Neighborhood Centers Inc.

Neighborhood Centers Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Neighborhood Centers
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 17, 2016
Very comfortable work environment and supervisors were very understanding and always willing to help you out. Safe work environment.
Not sure where they went wrong...
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort Bend County, TXAugust 13, 2016
The idea of this company is greater than what goes on in this company. Although I will admit there are some great people associated with this company unfortunately they are not in high enough positions to produce the change that is needed to remove a lot of the non-sense that is in the company. Im not sure how they where in the past but save yourself the stress and apply else where. Messy environment Messy people but great families and Children.
Pros
the idea of what the company could be
Cons
who you know here is more valuable then if you do your job
Great place for sumer work
AUDIO VISUAL SOMETHING! lol (Former Employee) –  Bellaire, TX 77401May 30, 2016
the co workers are usually nice to each other. but the upper management expects white glove support for highschool respect. meaning, even if you try to give them advice about why a certain practice is not working correctly, and how to fix it, THEY DON'T CARE! Even if something happens in your department and it is none of your fault, IT IS YOUR FAULT! And if you really need to work there, my advise is to work there, but keep your resume active! And NEVER,,, try to correct upper management!!!!!!!! Because even if they don't know how it should work,, some how,, THEY KNOW HOW IT SHOULD WORK! lol!!!
Unpredictable environment where appreciative inquiry is preached but not practiced internally
Director (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 25, 2016
Extremely high turnover and now I know why. Odd culture of fear managing. The rules aren't written down and change frequently. High level of sporadic, stirred up busyness. Commonly referred to as a fast paced organization however found it slow and inflexible.
Pros
Met nice people in the community
Cons
Old structure, creating fear in others is fostered, CEO frequently out still micro manages and alters other's priorities based a whim
Helpful staff
Volunteer Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 29, 2016
This was a volunteer program in coordination with the Internal Revenue service. We helped clients with net income below 60k with filing their taxes.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
no compensation
Great co workers at the time.
Case manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 25, 2015
The program DHAP-IKE was to help hurricane Katrina victims with furniture, food, clothing, etc. Due to the grant money running out, the program had to close.
Busy, connecting with parents, and given more responsibility
Family Development Worker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 24, 2015
If your retired at live at home this is the perfect job for someone who does not mind having to do a lot of ripping, running after people who are non compliment with the program. Management gives you a lot of work with limited direction on how it should be done.
Pay
School Principal (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 10, 2015
The pay is okay, however you give a lot of yourself. It is a great concept of what you would want your non-profit to be; however, you as the employee are unappreciated.
Great company
Director of Utility Assistance (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 1, 2015
Great non profit to work for in Houston. Leadership team is passionate about transformation change within the Houston community.
Provider Management Specialist
Provider Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TxMarch 23, 2015
To develop close working relationships with child care providers. Conduct on-site technical assistance and training visits. Perform assessment visits for Texas Rising Star providers. Work to recruit new and maintain existing Texas Rising Star providers through technical assistance through distribution of child development resources. Prepare inclusion plans for providers
Caring for children with disabilities. Monitor child care providers to ensure compliance with contractual regulations and provide technical assistance as needed
Pros
advancement
Cons
reduction in force lost funding
Rampant Racism in Accounting
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 24, 2015
If you have black skin, under no circumstances should you work in the Accounting department. Blacks are not promoted nor valued. This department has a very cold environment and the ranks of races is clear.

1. Whites - get most of the managerial jobs
2. Asians - are next in line to advance
3. Hispanics - always promoted before blacks but never before whites or Asians
4. Blacks - never promoted

