Nebraska Book Company

Nebraska Book Company Employee Reviews

responsibe for my on day, traveling and setting calendar.
Sales Representative/ Territory Manager (Former Employee), Ky., Tn., W. Virginia, Virginia, S. IL.July 23, 2015
Pros: Setting own calendar
Cons: long travel weeks.
Making phone call to set up appointments, using e-mail to set appointment and keep in touch with other things that needed attention, traveling to different customer locations and making sales calls , going over up coming events and what was need to follow up from last time I made call on that account. Traveling on to other accounts and making phone call to take care of service issues along with providing information as needed. working on CMR to keep everyone up to date on what was going on with each customer.
Getting to know customers and building long term relationships was one of more fond memories of this time in my working life.
Great employees, one big family
Software QA Engineer (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Great coworkers
Cons: Stopped giving any raises due to company financial issues
My coworkers were all very wonderful people, made it a fun place to work. Unfortunately, downsizing all long term employees. Always enjoyed testing their software products.
Not a good place to work
IT Support Representative (Current Employee), Lincoln, NEJuly 13, 2015
Pros: Casual dress
Cons: See below
This was a good place to work, years ago, raises, bonus' company Holiday parties, summer picnics great benefits. Stayed with the company during the bankruptcy even though there was a pay raise freeze placed on all employees, for 3 years. Once out of bankruptcy, small raises were given and thank you for sticking with them. Then things began to change, work classifications from salaried to Salary plus, with the plus being the more you worked the less you made. Health insurance rates went up and then went to major medical. All holiday parties and picnics were cut. Small department ones took their place. New and more work handed down, no advancement options, no raises again. Last couple of years have seen the company walk employees out in a single day, as job positions or divisions were cut.
Company has so many Directors and VP's that they are beginning to outnumber the number of workers.
It is sad, it really is!!
Fun place to work!
College Assistant (Former Employee), Godfrey, ILJuly 10, 2015
Manager was kind of uptight, and high strung, but overall the job was quite fun. Overall the job was alright, didn't get to work there very long, or else I would write more.
Good people to work with, Disconnected Management
SOFTWARE SUPPORT REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEJuly 10, 2015
Pros: coworkers
Cons: poor benefits
great employees, decent work atmosphere, casual dress, poor job security, poor benefits, high deductible on insurance, disconnect between the operational (employees) and executive sides of the business
Productive and Fun place to work
Team Member (Former Employee), Galesburg, ILJune 27, 2015
A typical day at work was invoicing and stocking books, handling customers questions and complaints, I developed strong communication skills. My co-workers were amazing.
Challenging work environment
Accounting Manager (Current Employee), Nebraska Book CompanyJune 21, 2015
Nebraska Book Company provided me the opportunity to work with many different types of teams. It also increased by ability to work under pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
Like being on the Titanic, enjoyable while it lasted, I could have done without the sinking feeling at the end.
IT Dept (Current Employee), Lincoln, NEJune 16, 2015
Pros: Great people, relaxed atmosphere
Well it was kind of like being on the titanic, it was enjoyable while it lasted, but I could have done without the sinking feeling at the end.
Mangaement doesnt care about employees. Pay is not good.
Specialist (Former Employee), Morehead City, NCJune 3, 2015
Pros: I got to meet a lot of cool people that came to the store.
Cons: Short breaks and lunches, A 15 min break in the morning and afternoon and only 30 mins (off the clock) for lunch, Management was beyomd horrible. Nearly impossible to receive a raise or to be promoted.
I worked as a "specialist", which means, I did all of the managers work, plus my own, with no appreciation or compensation. After a new manager was put in place at our store, my hours were cut from 38 hours plus, to one day a week (6 hours). The new manager was completely clueless and was only concerned with socializing with department heads instead of making students and customers happy. After I was basically forced to contact Human Resources about all of my concerns, I further understood why the company was doing nothing to resolve the problem of the horrible manager they hired. They couldn't have cared less about the way myself and the other employee were being mistreated and did nothing to rectify the problem. I have been in the work field for over 20 years and, this company, by far, was the WORST I've ever worked for!
Bookstore Manager
Bookstore Manager (Current Employee), Wausau, WIJune 1, 2015
Very busy at times during the beginning and end of each semester. Other than that it is slower and involved a lot of paperwork at times for each business day.
Excellent company to work for.
Supervisor of Account Reps (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEMay 14, 2015
I particularly enjoyed traveling and meeting all of the managers and text managers in the colleges and universities I was in contact with.
Each day was different that the one before as each day brought new challenges and opportunities.
I am a self-motivated person, and I enjoyed helping to motivate the people I supervised.
Not Recommended
Accountant (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEMay 5, 2015
Pros: Accounting Managers and Staff
Cons: Top Managment, expected to work many nights and weekends, poor benefits, below average pay, inefficient processes, red tape..
The people you get to work with are great; the only problem is that there is such high turnover that there is very little culture and it is very difficult to get consistent information.

