New Mexico State University Employee Reviews

Best Engineering College
Electronic Engineer (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMApril 23, 2015
They are well equipped with electronic instruments and friendly people to work with. I mostly worked on high voltage designs and amplifiers. The hard part of the job was to build what they exactly needed, even though they don't have a good idea what they want. So I had to interview several peoples in the group to understand what they want and according to their requirements system had been built. Which is a success.
Pros
Good community, knowledgeable people
Relaxed and Family Oriented
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMAugust 17, 2015
Working here was very laid back. I enjoyed the people and the students. Most of the day is spent walking around being visible to answer questions and securing the building at the end of the night. My family was able to come by and see me while at work without interfering with operations.
corrupt
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las cruces, NMOctober 3, 2015
Huge favoritism for Hispanics women over Caucasians. The University needs a revamp with from the top to bottom. Less diversified and can't hold onto valuable assets. The university has lot of internal politics.
Pros
cheap place to live
Cons
corrupt
I am a graduate assistant. I love my job. The pay is low for most universities and you have to pay for your tuition which comes out of your salary.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  ChemistryJune 25, 2015
As a graduate assistant, I enjoy the faculty, students and fellow graduate students. The pay is low and you have to pay your own tuition out of your teaching salary.
Pros
Excellent Department Chair
Cons
low pay
Research job at NMSU
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 4, 2015
I am a Research Assistant working on a Dept of Energy project for my PhD. This is a temporary job to support my PhD.
The work place is friendly and infrastructure available but since its a temporary job it does not have a long term future.The hardest part of a research job like this is to think innovatively for a meaningful contribution through my PhD to the research community which is also the most enjoyable part as I perform better with challenges.
Flexible
Jornada Experimental Range (internship) (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 21, 2015
work starts and end each day is quite flexible and a lot of areas to work off campus to get tasks done for the department. was able to work on the experimental range as well as the office that created a lot of excitement in the jobs that I did there.
Pros
diversity in tasks
Cons
was an internship so certain things lacked
Great Workplace
COMPUTER LAB CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMDecember 28, 2015
Learned how to manage and supervise staff
Maintained professional and working relationships
Acquired skills to pursue a career
Great job to have while still in University
Student Assistant in Program Development (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJanuary 20, 2015
A typical day included creating labs and code for in class and distance education students. Working with the professor to teach classes and to develop new things using VHDL, Assembly, Altera, Java, and working with various AC/DC circuits and building rockets.

The job was steady and worked well with my classes.
Pros
Great Schedule, Great Job, Fun, Interesting
Cons
Low Pay
A conducive work and study place with a double-screen computers
Research Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMDecember 22, 2014
It is well organized and esteemed University. It is the only land-grant university to be identified by the federal government as a Hispanic-Serving Institution and also a Carnegie Research-Extensive institution. Students are encouraged to undertake their own research projects during the course of their academic career.
Pros
ambient for studying
Cons
70 percent health insurance
great work environment
Housing and Residence life associates (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMSeptember 22, 2014
: Labor- Sweeps, mops, polishes and performs restorative/interim floor and carpet maintenance in rooms and halls. Dusts and/or polishes furniture, blinds and equipment. Empties trash receptacles and bags trash for proper disposal. Cleans restrooms and fills dispensers. Vacuums, spot cleans rugs, carpets, and furniture. Reports malfunctions of bathroom fixtures, light fixtures and/or damages to the interior of buildings i.e. walls, floors, ceilings, windows, furnishings, doors, locks, bathroom dispensers, graffiti etc. to supervisor. Stocks area with appropriate supplies. Locks and unlocks doors as directed. Initiates work orders for repair/maintenance. Moves furniture, equipment or fixtures as required.
Multiple great experiences
Communications, Outreach, Project Director, Web (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJanuary 22, 2014
New Mexico State University is a great place to work in Las Cruces. Since I was staff, most of my work was grant funded. This had both a pro and a con, as funding changes had me changing positions and learning new roles. The downside of course in that situation is a lack of security.

