Neighborhood Legal Services

Neighborhood Legal Services Employee Reviews

Job Security
IPA/Navigational Paralegal (Current Employee), Batavia, NYFebruary 17, 2014
This is supposed to be a five year contract but work is slowing down
Great services.
Legal Advisor/Interpreter (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 4, 2013
Great management.
Fast paces.
Must be knowledgable in subject matter.
Love the volunteer opportunity
Self Help Legal Access Volunteer (Current Employee), Pomona, CASeptember 19, 2013
Pros: great place to volunteer
The staff is great and welcoming.You will learn how to fill out court forms.Every litigate's case is different regardless of how well you'll learn the forms.Most days are super busy.
great
Legal Assistant Extern (Former Employee), Lancaster, CAMay 9, 2013
It was basically an opportunity for me to help.
Its was a team of legal interns and we assist people with legal forms.
Non-stop rush of citizens with legal needs great companion to my family law class
Paralegal Student Intern (Former Employee), Pomona, CAMarch 12, 2013
I worked in the self help part of the courthouse through a program known as Neighborhood Legal Services. I work on helping people fill out their separation and divorce paperwork and I often had to translate English to Spanish.

Social Work Intern Development of Program
Social Work Intern (Former Employee), New Castle, PAMay 6, 2012
Pros: exposure to the legal system
Cons: not much...
Although I cannot answer several rating questions noted above it is because I was an undergraduate intern. I enjoyed my position tremendously! I developed and ran a program for clients in need of social services, that program being the Comprehensive Assessment Project. I have maintained contact witht the Managing Attorney of several branches of NLSA. I learned a great deal about the legal system and the reason that NLSA is made available for those who cannot afford private counsel. The attorney's with whom I worked were very supportive of the program and very good, well educated lawyers.
Great legal services provided to people in financial need
Staff Attorney (Former Employee), PacoimaNovember 29, 2011
Pros: hours, benefits
Cons: poorly managed, disorganized, tolerance 4 inept employees, located in a gang-infested neighborhood
More management then staff, poorly organized, mismanagement of units; lots of cliques, very much like high school; productivity is low; many cases are overlooked; high volume and no attention to detail; numbers matter, not the people. Employees are overworked and if you complain, you are in line for a demotion or transfer; they have no clear/defined human resource policies (they make them up as they go) depending on who it is they are dealing with, and if you are not a "brown-noser" or a "yes man/woman" you will not last there very long. Equipment such as computer/desk, etc. is very outdated; software outdated; management favors certain employees of a particular ethnicity or employees who are friends with that particular ethnicity or culture. Management listens and entertains gossip from low-level employees and rather than investigate matters objectively (after all, they are attorneys and are supposed to be objective), they believe the "made up stories" and do not give the accused the benefit of the doubt. Much of their "assistance" is promoted to obtain financial grants-it's all politics. Heavy case loads for attorneys...very high turnover rate with employees; In a nine month span in 2005-2006 I saw 19 employees leave. If you are able, volunteer there before you apply for a job; hiring process takes forever! I had to wait 9 months before they finally hired me.