New England Aquarium

New England Aquarium Employee Reviews in United States

New England Aquarium Intern
Marine Mammal Research and Education Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston Harbor, MAJune 14, 2016
They expect 3 - 4 days a week 9 - 5 completely unpaid work. The only benefits are free access to the aquarium and some discounts on local museums.
Interesting learning enviroment
Volunteer in the Turtle Conservation Program (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAApril 13, 2016
IT was awesome working with the rescue department and learning all about sea turtles. You get to see the rescue and rehab procedure from when they come in to when the turtles are released. You also get to help the Vets examine the turtles as well as feed them
different
Box Office Cashier (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 7, 2016
Different then what you would expect. Strict and hostile environment. Very low pay. Alot of drama that it feels like high school and it doesnt make it stress free to come in
Pros
out by 6
Cons
management
Very Productive and Interactive
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 2, 2015
Fast paced environment and very social place. showing customers and the children a wonderful experience . Excellent place to gain customer service and make bonds with those who come
Pros
promoted quick
Best job I ever had
Animal Presenter (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 22, 2015
During my time at the NEAQ I met the best people to work with they trained me and taught me so much about a non profit organization. I learned a lot about different animals. I also felt like I learned how to master public speaking because after the proper training I was talking in front of an attendance as big as 500 people. The hardest part of the job was probably knowing I couldn't go far in the company because i was so young at the time and I already went as far as I could in the company.
Pros
Interacting with all the animals
Cons
not being able to go higher in the company
Concessions Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 9, 2015
My day start at 8:00 am, I do check all my employees that are schedule they are on time. after check all my area , I do go to my office to check email and any request. I do paper work, order, schedule, inventory, Meeting. Also I do check all area are running properly from our expectation.
New England Aquarium
Assistant Supervisor/Host (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 24, 2015
Best place to work part time, it's fun, educational and the very interesting. I love that place and i always meet new people from different countries that come here just to study the behaviors of seaa animals.
Fun place to work, but good luck getting in.
Part Time Educator (Former Employee) –  Boston MAMarch 30, 2015
NEAQ is a wonderful workplace with a great mission and wonderful employees. Part time jobs pop up occasionally, but if you haven't been volunteering there for the last few (or 20) years, good luck getting an interview. Very difficult to move up or into higher or full time positions.
summer job
Seasonal Visitor Educator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 3, 2015
the greatest job a teen or a adult interested in the world of water could ever have. Wonderful co workers amazing guest and lots of things to learn from this job .
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
productive, hardworking, fun, and satisfying work place
Intern (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 1, 2015
Worked with all around amazing people and could not have asked for a better experience as my first internship.

A typical days include taking and recording temperatures, observing the animals, cleaning husbandry tanks, daily feedings, and interacting with the public whenever possible.

Hardest part of the job, be willing to constantly be on your feet- running up and down MULTIPLE flights of stairs, carrying heavy things. Don't be afraid to get dirty.

Most enjoyable part of the job- all of it. I loved every single part of the job.
Pros
discounts
Cons
interns are not likely to be hired
Great workplace with wonderful surroundings.
Lead Cashier (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 27, 2014
For 5 years I've worked here and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. There are so many amazing people as well as the beautiful animals. After all, work is a lot more fun when you get to talk about fish!
Upper management...
Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 23, 2014
Didn't really know what to do in their jobs when I was there. Most are gone now, but I dont know how the new people are.
Exciting,fun place to work.
Visitors Aid (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 18, 2014
A great place to work for students or young adults. A strong team environment, and a genuine love and care for the animals.
Professional Summery
Corporate Sales and Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 17, 2014
A wonderful mission and non-profit organization to be apart of. However, through the retirement of key management and a strong will to change overal corporate culture. I am seeking an enviornment that is best suited to match my drive and passion, verses a relaxed and passive approach to important buisness issues and development.
Great Team
Cashier-Gift Shop (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 2, 2014
NeaQ is a fun and friendly place where you can be yourself, and with the right management, they are flexible with your hours. LOVE this job because it is flexible with schooling. Just be on time and show up to work, and you will be great!
Pros
free admission, free whale watch, discounted lunch and gift shop
A short term position
Telemarketing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 29, 2013
Telemarketing Supervisor for Spring and Summer Annual Campaign.
Recruited, trained and supervised a team of fundraisers in support of the aquarium's environmental, educational and research programs. The position was fun and challenging. However, it was clear from the beginning that it was a "temporary" position. I heard from numerous staff that they were converting the position into a data base admin position and would be outsourcing in the future.
At the end of the summer campaign they released me and indeed they converted the position and outsourced. (I got calls from them from time to time).

One issue is that at the time they used a database for fundraising called RAISER'S EDGE. They brought in a trainer for a few days and we had a whirlwind tour of the system. I never truly became proficient in it beyond basics.
Pros
working for the new england aquarium was a contribution to something i believe is important.
Cons
leadership and supervisory support minimal.
Enjoyable fun job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 6, 2013
great people and great work environment, A team atmosphere and good management.
Interesting Experience
Aquarist Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 16, 2013
A great learning experience. My time there gave me the direction I needed to decide on a future career.
Steady paced and just an all around great place to work.
Box Office Cashier/Host (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 8, 2013
I loved working at the NEAQ, it was probably one of the best jobs I have ever had. No matter what your job title is, it's like you're a part of a family. Everyone knows everyone and regardless if you're cleaning toilets or checking PH levels, you will leave knowing a ton more about aquatic life than when you first came in. I met some of the best people while working there and it was unfortunate that I was not able to work there anymore.
Volunteer position
Senior Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 4, 2013
Initial time commitment required, very flexible after that. Excellent staff and friendly volunteers. Very hard to move into a paid position due to interest and a very low turn over on job openings.
Pros
enjoying time with the penguins
Cons
hard to land a job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New England Aquarium. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2