Neighborhood Health Plan (NHP)

Neighborhood Health Plan (NHP) Employer Reviews

Awesome jobplace
Marketing Representative (Former Employee), Bronx, NYOctober 27, 2014
Employees were treated with respect, the salary was good and there was a lot of opportunities to grow.
Productive learning enviornment in all aspects of an indiviuals life
Claims Reviewer (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 3, 2014
Very diverse company. As a previous employee, there is room for much growth. However, not just the work, personal life growth as well. Many of classes offered with ample amounts of networking and opportunities available.
Great company, not so great management
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), Boston, MASeptember 25, 2014
Pros: benefits, pay
Cons: micro management
The company is pretty awesome, the co-workers are very helpful and great as well,. In the call center the management can care less about the employees and their lives, they have an "occurrence" system, if you literally a minute late you get some part of an occurance, if you have a heart attack, it will count as an occurrence because you either cant – more... make it to work OR left work to go to the hospital, regardless it ALL counts against occurrences. After 9 occurrences toy are fired. Simple as that, you get scheduled PERSONAL TIME, cannot take very long in the restrooms so if your having a stomach ache, good LUCK! All these rules make it very hard and hostile to work in the call center, every other department is pretty awesome. – less
Company is in the process of making changes for the better.
Administrative Assistant01 (Former Employee), Boston, MASeptember 22, 2014
Pros: friendly workers
Cons: too many people unfamiliar with the process order
System clean up was a long task that needed more hands on deck.
Provider relations (Former Employee), Boston, MAJune 18, 2014
Really enjoyed working at NHP. Company is family oriented and really cares about their employees.
Used to be great!
Rather not say (Current Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 11, 2014
Good benefits, mediocre management, no collaboration with staff, minimal training and limited support. Poor communication to floor staff.
great company to work for
Clinical Support Coordinator (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 17, 2014
worked here for 10 years friendly coworkers, good management great benefita.
Great coworkers and a nice place to work
Senior Accountant (Former Employee), Boston, MASSJanuary 15, 2014
Worked from 9 to 5. Great benefits, not as much for advancement
Do yourself a favor...keep looking!!
Employee (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 14, 2014
Cons: management and executives
Management is horrible, self-absorbed and only looking to advance themselves.
good experience
Data Analyst (Former Employee), Boston, MAJuly 9, 2013
nice place, good people
learnt a lot from work, good and clear instruction from supervisor, worm help from other co-wokers.
5th largest HMO in MA and growing in the commercial market
Sr. Account Manager (Current Employee), Boston, MAMarch 12, 2013
NHP is a company with a great mission and serves a significant purpose in both the Medicaid and commercial health insurance marketplace in Massachusetts. The company was just acquired by Partners Healthcare, so hopefully they are able to take advantage of the increased funding available to get up to speed in certain areas of the industry, such as technology.

NHP – more... is a small organization (400 employees), but that has its advantages in that things can get done quicker by simply walking to a different department and hand-delivering a request/task. The company has recently increased its commitment to growing in the commercial health insurance space, so I believe there are big things to come from this company. – less
very professional
Customer Service (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 31, 2013
great place to work, great core values. managment is very supportive
Very political.
Manager (Former Employee), BostonJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: flexible hours and good benefits
Cons: very political
NHP was a fantastic company to work with a mission to help the underserved have access to healthcare, but has become political and top heavy with "senior" directors and VP's. This company has gone from a company which values employees to a ruthless corporate type company which values profits above all. Promotions are given randomly and new director – more... positions are created out of thin air. There is no support program for employees and employees are encouraged to throw each other under the bus. The back stabbing culture is encouraged by both senior management and HR. Workdays filled with meetings reduced the interaction of managers and staff and reduced productivity. NHP needs to return to its roots as a company with employees working towards the common goal instead of focusing on themselves. – less
Great place to work. Great people. Great Benefits.
Program Analyst (Current Employee), Boston, MAOctober 10, 2012
Pros: flex schedule for working.
Cons: for me, the 3 hour commute in and out of boston everyday for the last 8 yrs.
Typical Day: reviewing 100 emails, checking that all nightly jobs ran successfully, handle any lights on issues, most months I have at least 4-6 tasks/jobs being worked at once, each task/job can range from a simple 10hr duration to a multi-month project. Working on highest priority task/jobs first filling in waiting for any questions/answers to high – more... priority task/jobs with lessor priority task/jobs. Attend meetings on status of task/jobs, status on any outstanding issues, code reviews, change control meetings.
What I've learned: I have worked at NHP for 8yrs. I have learned SSIS/SSRS, honed my sql skills, had a few years of code deployment for I.T. department, developed standards for code deployment, been the Crystal Reports Administrator for a few years, developed procedures for code versioning in Visual Sourcesafe. Developed 1000's of jobs/sprocs/views/reports/functions/etc. during my 8 yrs.

