Neogen Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

An excruciating experience
Production Tech (Former Employee) –  LansingMay 20, 2016
Unaccomodating and rife with nepotism when it comes to the work force. Conservative-leaning anti-intellectuals given precedence. I have attention deficit and when I asked HR to make simple accommodations I was ignored and left to just deal with it.

Must stick around for years to get proper pay, creating a complacent group of "lifetimers" and a team of expendable young people. Very disappointing. (And no wifi for anyone!).

Unless you're ready to sign your life over to Neogen, work anywhere else.
Pros
Spanish and Arabic people to talk to
Cons
Complacent, stale corporate culture
Good admin asst/customer service experience
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 8, 2016
Too much office information regarding a female employee and one of the owners. He being married, the female employee was not...
I would rather not go into details on the internet.
However, I did like them both but didn't want to be caught up in their
"business".
Pros
Work hours and salary
Cons
Things were starting to get out of hand between the owner & female employee
Bad company atmosphere and attitudes
Corporate Writer (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 2, 2015
Working for the company for less than six months perhaps shows best what kind of a place it is to work for.

I was asked to accept the job on the spot, and was reprimanded for asking for 24-hours to think over the offer's compensation and incentives (side note: they will not tell you anything about the benefits package ahead of time -- which, frankly, isn't all that great anyway). I was told I should've been grateful for what was given to me and that I needn't have applied if I wanted to ask so many questions.

That should've given me my first clue that this wasn't the place for me. Having to report to multiple managers (the hierarchy of which was never fully explained), and being told that I should only do things the way my predecessor did and that any suggestions otherwise were "stupid" and "useless" and "not what we do around here," were just a few of the additional problems.

Even when I asked two of my superiors for help with the situation -- I was told that my predecessor wouldn't have been unhappy about it and I needed to reevaluate how I acted.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of voice and respect I had, and how others in entirely different departments had some say in the functions of my job.

All of this and more caused me to begin looking for a new job about two months after starting.
Pros
casual fridays, free parking
Company with Continuous Growth
Digital Media Content Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 19, 2015
Neogen has been growing, and is still growing, in the field of Life and Animal Sciences. The company has so much potential to do big things, and it also has so much growth potential for those within the company--you just have to work to find it.
Sales Based
QA/QC Technician II (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 28, 2015
Neogen is a sales-based company and has no respect for the lab workers. This is fine if you are looking for a sales job, but the lab technicians are viewed as dispensable. The upper management is constantly saying how well the company is doing and how much money they have in the bank, but in the next sentence says that no raises are available because of the bad economy. This place is the reason I decided to put my career on hold and return to school for a different degree. It is that bad.
Fact Paced and Growing Company with room for advancement
Distributor Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 16, 2015
The great thing about my job is that there no day that is the same! There are lots of moving parts within my account and tons of opportunities. I enjoy working with my manager and that is why I came back to this company after a few years away.
Pros
ability to travel, great co-workers, great benefits
Cons
required to be in the office when not traveling
A rapidly growing company
Technical Services Associate Microbiologist (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 13, 2014
With my two positions Neogen, I have learned a vast amount regarding the food industry and food safety testing. I enjoy the constant-learning environment and my co-workers are great! As with any other job, there are aspects of management that I am no fond of, but nothing that would cause me to hate my job. Unfortunately salary is a little low and HR is a bit of a stickler when it comes to PTO, but most managers help you work around any major issues. Being in microbiology, there is the occasional experiment where unusual hours are required to finish a project. My job search is mainly due to the hour drive I have made every morning and every evening for the last year and a half.
Pros
fun work environment, fast pace, rapidly growing company
Cons
salaries are slightly lower than the rest of the industry
A strong company with a family atmosphere
Manufacturing Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MINovember 19, 2014
There are a lot of good things to talk about during the time I've worked for Neogen Corporation. Many people point to the close knit group of people that give their all each and every day to make a small company a leader in the global food and animal safety market. I've grown and learned a great deal of information and skills that I will be able to carry on to future opportunities.
Good for experience
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIOctober 29, 2014
very investor oriented, pay is miniscule compared to other companies of the same size and region, benefits are barely acceptable, good for about a year of experience but opportunity for advancement is nonexistent. Learn what you can then move on
Pros
quickly build relationship with coworkers
Cons
pay is way below average
Corporation that highly values their employees.
Accounts Receivable Clerk/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 15, 2014
Most days at Neogen were very "typical". In at 8:30 and out at 5:30, spending most of the day involved in the clerical aspects of trying to collect on past due accounts.

