New England Village Inc. Employee Reviews

Poor management/pay
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJanuary 18, 2018
Low pay with lots demands... map certification first aid cpr restraint training .25 yr raise after being there 4 yrs
Upper mgmt no longer there not enough staff for houses/clients ratio low behavior plans joke high staff turnover lots temp pple seasoned staff has mostly left since new director took over
nurse on duty m-f 8-5 aftter that u take clients to min clinic if problem
No communication from mgmt to staff no help offered/given from mgmt houses in much need of updating and repairs
Enjoy clients i service very nice people
Pros
Clients are great
Cons
Pay staffing management
I've done a little bit of everything at NEV
Jack of All Trades (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsOctober 17, 2017
I have worked for NEV for a little over 4 years, climbing that ole' career ladder. I started as a Paraprofessional in Day Habilitation Services and picked up overtime in the evenings as a DSP for residential homes. After approximately a year and a half I applied for and was promoted to a Program Manager position. After approximately another year and a half I applied for and was promoted to my current position. I have been in my current role for just over a year and love it. Given my experience as an entry level staff, manager and currently as a specialist I would like to share my experiences to those who would like to continue reading.

First of all I would like to point out that (in my experience) there is room to grow here at NEV. However, a degree is required to hold management positions (some tuition reimbursement is available through NEV).

I'll start by sharing my experiences as an entry level Para and DSP. I really enjoyed and believe that I excelled in this position. Days at the Day Program go by fast, if you aren't up for a fast paced day then this job isn't for you. The day typically starts with a brief staff meeting to get the day in order. Individuals arrive in contracted transportation and are welcomed in by staff and walked to their "homerooms" where the day will begin. From there staff assist individuals as needed through 4 (45 minute to 1 hour) offerings, lunch, and a morning/afternoon homeroom. You are hands on with your 1-7 individuals for the entire day. This day is fast and structured, you will be responsible for running curriculum, teaching life skills,
  more... assisting with ADL's, collecting data, running behavior support plans and modeling positive behaviors at all times. Residential is very similar but at a much slower pace with much better staff ratios. I did not enjoy the slow pace of residential support and often volunteered to go swimming, shopping or to exercise classes with the individuals. Orientation and on the job training have improved greatly over the past few years so new hires are well prepared to start their shifts. Both jobs are very rewarding but can be emotionally draining if you are a negative person or working with a negative staff. For me the worst part of the job was working with some of the employees that have become bitter over the years and feel under appreciated. This company could be better at employee appreciation but it is not nearly as bad as some reviews would leave you to believe. NEV is just not big on giving out shirts, hats and other flare to show appreciation. It is normally expressed in person through a conversation and a smile.

For me being a program manager at NEV was one of the toughest jobs I've had. Mainly because you don't get the opportunity to do your job because you are assisting individuals due to a shortage of solid DSP staff. I wont get into the day to day happenings of the job as they change program to program but overall when there is adequate capable staffing the case loads are easily manageable. Unfortunately staffing is an issue that NEV hasn't been able to solve. Many will say that upper management is the issue and that might be true, however, I personally haven't had any issues with upper management. The new VP is very hands on and welcoming and the CEO has open office hours.

I have been in my current role now for just over a year and love it! I am currently working at NEV's wellness center and I feel like my job was designed specifically for me. I am working with a strong, dedicated team and positive supervisors. Again I wont get into the day to day aspects of my position but I would like the take away to be that there is something for almost everyone at NEV.

