The Role and the Candidate
Netbiscuits seeks a PHP developer with experience with WordPress themes and the WordPress API to build WordPress themes that output Netbiscuits proprietary XML documents for transcoding by the Netbiscuits platform into mobile web sites.
Candidates will be required to work closely with Netbiscuits staff to implement and document themes in PHP. Implementing a theme will require wrapping or otherwise modifying the output of the WordPress API, and replacing all HTML output of the theme with XML.
Candidates are expected to be capable of completing coding tasks autonomously as this role would not be part of a development team.
Candidates are not expected to have prior knowledge of the Netbiscuits platform or BiscuitML markup language, however this would be advantageous.
Your Tasks and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be responsible for the creation and maintenance of themes in WordPress which output Netbiscuits proprietary BiscuitML and Tactile XML markup instead of regular HTML.
- Creation of one or more WordPress themes
- Creation of wrapper classes around WordPress API functions to support access to the WordPress blog through a transcoding proxy
- Creation (or modification of) a WordPress theme switcher to serve a regular HTML theme in some circumstances and a Netbiscuits XML theme in others
- Documentation (code comments and formal documentation) of your work
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Expertise
- Proficiency with PHP 5
- Experience with WordPress themes and API is an absolute must – candidates should be able to demonstrate previous experience here
- Expertise with setting up and managing LAMP stack servers
- Thorough understanding of MySQL databases is desirable
- Experience with Netbiscuits BiscuitML is desirable, but not required. Successful candidates will receive on the job training on the usage of BiscuitML to achieve the objectives
- Comfortable programming from scratch. Not dependent on frameworks
- Solid understanding of common security practices including XSS and preventing SQL injections
- Previous experience with modern software development tools such as issue tracking systems, Integrated Development Environments, distributed source control and unit testing
- Experience in Agile environments is a plus