New Hanover County Employee Reviews

Nice Co-Workers
ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 25, 2015
Good place to work, nice environment for patients. Allows workers to have more freedom to accomplish company's goals.
Excellent employer
Volunteer Firefighter (Former Employee) –  wilmingtonJuly 16, 2015
the day begins with a meeting and then we set out to accomplish our tasks while responding to emergencies. excellent mentorship and I would recommend to anyone.
Loved the job! Great benefits!
Former 911 (Former Employee) –  Former 911 centerFebruary 20, 2015
County has a wonderful customer service practice. They need an employee service practice. Coworkers do not work together, constant backstabbing and gossiping. Supervisors have favorites and ignore everyone else. Upper management needs training on how to treat and value employees. If there is a coworker breaking the rules, everyone gets a message about the issue. I believe it should be addressed with that person not a general message sent around the room. I think that is very unprofessional in my opinion and causes a hostile work environment.
Pros
benifits
Cons
pay
Positive organizational mission
Program Specialist - Sheriff's Office Gang Unit (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 20, 2014
Positive organizational mission which makes a difference for the people in the community.
Pros
organizational mission
Cons
low salary
great benefits, retirement
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 6, 2014
Given the autonomy to make the best decisions possible. Great long term benefits.
benefits
Cons
hours are long
Provides many services for the seniors in New Hanover County
New Hanover County Senior Resource Center (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 2, 2013
I manage three employees who coordinate senior volunteers. I am responsible for writing and implementing two Federal grants and one State grant. This includes working with three different budgets as well.
Excellent Benefits
Trades Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCAugust 22, 2013
As mentioned excellent benefits, not much room for growth as is typical in government agencies.
Good Internship experience
Public Information Intern (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJuly 9, 2013
good introduction to public government and offers chance to lead and collaborate on projects
Interesting working for the tax dept
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 11, 2013
Very friendly people and I learned a lot about how they calculate property taxes
Nepotism is a factor here
Confidential (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 28, 2012
I should have known this job wouldn't pan out when I first met with the incompetent human resource officers. I was not an internal hire and was certainly treated as such. I've seen highly qualified applicants passed over in favor of HR employees' family and friends. Shameful.
Temporary Transportation Assistant
Temporary Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJune 27, 2012
I learned how to work better and more efficiently with difficult personality types. I learned how to do quick and efficient cost accounting. Overall an OK place to work as a temporary employee; does not include any sort of benefits.
Pros
hours: m - f 8 to 1ish
Cons
difficult to take breaks to eat or use the restroom...very very busy
High Paced Job
911 Telecommunicator (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 29, 2012
Answered many 911 emergency lines for 12 hours. Dispatched all emergency agencies to all type of calls. Very High paced job. Typed in all information being given by the caller and dispatched calls out to the agencies while typing and talking on the phone. Maintained several certifications related to this job. Worked with 12 others at the same time. The Job was very rewarding at times but could be very stressful also.
Pros
work is different everyday, good pay, rewarding at times
Cons
long hours with few breaks, holiday and week ends required, little reward for hard work
Good job if you have no family life
Telecommunicatior (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCApril 2, 2012
This job consists of long hours, where you are plugged into a radio and phone. There is a high turn over rate so you are often on forced overtime, turning your week into 60/70 hrs. If you are not buddy buddy with the upper staff, then they will blame you for any problems that arise even if it wasnt your fault.