New Jersey City University Employee Reviews in United States

Great benefits and hours, awful morale and leaders.
School therapist at AHM (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 9, 2016
Looking for a nice place to work? Don't work here. Long-time employees who never leave are mean and/or complacent. Love working with some teachers and students but management is not supportive and rules change day to day, person to person.
Pros
Benefits. Hours.
Cons
Negative, un-supportive atmosphere, micro-managing of non-supervisory staff, zero job security since special needs school is only a temp contract with NJCU.
Fast-paced working environment
Clerk Typist - Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJApril 8, 2016
A typical work day consist of managing floor traffic, answer incoming call, distribute mail, and processing employment verification.

I learned how to create departmental forms, and the involvement of employee relations.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to assist faculty, staff, and potential employees with pressing issues or directory to appropriate location for further assistance.

Co-workers works diligently with their assigned task, therefore this is a cohesive working environment.
Productive and Educational
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 24, 2016
We are always out in the field learning new techniques on how to collect data and identifying all of type of marine life. i'm always having fun with the people i work with. My boss loves her job and she loves teaching us new things. i enjoy going to work, my co-workers are out going we have a lot of fun together. We enjoy what we do. The hardest part is waking up at 4 in the morning to go to our working sites before the tide comes in.
Good workplace
Senior Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 5, 2016
NJCU is a great company to work for and they also give you a great opportunity for growth. This place is also great if you want free tuition, they offer a tuition waiver for their employees depending on the union that you are in.
Summary
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 3, 2016
NJCU is a good company to work for. Great health benefits and the tuition waiver is a plus. Management can sometimes micro-manage, depending on who your supervisor is, however they have great unions.
No comment
Professional Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJNovember 14, 2015
New Jersey City University offers many benefits to its employees. However, it is very hard to advance within the organization.
Productive and a chance to network
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJOctober 23, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. This is a place to help one grow and expand their networking connections. Being a student ambassador allows me to communicate my passion for the school to prospective students.
Very rewarding place to work
Secretarial Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJNovember 5, 2015
It is a very rewarding and challenging place to work. My department is very respectful and understanding and a team player. I enjoy coming to work everyday--everyday is a new learning experience. I have learned excellent communication skills and the ability to continue to learn has also made me a better speaker and listener.
Pros
Very close to home
Cons
Parking is very expensive
Good
Chemistry Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Jersey cityMay 15, 2015
Gave me experience in order to survive. Little by little I gain accuracy and precision in my job. The difficulty was the pay but praise YAH always Jeremiah 29:11.
Nice experience overall
Supplemental Instructor/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 16, 2015
I loved working in the University, it is always convenient and they are for the most part understanding with the academic load that one carries over the shoulders. The only one thing I have ALWAYS hated, is that it takes a month to get paid. You work for two week, submit your time sheets, and the payment doesn't comes in until two weeks later, IF everything is in order in your time sheet, if not you have to fix it, and you get paid on the next cycle, (another two weeks) it is really SO not convenient and not reliable. You can never be 100% sure you will be getting your money that Friday... and if that's not the case, you need to be sure you have enough money to survive the month with out that money.
Pros
Convenient for students
Cons
IT TAKES FOREVER TO GET PAID!!
A chance to meet a lot of different people
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 21, 2014
A normal day at work would consist of me signing students and guest in and out as they walk into the building to go into the dorms. I have learned since i have been working here is that you have to speak up and put your foot down because people will try and walk over you.When it comes to management they can be very strict at the same time flexible and willing to work with you depending on the situation. All of my co-workers i tend to stay in good contact with each other as far as work goes so there is usually never any miscommunication when it comes to people relieving people for their shift. The hardest part of my job is probably trying to get to more hours or trying to move up. The most enjoyable part of my job would have to getting to meet some new almost everyday
Pros
times are flexible
Cons
you can only get a certain amount of hours
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJAugust 24, 2015
• Create scheduling for freshmen placement testing
• Prepare and implement pre-and post-test procedures
• Report test results
• Plan and develop student advisement activities
• Advise and respond to inquiries from new freshmen
• Supervise and assign tasks to student assistants
• Transactions with Bursar
New jersey city university
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 2, 2015
It was a great experience to work in research at my university, I have learned to do many things such as
Planned, organized, implemented and managed multiple research and test projects successfully.
Worked with a team of students and trained them on the skills I have learned from my instructor.
Planned daily activity in coordination with research goals.
Kept neat and accurate records of all analyzed data, input data, recorded procedures and results.
Conducted research on cancer cells, MCF-7, DU145 and H460.
Initiated research by growing, splitting and plating cancer cells.
Treated three cell lines with different concentrations of antagonist and agonist to the NMDA
Decent place to work
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 11, 2012
I've worked at three universities and this is my favorite. As always though, higher edu politics get in the way of this place being great.
Pros
co-workers, fringe benefits
Cons
politics
Productive and good people to work for
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJune 19, 2015
Its a low maintenance type of place. You do your job and your good with the bosses. Start slacking and not performing well, they get on you about it. Co-workers are good people and they all go out and hang with one another to make a close and casual environment for everyone. The workload is not bad.
Pros
Excellent co-workers
Cons
Nothing really
Very supportive environment, very nice staff
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 9, 2015
I enjoyed working at NJCU. I learned a lot from my mentor and coworkers, everyone was so approachable and willing to assist you at any moment. It was a very supportive environment and we always worked as a team.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
fast pace
Work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 21, 2012
A typical day at work, helping students, faculty and staff. I learned how to use programs such as CS Gold. Management is great because we follow procedures and policies. My co-workers are great and we work as a team.The hardest part of the job is making sure that you entered the correct username and deposited the right amount of money. The most enjoyable part is helping others.
Pros
free food when there are workshops, education
Cons
wifi is weak
nice environment to work
Adjunct Faculty at Math Department (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJune 17, 2015
My job is Math Faculty.I come early as possible to have time to be prepared and ready for my lectures. If it is possible, I exchange experiences and best practices with other co-workers.
Pros
Faculty support
Nice Envorinment
Administrative Assistant/ Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 30, 2013
Nice Envirnoment! I enjoy helping my co-worker with various projects. I am learning the different parts of how Human Resources function. The most enjoyable part of my job is that the upper management is flexible with my schedule being that I am a student.
Pros
summer hours
Cons
not full-time
fun lab
Undergraduate Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJune 19, 2015
fun lab learned alot with my professor. hard work is imperative for success in that lab. Hardest part is dealing with the QC.

4.5