Neighborhood Centers Inc.

Neighborhood Centers Inc. Employer Reviews

Company with great mission, poor management
CIE (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 19, 2014
Seems that at this company about 3 people make decisions that affect 200+ people. This creates a big divide between head managers and their employees.
NCI is improving its Customer Srvice
Facilitator (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 28, 2014
A typical work day begins at 7:30am and ends at 5:30pm.
I prepare job search matarial and facilitate trainings for 2 seperate groups on Tuesdays and Thursdays; one training in the morning and the other in the afternoon.
On Wednesday mornings I facilitate a 2 hour training using PowerPoint presentations and handouts for a special group of benefits recipients.

Myself, – more... along with other staff members spend a total of 8 hours a day helping over 1,200 customers with identifying their skills, creating profiles in WIT, uploading resumes/CV's, and writing various letters to companies for employment, and appeals for unemployment benefits.

I also administer at least 2 to 6 online academic TABE test for those seeking scholarships for additional certifications, employment, or career training.

I learn something everyday from management, customers and co-workers. What's most interesting is how we all seem to work cohesively in meeting our personal objectives and the customers objectives by the end of the day.

The hardest part of my job is standing on my feet for 8 hours, but it is essential that we stand and sometimes sit with those having difficulties operating a computer, or experiencing other technical issues.

The most enjoyable part of my job is hearing encouraging reports from my manager on how well customers received the information taught in my workshops and trainings. It also makes me feel pretty good that customers actually get interviews and jobs based on information and techniques that I taught them. – less
Promotions were great.
Program Manager Veterans Department (Former Employee), Houston, TexasJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: being able to help those in need.
Cons: year to year grant job.
Working for a company that assists others and meets their unmet needs is a wonderful thing. I headed up two of the Programs with this company that was responsible for helping hundreds of families with over millions of doolars and the experience was GREAT.
Different cultures of people working together. Its very friendly and helpful environment.
Volunteer (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 8, 2014
Its a place where people from different cultures, different areas work together to help each other. It has many different facilities to help people like school, adult education, day care etc. Its a very nice place with nice environment to work.
Wonderful workplace
Case Manager (Former Employee), Houston TxDecember 10, 2013
I enjoyed coworkers and clients. Good client morale and family environment.
Busy, fast-paced environment
Customer Service Manager - Child Care Services (Former Employee), Tyler, TXAugust 16, 2013
Pros: the program is very beneficial to many low-income families.
Cons: participants are often non-compliant, not enough staff to complete tasks, high turn-over.
Must use great customer service skills with internal and external customers. Be able to multi-task; know and comply with both State and local policies and procedures;
Fun family oriented workplace
Case Manager/ Adminstrative /Human Services (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 10, 2013
Pros: great workplace
Cons: low pay
Great company low pay case management was my position. Position was contract only. Other positions has a huge job detail and low pay unfortunately.
great learning exp
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), houston txJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: rewarding
Cons: minimal advancement, salary
great entry level position
rewarding working with children
lesson planning
great place to grow and work
Community Health Worker (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 5, 2013
working with people was the best.... i earned a certificate working with this company
Productive and enjoyable
Senior Health& Nutrition Coordinator (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 1, 2012
Driven, enjoyable fun and working with the kids was even better, Sometimes overwhelming because we served 2400 children but it always worked out. My team and co-workers was the best and I really miss them. Upper management was not supportive and sometimes degrading.
Great place
Membership Activities Specialist (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 27, 2012
I loved especially working with those in the community where I live, as well as other areas. It was a pleasure being put in a position where I help to meet the needs of the people in the community. It gave me a chance to broaden my work skills from just being a banker to a community servant. I love helping others to realize greater potentials in their – more... lives. We had a charter school on campus and I truly loved the inter-actions with the students and youths from the neighborhood. They are our future, so it is important to mole them in a way we can all be proud of. Due to grants issues, 35 of us had our jobs deleted within a couple of days. This company will always be special to me for the work they provide to our communities. – less
Friendly
Family Service Specialist (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 25, 2012
A great place to work. Must love working with children and families. A not for profit agency.
Very fulfilling work
Service Connector (Case Manager) DHAP-IKE Program (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 29, 2012
Pros: being a part of an organization that is geared towards helping people.
Cons: the specific program i worked for was temporary
I really enjoyed working with the DHAP-IKE program. Co-workers were great and I had the opportunity to spearhead a program that allowed me to conduct bi-monthly seminars geared towards peer empowerment. The hardest part of the job was knowing that there was only so much I could do for my clients. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my – more... clients and building those relationships. The overall experience taught me that this is truly my passion. – less
Great!!
Specialist (Current Employee), Rocky MOunt, NCMay 16, 2012
Run daily operations of a recreation center. i HAVE 5 PART TIME EMPLOYEES AND RUN A VARIETY OF PROGRAMS FOR ALL AGES.
great environment
FAS (Former Employee)September 1, 2011
Pros: community based
Great organization great morale low turnover rate
productive and fun workplace multicultural