Be Kind,

A Happy Employee
Pros
Career Growth, rewarding work, something for everyone
Cons
Shortage of staff, staff burnout
No job without it's stress yet none without it's compensations
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, MAAugust 8, 2017
I paraphrase King George III who said "there is no life without it's regrets but none without it's compensations". Such is the work New England Village. On any given day I am called on to be everything to the men for whom I work. It is something akin to being a glorified babysitter. Working with those who have developmental disabilities is not for everyone but every now and then one of the men that I work with will say something or show a spark of independence that is so rewarding that words escape me. Yes, it would be nice to be better compensated but overall, I would recommend the job to anyone seeking a fun and rewarding experience.
Pros
Helping those who really need my help
Cons
Low pay, stressful work at times.
The Clients are amazing!
Assistant Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, MAJune 6, 2017
I love the work that I do and the clients that I serve. However, upper management care very little about its residential staff and allows us to be left unsupported.
Many issues
Residential (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAFebruary 12, 2017
There are some great dedicated employees.Administration is completely out of touch and not responsive to employees. This used to be a great place to work but there are so many staff shortages due to the administration s poor planning and unwillingness to support staff that you are always in crisis mode. Pay does not keep up with demands of the job and lots of long term employees are leaving. Used to b a great company but now it's a company in trouble.
Pros
Meaningful work dedicated coworkers
Cons
Low pay long hours and no appreciation
Rewarding job
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  pembroke maJanuary 15, 2017
rewarding job working with adults with Autism and Down Syndrome
my co-workers are very helpful and they work very hard. The hardest part of the job is getting the right staff to work with the individuals
Pros
great team work
Cons
not enough staff
Great Place
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, MANovember 19, 2015
Great Place to work. Community for adults with intellectual and developmental disability. Half the management team is new to NEV within one year. Currently in a growth period.
some concerns
employed (Former Employee) –  school streetOctober 19, 2015
residents and direct care staff are terrific. upper management is scary. coworkers are great.
residents really like it there.
Pros
residents, direct care staff, medical staff
Cons
upper management
This is a usual day in the life of staff and client
Direct care professional (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, MAMay 29, 2015
In a typical day, I would drive the clients to wherever they needed to go, such as the bank, hairdressers or maybe a dance. We would then come home and make lunches together for their programs the next day. I would prepare dinner, they would assist with cleaning up afterwards. Then they would shower, teeth etc and I would administer their medications. My co-workers and I would be able to pick up wherever one would leave unfinished. The immediate manager which would be the House managers are usually hard working just as ourselves. Upper management has no relationship with staff. There is no open door policy. The most enjoyable part of the job is when our clients are excelling in something, such as Special Olympics, dancing, basket ball and so on. I have learned PATIENCE.
Pros
Self Motivation
Cons
Sometimes a difficult client
emotionally draining work caring for the handicapped
❸ Weekend Coordinator (Former Employee) –  pembroke maApril 27, 2015
Emotionally rewarding work but terrible pay and benefits. Management does not have your back. will be kept part time regardless of hours worked to not have to pay for benefits
Pros
paid to sleep
Cons
low pay
Interesting and Educational place to work
Client Advocate (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, MAJanuary 16, 2014
A typical day at work consists of helping the clients make their lunches, assisting them with their laundry, cooking dinner for them, making sure they take their evening medications and ensuring that they all bathe properly. The job has it's rewarding times as well as challenging times.
Pros
Client interaction
Cons
Maintaining patients when dealing with clients who are physically and verbally abusive.
Enjoyable place to work; Co-workers and management very dedicated
Caregiver / Weekend Awake Overnight cargiver (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAJanuary 17, 2013
On an average day at work, I would first administer Medications to the 5 adults living in the house late afternoon shift; Next begin preparations for dinner and any minor chores such as laundry. Also, depending on the day, prepare residents for any activities they were scheduled to attend at the village / housing compound. Some of the activities included, swimming, bowling, trips to the store, and going for walks throughout the nature path in woods. After residents completed their meal, prepare all of them for bed (i.e., toileting, showers, brushing teeth, etc.). Lastly, administer nightly Medication to the 5 adults. Once all were settled down for the night (12:00am), I would complete light housekeeping throughout the Night shift hours. However, 3 of the 5 normally needed assistance to the bathroom throughout the night until 6:00 am. I then would begin breakfast and assist them with showering or toileting as needed. My shift ended at 9:00 am. Depending on the co-worker relieving me, either myself or that person would administer Morning medications.
All in all from Friday evening through Monday morning, my total hours were 35 hours within a 4-day ( Overnight ) period.
Pros
very friendly people
Cons
healthcare cost of benefits were high

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New England Village Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5