Nelnet Employee Reviews

Great
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 21, 2016
Most places that are call centers aren't very nice to those who work there. Nelnet has the most accepting people around and are always willing to help.
fun place to work
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 17, 2016
variety of families and cultures.
other programs to support childcare
management was pretty flexible with your schedules
overall pretty good place to work for
Pros
variety of people and families and good co workers
There were many hard working employees that I had the pleasure of working with at Nelnet
claims (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJanuary 12, 2016
The dynamic changed at Nelnet within the last four to five years. I learned many great skills there but some of the most beneficial perks such as flex schedules, bonuses, work/life balance and work environment had drastically changed. It was no longer a good fit for me personally.
Fun, fulfilling job
CPC Manual Operator (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 3, 2016
This is a laid back, comfortable job. You're going to have to be competitive. The supervisors and managers keep the experience fun. Entertaining staff and co-workers.
Cons
Parking
Was a nice place to work
Guarantor (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 25, 2015
I really enjoyed working at Nelnet. I learned a lot there. Being that there was no more opportunity for advancement I left. I had a great supervisor.
Great Place to Work
Enrollment Processor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 7, 2015
I learned how student loans work, management was good. The best part of the job was the incentives after meeting requirements for monthly ratings on performance. My co-workers were very hard workers.
Pros
Company Kitchen
Cons
Example: Short breaks, healthcare, etc.Poor communication from upper management
The most enjoyable part of my past jobs
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 20, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the jobs I have had is the past is the fact that I get to talk to different people of different backgrounds in different languages (Since I am bilingual- French/English).
Tedious
Representative (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CONovember 4, 2015
Lack of communication between supervisors, employees and departments. Supervisors have no understanding of their employees daily functions and set rules and guidelines but do not enforce company policies.
Enjoyed the people
Call Center/Student Loan Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 30, 2015
Long hours in front of computer. Had to pay for parking & parking garages were never close. But management & co-workers were pleasant.
degree
student (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 24, 2015
simply attended Arizona State University for educational purposes does not pertain to work history. Great school, good program lovely city and place to live.
Great culture
Took inbound calls assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 20, 2015
provided assistance with getting started with their FAFSA in effort to obtain a student loan. Excellent managers to work with and for as well as a fun atmosphere with your co-workers.
Pros
You never felt like a temp employee
Cons
Lacked job security
fun
Advisor 1 (Current Employee) –  omaha neOctober 8, 2015
walk into work, get equipment, go to manger to get task, trade out with someone, and walk my area while watching water. at the end of the shift get the cleaning supplies and clean
Goal oriented company
advisor I (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 28, 2015
Very busy, I learned how student loans work, management was ok I think it could have been better. My co-workers were very good people/hard workers. The hard part of the job was the job it was a consuming position. The best part of the job was the incentives after meeting requirements for monthly ratings on performance.
Pros
gift cards
Cons
stress levels
You're just another tooth on the cogs of the machine there
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 25, 2015
It's just all about the numbers, and getting you to work as hard as they can for inadequate pay.

They give lip service to helping you "develop your career" but nothing ever comes of it.
Pros
Is downtown Lincoln.
Cons
Management doesn't care about you at all, you're just more meat for the grinder.
Wouldn't have anyone work in call center
Customer Service/Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 15, 2015
Any of the call centers in Nelnet is a horrible job. Everyone one in those positions are trying to move over to other departments.
Pros
Located downtown
Cons
Insurance is available but expensive
Great place to work.
Home Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 5, 2015
Nelnet is a great place to work. They have good pay and great benefits. The management and leadership are very nice and understanding. The work place is relaxed and everyone gets along.
Not for those who cannot handle stress
Representative II, Enrollment Processing (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 3, 2015
Great company ran by good people. Unfortunately the place is changing and has become a very high stress job. Still a great company that takes great care of their employees.
