New Penn Motor Express

New Penn Motor Express Employee Reviews

Busy typical day
Billing Associate (Current Employee) –  W Springfield, MAFebruary 5, 2017
I will walk in punch in ,sign into my computer and start my day, ill wait until bills come in to type them onto the computer and after organize the paperwork and send it out as soon as its done. until then ill answer phones taking customers request and questions
good place to work
W&I Specialist (Current Employee) –  Elkridge, MDFebruary 3, 2017
Inspect freight for about 5 hours and coding (data entry) for about 3 hours. Learned the National Motor Freight Classification System and How to perform as a Freight Inspector for an LTL Freight company.
Pros
People, co-workers
There is nothing I dont like about New Oenn
W&I Inspector , Billing (Current Employee) –  East Syracuse, NYFebruary 2, 2017
I absolutely enjoy working for New Penn even though it is only part time . I look forward to going to work there everyday . The drivers are very hard workers . The office staff is fantastic to work with on a daily bases .
Good work environment
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Cinnaminson, NJJanuary 24, 2017
Good place to work and friendly work environment. Since day one everyone is very helpful. I have worked the dock as well as hit the street driving. No complaints at all.
Pros
Free health benefits, pension and OT after 8 hours.
Cons
Have not found one yet!!!
nice place to work
Forklift Operator/Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYJanuary 20, 2017
This is a great company to work for , employees are good hardworking people management is helpful and fair, warehouse is clean safety is #1 priority. Love this job.
Pros
don't have to work weekends
Cons
forklift operators don't get raises.
productive busy workplace
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PANovember 18, 2016
Great experience working with the Administrative Assistance as part of my job to help them out. I enjoyed working with the National Account Reps and customers.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
travel
Driver (Current Employee) –  Mercerville, NJNovember 14, 2016
Good place to work plenty of work lots of overtime people are friendly and very helpful. When you first start out your on the dock for awhile but after a few month you can be out on the street
Cons
Productive , fun working environment, somewhat fast paced but nothing you cant keep up with
Coding and billing (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PAOctober 27, 2016
Great place to work , fun friendly enviroment , working together as a team , frustrating at times but what job isnt? Can be fast paced and a little overwhelming at times but nothing we cant handle. Great co workers, management, always working to make new penn a better place
New Penn Express
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PASeptember 12, 2016
Union workshop undergoing changes in safety culture and customer service. the terminal I was involved with did a very good job with safety and customer service but improvements need to be made in the north east.
Tough World
Driver/Dockmen (Former Employee) –  Mercerville, NJ 08619September 9, 2016
This is a demanding job both mentally and physically. You will encounter all kinds of hostilities from within and on the road. You have to perform and call on numerous customers per day with no sense of direction. You are at their beckon call and they have 1 mission and that is to wring out every last ounce of patience and energy from the employee. The company is not your friend and can originate rules and discipline on any employee any time
The object is to make deals and hope to get a semblance of what you wish for and the environment you will work in
Pros
Home Every Night
Cons
Long Hours Unkept Filthy Environment
N/a
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Billerica, MAAugust 24, 2016
Enjoy the management staff. The Teamsters can be quite challenging. Please talk to me in person if you would like to know anything else.
Job sucks
Experienced truck driver (Former Employee) –  Kearny, NJAugust 22, 2016
Pay is horrible it is a union job so you start at the bottom the list terminal manager sucks and management is horrble senior drivers are quite outgoing and will help you out if you don't know. Dispatch is horrible . I was fired because I had a family emergency in the south Kearny NJ terminal
Hours of work was awesome
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kearny, NJAugust 3, 2016
Lack of communication. Field of work was excellent and easy.
The company pretty much let you set your own schedule longs its a 8hr work day.
Pros
Hours
Cons
lack of communication
Career
Truckmen (Current Employee) –  Mercerville-Hamilton Square, NJJune 23, 2016
Worked for this company for 21 years and watch the quality of the service and the quality of the management decline Wages declined employees lives were damaged Future expectation totally abolishedI is a day to day job with a week to week pay check And a very lengthy work day
Pros
Steady Work, Steady Pay Health Care
Cons
Long Hours Demanding Environment Loss of future benefits
Good pay & benefits and weekends off, but nothing else is good at this company
City P&D Driver (Former Employee) –  East Syracuse, NYJune 9, 2016
Very good pay, benefits & weekends off, but nothing else about this place is good.

Equipment is old, outdated, poorly maintained, and filthy on the inside. Mechanics were understaffed in the terminal I worked in and many of the same old trucks and trailers are in the out of service lot often for the same repairs that were just made.

Because of the union environment many senior drivers treat Jr. drivers like garbage. Many guys act like macho men and everyone seems to only look out for themselves. There are some good guys working here just looking to make a living, but it seems like the union environment breeds laziness and draws in people of low integrity and moral character.

