New Orleans Police Department Employee Reviews

productive workplace with good benefits
Detective Investigator (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 6, 2017
A typical day at work entailed criminal investigations and prevention of crime by doing stake outs. I enjoyed working with the police department for 30 years.
benefits
Fast paced
Homicide Investigator (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 9, 2017
When not overworked and under staffed, the New Orleans Police Department is a great place to work. You are given the opportunity to serve and protect the citizens of New Orleans.
Law Enforcement
Information Processor Operator, Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 23, 2017
Working for this department was rewarding, however on various occasions dealing with the public I encountered some difficult citizens. I worked for a new department, I truly enjoyed building the department from the ground up.
Pros
Working within my department, as well as other departments.
Cons
working with difficult individuals.
Administrative Analyst I (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 22, 2017
Great place to work... Great Leaders are at NOPD despite all the stories you hear. This is a family oriented place. I learned a lot to get me where I am today from NOPD.
Fast paced
Police Officer III (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 20, 2017
The job is very fast paced. You will stay busy. I'm still in touch with many of my former co-workers and they were the best group of people that I have ever worked with.
You have to love this job to do it well, and be smart about it!
Police Lieutenant (Retired) (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 16, 2017
I retired in 2009 after 28 years, but I loved every minute of my job, even the scary ones. If you are willing to run towards the fire and risk your life for your community, then by all means become a police officer. The current atmosphere towards police is changing back to a positive light, but it has been rough lately.
Pros
Serving your Community
Cons
Long hours, but rewarding.
Was a great job with great people. Pay was low by national standards.
Investigator (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 8, 2017
Toward the end of my carrier I was in the Intelligence unit. It was interesting work.

Prior to that I was in the special victim's unit where I was the lead investigator on several hundred cases. We were responsible for the cases from the initial contact with the victim to assisting in the prosecution of it. I enjoyed this assignment.

I never had a problem with supervisors on the police department. All of the rules were there, in writing.

The most challenging part of being an officer was dealing with hurt kids and elderly people.

I had the most fun when I was assigned to the mounted unit. The horses were great.
major police department
Lieutenant Commander (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 12, 2016
excellent opportunity to grow, learn and sharpen your law enforcement skills. excellent benefits, job security through civil service, life long career with excellent pension.
Pros
pay and benifits
Being a team leader and helping the citizens of the city of New Orleans.
Law Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 17, 2016
There is no such thing of routine day at work. My job, often times, consist of reviewing and assisting my coworkers with work related issues. Issues that only a veteran of 15 years will have knowledge about. My management rely on me to train subordinates and assist tourist in the first step of any problems that they may have.

The hardest part of my job is when I come to a dead end. When I arrive at a point that I can no longer help the caller. The part of my job I enjoy the most is when i can assure tourist of their safety.
Pros
Working with people I trained that I know is competent.
Cons
Never really knowing what to expect on a day to day bases.
Good place to learn efficient policing
Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 1, 2016
Good place to experience public safety and its relationship to shape public opinion. Great opportunity for advancement in law enforcement while earning a living wage.
Pros
promotional opportunities
Cons
High turnover rate do to unrealistic expectations of employer
Productive department. Loved training.
POLICE COMPLAINT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 2, 2016
A typical work day at the New Orleans Police Department as a 911-Operator/Trainer was very busy. Calls constantly came into the 911-center for emergency and non-emergency calls. The thought of helping someone who needed assistance was rewarding. I learned patience answering 911 calls.

The hardest part of my job was feeling helpless when someone had a real emergency, until help arrived to them.

The most enjoyable part of my job was training new employees and helping the public.
Pros
Helping the public.
Cons
The stress of hearing emergency calls.
great job
Police Techn / legal analyst (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 29, 2016
I have worked for the police dept. for 8 years now. I have met great people and my learning experience has been exceptional. I will take what I have learned from this job and take it far with me.
Pros
great job expereince
Cons
pay is horrible
Actually a pretty good place
Police Tech Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 8, 2016
This was actually my favorite job. It had it's problem but the thing with a job like this is you have to have the desire for it. If you are doing a job like this for money you are doing it wrong. You will hate it and you won't get paid.
Pros
no day is the same
Cons
low pay, not appericated, long hours
I learned a lot working here.
Office Assistant II (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 15, 2015
I learned a lot working for the police department. I had a great experience over there. I actually looked forward to going to work everyday.
Good Police Officers
Police Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 23, 2015
The NOPD is staffed by excellent police officers and line supervisors. The command staff has it's bright spots but the political influence from the Mayor's office creates very poor leadership. The Chief is unable to lead the department the way it should be run.
Pleasurable atmosphere
Police Technician (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 20, 2015
Police Technicians had to prioritize their daily workload. Depending on the severity of the case, determined how soon reports had to be processed.
Pros
great benefits, great co-workers, great hours
Cons
pay rate
A stressful work environment
Police Officer II (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LouisianaMay 6, 2015
The New Orleans Police Department is going through hard times. They are unable to retain the Officers they have due to poor salary.
Good Expereince
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  new orleans,laFebruary 23, 2015
Great place to gain knowledge of law enforcement. As with any job leadership plays a big role in your experience there.

It is a department that is rebuilding
Great learning Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  118 City Park AveJanuary 27, 2015
A typical day at work would be dealing with the public. You learn how people in society function and how to deal with heir problems. I now Manage about 68 people. My co-workers are pretty good people for the most part. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the problems of the general public but I enjoy doing it. The most enjoyable part of the job is the self satification of serving the public.
Depends
Police Complaint Operator (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 28, 2014
officer route has potential to earn extra money with overtime and details
communications section- you get tossed around on any one of the five shifts, your days off aren't always secured, they tell you last minute of changes, management is comprised of all "work the way up" ladies, none of which have a college degree. If you disagree and are professional in dealing with the issue, you are talked down too. Communications is good for those who are divorced without kids, and or waiting for an academy class to start.
Pros
holiday pay, 8hr workdays
Cons
staff, co-workers, schedule, pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Orleans Police Department. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval