New Penn Motor Express

New Penn Motor Express Employee Reviews

Worst job i've had in 20yrs in this business
Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 13, 2015
I've been with this company less than 6 mths.and I am trying extremely hard to find any other employment(this co. will ship anything/anytime/anywhere/to anyone) as long as the work gets done. Seniority,the union, mgmt. does not care about u-as long as someone/newbie does the work. You constantly handle damaged freight(deliver to customer & see if they will accept it).Starting Pay HA!U ARE LIED TO/17.65hr.AND u will not get a raise for a year or more--if u get consistent hrs.-it's only because ur doing dirty work/or favors for dispatch(Union members BS for 5Hrs. to get time&1/2 hrs.and will only do what they can get away with--Had I known any of this I would never applied(Trucks are old and dirty/Senior drivers get to pick their favorites)Of the few good ones--they are brainwashed by either time&half or belief that the union will someday rescue them so they settle-so they become "acceptable" to mgmt. and others//STAY CLEAR FOR YOUR HEALTH AND CAREER!!!
Pros
NONE
Cons
PLEASE READ ABOVE 4 YOUR OWN GOOD
Good pay and benefits, but nothing else is good.
CDL - A . Local city pick up and delivery driver. (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 9, 2015
Very good pay and benefits, but nothing else. Equipment is old, outdated, poorly maintained, and filthy on the inside.

Because of union environment, senior drivers treat Jr. drivers like garbage, many guys act like macho men, and everyone seems to only look out for themselves.

Not all, but many senior drivers use their seniority to subsidize their laziness. They can be the worst performing driver in the barn, e.g. call in sick, refuse to do certain work,.. etc.. but yet, because of their seniority, they'll be given preference over someone who works twice as hard.

Horrible management, constantly passing the buck for their failures.
No training. Everyone other word out of truck drivers and management's mouth is an F-bomb.

Routes and Pickups are poorly scheduled to drivers within the areas.
Communication systems for loaded and empty calls are horrible and constantly breaking.

In the winter time, Dock is colder than the outside temp. .
You have both the Teamsters dues, and a 15% give back because yellow owns them and negotiated a contract for a give back a few years back.

When you start it's very hard to get a steady bid. You'll bounce around forever until someone quits, get's fired, or retires.
While I did make some good money when they did work me full time, the pay was not worth the stress you had to deal with.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Outdated equipment, poorly managed, union environment/ senior drivers treat jr. drivers like garbage
good part time work
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Dunmore, PASeptember 26, 2015
A nice place to earn some extra cash. Flexible hours, great management, good people. No benefits, but again - this isn't a career - It's to balance out another part time, or full time job. I enjoy working for New Penn!!
First Day
dock worker (Former Employee) –  troy nyAugust 25, 2015
Learned to drive forklift

Teamwork was a key value of this company and attention to detail

IT is a pretty fast paced place to work

management just needs an upgrade
Great place to work as long as your there to work.
Longshoreman (Former Employee) –  Maspeth, NYAugust 4, 2015
New Penn is a great company. A day at work is as you make it. Do your job positively and everything is great. Not all workers are there to work but as long as you are its great. The hardest part of the job is seeing how other workers time waste lollygag and do the bare minimum.
Pros
Great Bosses and staff.
Cons
Salary cuts.
The best LTL carrier in the business
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJune 8, 2015
New Penn is a company that knows the LTL business.Even with the YRC "anchor" around our necks, we continue to thrive in the business. The work here is not that hard for a freight carrier. A lot of palletized goods and the hand freight is not that difficult. Benefits....what can I say. You pay a month's union dues (52.50) for some of the best coverage you can still get for that monthly price. Think about it, benefits and great pay. A combination rarely still found. Definitely a place to stake your claim. Believe me, like a dummy, I left and came back. There is no better CDL job out there....BELIEVE ME!!
Pros
pay, benefits, work culture
Cons
being on call, but bid stsrt times come available
Good place to work in
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Puerto RicoMarch 7, 2015
Only reason for leaving is to relocate to the Melbourne general area with the rest of my family. Supervision is very modern.
Pros
nice work place
Cons
puerto rico unstable economy
typical, brutal freight environment
Terminal Manager (Former Employee) –  cranston,riJanuary 30, 2015
Field operations is highly demanding and leadership above direct field level is disconnected and lacks the desire/effort to understand issues and come up with solutions. The standard solution is to hammer field operations without listening to concerns and obstacles.
Best at freight
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYJanuary 18, 2015
New penn can get it there on time but the terminals are ran at free reign as long as the numbers are good people can do as they please.
Pros
good people
Cons
no breaks
good job
driver / platform worker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 19, 2014
long days, physical work, compensated well, good employees.
Fast paced union environment.
Casual City / Road Driver / Dockworker (Former Employee) –  Neville Island, PANovember 22, 2014
A normal day in the city started between 7am and 9am. First, you would load your deliveries onto your truck, using forklift or manual pallet jack, planning your route as you go. then do a thorough pre-trip inspection on your truck, get fuel, and get out on the road and start making deliveries. After most or all of your deliveries were made, dispatch would call you or send you a message to call them and dispatch would give you pick-ups to make. After you made your pick-ups, you go back to the warehouse and unload your pick-ups onto the dock, turn in all paperwork, fill out any necessary reports. Then (just when you thought that you were done for the day) you go back out on the dock and begin loading the "outbound" loads for that day, you finish around 9-11pm. A normal day on the road starts between 7pm and 11pm. You start by loading your radio box and overnight bag into the tractor, do a pre-trip inspection, and leave the terminal when your load is finished loading (cut). Drive 500-600 miles with possible stops at regional terminals to drop one load and pick up another. New Penn operates mostly East and Northeast of Pittsburgh, PA. The work is hard at this place. So, if you don't want to work long hours or to run out your logbook everyday, this is not the place for you.
Pros
union wages.
Cons
it could take years to gain seniority (a permanent, full-time, union protected position). you must pay union dues when not protected by the union.
Fun Coworkers and very helpful
biller (Former Employee) –  Maspeth NyOctober 30, 2014
Formerly employee at the Maspeth terminal. September 2014. Good co workers. Never in the I terview explain to you that the time you doing billing. Has a very old system to do billing. In one week they want to bill as fast as you can. You cannot even use a mouse. The system is from the 1990. At 40th day of being working there you have to join the union. You have to give to them 15% of your salary. They let me go at my 38th day of being working there.
Pros
good co workers. good hours to make extra income
Cons
no recognition on your effort s to learn.
co-workers & management never on the same page
Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Billerica, MAOctober 15, 2014
It is hard to work for a company were the co-workers & management dont work together to achieve the end result.
Fast paced, yes- office drama, ohhhhhh yeah!
Customer service rep (Former Employee) –  Williamsville,nyOctober 8, 2014
Since day one, this company plays favorites.
Management is part of the "ol boys choir" - (google it)
Complaints fall on deaf ears, and then get turned around and against you.
Almost EVERY person in office has been brought down to tears at one time or another.
That's the number one reason for big turn over in office.
Pros
money is decent
Cons
verbal and mental abuse not worth the money
Combo Driver/Dock (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYJuly 29, 2014
Here is the scoop- New Penn, a regional division of YRCW, is a good place to work but there is some things you need to know.

