Nelnet Employee Reviews

Competitive workplace, that can be fun and stressful
Firstmark/HomeAdvisor Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 5, 2017
This really depends on the department you work in and if it is the busy or slow season. In a typical day I take around 70 phone calls on average they last about 4 minutes each. You are graded on a score card system with multiple points that affect it. These points are adjusted randomly for how much they weigh or the criteria. You can be let go if your score card is not up to par however. Management is friendly, they like to promote within the company as well, this can lead to a more understanding boss or a boss with little leadership skills. the workplace culture is generally warm and friendly and you can make lots of friends. The hardest part of the job is the repetition or escalated phone calls. The most enjoyable part of the job is the benefits the company offers.
Pros
Vacation, health insurance, win prizes, food days, above average pay
Cons
High stress environment, repetition, can be hard to work around sick days
Good work, but not the best for advancement
Web Chat/Email Advisor (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 7, 2017
A typical day at work for me was coming in and assisting web chatters, 3 at a time, about their student loans throughout the day, or working emails for correspondence.
I learned quite a bit about how student loans, the industry, and the government aspect all work. I feel confident in managing my own loans thanks to that experience.
Management left a lot to be desired. Supervisors were not hands-on or really, that involved in our day-to-day work. It was always up to us to research on our own, which was fine, but communication could use improvement.
The culture is a lot of good people, and friends, who support each other, but aside from that, and the contests where people could win prizes based on performance, it was not the best morale wise.
It was almost impossible to move up, and personal favoritism was something that was exhibited.
The hardest part of the job was the busier hours, and difficult borrowers, but it was also the most challenging. Those are the ones you feel glad you helped.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the employees. I made a lot of good friends there, and they made things a little bit better.
Pros
Health care, prizes, helping people
Cons
Communication, leadership lacking in certain aspects, advancement
Total and Permanent Disability Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 29, 2016
great benefits, good environment, great people to work with, encouraging management to do your best, management always willing to help, open door policy, changes to advance up in the company, great pay, great hours. the hardest part is talking to difficult customers, but with training you can handle it. I love the people I work with. when there aren't that many calls one day we talk and joke. it's a big company but a good place to work.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
short breaks.
It's a stressful workplace
Debt Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 16, 2017
Nelnet is a hostile work environment if your position is in the call center. Management and Supervisors offer no support to their teams, and micromanage their employees to the point of complete burn out. Fast food is more ideal than Nelnet. The culture is bigoted and HR gaslights any disgruntled employee
productive and stable work place
Advisor 1 (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 30, 2016
Nelnet was a great place to work at. it was my first call center job and was a great experience. i had wonderful full time benefits as well as 5 hours of paid time off every pay period. i work 4 days a week 10 hours a day with a set schedule and definite hours a week to have a full pay check. each week we had team meetings to discuss our weekly performance and always had talks on how to make every call a better call.we also had frequent break times to recoup from a bad call. we had group chats were people were able to get help immediately from a team member instead of having to call for help.
Very pleasant place to work. Loved my management team and my co-workers. Everyone was very willing to come together as a team and help one another
DMC Collector (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CONovember 23, 2016
I was a collections rep at Nelnet. The day consisted of taking in and outbound calls to consumers whom were past due on their student loans and make every attempt to bring those accounts current before they went into default. Hardest part about the job was sometimes just getting people on and to stay on the phone. The most enjoyable was my management team, coworkers and the whole work environment.
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 20, 2017
Been at nelnet for 4 months almost 5. At the beginning learning this type of work was extremely stressful but as time is going I am learning something new every shift. I'm getting used to the type of calls mainly because most calls are repetitive. Leadership is very helpful answer questions when they are available . Good benefits and time off. Good place to work so far!
Pros
benefits, time off, leadership
Cons
training
Fantastic environment and benefits
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 26, 2016
Nelnet was a great job when it comes to benefits, support, and teamwork. I enjoyed working there as a CSR (Customer Service Representative). I had full-time hours, off-street parking, supportive coworkers, and FANTASTIC benefits and pay.
Pros
Great pay, Health benefits, Overtime, Friendly workplace
Cons
Some irritable customers
It was a good learning experience but doesn't pay enough for as much work as required
Customer Service/Student Loan Advisor (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJune 15, 2016
