month end close could take 2 days if all the information was given to accounting in a timely manner, but it drags out for longer than 10 days and piles up, which requires staff to work some nights and weekends to get things done, when it is unnecessary to do so.

In any salary position, it is understood that sometimes there will be some longer days or a couple nights or some weekend work to be done, but here it shouldn't be needed on such a consistent basis.

Accounting Managers, in my experience, have been very helpful, available, willing to teach or explain a process, willing to invest in their staff, and will reach out to others to help get what they need. But because there is so much turnover with accounting managers, a lot of times, the clerks and staff will have to report to top management. Top management are quick to come down on an employee, rarely available due to scheduling countless, pointless meetings, or because they are not on-site, and many times won't listen when an employee comes to them with a problem, only to blame the same employee for the problem months later.

If you end up with a good manager who can deal with top management and sticks around, this can be an enjoyable job, but otherwise, I would look elsewhere. – less
Constantly Changing Management
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEMay 2, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: raises, lay offs
Nebraska Book Company has some really great people working for it, but the structure and management are constantly changing. It has a very high turnover rate which makes communication very difficult. It seems to be a company in flux that needs to figure out the direction it wants to go. Pay rates have been stagnant, raises are infrequent, benefits packages are sub-par. There have been may lay offs, dismissals, and people leaving to pursue other opportunities. This took away from the thing I loved the most about the job- the great people I got to work with.
unproductive and unstable
Accountant (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEApril 30, 2015
Pros: some of the people
Cons: Upper management, money management, no process, poor health insurance, and the bills don't get paid on time.
The culture is unknown. Management is extremely disconnected with what is happening, or their teams are unaware of what the goals are. In either case, communication is very lacking.
Great company to work for as a college student
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee), Lubbock, TXMarch 24, 2015
Worked with my school schedule, very relaxed environment. Management and coworkers were very friendly, tasks were easy and doable. Would recommend for any college student.
A company finding it's Brand.
Regional Manager (Current Employee), Lincoln, NEFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: travel expenses, friendly teams
Cons: uncertain future growth, job security
Neebo is currently restructuring a great deal of it's company and is adjusting with the times of bookstores and the digital age. As with any company, there are growing pains, but I most are waiting to see what direction the company takes with a new CEO.
Collegiate Sportswear
Category Product Manager - Men's Apparel and Hats (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLFebruary 12, 2015
Neebo, formerly Nebraska Book Company, provides fan gear for over 280 collegiate retail outlets. I learned a great deal while employed there.
Excellent Company
Educational Internship- Office Assistant (Former Employee), Steubenville, OHJanuary 26, 2015
Working for this company is very enjoyable. If you like cars it is definitely something to check out. My boss was very supportive and understanding of everything. Flexible hours and a fun place to be employed for!
Non Productive Stressful Environment
Team Leader (Current Employee), Calhoun, GANovember 13, 2014
Hardest part of the the job. Knowing that you work for a Supervisor who is not treating you right.
Run away as fast as you can
Accountant (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEAugust 21, 2014
Pros: the warehouse employees are super nice, along with closer co-workers
Cons: management, micromanaged, stability is scary
The management at this company are in place because upper management liked them. It doesn't matter if they should be managers or are good with people. The management puts you down and nit picks everything. This was such a horrible experience for me that I couldn't even make it to my goal of a year to build my resume. My manager micromanaged by email. Denied my vacation requests. Very Do as I say not as I do mentality. Managers are not on the same page. You feel like you are running around in circles and getting nothing accomplished and are always behind.
Good place to work bad adminstration
Electrician (Former Employee), Lincoln, NebraskaAugust 8, 2014
Pros: laid back work envirorment
Cons: bad management structure, bad health insurance
Was offered and accepted job with criminal history. Was up front on application. Was let go 3 weeks later when background check came back with exactly what I divulged on the application. I even made sure to ask if it was an issue during the hiring process
Worked around school well
Specialist (Former Employee), Ukiah, CAJuly 13, 2014
They worked around my school schedule, except the times when I worked the most were the busiest times of school (finals, etc)
fun fun fun job
Customer Service / Cashier (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 8, 2014
pretty easy going not really big issues just fun in the sun and blah blah blah blah ablha
Productive and fun workplace for college students
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Frankfort, KYJune 1, 2014
Pros: accessible lunch, work hours, campus convenience
Cons: short breaks, slow production during school year
*Enjoyed running cash register
*Great environment for students
*Easy to manage because employees enjoyed their job
Above average warehouse job
Stocker/Picker (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEApril 1, 2014
Pros: minimal supervision, no customers to deal with
Cons: physical job, can get very hectic
I worked at NBC a few times as a temp worker. The pay wasn't great, and I was on my feet all day, but I didn't have to interact with customers, and as long as you get your job done, no one really bothers you. This is a good summer or winter break job for students, although I'm not sure it's something most people would want to do long-term. The floor is really hard on your feet, plus there is a lot – more... of climbing up and down ladders and bookshelves. During the busy seasons, things can get extremely hectic, and there are lots of opportunities for overtime. For stockers, overtime is typically mandatory, but it's optional for pickers. Everyone there is very nice, and the supervisors don't micromanage. I'd say this is an above average warehouse-type job and great if you don't like interacting with customers, but bad if you don't like being on your feet. – less
Revolving door of management
MANAGER (Former Employee), Detroit, MIApril 1, 2014
Pros: the many connections made with co-workers
Cons: not enough time...
There are many changers occurring. Corporate and middle management have different ideas as to what direction the company's focus should be.

1 2 3

About Nebraska Book Company

Nebraska Book Company | Neebo is dedicated to making college - one of the best times in life - even better for students.

Nebraska Book Company Salaries