New Hanover County Employee Reviews in United States

Loved the job! Great benefits!
Former 911 (Former Employee) –  Former 911 centerFebruary 20, 2015
County has a wonderful customer service practice. They need an employee service practice. Coworkers do not work together, constant backstabbing and gossiping. Supervisors have favorites and ignore everyone else. Upper management needs training on how to treat and value employees. If there is a coworker breaking the rules, everyone gets a message about the issue. I believe it should be addressed with that person not a general message sent around the room. I think that is very unprofessional in my opinion and causes a hostile work environment.
Pros
benifits
Cons
pay
Awesome place of employment. Definitely a office that is well-run
Deputy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJune 23, 2016
Very busy and fast paced. Must have great public service. Management is excellent a fantastic place to work! If you like working with the public, and working in a fast paced job environment, THIS JOB IS FOR YOU!
Good place to work if you can get in
District Attorney New Hanover County Internship (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 19, 2016
I really enjoyed my time interning here. The only downside is the lack of employment opportunities. It is NOT easy to get a job here!
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Lack of job availability
Nhc dss
Admin Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCApril 20, 2016
I love my job, from getting in and throughout the day of all the different tasks I am issued. If I weren't relocating, I would remain at my current job.
Fun place to work
Zoning Official/CAMA Local Permit Officer & (CFM) (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 27, 2015
A typical work day varies from day to day.

Co-workers are great to work with.

Multi-tasking skills are needed with this type of job with all aspects as are excellent communication and interpersonal skills,
Pros
A typical work day varies
Cons
computer software used for permitting is slow
Temporary Transportation Assistant
Temporary Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJune 27, 2012
I learned how to work better and more efficiently with difficult personality types. I learned how to do quick and efficient cost accounting. Overall an OK place to work as a temporary employee; does not include any sort of benefits.
Pros
hours: m - f 8 to 1ish
Cons
difficult to take breaks to eat or use the restroom...very very busy
Positive organizational mission
Program Specialist - Sheriff's Office Gang Unit (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 20, 2014
Positive organizational mission which makes a difference for the people in the community.
Pros
organizational mission
Cons
low salary
great benefits, retirement
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 6, 2014
Given the autonomy to make the best decisions possible. Great long term benefits.
benefits
Cons
hours are long
Excellent Benefits
Trades Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCAugust 22, 2013
As mentioned excellent benefits, not much room for growth as is typical in government agencies.
Excellent employer
Volunteer Firefighter (Former Employee) –  wilmingtonJuly 16, 2015
the day begins with a meeting and then we set out to accomplish our tasks while responding to emergencies. excellent mentorship and I would recommend to anyone.
High Paced Job
911 Telecommunicator (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 29, 2012
Answered many 911 emergency lines for 12 hours. Dispatched all emergency agencies to all type of calls. Very High paced job. Typed in all information being given by the caller and dispatched calls out to the agencies while typing and talking on the phone. Maintained several certifications related to this job. Worked with 12 others at the same time. The Job was very rewarding at times but could be very stressful also.
Pros
work is different everyday, good pay, rewarding at times
Cons
long hours with few breaks, holiday and week ends required, little reward for hard work
Good job if you have no family life
Telecommunicatior (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCApril 2, 2012
This job consists of long hours, where you are plugged into a radio and phone. There is a high turn over rate so you are often on forced overtime, turning your week into 60/70 hrs. If you are not buddy buddy with the upper staff, then they will blame you for any problems that arise even if it wasnt your fault.
Nepotism is a factor here
Confidential (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 28, 2012
I should have known this job wouldn't pan out when I first met with the incompetent human resource officers. I was not an internal hire and was certainly treated as such. I've seen highly qualified applicants passed over in favor of HR employees' family and friends. Shameful.
Provides many services for the seniors in New Hanover County
New Hanover County Senior Resource Center (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 2, 2013
I manage three employees who coordinate senior volunteers. I am responsible for writing and implementing two Federal grants and one State grant. This includes working with three different budgets as well.
Good Internship experience
Public Information Intern (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJuly 9, 2013
good introduction to public government and offers chance to lead and collaborate on projects
Interesting working for the tax dept
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 11, 2013
Very friendly people and I learned a lot about how they calculate property taxes

New Hanover County Reviews by Location