I worked with students with disabilities, managed events, researched for grants, and worked at the Arrowhead Entrepreneurial Institute in Business Planning
Pros
many experiences
Cons
little security for staff
Knowledge enhancement,good benefits, job security
Groundskeeper II (Former Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMMay 10, 2012
I worked at NMSU for approx. 17 years.I expanded my knowledge, had great benefits,met wonderful and interesting people and always knew that I had job security. The most difficulty I had with the job was the physical aspect(I was a groundskeeper) and at times it was very frustrating communicating with management about getting supplies.
Pros
free tuition, medical benefits, annual and sick leave, friendly atmosphere
Cons
communicating with management at times, obtaining supplies
Great atmosphere
Workstudy (Current Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMMay 23, 2012
A typical day at work included helping anywhere from 18-120 students a day. I learned how to be patient with people whom are angry or upset. We also work with disability students, so I learned to work with them as well. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with who seen what student and what students still needed help. I loved being able to help students with different tasks. I really enjoyed when I got positive feedback from the students that I helped. All of my co-workers were very down to Earth and easy to talk to.
Productive, fun, learn new things
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMAugust 7, 2013
Managing marine aquarium tanks currently with NMSU has been exciting. I never knew that such a program existed even while I was studying for my degree. There is a comfortable work environment, and with each new individual that arrives, the current people always make you feel as part of the team. Scheduling certain duties can sometimes become difficult, but are quickly remedied. The hardest part of the job is keeping all the equipment running efficiently with the limited amount of resources given. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people I work with.
Fast-paced social services environment.
NM Works Career Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 7, 2015
The NM Works program gave me the opportunity to serve folks who might otherwise not get their basic needs met. Managing a hundred plus people was a challenge, but staying organized was the key to staying ahead of the constant new cases.
A typical day at work
Administrative Assistant, NMSU (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 20, 2014
Our Strengthening Families Initiative office is not only a place of employment, but an office where the atmosphere is friendliness. Working with 10 co-workers for the past 7 years has been a learning experience for me. We work with Family Wellness program, bringing Healthy Marriages and family unification to the families in the community of Las Cruces. I enjoy coming to work everyday, because we strive to improve and promote seff-suffiency in the lives of families. Our work ethic is genuine and we deliver a wonderful curricula in order to improve the family dynamics. We all work together as a team and learn from each other everyday by communicating and putting our best foot forward at all times.
Pros
Communitication, Team-players, Healthy Workplace
Fun work place
Multi-Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMApril 11, 2014
As a student employee, the day to day meant imaging computers, installation of projectors, PCs, speakers, filming regent meetings. I learned a lot about electronics and basic troubleshooting needed for the job. The co-workers are a fun team to work with. The hardest part of the job would be terminating coaxial cables. i enjoyed the building of the teach stations from scratch.
Pros
learn a lot
Cons
bosses like to micromanage
Interactive work environment that allowed continuous learning
Financial Literacy Coach (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 3, 2013
Meeting with my supervisor weekly allowed me self-start every workday as I knew what was expected and tasks that needed to be done. I was then able to manage my time according to tasks.Part of this position was to work alongside another Financial Literacy Coach. Together we made discussed, weighed options, and made decisions.
During this time I learned a substantial amount about financial literacy and its' importance in impacting students' decisions that will effect them in the future.
Although challenging, helping students see that they must begin taking care of their finances early in their lives was rewarding. They could now use tools my team gave them to build financial stability.
University Education
Acct. 451 & Acct. 460 (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces,NMJune 6, 2015
A typical day at work was going in early to work and coming out late. I learned to work harder than my peers, in which became a passion for enjoying being the hardest worker in the accounting field.
Pros
Can perform independently and accurately with minimum supervisor
Cons
Less family time with newborn
Great opportunity for graduate students
Marketing Research Assistant/Graduate Instructor (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMApril 16, 2012
New Mexico State University's School of Business offered many work-study programs for graduate students to utilize their skills and education in various departments. I was assigned to the marketing department, where I gained experience with marketing research, database management and analysis, technical writing, and teaching.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Mexico State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3