New Directions Employee Reviews in United States

it's rewarding work
youth careworker (Former Employee) –  Junction City, KSMay 1, 2016
I manage youth, and design programs as a coordinator, and I was
supervisor of staff. It was a civil environment most of the time with
managing staff, the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with youth...Providing supervision to staff and supports to residents in program. Communicate and interact with other clinical professionals to develop and Implement plans. Teach daily living skills and provide direct personal care to residents. Plan and implement diverse and appropriate resident directed recreational activities
Pros
learn patience
Cons
being on same page with staff
Good working environment, more supervision is needed
Day Support (Former Employee) –  Whiteville, NCMay 29, 2016
More control of employee is needed in this company. Hard to get in touch with supervisor. The hardest was finding a supervisor to assess information when needed
Wrong employer
wrong employer (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 3, 2016
I do not work for this company and am trying to figure out how to delete my review. Need more words, hopefully this will be enough.
Great place to work and advance in your career
Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pepper Pike, OhioMay 17, 2015
I have had the opportunity to work with great counselors. I have more knowledge of clients with addictions. Management is friendly and always willing to assist me when in need of direction. My co-workers are very nice and the majority of us work great together. The hardest part of the job for me is making the long roundtrip drive. I love working with the clients, I love knowing I make a difference is someone's life. I enjoy helping clients achieve their goal of sobriety.
Pros
Long drive
Cons
Love working withthe clients
Good Place
Landscaper Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MASeptember 1, 2015
I enjoyed it!!! They were very nice to work with. The individuals at the New Directions were welcoming and helpful upon my arrival. The gave good direction and guidance to me.
Learning, busy and interesting environment
Resources for Human Development (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 24, 2015
caring for children, learned to care for children, management was poor, coworkers nice, hardest part was the long schedules/had to do massive overtime to get a decent paycheck, most enjoyable was helping the children
Pros
helping children
Cons
very very low salary
Overall a great experience
Director of Care Coordination (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTJanuary 19, 2016
I started working at New Directions in 2012 and I am ending a chapter in my life by leaving New Directions in 2016. A lot has changed from the few years I have been here. Things change constantly, communication is okay except you are split between three different suites in a building so it can get challenging sometimes. The people you work with are great people, they are caring and friendly unless you get on their bad side. A typical day at work could mean anything. There are days where it is very slow, and other days where it is insanely busy. I learned a lot working here though, in the mental health and substance abuse field. The clients that we deal with on a daily basis are great people. You learn a lot about the different types of mental health diseases and disorders and substance abuse dependency. Each department is in their own suite. The main suite is 204 and that has the front desk staff, DUI department and Clinicians. Then there is a care coordination suite which is suite 103 which just has the care coordinators and their supervisor. Suite 101 is the billing department as well as where the CEO and CFO have their offices. The hardest part of the job I would say is communication. If the three suites were to be combined into one very large building or suite it would be much more efficient and the workflow of the agency would improve a lot. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the friends you make while working here. Overall the job was a great experience and I am sad I am leaving.
Pros
1 hour break, paid time off, paid holidays
Cons
Health insurance
Great Atmosphere to work in.
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INNovember 6, 2012
My job was to make sure that the inpatient facililty was always full and making sure that the clients always had options. I learned that everyone is human and they all deserve a second chance. I was management of the admissions sections of the inpatient and out patient programs. The hardest part of the job was to see when clients failed at teh program and were sent back to jail. I didnt have co-workers there, I had family. Even the clients were like my brothers.
Pros
teamwork, standing by eachothers side.
Cons
closeing it down
A day in the life of a CNA
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, MNOctober 28, 2012
Working at Good Samaritan was a wonderful experience. It allowed me to help others and give to them what they had needed throughout their day. I was able to assist in feeding, bathing, ADL's and other needs. These residents were very caring and thankful for the care that they were given. I learned that it is important to connect with the people you are helping or taking care of and give them the best care you can.
Contract Position with HITSG
Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNMay 7, 2012
