New Directions

New Directions Employer Reviews

Great company
Customer service (Former Employee), Oskaloosa, IAMarch 28, 2014
Learned a lot about mental health and enjoyed the team atmosphere.
sister makes it hard to care for employer because she harasses the employer staff. not a pleasant place when employer sister is around.
support staff (Former Employee), severn,mdMarch 26, 2014
Pros: can go out with client/employer
Cons: sister, no benefits, staff turn over rate very high, no staff coverage
no room for advancement. Turn over rate very high. Needs staff appreciation, shift deferential pay.
Importance in helpihg veterans
Supervisor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: all residents needs are provided, cloting, shoes, bus fare
Cons: at times work load is over whelming
Work atmosphere was relaxing, paid trainings, a full comprehensive program with in itself. provide all and every need that resident needed to help resident clear Legal issues, job training and seeking employment, and helping with housing.
Recovery-oriented workplace with ping pong table, bag toss and meals provided
Chemical Dependency Technician (Current Employee), Johnstown, PAJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: free meals, great co-workers, recovery meetings, relationship building moments.
Cons: pay is lower than desired, travel is too much for the amount of pay, clients are hard to handle at times, understaffing can be a problem at times.
A typical day at work sees me counting and dispersing medications 2 times daily, running a recovery oriented group at night, going to in house or in town recovery meetings, writing progress notes and calling in medication for clients to the local pharmacy.

My co-workers are primarily in recovery themselves, however some of them are not and neither – more... is management. We do all get along quite well and understand the nature of addiction and this particular population in and of itself. Management is fair and listens to our requests and grievances with an open mind. My co-workers treat one another with respect and help out whenever they can.

The hardes part of the job is not seeing guys succeed. I wish the pay was more for the amount of time I invest in the job and for all intents and purposes it should be. I do get a great deal of gratitude and satisfaction from seeing guys succeed and maintain their recovery after they leave our halfway home environment. I love to teach and run groups on recovery management and look to become an instructor someday soon. – less
A great concept, but not very well practiced
Supervisor (Former Employee), Eureka, CADecember 9, 2013
What started as a great idea turned out to be one man's money tree
Business Plan
Entrepreneur (Former Employee), New Bedford, MANovember 6, 2013
Pros: got educated
Cons: summer job
I was giving knowledge on how to create a business plan and marketing materials.
No opportunity for growth. No benefit package.
Support Staff (Current Employee), Severn,MDNovember 5, 2013
I've worked for the company for the last nine months. I am grateful for the opportunity,however, it hasn't been an enjoyable experience.
Productive, adult-like workplace
Clerk/Assistant (Former Employee), New Bedford, MAOctober 27, 2013
Pros: fair treatment, sufficed lunch breaks
Cons: lack of movement
A typical day at work for me with New Directions is going in to the assigned designation of workplace by New Directions' management. For me, it was City Hall working in the department of buildings in Downtown New Bedford, MA. I walk in report to the manager and sign in. I'd sit at my desk, and start to filing important paper work into envelopes and – more... correctly label the envelopes. This could take days. Once those were completed, I'd file all envelopes in alphabetical order in the correct station. I learned organizational skills, flexibility, and responsibility. The management was very fair and considerate. My co-workers were excellent to work with. The hardest part of the job was trying not to get distracted because of the long process of filing. The most enjoyable part of the job was the treatment of the co-workers. – less
Good place to work were everyone knows your name
Youth Specialist (Current Employee), Farmington Hills, MIOctober 18, 2013
Pros: lots of new experiences
Cons: mandations, overtime
Working with these teenagers is a wonderful experience. They always want you to love them and listen. They want to be good, its just that they don't really know how, so every once in a while they need help managing their anger.
okay
Event Coordinator (Former Employee), Barre, VTJuly 1, 2013
It was a good job to have as a teenager...not sure it is still in buisness
I am energetic and dedicated as a team player within my organization.
Case Manager (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 17, 2013
Pros: the deication of my team.
Cons: expensive healthcare
The most satisfying part of my job is to see my participants acquire housing and employment.
Great place to work but inadequate training
Treatment Specialist (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHMarch 8, 2013
Pros: working with clients to create better lifestyle choices
Cons: poor training and lack of feedback
I loved my job as a treat specialist but the training was absolutely terrible. I was not told the basics of the job and was thrown into the midst of things without any proper training. I would love to have a job such as this again but with proper training. I shadowed the other treatment specialists but unfortunately was not trained properly. I was able – more... to learn the routine of the facility, and a typical day at work included attending group sessions, learning how to process new patients, completing strip searches and urine drug screenings. My coworkers were not helpful in the slightest for the majority of the part. They did not give me any direction and much of what I learned was through observation and initiative to take charge. The hardest part of the job was the lack of feedback and proper training. What I loved about the job was working with the clients, it was an excellent experience. – less
Easy job
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee), Petersburg, VAFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: working part time
Cons: call offs
This place was a easy job. Working with mental illness and ubstance abuse clients. There was no room for advancement.
Disappointing
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee), Joplin, MissouriNovember 13, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: no support
Never met with the director the whole time i was employed. she allowed other employes to train me. i was trained incorrectly and then was fired for it. employees have zero job security. there is no inner office support.

