New Jersey Institute for Disabilities Employee Reviews

productive
Program Assistant, Full-Time (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJuly 31, 2015
you always have something to work on. the clients are great sometime the people you work with give you problems because they can be lazy at times
only there for the students
Para (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJApril 8, 2015
The program itself for the students is excellent. If you want a job that you can't advance in, here it is. It is a good first job, something nice to put on your resume, just don't get comfortable. There is no room for advancement. There is also little to no communication between the staff and administration about current concerns, therefore issues go unresolved. It is a nonprofit so there is no union reps to speak for the people when there are situations that need to be addressed. The staff has a overall love and concern for the students, that is what motivates staff to continue working. But overall, it is not worth the headache.
Pros
working with the students
Cons
low wages, no communication, unfair rules, rules don't apply to everyone.
I was the front desk clerical support for the school, and a liason between parents and staff. The hardest part of the job was to hold back sympathy
Receptionist/Front Desk, Clerical Asst. (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJOctober 7, 2014
As a School for children with disabilities you would think that the atmosphere would be depressing, but to the contrary, it was a very upbeat and positive workplace. I was a receptionist/front desk and
clerical support for the entire school and OT, PT, and ST departments, such as therapies, wheelchair clinic, and augmentative clinic. I operated a multi-line phone system, and participated in many projects as necessary. Interaction with students and their families was a bonus you could not replace.
Pros
pleasant atmosphere, comradery with staff and students. excellent benefits and salary increases.
Cons
the only con i have is that they needed to reduce staff due to budgetary concerns, lower enrollment, reduction in state aid.
How my day begaings
Group Home Manager (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJNovember 14, 2013
A day at work begging with me checking on all the clients to see how their night went. Then I check with my staff to get a report of their shift. I then check e-mails and review paper work from the shift . I have learned that as a manager that I have responsibility to make sure that my staff are doing their job and meeting the expatiation of the job. The hardest part of the job is when i have to write up on of my staff. This is my responsibility as a manager . I will also use the write up as a teachable moment for the staff. I enjoy the interaction with the clients that I provide a severs for.
Pros
i am able to work with people and make sure that they have a good life.
Cons
their are people in the cummunity that need to be educatated
Not much room for advancement
Head LPN CARE Homes (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJSeptember 11, 2012
Typical day of work is on hand experience. Checking GTube placement, O2 sats, vitals, medication administration. The management is a little unstable as there tends to be personal friendships leading to favoritisms. The hardest part of the job is escaping from chatty staff, as much as you distance yourself and say you want nothing to do with the childish gossip, its always there. There isnt room for advancement and no paid time off nor insurance.The most enjoyable part of the day is when you get to make the clients laugh and see that they had an enjoyable day.
Pros
making the clients smila and laugh at the end of the day
Cons
no insurance, no opportunity for advancement
excellent experience
Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Perth Amboy, NJSeptember 4, 2012
transition planning for individuals with intellectual and physical disabilities. provided me witht he abilities to know that all we put in our minds we can do
Pros
networking
Cons
it was a non profit

Want to know more about New Jersey Institute for Disabilities?

Ask a question