New Mexico State University Employee Reviews

Nice place
Exchange student (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMAugust 7, 2017
The day was intense and tiring but interesting and motivating. People are relaxed and friendly, always available to help. I really enjoyed my staying there.
good place for student
Academic Researcher (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMAugust 7, 2017
We are New Mexico’s land-grant institution, a comprehensive research institution of higher education dedicated to teaching, research, and service at the undergraduate and graduate levels. NMSU is a NASA Space Grant College, a Hispanic-serving institution and is home to the very first Honors College in New Mexico. We have been recognized as a top tier university on the U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges for 2016 National Universities rankings.
Land of enchantment
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMAugust 7, 2017
The place that the locals call the city of the crosses. An experience for any who are looking for a nice religious awakening. The people on campus are all friendly and will go out of their way for anybody.
Ok
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMAugust 1, 2017
It was good for me as a student, but it have been difficult for me to maintain post graduation. I was expected to teach, tutor, grade, plan, hold office hours, etc. with very little training and very little support or funding from the university itself. i did receive assistance from my own department on their own accord though.
Great campus, good people, lousy compensation
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJuly 28, 2017
Teaching at NMSU is fairly typical of other institutions. You are never really off the clock. You do not get paid very well and expected to manage a very large work load, which includes research design, writing, analysis and, hopefully, publication. The culture is OK, but it is an academic job and their is always an unspoken, high degree of stress that comes with it.
Pros
Time to conduct research
Cons
research is an unspoken, unpaid job requirement
Good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJuly 24, 2017
An institution of learning like any other. Requirements mixed in and requirements throughout. Forever do the winds blow on and on and on, for if we do not where where do they go, what do they do for a job?
Laid back, great leave and benefits. A bit unstable and highly political.
IT Guy (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJuly 21, 2017
Worked at NMSU for over 10 years in technology. My management has been fantastic during that time, and the job was always interesting and enjoyable with great co-workers. In the last few years, however, state budgets have taken their toll, and the environment has gone downhill. Most folks are afraid for their jobs, at least a little, and nobody knows if they'll be moved or restructured at any given time.

The benefits are outstanding, far better than private sector, but you make up for it with the salary compensation. Salaries at NMSU are not very competitive.
Pros
Great days off and sick day benefits. Nice people to work with.
Cons
Instability. Low Pay.
good place to work.
New Mexico Works Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMJuly 20, 2017
Very good place to work. I was employed for 4 years and enjoyed most of my working years. I would recommend that other individuals apply for a position with this university.
Pros
Good working conditions
Cons
Difficult to find employment
Productive, challenging, educational
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJuly 10, 2017
Research funding impacts salary and job stability. Wide variety of work challenges. Educational and experience opportunities are a plus. There is a tendency to direct scope of work far beyond job description, this is the trade-off for the above plus.
organized and very inspiring atmosphere
NMSU Strength and Conditioning Intern (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 28, 2017
I volunteered here to gain some experience with strength and conditioning. The guys here are very educated and are very dedicated to their athletes.

I helped lead workouts and assisted the coaches, plus actually lead the injured athletes in programs designed by me. I also assisted in the Nutrition by preparing snacks and other items for the athletes.
Pros
free equipment use and free food
Cons
Couldn't spend enough time in their due to school schedule
Excellent place to deal with different kind of people
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 20, 2017
As a Teacher Assistant in New Mexico State University I was able to meet people from different parts off the world and also to solve problems that they may have
Pros
Improvement off time management's skills
Professors are amazing
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 20, 2017
I used to work at NMSU as a graduate assistant. The whole department was a pleasant work environment. The professors are some of the most amazing thinkers I've known.
Pros
Professors and admin staff are nice
Cons
Benefits are not that great
Productive enviornment focused on student learning.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 17, 2017
Land-grant university, serving the educational needs of New Mexico’s diverse population through comprehensive programs of education, research, extension education, and public service.
NMSU Research Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 15, 2017
This was an exceptional place to work and provided great opportunities to challenge my mental capacity. During my time here, I developed fundamental laboratory skills in plant pathology.
Very good with there employees
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  New MexicoJune 7, 2017
NMSU does an excellent job at facilitating the skills and needs of their work force. The human resources are readily available when needed and do not cause any additional stresses to the job.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Irregular hours
A Wide Network environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 4, 2017
Typical day of work was usually network Administration, Configuration. Hardware troubleshootin.

It was a conducive learning experience, the ICT department is a huge department with several sub-departments and an excellent learning and work space with ICT labs and test networks and several research opportunities.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Limited work time
People I work with are great but pay is horrible
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  New Mexico State UniversityJune 2, 2017
Employees are overworked and not compensated for the work they do. The morale is super low since I have worked here. The benefits are great. The people I work for are super. The compensation is not very good I can go work at another University and get more pay and have less responsibility.
Benefits
Cons
Not enough pay
summery
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMay 23, 2017
it was a good job to have if in school, it allows you to get homework done and interact with all the different people on campus that you would normally just walk by and ignore.
Fun and educational place to work
GRADUATE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMay 17, 2017
As a graduate assistant this place was wonderful to work! I had a wonderful boss and worked with other great students. I learned so much from this job and highly recommend being a grad asst at NMSU in the ag dept.
4 month Internship as Interim Ag. Agent: how fun!
Intern (Former Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMMay 10, 2017
I spent most of my time doing research for the public that came to my office with questions about their plants or animals. I was able to meet so many kind people in the community and they made me feel very appreciated for the work I did there. I loved having my own office and having the ability to work on things at my leisure- I didn't always have a task to do but when I did I was quick to get it done. In the downtime, I would just do research on local plants and pests. I was able to work with kids which is fulfilling for me and I got to work with animals as well. I loved working here for the brief time that I did.
Pros
Hours are 8-5 unless there are special occasions, private office, everything is provided
Cons
Unpaid