Neighborhood House Employee Reviews

I worked for my neighbors, baby sitting, nannying and cleaning
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WA and Lakewood, WAFebruary 3, 2017
Consistent care of children, cooking, cleaning and giving them what they needed. I learned self discipline. I learned how to be punctual and showed up on time and never late. I also would put them to bed on time made sure they had a set eating schedule. The management wasn't the best, considering the parents usually didnt keep to a payment schedule or a very consistant time for me to stop working. And the other babysitter and I didnt get along very well. And i had brought it up without any change. The work place environment was quiet chaotic and challenging considering the yelling children. I would say the hardest part of the job would be dealing with angry kid when they needed to go to sleep. However the most enjoyable part of the job in my opinion would be how sweet the children could be. I also loved cleaning and doing the dishes.
Pros
Free meals and drink
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits from it
Nice place with nice people
Helper (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 1, 2016
Working at this place was truly remarkable. I learned more about culture than I ever have. People who come to this food bank, also come from a diverse background. While I was working there I met Arabs, Chinese, Russians, Ukrainians. Most of the customers and staff are very kind.
The place is well manged and a typical day at work is stacking shelves, moving fifty pound boxes, and cleaning the place. Once the place opens, you must lead customers through the place and make sure they get everything they need.
Unfortunately this place is very underfunded and there aren't enough staff. Sometimes you have to work more than usual.
Pros
Free food, nice people, long hours, supportive staff
Cons
Short on funding, unreliable volunteers, customers who can't speak english
Neighborhood House of N. Richmond
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CA 94806January 12, 2017
Work environment is disorganized
Constant changes
Low opportunity to advance
Very low compensation
No benefits
High probability of on the job violence and verbal confrontations with clients
Pros
Easy access location by bus/bart/car
Cons
Very low compensation with regular increase in workload responsiblities
Supporting Neighborhood House's meaning
Business Office Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 16, 2016
Neighborhood House will always have a special place in my heart. The work that goes on there is extraordinary. The programs Neighborhood House provides benefit many of today's youth who deserve a chance at having a life rather than ending up another statistic on the streets. I am very proud to say I started my career at Neighborhood House at a very young age and have continued to grow with the agency. Sadly I have reached my time there and I am ready to continue on a different path.
Pros
Balance of work and home life, also the people I worked with
Excellent place to work
Homeless Case Manager/Turning Point (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 2, 2016
I was able to inclement and developed a new blue print program called Casastart.
Worked in a school with high risk students and their families, using wrap around services. Intensive case management for 20 student and families for at least two years.
Collective ideas
Development Internship (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 20, 2016
Neighborhood House is an organization that believe that one idea is not greater than the other all of those that work,live and come to NH are part of something bigger than the building that is utilized to assist clients with needs it is a beacon of hope for all
Pros
No micro management
Cons
Micro management
Table tennis
As a nanny cared for infants (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 12, 2017
Be honest
Child must apologize
Be respectful and kind to others and yourself
Listen when others are speaking.
Hugs and kisses
Always be nice
Don't say rude words
Clean up your mess
Ask politely
Ask permission to everything
Use the magic words all the time
Nice and fun enviorment to work in
Food server/Dish washer (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MINovember 21, 2016
Always be honest keep a positive attitude get your job done the kids come after school they will keep your day goin and you have to be full of energy make sure your job is done by the end of each work day
Pros
Free lunch open gym
Cons
Nice breaks
Loving Enviroment
Administrative Assistant (volunteer) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 3, 2017
This was a job that I volunteered at while I was in high school. This is where I learned Microsoft Office and learned basic office functions.
fun place with amazing coworker
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 19, 2016
I drive bus rout in the morning for school age kids and then i plan and prep for preschool cooking project I then do cooking project with preschool. i then plan and prep for school age children after I drive the afternoon bus rout and pick up school age children. i then implement daily schedule with school age children. I have learned a lot with planing and everything else. I love my coworkers they are like my family.
Pros
free lunch, free activities, making a difference in young peoples lives
Cons
getting sick alot
great place to work
Coordinator Francis Basket (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNDecember 1, 2016
great place to work f for, I enjoyed getting to know everyone . diversity is value and everyone is tear equal . I love working with them and it is safe and fun
humble place to work
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CANovember 15, 2016
loving environment nice place to work the people are amazing, if you like to help people this is the job for you very flexible and the love children
Productive Fun place to work.
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 8, 2016
Great place to work and very culturally diverse. Worked with mental health clients to achieve better stability towards a more productive lifestyle. Developed goals and target dates. Facilitated groups. Employment development.
Pros
Great work place to see the achievements and facial expressions towards their success.
Cons
Couldn't receive my Class B drivers licences due to my uncontrolled type 1 diabetes.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 22, 2016
A typical day at work was cleaning. Management was good. My co workers was friendly. Meeting new people. I learned how to be more friendlier.
Pros
meeting different people
Cons
short breacks
Community and Connections
Food Support Program Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 19, 2016
Joined a mission to assist people of low resources in the community to ensure that they have access to fresh produce and other nutritional products. Made connections with individuals who have struggled to make a living and was able to help them in their time of need.
Made some difference
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILSeptember 9, 2016
Not the best place to work. HR was too busy being messy instead of doing some work. You have to be a certified brown nose to work there. Child care director was scared of the parents, i would not advise to send children there
Pros
free lunch
Cons
lack of pay
Neighborhood House
Director of Adult Day Services (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 11, 2016
A company who takes pride in giving back to the community to those who are, in-need, low-income and caregivers in need of respite.
neighborhood house is a safe caring environment for individuals who need supervised care during the day.
Pros
free lunches, flexible schedule, no weekend
Cons
lower wages
the end
Asst teacher (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 10, 2016
Some coworkers are not there for you to be friends with. Supervise the children and do what you are supposed to do at work. don't fraternize with supervisors. They are not your friends. The hardest part of the job was dealing with other coworkers. The enjoyable part of the job was watching the children grow.
Great Company to work for
Administrative Assistant for the Director (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 5, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job were the clients. I learned a lot about mental illness and how it affects their lives. Great co-workers.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Fun and loving place to work
Asst. Teacher (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 13, 2013
I loved working at NH. I learned a lot about other cultures. between the families and staff NH has over 100 different spoken languages. The management is great! You could go at anytime and voice your opinion to management and they would listen. I have heard, since I left 3 years ago that almost all of management are new to NH. In my opinion. The best thing about NH is the diversity and the hardest thing is what make this company so unique all the languages. which sometimes makes it hard to communicate.
Pros
diversity, great mangement
Cons
Too much work and not enough hours to complete

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Neighborhood House. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2