New Penn Motor Express

New Penn Motor Express Employer Reviews

Fast paced union environment.
Casual City / Road Driver / Dockworker (Former Employee), Neville Island, PANovember 22, 2014
Pros: union wages.
Cons: it could take years to gain seniority (a permanent, full-time, union protected position). you must pay union dues when not protected by the union.
A normal day in the city started between 7am and 9am. First, you would load your deliveries onto your truck, using forklift or manual pallet jack, planning your route as you go. then do a thorough pre-trip inspection on your truck, get fuel, and get out on the road and start making deliveries. After most or all of your deliveries were made, dispatch – more... would call you or send you a message to call them and dispatch would give you pick-ups to make. After you made your pick-ups, you go back to the warehouse and unload your pick-ups onto the dock, turn in all paperwork, fill out any necessary reports. Then (just when you thought that you were done for the day) you go back out on the dock and begin loading the "outbound" loads for that day, you finish around 9-11pm. A normal day on the road starts between 7pm and 11pm. You start by loading your radio box and overnight bag into the tractor, do a pre-trip inspection, and leave the terminal when your load is finished loading (cut). Drive 500-600 miles with possible stops at regional terminals to drop one load and pick up another. New Penn operates mostly East and Northeast of Pittsburgh, PA. The work is hard at this place. So, if you don't want to work long hours or to run out your logbook everyday, this is not the place for you. – less
Fun Coworkers and very helpful
biller (Former Employee), Maspeth NyOctober 30, 2014
Pros: good co workers. good hours to make extra income
Cons: no recognition on your effort s to learn.
Formerly employee at the Maspeth terminal. September 2014. Good co workers. Never in the I terview explain to you that the time you doing billing. Has a very old system to do billing. In one week they want to bill as fast as you can. You cannot even use a mouse. The system is from the 1990. At 40th day of being working there you have to join the union. – more... You have to give to them 15% of your salary. They let me go at my 38th day of being working there. – less
Busy, Chaotic , Productive
Customer Service / Check-In Clerk (Former Employee), Cranston, RIOctober 24, 2014
Pros: stayed busy, great pay
Cons: part time, no benefits
The last 3 years i was there I was working my own job as Check-in clerk and I was asked to fill in for a supervisor position for Long Haul dispatch.
I was trained by the supervisor . I proceed to do both jobs for 3 years.
I learned very quickly on how the operations of the company worked being in that position.

My co-workers were very helpful when – more... I needed any assistance, as I was running back and forth for both jobs.

The hardest part of the job. There really wasn't anything hard.
It was chaotic-- I fit right in.

I loved my jobs. I was very good at both of them. – less
co-workers & management never on the same page
Dock Worker (Current Employee), Billerica, MAOctober 15, 2014
It is hard to work for a company were the co-workers & management dont work together to achieve the end result.
Fast paced, yes- office drama, ohhhhhh yeah!
Customer service rep (Former Employee), Williamsville,nyOctober 8, 2014
Pros: money is decent
Cons: verbal and mental abuse not worth the money
Since day one, this company plays favorites.
Management is part of the "ol boys choir" - (google it)
Complaints fall on deaf ears, and then get turned around and against you.
Almost EVERY person in office has been brought down to tears at one time or another.
That's the number one reason for big turn over in office.
Combo Driver/Dock (Current Employee), Troy, NYJuly 29, 2014
Pros: free health insurance
Cons: 15% give back
Here is the scoop- New Penn, a regional division of YRCW, is a good place to work but there is some things you need to know.

1- Its Teamsters. $400 initial buy in to the union than 2.5 times your hourly rate of pay once a month for dues.

2. Seniority- Everything is on this, everything. When you start you will start at the bottom of the list. You will – more... work in Troy, NY starting on a 130p shift after a brief orientation.

3. Pay is 85% of the NMFA which right now is $17.65 per hour (this is the starting rate including the 85%). Then you have to give back 15% of your weekly pay through March of 2019 as "equity wages". You get overtime after 8hrs in a day not just 40 in a week. Takes 3 full years to get top rate. Which is over $22 an hour.

4. Your only guaranteed 8 hrs a day. OT is a plus.

5. Free family health care. You pay no out of pocket expenses for family or individual health care. Includes hospitalization, dental, prescription drug and vision.

6. No weekends, No Major Holidays. 1 week vacation after a year which is suppose to be 40-45 hrs at your hourly rate of pay.

7. 40 cent raises through 2019 starting in 2016 but you take 15% off that too.

8. Pension.. its bad right now. No contributions for 5 years on the companys part. However you can start your own 401k through a brokerage of your choice and self fund it.

