New Orleans Police Department Employee Reviews

great job
Police Techn / legal analyst (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 29, 2016
I have worked for the police dept. for 8 years now. I have met great people and my learning experience has been exceptional. I will take what I have learned from this job and take it far with me.
Pros
great job expereince
Cons
pay is horrible
Actually a pretty good place
Police Tech Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 8, 2016
This was actually my favorite job. It had it's problem but the thing with a job like this is you have to have the desire for it. If you are doing a job like this for money you are doing it wrong. You will hate it and you won't get paid.
Pros
no day is the same
Cons
low pay, not appericated, long hours
I learned a lot working here.
Office Assistant II (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 15, 2015
I learned a lot working for the police department. I had a great experience over there. I actually looked forward to going to work everyday.
Good Police Officers
Police Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 23, 2015
The NOPD is staffed by excellent police officers and line supervisors. The command staff has it's bright spots but the political influence from the Mayor's office creates very poor leadership. The Chief is unable to lead the department the way it should be run.
Pleasurable atmosphere
Police Technician (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 20, 2015
Police Technicians had to prioritize their daily workload. Depending on the severity of the case, determined how soon reports had to be processed.
Pros
great benefits, great co-workers, great hours
Cons
pay rate
A stressful work environment
Police Officer II (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LouisianaMay 6, 2015
The New Orleans Police Department is going through hard times. They are unable to retain the Officers they have due to poor salary.
Good Expereince
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  new orleans,laFebruary 23, 2015
Great place to gain knowledge of law enforcement. As with any job leadership plays a big role in your experience there.

It is a department that is rebuilding
Great learning Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  118 City Park AveJanuary 27, 2015
A typical day at work would be dealing with the public. You learn how people in society function and how to deal with heir problems. I now Manage about 68 people. My co-workers are pretty good people for the most part. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the problems of the general public but I enjoy doing it. The most enjoyable part of the job is the self satification of serving the public.
Depends
Police Complaint Operator (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 28, 2014
officer route has potential to earn extra money with overtime and details
communications section- you get tossed around on any one of the five shifts, your days off aren't always secured, they tell you last minute of changes, management is comprised of all "work the way up" ladies, none of which have a college degree. If you disagree and are professional in dealing with the issue, you are talked down too. Communications is good for those who are divorced without kids, and or waiting for an academy class to start.
Pros
holiday pay, 8hr workdays
Cons
staff, co-workers, schedule, pay
Fast-paced and good learning experience
Detective (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 30, 2014
Fast-paced work environment and excellent place to learn police work.
it was interesting and dangersous
Police Officer IV (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 1, 2014
The work day was hectic at times but ok overall. The co-workers did their jobs in a professional manner.
Job Security, Great Benefits
Police Technician II (Administrative / Clerk) (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 11, 2014
Great job security and amazing benefits make this job enjoyable.

The hardest part of the job is old equipment, trying to service those who need help but so many important things are very outdated.
Pros
paid sick and holidays
Worked as a narcoics officer.
Special Weapons and Tactics Officer (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 13, 2013
The Orleans Police Department was a fun organization to work for. The department provided an ever changing environment.
Pros
ever changing work environment, great co-workers
Cons
promotions were slow and benifits were left desired
Work place is rewarding after a subordinate learns a skill taught to him/her and uses that skill in a case to bring that case to a close.
District Investigative Unit Commander (Former Employee) –  334 Royal Street, New Orleans, La. 70130July 15, 2013
Payroll of employees, review the past days activity then assign the cases to the case investigator for follow up investigation. Review cases that have been assigned for progress and developments. Meet with my supervisor to give him/her updates and progress on open cases. Work with detectives to guide him/her with the follow up of the case assignement in the area of development of subordinates.

The hardest part and most enjoyable part of the day is after teaching the subordinate the skill then watch him/her do the job and wait for the result(s).

When I am developing the subordinate it is important to make sure that everyone on the team is part of the training and takes part in the execution of the plan leading to the closure of the case.
Pros
clearing a case(s), identifying the criminal element
Cons
long hours which are not compensated.
Neutral
Police Recruit (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 21, 2013
It is what it is. Good benefits. Some people love you, some people hate you. It's the nature of the job.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Exciting job where everyday was different. I enjoyed helping people and serving and protecting the public.
Police Officer II (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 19, 2013
Everyday was an adventure. No two days are the same. I answered calls for service, emergency and non emergency. I had the opportunity to work in specialized units such as the district attorney;s office, narcotics task force and as the quality of life officer of the second district. I acquired different aspects of the job which helped me grow as a person and a police officer. I worked wekk with all my co workers and was fortunate to not bring my work or work issues at home. The best part of my job was making a difference in the community.
Pros
always an adventure
Cons
not enough compensation for the job that was done
Great employer
Task Force Officer (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 26, 2012
Great place to work with good benefits. Great employees and everyone was treated fairly.
Pros
employees, benefits and salary
Cons
salary
Productive with great work experience.
Police Officer II (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 1, 2012
I enjoy being a police officer, but for me I want a change in my life. The Police Department has provided me with great education and knowledge to continue in my current passion for Business Administrative employment.
Civil service protection
Executive Assistant to Deputy Superintendent (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 19, 2012
Protect life and property of city residents and tourists via vehicle and foot patrol, uphold laws and codes of the State of Louisiana and the City of New Orleans, assist Investigative Divisions with obtaining surveillance video and still photos from video, receive, copy, organize and submit all written reports from the district to the record room. Compile, organize and distribute COMSTAT information to the Police Superintendent.
Unpredicticable work enviornment.
POLICE OFFICER II (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LouisianaAugust 14, 2012
A typical day at work consists of assisting people with various calls for service. I obtained various skills through my short career that would make a valuable assest to any company that would need my services.
Pros
fast paced
Cons
dangerous

New Orleans Police Department Reviews by Location