1- Its Teamsters. $400 initial buy in to the union than 2.5 times your hourly rate of pay once a month for dues.

2. Seniority- Everything is on this, everything. When you start you will start at the bottom of the list. You will work in Troy, NY starting on a 130p shift after a brief orientation.

3. Pay is 85% of the NMFA which right now is $17.65 per hour (this is the starting rate including the 85%). Then you have to give back 15% of your weekly pay through March of 2019 as "equity wages". You get overtime after 8hrs in a day not just 40 in a week. Takes 3 full years to get top rate. Which is over $22 an hour.

4. Your only guaranteed 8 hrs a day. OT is a plus.

5. Free family health care. You pay no out of pocket expenses for family or individual health care. Includes hospitalization, dental, prescription drug and vision.

6. No weekends, No Major Holidays. 1 week vacation after a year which is suppose to be 40-45 hrs at your hourly rate of pay.

7. 40 cent raises through 2019 starting in 2016 but you take 15% off that too.

8. Pension.. its bad right now. No contributions for 5 years on the companys part. However you can start your own 401k through a brokerage of your choice and self fund it.

9. High miles on every truck and trailers are wore out. Some trucks do really have 1 million miles or more on them.

10. Expect to work the dock everyday and every night. Everyone does it. You load your own truck and you take your own equipment out everynight.
  more... Pallet Jacks, Hand Trucks, Load Bars etc. Company provided.  less
Pros
free health insurance
Cons
15% give back
no job security
Driver/Dock (Current Employee) –  Williamsville, NYJune 12, 2014
the owners have our pensions on hold, we had to lose vacation time give up raises so they wouldn't go bankrupt.
Pros
good insurance
Cons
company possibly closing
Mehh..
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJune 9, 2014
the job was temporary and they failed to tell me that at the time of hiring. for about 3 months straight i worked monday though friday 5pm til the work was done. managers didnt care much about keeping your job. Truck drivers were favored over us dock workers so they got work first. the most idiotic thing was that they demanded me to join the union or i couldn't work. so i joined, 3 weeks later they told me there was no more work for me, IE: "let go". Why tell me to do something major like join the Teamsters if your plan wasn't to keep me. would of been a good job if i was on the forklift all day like the truck drivers and if they kept me.
Pros
semi-laided back, friendly workers, fork lifts
Cons
temperature was outside weather, management, union fiasco
being able to stay home with my children
Billing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Billerica, MAApril 29, 2014
Love working at night so I could stay home with my young
children
Flexible hours good pay
Learning a marketable skill
Pros
being at home with my children during the day
Excellent career choice for professionals
Professional (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, PAApril 5, 2014
I chose New Penn over another job offer because I preferred the management, company environment, and growth potential described to me during the interview process -- and it was a great decision. I've found professional, highly skilled managers, collaborative and helpful colleagues, and a very positive working environment.

My position is both challenging and enjoyable. This company has invested substantial resources in providing me opportunities to gain new skills. New Penn is also continually evaluating and working toward improvements. Although most companies have these goals on paper, I see action here.

No job is completely perfect, but I couldn't imagine being at a better company at this point in my life. I feel like I'm a valued part of a team with an important mission. I would recommend New Penn to any professional who likes a challenge, wants to grow, and values the integrity and choices of the management they work for.
Pros
challenging, growth oriented, professional, highly skilled managers and colleagues, a positive working environment
Cons
too minor to mention
Fast pace & more of a self-starter
W&I Coordinator / Inbound Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maspeth, NYApril 3, 2014
Inspect outbound and Inbound shipments that were picked up on a daily basis and ensure that there are in the right class with the NMFC classifications. I Also walk the dock and check all P&D trailers to ensure that the freight is loaded in the proper position so that the delivery driver would have a productive day.