Management: My daily routine involves contacting many of the management staff in the business, which employs over 500 people. My interaction is well received and documented with our semi-annual job appraisal system. I have not been in management at NHP, but every other job I've had, I have managed between 2 & 200 people.

Co-workers: This would probably be one of best parts of NHP. The people I work with are the best. We help each other with the work that is being done everyday that we have worked together. We are encouraged to ask questions and to give helpful answers. There are many talented people working at NHP and we graciously 'use' each others assistance anytime we feel it will help make our jobs easier, faster, more up to date or more efficient it it's performance.

Hardest part: easy, although I relish in the fact that I am NEVER out of work with always a plethora of things to do, it can sometimes make me wonder if this method of working is best for the company. A little less work could potentially create an even better outcome with the tasks at hand. It seems like we are always under the gun to get things done as quickly as possible.

Most enjoyable: the benefits and compensation. I have a flex schedule which allows me to go into work by 7:30am coming in from Hudson, NH and be able to leave most days by 3:30pm to beat some of the traffic in and out of Boston. NHP is always offering some special unexpected celebration for the employees. Ice cream outings, summer/winter all day events, discount tickets to movies/ theme parks and tickets to dozens of Boston area special functions. – less
has its good points bt heavy politics and management
staff person (Current Employee), boston, MASeptember 2, 2012
Pros: good pay and benefits, excellent flexibility for life managementn
Cons: corporate, cold, poor comminication, top heavy management
This used to be a wonderful, diverse, culturally sensitive company who valued its members and employees.
Due to huge growth,including acquisition by Partners Health Care poor management who turn deaf ears to the pleas and suggestions of the people who actually do the work,this is not at all the same company I joyfully beseeched friends to come over – more... to, only a few years ago. I now tell the to stay away.
The focus has changed from member satisfaction to saving money and limiting hospital stays. It is top heavy with managers: 2 clinical directors, 3 clinical managers, plus manager of support team, manager of social care. The managers are minimally available as they are in meetings all day and overwhelmed with the needs of their teams the rest of the time. Yet when they are available, at least one finds time to keep up her reputation as a micromanager, which causes workers to feel intimidated and insecure. Complaints have been made about her regularly, yet she recieved a promotion while the ones who complained mysteriously and quickly left the company.
They have implemented new systems with inconsistent training and cling to some old systems that no longer work,. They force the employees to attend in-services on "change" yet except for new systems and focus groups, they refuse to change some functions that have been identified over and over and counterproductive-again, but the actual workers.
A friendly, community focused insurance plan "with a heart" is now nothing more than another entity in the ranks of Big Corp.
The employees were a close kit team who worked well together,m but now there is little to no time for more than a quick hello in passing. Much of the day is spent literally with " nose to the grind stone", no break, no lunch. unpaid overtime. – less
Productive Place to work
VP Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Boston, MAAugust 27, 2012
Pros: my direct report doesn't mirco manage me!
Cons: very little administrative perks!!!!!
A typical day at work means in by 7:45 am enjoying a some early morning heart to heart conversation with my co-workers across the cubicles. Drinking a cup of nicely brewed coffee prepared by a staff memeber..
As I am multi tasking, I am opening up emails and sending correspondence.
The hardest part of my job, is preparing myself to get out of the house – more... in the morning.
The most enjoyable part of my day is communicating with my co-workers whom I have developed relationships with. Out between 4:00-4:15 pm.. Just to catch my 4:30 pm train to be in my car by 4:45 pm. – less

About Neighborhood Health Plan (NHP)

Working Together for the Health of Our Members Our Members, Our Promise Neighborhood Health Plan is unique among Massachusetts – Read more