New England Culinary Institute Employee Reviews in United States

Fun work place, not a lot of support
Catering Manager at New England Culinary Instute (Current Employee) –  Montpelier, VTNovember 3, 2015
My work day consist of Coordinating and catering events from breakfast to dinner. I have learned a lot from my Supervisor and trainer, she has helped me through a lot and has taught me every thing I know. Aside from my Supervisor I do not care for the management, I think New England Culinary Institute do not care about their employees or how they are treated. I like my co-workers I have become the manager and I still treat my employees as co-workers and try my hardest to make sure they are happy, and they know I am here and I care. The hardest part of my job is the long hours I have to work most of the time and not getting compensated for it. I enjoy my co-workers and what I do. I love food and every aspect of it and working for New England Culinary Institute has given me a lot of experience and I am grateful for that.
Pros
Free food and learning more each day about the Culinary Industry
Cons
Most days I do not get a break, the pay isnt enough for what I have to do, and the lack of Managment caring.
Rebuilding Years
STAFF - FULL TIME (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTAugust 25, 2015
This company is going through change, which is hard. Great place for your first job, but not a place that will take care of you in the long run.
Pros
AMAZING CHEF INSTRUCTORS! reduced fee for lunch at outlets, gym membership @ FIF
Cons
HR DIRECTOR, Management, Leadership, and over-all company Morale
Dynamic and exciting company
Instructor/Manager - Core Faculty (Current Employee) –  Montpelier, VTSeptember 19, 2014
Nice place to work, very talented faculty. Lots of good food to eat, lots of vacation time.
Senior Banquet Captain
Senior Banquet Captain (Former Employee) –  Essex, VTMay 2, 2014
Set up and supervision of banquet services
weddings, meetings etc.
Poor Management
Jack of all Trades (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTAugust 27, 2013
I worked there for a couple of years and left very unhappy. I worked full time but was never paid as a full time employee. HR refused to give me my raise after being promoted and I wasn't allowed to get any benefits. Many of the Chefs treated lower level employees with little to no respect.

This school does not work as one but rather in separate department trying to achieve their own goals. The lack of communication makes the school a huge mess and a complete loss to the students education.
Pros
working with students
Cons
no structure, no support, lack of respect
College Job
RA (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTJune 27, 2013
For what a college job was, this was great. Hours flexable with school work & social life.
Support Staff fand Work Enviroment
Rounds Instructor (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTMay 29, 2013
I was hired as an Adjunct Instructor at rate of pay, then they hired me full time at a lower rate of pay. Then they increased my rate of pay, but increased the cost of benefits.

The work enviroment can be hostile at timesand stressing. I was never approved for any vacation time I requested. My support chef was more worried how the upper management looked at him and what was in it for him.
Pros
the students
Cons
benefits, cut throat support staff
Student at NECI
Student (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTDecember 14, 2012
I was a student at NECI. During blackout dates, holidays, student vacations, and weekends I worked at NECI's restaurants and cafeterias.
Great students, very disorganized management.
student services (Former Employee) –  vtOctober 8, 2012
Poor personnel decisions made by senior management and consultants over the last few years have put the school in danger of closing. Very little emphasis is put forth on planning and execution. Benefits are below industry standards. HR spends more time planning parties than managing benefits and personnel issues.
Pros
co-workers and students
Cons
lack of leadership at the top
overpriced wast of time
student (Former Employee) –  vermontJuly 3, 2012
NECI is an overpriced school that you dont recive a good edu. it is a wast of time and money.
A culinary wonderland, great people in a great area
Rounds Chef, Catering operations manager (Former Employee) –  Montpelier VTJanuary 5, 2012
Enjoyed the people and places working for NECI Educating students and networking with the culinary department has helped my carear greatly.
Pros
meals included
Cons
winter in vt

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New England Culinary Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6