EMarie – March 8, 2013

The exact same thing happened to me...you could be telling my story

Great Atmosphere to work in.
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee), Lafayette, INNovember 6, 2012
Pros: teamwork, standing by eachothers side.
Cons: closeing it down
My job was to make sure that the inpatient facililty was always full and making sure that the clients always had options. I learned that everyone is human and they all deserve a second chance. I was management of the admissions sections of the inpatient and out patient programs. The hardest part of the job was to see when clients failed at teh program – more... and were sent back to jail. I didnt have co-workers there, I had family. Even the clients were like my brothers. – less
A day in the life of a CNA
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Stillwater, MNOctober 28, 2012
Working at Good Samaritan was a wonderful experience. It allowed me to help others and give to them what they had needed throughout their day. I was able to assist in feeding, bathing, ADL's and other needs. These residents were very caring and thankful for the care that they were given. I learned that it is important to connect with the people you – more... are helping or taking care of and give them the best care you can. – less
Compassionate, therapeutic environment
Intern (Former Employee), West Los AngelesOctober 2, 2012
Pros: lunches were cheap in the cafeteria, attire was informal on fridays
Cons: no compensation or benefits, no mileage reinbursement for time spent driving from my house to work.
It was a good learning experience. Typically, I would review previous sessions notes and then meet with clients for therapy or counseling,. I learned a lot about veterans of the military and their culture. Management was good but the main manager left her position and most of the work was left for the manager above her thus giving her an increased work – more... load.

My co-workers were extremely, kind, supportive, good teachers, and people that made the residents and interns happy. The hardest part of the job was learning that a client had an episode over the week-end and was in the hospital or jail. The most enjoyable part of the job was working and developing relationships with the clients while setting appropriate boundaries.

Unfortunately, there was no compensation or benefits and no job security due to intern status. – less
Contract Position with HITSG
Support Coordinator (Former Employee), Brentwood, TNMay 7, 2012
Pros: small family environment.
Cons: lack of communication from management.
Basic day on the job was answering phone calls and analyzing how we were going to use Salesforce and report in it. Worked with co-workers to get issues resolved within the application. Co-workers were easy to get along with. The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job were the same thing, figuring out the issues.
My supervisor was excellent!
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYApril 19, 2012
Pros: create your own hours
I would work with children for several hours a week. I would write weekly progress notes. The management was caring and understanding. Co-workers were nice, but did not have much contact with them. This job required a lot of driving. It was most enjoyable to see the children's progress, and it was also great to hear how excited they were for our time – more... together. – less
Great learning experience
Adolescent Care Worker (Former Employee), Covington, LAMarch 9, 2012
Pros: the pay was good.
Cons: there was no job security.
It was a chance to teach and learn new things, for and with the residents.