Top accounting management pushes everything down onto middle-management and constantly bombards them with "urgent" deadlines, only to neglect to look over things or even use what they have been given. These requests are non-stop throughout the day, and even evenings and weekends. This causes a lot of work and stress for middle-management, which cuts into time they should be spending managing their own departments. Because of this, there have been many bright, energetic Accounting Managers who have been quickly burned out and found jobs elsewhere.

Getting information from other departments is like pulling teeth. To get a simple report sometimes can take weeks because email messages keep getting forwarded to other people throughout the company and there is not a specific contact that you can reach out to.

The processes are a mess. There are over 200 college book stores, and they are constantly adding and closing them, so with new managers there is no uniformity on reporting financials to headquarters. Because of this, deadlines keep getting backed up on top of other deadlines and make a lot of work for the staff. The month end close could take 2 days if all the information was given to accounting in a timely manner, but it drags out for longer than 10 days and piles up, which requires staff to work some nights and weekends to get things done, when it is unnecessary to do so.

In any – more... salary position, it is understood that sometimes there will be some longer days or a couple nights or some weekend work to be done, but here it shouldn't be needed on such a consistent basis.

Accounting Managers, in my experience, have been very helpful, available, willing to teach or explain a process, willing to invest in their staff, and will reach out to others to help get what they need. But because there is so much turnover with accounting managers, a lot of times, the clerks and staff will have to report to top management. Top management are quick to come down on an employee, rarely available due to scheduling countless, pointless meetings, or because they are not on-site, and many times won't listen when an employee comes to them with a problem, only to blame the same employee for the problem months later.

If you end up with a good manager who can deal with top management and sticks around, this can be an enjoyable job, but otherwise, I would look elsewhere. – less
Constantly Changing Management
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEMay 2, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: raises, lay offs
Nebraska Book Company has some really great people working for it, but the structure and management are constantly changing. It has a very high turnover rate which makes communication very difficult. It seems to be a company in flux that needs to figure out the direction it wants to go. Pay rates have been stagnant, raises are infrequent, benefits packages are sub-par. There have been may lay offs, dismissals, and people leaving to pursue other opportunities. This took away from the thing I loved the most about the job- the great people I got to work with.
unproductive and unstable
Accountant (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEApril 30, 2015
Pros: some of the people
Cons: Upper management, money management, no process, poor health insurance, and the bills don't get paid on time.
The culture is unknown. Management is extremely disconnected with what is happening, or their teams are unaware of what the goals are. In either case, communication is very lacking.
Great company to work for as a college student
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee), Lubbock, TXMarch 24, 2015
Worked with my school schedule, very relaxed environment. Management and coworkers were very friendly, tasks were easy and doable. Would recommend for any college student.
A company finding it's Brand.
Regional Manager (Current Employee), Lincoln, NEFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: travel expenses, friendly teams
Cons: uncertain future growth, job security
Neebo is currently restructuring a great deal of it's company and is adjusting with the times of bookstores and the digital age. As with any company, there are growing pains, but I most are waiting to see what direction the company takes with a new CEO.
Collegiate Sportswear
Category Product Manager - Men's Apparel and Hats (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLFebruary 12, 2015
Neebo, formerly Nebraska Book Company, provides fan gear for over 280 collegiate retail outlets. I learned a great deal while employed there.
Excellent Company
Educational Internship- Office Assistant (Former Employee), Steubenville, OHJanuary 26, 2015
Working for this company is very enjoyable. If you like cars it is definitely something to check out. My boss was very supportive and understanding of everything. Flexible hours and a fun place to be employed for!
Non Productive Stressful Environment
Team Leader (Current Employee), Calhoun, GANovember 13, 2014
Hardest part of the the job. Knowing that you work for a Supervisor who is not treating you right.
Run away as fast as you can
Accountant (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEAugust 21, 2014
Pros: the warehouse employees are super nice, along with closer co-workers
Cons: management, micromanaged, stability is scary
The management at this company are in place because upper management liked them. It doesn't matter if they should be managers or are good with people. The management puts you down and nit picks everything. This was such a horrible experience for me that I couldn't even make it to my goal of a year to build my resume. My manager micromanaged by email. Denied my vacation requests. Very Do as I say not as I do mentality. Managers are not on the same page. You feel like you are running around in circles and getting nothing accomplished and are always behind.
Headquarters