9. High miles on every truck and trailers are wore out. Some trucks do really have 1 million miles or more on them.

10. Expect to work the dock everyday and every night. Everyone does it. You load your own truck and you take your own equipment out everynight. Pallet Jacks, Hand Trucks, Load Bars etc. Company provided. – less
no job security
Driver/Dock (Current Employee), Williamsville, NYJune 12, 2014
Pros: good insurance
Cons: company possibly closing
the owners have our pensions on hold, we had to lose vacation time give up raises so they wouldn't go bankrupt.
Mehh..
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Troy, NYJune 9, 2014
Pros: semi-laided back, friendly workers, fork lifts
Cons: temperature was outside weather, management, union fiasco
the job was temporary and they failed to tell me that at the time of hiring. for about 3 months straight i worked monday though friday 5pm til the work was done. managers didnt care much about keeping your job. Truck drivers were favored over us dock workers so they got work first. the most idiotic thing was that they demanded me to join the union or – more... i couldn't work. so i joined, 3 weeks later they told me there was no more work for me, IE: "let go". Why tell me to do something major like join the Teamsters if your plan wasn't to keep me. would of been a good job if i was on the forklift all day like the truck drivers and if they kept me. – less
being able to stay home with my children
Billing Clerk (Current Employee), Billerica, MAApril 29, 2014
Pros: being at home with my children during the day
Love working at night so I could stay home with my young
children
Flexible hours good pay
Learning a marketable skill
Excellent career choice for professionals
Professional (Current Employee), Lebanon, PAApril 5, 2014
Pros: challenging, growth oriented, professional, highly skilled managers and colleagues, a positive working environment
Cons: too minor to mention
I chose New Penn over another job offer because I preferred the management, company environment, and growth potential described to me during the interview process -- and it was a great decision. I've found professional, highly skilled managers, collaborative and helpful colleagues, and a very positive working environment.

My position is both challenging – more... and enjoyable. This company has invested substantial resources in providing me opportunities to gain new skills. New Penn is also continually evaluating and working toward improvements. Although most companies have these goals on paper, I see action here.

No job is completely perfect, but I couldn't imagine being at a better company at this point in my life. I feel like I'm a valued part of a team with an important mission. I would recommend New Penn to any professional who likes a challenge, wants to grow, and values the integrity and choices of the management they work for. – less
Fast pace & more of a self-starter
W&I Coordinator / Inbound Supervisor (Former Employee), Maspeth, NYApril 3, 2014
Inspect outbound and Inbound shipments that were picked up on a daily basis and ensure that there are in the right class with the NMFC classifications. I Also walk the dock and check all P&D trailers to ensure that the freight is loaded in the proper position so that the delivery driver would have a productive day.
Very Fast Paced
Driver/Dock (Former Employee), Troy, NYMarch 13, 2014
Pros: well paying job/ good benifits
Cons: driving a truck
Safety Oriented, Long Hours Very fast paced team work good people to work for
productive busy place to work
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), Williamsville, NYNovember 16, 2013
Pros: healthcare
A good place to work overall. The people there are great.Its pretty fast paced.
n/a
biller (Current Employee), Williamsville, NYNovember 14, 2013
I have been with New Penn since July 2013. I am a night shift biller/ time card recorder. At times it can be overwhelming but that's what keeps me going. I enjoy a challenge. Overall is a decent second job to supplement income for the time being.
no advancement
P&D Driver/Dockworker (Current Employee), Camp Hill, PAAugust 22, 2013
safety is #1 unless they need something done. then its as fast as u can go!!
The only good part of this job is leaving at the end of the work day.
CDL Truck Driver (Current Employee), Plantsville, CTJune 4, 2013
Pros: health benefits, overtime after 8 hours
Cons: yrc takes 15% of our pay before taxes, you will be on call for years, once your not on call anymore you will be stuck on the dock for years
I have been an employee at New Penn for many years and I still don't have a driving position. You will be working the dock for most of your career here. Newer employees that make it on to the seniority list start by making more money than the senior guys, which is BS.

When winter comes, expect not to come to work at all. New Penn does not care about – more... their employees at all and will use them when they need them. – less
this job is no good
worker (Current Employee), maspethMay 5, 2013
Pros: when its time to go home
Cons: management
ive been at new penn for over 10 years the work environment is no good,they take 15 percent of my check every week before taxes(its called equity wages) that goes straight to the company tax free,the supervisors are foul mouthed they treat the dockworkers like garbage,no respect,no room for advancement they are not flexible with there schedule.....dont – more... waste your time – less

May 17, 2013

My husband works at the company in Camp Hill, PA. And it is just as the above posted said. For 3 years they cut their pay and put a hold on increases and made mention that they will get the money back after 3 years, but they wouldn't guarantee it. Guess what? The managers and supervisors of the company got their back wages but the dock workers and drivers didn't. Not only loss in wages but also cuts in insurance benifits. It is very unreasonable that this company does this to one place of buisness while other trucking companies under the same union is not imposing this wage cut! This union is very deceptive because there was a VOTE with the workers if they wanted this pay cut and the vote came out to be a big fat NO. The union agreed to cut the pay anyways even though the workers voted no. It is an underhanded union and I would look elsewhere for a job than work for New Penn in Camp Hill, PA.

A well run trucking company despite high costs.
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Little Falls, NJApril 22, 2013
Pros: a solvent and well run trucking company in tough economic times
Cons: having to deal with bad weather and bad traffic during rush hours.
A company totally dedicated to service their customers with
prompt pick-up and delivery times. They make the drivers
and other labor people feel they have a stake in the overall
advancement of the corporation.
overall good working environment
City Driver/dock (Current Employee), Milton PAApril 4, 2013
Pros: job stability
Cons: change of industry over the years
History of good work environment. Stability of job, The work load some days with a time restraint.
Safe Work Space/ Flexible Schedule
Dock Worker (Former Employee), Maspeth, NYMarch 28, 2013
Cons: temp. position
This company is very flexible with the work schedule. Typical day included, loading trucks, keeping track of inventory, updating books.

About New Penn Motor Express

New Penn is a regional less-than-truckload motor carrier providing reliable, next-day service through a network of 24 service – Read more