However, even though I don't normally enjoy a job where I can't interact physically with the public, I learned that your job is what you make it. I was thankful everyday to work with fantastic people and was given affirmation regularly by my supervisors. It was very hard for me to spend my days in a cubical but, I felt appreciated by my employer and that helped balance things out.

Although Neogen operates within a strict corporate structure, they go out of their way to make you feel like part of the family. Corporate events almost always include not only your spouse but, children as well. My salary was nothing to brag about but, my benefits package and vacation time were to be envied.

All in all, they are a great company that I would recommend to anyone looking for employment.
Pros
stable growing company, excellent benefits package, employee appreciation
Cons
low salary and inability to advance in most departments due to employee retention
Insightful work environment.
Immunodiagnostics research technician (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 21, 2013
Typical day: Paperwork, experiment design, experiment conduction, review of data.

What I learned: Honed in many scientific procedures, theories, and practices

Management: Occasional disconnect and miscommunications with various departments

Co-workers: Helpful, professional, highly-skilled

Hardest part: applying data and theory into experimental procedures;

Most enjoyable: Learning/improving scientific skills, critical thinking
Pros
good work environment, supportive team
Cons
pay, upper management
research scientist
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 10, 2013
Not a good company to work for. Low salary and low moral at company.
Good for some experience but always be looking to get out!!
sales (Current Employee) –  LexingtonApril 5, 2013
This company only cares about its investors. It is still a small company but the employees are only a number. The only reason to work here is to get a little experience in sales or whatever your career choice and then run. There is practically no room for advancement and the compensation for the work is laughable! You will travel more than they tell you in the beginning. Most of the management is only there because they stuck it out and had more time in than someone else that was probably more qualified.
Pros
good non management coworkers
Cons
$30 copays, travel more than advertised, management has no training and gives no training, low pay, practically no room for advancement within the company.
Internship
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 4, 2013
Company helped advance my accounting skills and knowledge while in undergraduate.
Organized and Productive
Production Chemist (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 20, 2013
-My position at Neogen is in the lateral flow laboratory formulating chemical reagents out of stock chemicals, testing products and kits before they are approved to be sold, and assisting others in the laboratory when their workload becomes too heavy.

-This position has allowed me to master my general chemistry skills and learn how to perform and multitask well under strict deadlines.

-My co-workers are all very kind and helpfull

-The management was very productive and hands on.

-The hardest part of my job was learning all the different protocols for several peoples positions in order to be a "floater"

-The most enjoyable part of my job is getting the products to pass and everyone involved in the process gets to feel good that they made their product correctly
Pros
co-workers of all ages, getting payed weekly, stable schedule
Cons
it takes a while to get hired into the company and get benefits
very productive
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 10, 2012
My work in the laboratory was very monotonous. no opportunity to grow intellectually or financially. The coworkers were excellent and we had a great relationship that lasts until today. The worst part was the salary. The best part interact with a good co- workers team responsible and efficient.
Pros
n/a
Cons
healthcare
improving, but still needs work
R&D Manager (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 23, 2012
no advancement or career development; resistance to governance such as OSHA and ISO; benefits acceptable; pay is below average; high value placed on investor value only; changing slowly and by employees working to improve.
Pros
nice coworkers, focused on doing a good job, adaptable workforce.
Cons
high focus on investor value, need to focus on employee development, opportunities within company, competitive pay needed