Basic day on the job was answering phone calls and analyzing how we were going to use Salesforce and report in it. Worked with co-workers to get issues resolved within the application. Co-workers were easy to get along with. The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job were the same thing, figuring out the issues.
Pros
small family environment.
Cons
lack of communication from management.
My supervisor was excellent!
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 19, 2012
I would work with children for several hours a week. I would write weekly progress notes. The management was caring and understanding. Co-workers were nice, but did not have much contact with them. This job required a lot of driving. It was most enjoyable to see the children's progress, and it was also great to hear how excited they were for our time together.
Pros
create your own hours
Importance in helpihg veterans
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 31, 2014
Work atmosphere was relaxing, paid trainings, a full comprehensive program with in itself. provide all and every need that resident needed to help resident clear Legal issues, job training and seeking employment, and helping with housing.
Pros
all residents needs are provided, cloting, shoes, bus fare
Cons
at times work load is over whelming
na
Direct Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNMay 5, 2014
Providing supervision to staff and supports to residents in program
Teach daily living skills and provide direct personal care to residents
sister makes it hard to care for employer because she harasses the employer staff. not a pleasant place when employer sister is around.
support staff (Former Employee) –  severn,mdMarch 26, 2014
no room for advancement. Turn over rate very high. Needs staff appreciation, shift deferential pay.
Pros
can go out with client/employer
Cons
sister, no benefits, staff turn over rate very high, no staff coverage
Productive, adult-like workplace
Clerk/Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAOctober 27, 2013
A typical day at work for me with New Directions is going in to the assigned designation of workplace by New Directions' management. For me, it was City Hall working in the department of buildings in Downtown New Bedford, MA. I walk in report to the manager and sign in. I'd sit at my desk, and start to filing important paper work into envelopes and correctly label the envelopes. This could take days. Once those were completed, I'd file all envelopes in alphabetical order in the correct station. I learned organizational skills, flexibility, and responsibility. The management was very fair and considerate. My co-workers were excellent to work with. The hardest part of the job was trying not to get distracted because of the long process of filing. The most enjoyable part of the job was the treatment of the co-workers.
Pros
fair treatment, sufficed lunch breaks
Cons
lack of movement
Good place to work were everyone knows your name
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIOctober 18, 2013
Working with these teenagers is a wonderful experience. They always want you to love them and listen. They want to be good, its just that they don't really know how, so every once in a while they need help managing their anger.
Pros
lots of new experiences
Cons
mandations, overtime
Great company with a great vision
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 14, 2014
Warm environment with a personable staff. Great New Director!!!
They are one of the only reputable outpatient clinics in the area. They have mostly licensed staff and they have a very diverse population.
Pros
friendly personnel
Disappointing
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MissouriNovember 13, 2012
Never met with the director the whole time i was employed. she allowed other employes to train me. i was trained incorrectly and then was fired for it. employees have zero job security. there is no inner office support.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no support

Comment – March 8, 2013

The exact same thing happened to me...you could be telling my story

Compassionate, therapeutic environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  West Los AngelesOctober 2, 2012
It was a good learning experience. Typically, I would review previous sessions notes and then meet with clients for therapy or counseling,. I learned a lot about veterans of the military and their culture. Management was good but the main manager left her position and most of the work was left for the manager above her thus giving her an increased work load.

My co-workers were extremely, kind, supportive, good teachers, and people that made the residents and interns happy. The hardest part of the job was learning that a client had an episode over the week-end and was in the hospital or jail. The most enjoyable part of the job was working and developing relationships with the clients while setting appropriate boundaries.

Unfortunately, there was no compensation or benefits and no job security due to intern status.
Pros
lunches were cheap in the cafeteria, attire was informal on fridays
Cons
no compensation or benefits, no mileage reinbursement for time spent driving from my house to work.
Job Placement/Counseling
Career Transition Specialist/Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Ashland City, TNJuly 29, 2014
Duties included, recruiting,

Developed business relationships and job sites for students with special needs;

job training; conducting mock interviews