Pros
Great CEO, great leadership
Cons
Fear tactic form of motivation
Just the worst
Service and Repayment Representative (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 2, 2015
I am extremely surprised to see any positive reviews for Nelnet. Being familiar with their business practices, I don't think I'm going out on a limb wondering if some of these reviews are as fake as Nelnet's concern for the well being of the borrowers they serve or workers they employ.
The managers and team leads are all twenty and early thirty something's who, in most cases, have no prior experience managing anything. Management is my number one complaint about the work here. They stand around at their desks talking to each other about fantasy football or any number of topics completely unrelated to work. They are not held to the same standards as the employees they manage. They recite and regurgitate information passed down from their supervisors. My location in Omaha is filled with ineffectual middle managers who spend most of their days surfing the Internet, wandering around talking to other managers or taking 4 hours to make a single spreadsheet in Excel. One example of the visionary leadership in practice: the management team developed a contest for people on the phones wherein the winner would get to throw a pie at a team lead's face. Hilarious, right? Not only was this an asinine and poorly executed attempt to motivate employees to take more calls, but it simply served as a bro-y excuse for management to go outside, leaving the call center floor free of supervisors for twenty minutes at a time so they could laugh and high five each other when one of them got a pie thrown in their face. All of that is true. That is the type of workplace you're involved in at this company.
  more... It's absurd, right?
Employees are constantly outside smoking. I enjoy most of my co workers but I'm not exaggerating when I say that I can't recall a single positive break time conversation with another employee regarding the business processes and practices of this company. It's a negative and stressful work environment. Common complaints are about the constant need for MANDATORY overtime, constant, high turn over (a group of 30 people will be hired and I'm telling you, we will be lucky to hang on to ten of them for more than two months, hence the constant need for mandatory OT), terrible communication, convoluted training, poor workplace accommodations and uncaring, unchecked management.
I stick with it because I'm in school and need something to pay the bills right now but I'm constantly looking for something else. I'm good at my job. I go into work and put on a happy face to get through the day. However, I don't feel secure. The other reviews are true. If you want to use the restroom you have to use break time from your alotted two fifteens. So if it takes you five minutes to run from your desk to the restroom, congrats, that counted as a break. And since we're on the subject of sh@!, I'd like to mention that the cleanliness of the restrooms vary between "just gross" to "that toilet has been out of order, stinking and stained with (you get it) for a month and no one has fixed it". Most people don't feel secure. I'm fascinated by it because for a company that needs bodies taking calls they have fired people, genuinely good workers, for very minor infractions.
It takes a thick skin to do this job. I've had people threaten me, cry, beg and bargain and ask me point blank if I feel good doing my job or if I think it's fair. I never answer. I sit in silence thinking, "you're right, student loans are a predatory web and maze of misinformation, confusion and the company I work for does nothing to make it easier." My personal beliefs aside, I do try to help people but there is only so much you can explain over the phone and there is always the knowledge that as soon as a borrower understands one aspect of their loans, Nelnet or the dept of ed will implement a new and even more confounding process.
This is a go nowhere, do nothing job. It is boring and easy and if it weren't for the terrible management, inane business processes and constantly shifting expectations it wouldn't be a bad place to work. If you need something for the short term, if you have a thick skin, if you can handle the swagger of a young manager getting his first taste of power, if you don't mind having your bathroom breaks timed, if you can face the reality that you are, in essence, perpetuating a broken and dishonest cycle of debt to help a company that does not care about you make more money off the poor and the misinformed, this is a great place to work.
Pros
If you run out of smokes, chances are the person next to you will have one to bum
Cons
See everything in long form review
Fast paced phone work
Assisant Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEAugust 26, 2015
Phone work answering questions about Nelnet tuition payments. The job deals with various clients needs and experiences and the necessary tome frame of enrollmet in the program.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Quality Assurance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAAugust 21, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was coaching the staff on sales calls in order to give the customer a positive experience with Nelnet.