New Mexico State University Employee Reviews

Excellent place to deal with different kind of people
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 20, 2017
As a Teacher Assistant in New Mexico State University I was able to meet people from different parts off the world and also to solve problems that they may have
Pros
Improvement off time management's skills
Professors are amazing
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 20, 2017
I used to work at NMSU as a graduate assistant. The whole department was a pleasant work environment. The professors are some of the most amazing thinkers I've known.
Pros
Professors and admin staff are nice
Cons
Benefits are not that great
Productive enviornment focused on student learning.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 17, 2017
Land-grant university, serving the educational needs of New Mexico’s diverse population through comprehensive programs of education, research, extension education, and public service.
NMSU Research Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 15, 2017
This was an exceptional place to work and provided great opportunities to challenge my mental capacity. During my time here, I developed fundamental laboratory skills in plant pathology.
Very good with there employees
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  New MexicoJune 7, 2017
NMSU does an excellent job at facilitating the skills and needs of their work force. The human resources are readily available when needed and do not cause any additional stresses to the job.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Irregular hours
A Wide Network environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 4, 2017
Typical day of work was usually network Administration, Configuration. Hardware troubleshootin.

It was a conducive learning experience, the ICT department is a huge department with several sub-departments and an excellent learning and work space with ICT labs and test networks and several research opportunities.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Limited work time
People I work with are great but pay is horrible
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  New Mexico State UniversityJune 2, 2017
Employees are overworked and not compensated for the work they do. The morale is super low since I have worked here. The benefits are great. The people I work for are super. The compensation is not very good I can go work at another University and get more pay and have less responsibility.
Benefits
Cons
Not enough pay
summery
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMay 23, 2017
it was a good job to have if in school, it allows you to get homework done and interact with all the different people on campus that you would normally just walk by and ignore.
Fun and educational place to work
GRADUATE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMay 17, 2017
As a graduate assistant this place was wonderful to work! I had a wonderful boss and worked with other great students. I learned so much from this job and highly recommend being a grad asst at NMSU in the ag dept.
4 month Internship as Interim Ag. Agent: how fun!
Intern (Former Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMMay 10, 2017
I spent most of my time doing research for the public that came to my office with questions about their plants or animals. I was able to meet so many kind people in the community and they made me feel very appreciated for the work I did there. I loved having my own office and having the ability to work on things at my leisure- I didn't always have a task to do but when I did I was quick to get it done. In the downtime, I would just do research on local plants and pests. I was able to work with kids which is fulfilling for me and I got to work with animals as well. I loved working here for the brief time that I did.
Pros
Hours are 8-5 unless there are special occasions, private office, everything is provided
Cons
Unpaid
Enjoyable works with students
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMApril 24, 2017
Great job environment, works with student schedule and has a great link to the community and advancement in the local area and other universities. Great opportunity to network.
Easy job for a day
Commencement Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMApril 24, 2017
There are various jobs that a person can be assigned, but my job was to guide graduates to there designated lines for entering the Pan Am Center. I learned how to communicate with people who don't speak English fluently. The workplace was pretty laid back. Nothing about the job was hard. The most enjoyable part was that it was just a day long job.
Operations and Video Coordinator
Camp Director and Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMApril 11, 2017
I loved my time working at New Mexico State. I went to two NCAA Tournaments appearances. I worked with some of the best people I've ever come across. I loved it. It was chaotic during the season and laid-back in the offseason.
Pros
Great team chemistry
Cons
No growth
Outstanding University, Great professors
Front end Interface website developer (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMApril 8, 2017
Outstanding University, Was given the opportunity to learn and train on a variety of jobs. Worked well with management.I was a part time employee since I was a student at the time. The job was enjoyable and I worked well with others.
Pros
Very Good Learning University
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMApril 4, 2017
Get to work with many graduate students and professors. There's some field work as well as data compiling and analyzing, so you get to learn a lot. Salary is great.
A strong public university in southern New Mexico
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMApril 1, 2017
NMSU's Astronomy department is a strong department with knowledgable faculty who work hard to ensure the success of their students. The program is well structured to give students the skills and knowledge they need for a career in both academia and industry.
Visiting Faculty
Visiting Professor Department of Criminal Justice (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 27, 2017
New Mexico State University criminal justice department is very supportive making sure I had the equipment and all I needed to complete my job. Questions were answered and professional development available.
I was an undergraduate student
Anthropology Student (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 7, 2017
Typical day of being a student, is time management. My days consisted of attending lecture, doing research at the library, writing papers & proposals, studying for four classes a day and keeping up with also being a parent.
Pros
Learning
Cons
No jobs after graduation
Hard working environment with great coworkers
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 6, 2017
This is a great place to work if you are looking for an academic environment. Superiors are kind and supportive while at the same time expect a lot out of employees. I was pushed past my comfort zone and learned a lot at this position.
Loyalty Works Both Ways
Senior Public Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 4, 2017
Management expects loyalty to NMSU, however employees who have worked for many years at NMSU are not treated as the loyal workers they are, rather they are being cut.