Some senior drivers use their seniority to subsidize their laziness. They can be the worst performing driver in the barn, e.g. call in sick because of getting drunk the night before, refuse to do certain work, etc.. yet, because of their seniority they'll be given preference and a steady bid over someone who works twice as hard.

Incompetent management, constantly passing the buck for their failures. Complete lack of moral-character & integrity. I don't think I've worked with so many lowlifes in 30 yrs in the labor force. It seem as if every other word out of most of the truck driver's and management's mouth is an F-bomb or reference to a perverted joke just so they can appear " edgy "

Routes & Pickups are poorly scheduled to drivers within the areas.
On board communication systems in trucks for loaded and empty calls are horrible & constantly breaking. In the winter time the dock is
  more... colder than the outside temp.

No training, yet you'll be expected to perform in a short time as if you'd been there for yrs. When you start it's very hard to get a steady bid. You'll bounce around forever until someone quits, get's fired, or retires.

You have both the Teamsters dues and a 15% give back because yellow owns them and negotiated a contract for a give back a few years back. In spite of these dues the pay is still very good and other than benefits and weekends off is the only good thing I have to say about this place.

While I did make some good money when they did work me full time, the pay was not worth the stress you had to deal with because of some of the people you had to work with. For me the most enjoyable part of the day was when you went out on the road to do deliveries and punched out at the end of the day.

While I think most of the problems in this place are just the nature of this business, I think many of the problems could be alleviated with a management shakeup. Arrogance seems to radiate from the top in this company like they can do no wrong and the bottom line is the bottom line, regardless of who they have to run through the meat grinder in the process.
Pros
Pay, benefits, Weekends off
Cons
Union, poor equipment, poor management, Jr. drivers treated like garbage, No training
Only work here is it's last resort
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 15, 2016
The pay is 14.00 but there is a 15% giveback which was voted on so actually you make 11.90 hourly. After a few months you will have to join the union. It's $300 and something for initiation fee which is broken down into monthly installments on top of your $33 a month union dues. Management is no good and expects you to work like a dog and not take breaks. New penn does not turn down customers so they get the bad freight. There is no such things as a raise as a part timer. The turnover is very high.
Pros
Cons
Management, Very cold and hot, no breaks, no raises, forklifts break down
Management lacks experience, hiring/raise freeze
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAApril 8, 2016
Most coworkers are great. Management is questionable. Young manager who lacks experience in how to handle employees. There were no raises. They keep firing people or forcing them into retirement. They won't bring in new people. Very frustrating.

Calls are easy, but workload is unimaginable. No overtime approval. You don't get paid if you're stuck on a call past your end time. Not worth what you're paid.
Pros
friendly coworkers
Cons
Too high of expectations with little help from management, no raises
Professional atmosphere. Close group of co-workers, often referred to at the "New Penn family".
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAApril 4, 2016
Hours 8-5 PM, punched a time clock. Worked from a cubicle, all accounts and information were in the AS 400 mainframe system. Called past due customers and resolved issues of non-payment.

I learned to communicate with people and co-workers. Used Excel and Word. Learned all things related to LTL trucking billing and contracts.

Original, local management has now mostly been replaced by parent companies people. This greatly changed the company and lowered my opinion of it.

The job became significantly harder as the parent company cut the work force. Not enough people to do the work.

Succeeding in collecting an account and keeping those customers.
Pros
Health insurance, sick days & vacation time.
Cons
1 hour lunch was too long, Parent company discontinued their contribution to 401K program about 5 years ago.
Very bad stay away
cdl driver (Former Employee) –  Plainville ctDecember 21, 2015
Braking every union rule good old boy brown nose snitch company.you voice your a pinions and you will be black balled followed in the truck and shafted .come on over I love this place!
Worst job i've had in 20yrs in this business
Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 13, 2015
I've been with this company less than 6 mths.and I am trying extremely hard to find any other employment(this co. will ship anything/anytime/anywhere/to anyone) as long as the work gets done. Seniority,the union, mgmt. does not care about u-as long as someone/newbie does the work. You constantly handle damaged freight(deliver to customer & see if they will accept it).Starting Pay HA!U ARE LIED TO/17.65hr.AND u will not get a raise for a year or more--if u get consistent hrs.-it's only because ur doing dirty work/or favors for dispatch(Union members BS for 5Hrs. to get time&1/2 hrs.and will only do what they can get away with--Had I known any of this I would never applied(Trucks are old and dirty/Senior drivers get to pick their favorites)Of the few good ones--they are brainwashed by either time&half or belief that the union will someday rescue them so they settle-so they become "acceptable" to mgmt. and others//STAY CLEAR FOR YOUR HEALTH AND CAREER!!!
Pros
NONE
Cons
PLEASE READ ABOVE 4 YOUR OWN GOOD

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Penn Motor Express. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8