This is truly a dead end job if you are black. White managers work to force black managers and employees out. I know this because two white accounting employees told me this after attending meetings with white managers. There is high turnover due to the culture. Human resources does not help and if you complain, you will be terminated.
Pros
pays my bills
Cons
racism, bad culture, tense environment
Assist Low-Income Taxpayers File FY2015 and Amended Tax Returns
Volunteer and Community Service (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 18, 2015
Assist to set up work site location, translate, ensure proper forms are disributed and filled out to prior to meeting with tax representative. Currently, I assist as needed and continue my coursework requirements to achieve Certification to prepare tax returns. I enjoy being able to help others who maybe confused with the IRS Tax Rules, Regulations and Mathmatics. The job is very rewarding for me by watching a Taxpayer leave with a piece of mind and knowing their taxes have been filed for FY2015.
Pros
sitting, applying mathmatics, bilingual, and seeing a taxpayer smile with relief to know they will receive a tax refund.
Cons
seeing a displeased taxpayer.
Unstable enviornment
Intake Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  North East TexasFebruary 3, 2015
This is a an environment of women. Communication between the IES on the floor and between " management" is very one sided.
The pay is good however the benefits are lacking in quality. They can be loud and and unprofessional at times. They didn't have formal training when I began. Before that ,you would have to sit with different people, who all had their own way of doing the work Usually they would make the new person file for three weeks are more depending on the amount of cases the outer offices bring in. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with all the different instructions of how to perform one particular task from at least four different people and none have a clue as to the correct way to do it. If I had known what I know now before taking the position with this company I would have stayed where I was. There contract is up for bid January and they won't know if they will keep it until March.
Pros
the women on the floor are nice.
Cons
management is not trust worthy, unorganized, petty, and deceptive.
Nice place to work if you enjoy working with children and families
Community Engagement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 12, 2015
The most enojoyable quality of this work is knowing you've made a difference in a child/families life.
Pros
holiday an summer vacation
Cons
limited leave (sick/vacation)
Busy and Customer service office
Personal Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 22, 2014
You assist customers who visit the office seeking employment assistance. We provide financial assistance for customer interested in returning back to school, to update their skills. We provide work referrals and also work shop such as resume writing and interviews tools.
Nice place to work.
Family Development Worker (Former Employee) –  Southwest HoustonNovember 11, 2014
Typical day: welcoming parents and kids, talking with parents of any concerns. Data entry, taking attendance, helping teachers. My co-workers were very good people always willing to work in a team work environment. My hardest part of the job where applications time. always too many people. The most enjoyable part, when kids where singing dancing playing.
Pros
very good vacation time
Cons
too much stress.
Not a good place to work
Accounting Dept (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 28, 2014
Not a good place to work for they are more concern about the community rather than employees especially minorities. No raises, low pay everyone here trying to get out. Not concern about you at all. Vacation and sick time accumulates very slow, the pay is not up to par everyone especially minority is UNDER PAID. Its like a revolving door constantly, people come and leave very quickly. They don't like you to talk to peers must be working at all times watch you like a hawk.THIS IS THE WORSE PLACE I HAVE EVER WORKED IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. Not a comfortable place to work. Not people friendly no good morning, how you doing, no smile they look the other way to keep from speaking. I could say more but you get my drift. KEEP IT MOVING!!!!
Cons
flex friday's
Established well known non-profit
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 22, 2014
Extremely innovative and constantly growing in the direction of public needs. Receives national recognition for transforming neighborhoods and communities.
Pros
9/80 schedules
Company with great mission, poor management
CIE (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 19, 2014
Seems that at this company about 3 people make decisions that affect 200+ people. This creates a big divide between head managers and their employees.
NCI is improving its Customer Srvice
Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 28, 2014
A typical work day begins at 7:30am and ends at 5:30pm.
I prepare job search matarial and facilitate trainings for 2 seperate groups on Tuesdays and Thursdays; one training in the morning and the other in the afternoon.
On Wednesday mornings I facilitate a 2 hour training using PowerPoint presentations and handouts for a special group of benefits recipients.

Myself, along with other staff members spend a total of 8 hours a day helping over 1,200 customers with identifying their skills, creating profiles in WIT, uploading resumes/CV's, and writing various letters to companies for employment, and appeals for unemployment benefits.

I also administer at least 2 to 6 online academic TABE test for those seeking scholarships for additional certifications, employment, or career training.

I learn something everyday from management, customers and co-workers. What's most interesting is how we all seem to work cohesively in meeting our personal objectives and the customers objectives by the end of the day.

The hardest part of my job is standing on my feet for 8 hours, but it is essential that we stand and sometimes sit with those having difficulties operating a computer, or experiencing other technical issues.

The most enjoyable part of my job is hearing encouraging reports from my manager on how well customers received the information taught in my workshops and trainings. It also makes me feel pretty good that customers actually get interviews and jobs based on information and techniques that I taught them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Neighborhood Centers Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Neighborhood Centers Inc. Reviews by Location