New Hanover County

New Hanover County Employer Reviews

Excellent Benefits
Trades Specialist (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCAugust 22, 2013
As mentioned excellent benefits, not much room for growth as is typical in government agencies.
Good Internship experience
Public Information Intern (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCJuly 9, 2013
good introduction to public government and offers chance to lead and collaborate on projects
Interesting working for the tax dept
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCMarch 11, 2013
Very friendly people and I learned a lot about how they calculate property taxes
Nepotism is a factor here
Confidential (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCDecember 28, 2012
I should have known this job wouldn't pan out when I first met with the incompetent human resource officers. I was not an internal hire and was certainly treated as such. I've seen highly qualified applicants passed over in favor of HR employees' family and friends. Shameful.
Temporary Transportation Assistant
Temporary Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Wilmington, NCJune 27, 2012
Pros: hours: m - f 8 to 1ish
Cons: difficult to take breaks to eat or use the restroom...very very busy
I learned how to work better and more efficiently with difficult personality types. I learned how to do quick and efficient cost accounting. Overall an OK place to work as a temporary employee; does not include any sort of benefits.
High Paced Job
911 Telecommunicator (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCMay 29, 2012
Pros: work is different everyday, good pay, rewarding at times
Cons: long hours with few breaks, holiday and week ends required, little reward for hard work
Answered many 911 emergency lines for 12 hours. Dispatched all emergency agencies to all type of calls. Very High paced job. Typed in all information being given by the caller and dispatched calls out to the agencies while typing and talking on the phone. Maintained several certifications related to this job. Worked with 12 others at the same time. – more... The Job was very rewarding at times but could be very stressful also. – less
Good job if you have no family life
Telecommunicatior (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCApril 2, 2012
This job consists of long hours, where you are plugged into a radio and phone. There is a high turn over rate so you are often on forced overtime, turning your week into 60/70 hrs. If you are not buddy buddy with the upper staff, then they will blame you for any problems that arise even if it wasnt your fault.