It was a company that constantly made changes but didn't pay the employees enough. The company itself wasn't bad the upper management was good but the job is stressful and they didn't pay the employee's enough to live on for the stress the had to work under.
Pros
it was a government contracted job so good 401k
Cons
More work for less pay
Worst job for the best pay and benefits.
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 13, 2017
The management is a joke. I loved the paycheck but did not enjoy the work or the people I worked for. The work was very hard and frustrating, as an outbound employee I was constantly screamed at.
Claim Processing Review
Claims Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 17, 2016
- Reviewing applications and required documentation to complete Teach Loan Forgiveness, Total Permanent Disability, and Loan Forgiveness depending on the term of service provided on qualified positions held.
- I learned how to move up within a company. I started working as a Customer Service Representative, Moved to a supervisor position within the call center, then moved to Claim Filing with loan forgiveness. I learned how to be responsible and loyal to a company.
- Helping upset customers over the phone who are frustrated with thousands of dollars of debt proved to be challenging at the start but was quickly mastered.
- The most enjoyable part of this job was the responsibility given to us to help borrowers the best we could given company regulations.
Pros
Responsiblity, Close places to have lunch
Cons
The company moved to Lincoln, NE.
Somewhat rigid call center environment.
Advisor I (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COApril 6, 2016
A typical day at the job would consist of being ready, meaning set up and ready to go on the phones at the start of your shift. Calls pertaining to student loans and their statuses (and questions thereof) are ongoing for the whole day, minus 2 15 minute breaks (one in the morning and one in the afternoon) and a one hour lunch. Management was very solid and willing to help with any and every question that a new hire could have, very supportive. The hardest part of the job is usually the road blocks that customers can put up due to their own frustrations or lack of knowledge about student loans or both. This leads to the most satisfying part of the job, which is showing a person who believed or thought that their student loan debt was unmanageable, that there are various ways that we could reduce the financial burden on them in a lot of cases and provide a solution to a very stressful problem in people's lives.
Pros
Benefits, wages, casual atmosphere, co-worker willing to help you, helping people in an impactful way
Cons
Rigid guidelines for productivity (to be expected in a call center)
Productive and fun workplace
Enrollment Processor Representative II (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 13, 2017
Sensational environment, Opportunities of improve your career, tons of courses and preparations. Good quality of work.
Pros
Free lunches
Decent Pay but that is all
Chat advisor (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJanuary 6, 2017
Horrible leadership team. do not support staff in anyway at all. allowed to fail. do not have a family type of culture do not care about the lives of their associates
Good Company
Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 18, 2016
This is a good company to work for. Job Security is great, they could do better with benefits. Being downtown Lincoln area is great, many places to go for lunch.
Pros
Flex Schedule
Cons
No much OT
Not worth the stress!
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CONovember 19, 2016
Unprofessional and extremely rude leadership, I must admit my last employer stated we had it easy and now I know what he meant, unfortunately my position was outsourced after working there for so many years. People if you’re currently on a job that’s treating somewhat decent I advise you to stay because companies today are only concern about numbers and money and will let you go in a blink of an eye.
Pros
Free caramel coffee keurig pods
Cons
Stressful environment
Great job
Records Generalist (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 15, 2016
First cooperate job and deff love their employees and are willing to assist anyway they can, they provide a lot of perks and incentives. Management is wonderful
Pros
bonuses, great growth
Cons
hours
Fun workplace with enjoyable people.
Enrollment Processor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 3, 2017
Nelnet is a great place to work at! The environment is friendly and the bosses and trainers are great. Once in a while we have food days and I love that because everyone bring their own dish. It is a wonderful place.
Pros
Make your own hours
Cons
can't work during the day, only get 20 hours a week since im a temp.
Currently downsizing due to expected reduced profits
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COApril 25, 2016
The people are great to work with and the management is having to make tough decisions for this next year resulting in the layoff of myself and many others.

One must manage work / life balance as the company will take any and all time that a person allows.

There are always changes to work and implement so there is no lack of work to do. Agile Methodology has been adopted and implemented. The implementation lacks some of the documentation aspects that has been seen in previous SDLC methodologies and is a concern.
Great Experience
Loan Advisor/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 27, 2016
This job gave me so much experience in life and customer service. Some of my former co-workers are still great friends today. Changes in policy and the lost of monthly bonuses led to me leaving this company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nelnet. Our community is ready to answer.