New River Valley Community Services Employee Reviews in United States

Dont Waste Your Time
Direct Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 9, 2016
I worked for the agency for 3 years in direct care. Nothing is organized, supervisors put way to many tasks and responsibilities on your shoulders. They are not understanding why staff are unhappy. When they are over worked, under paid, and not appreciated for their efforts. You can not use your PTO time that you earned. Everyone is one investigation away from being fired. All the supervisors have a buddy system. If one doesn't like you, then you become on the exit list. They will find any reason at that point to get you out the door. They do not care about you or your life and if they ruin it. Best piece of advice is to not even apply for a job with New River Valley Community Services.
Pros
No pros that are worth your time
Cons
Everything is a con at this place. Too much stress, too little pay. Its not worth it.
Unethical, impossible expectations, and very illegal supervision
Community Supports Professional I (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VADecember 31, 2015
In the two years I worked there, I met with my supervisors to talk about what I can do to "make it better" and talked with very experienced coworkers.; there was nothing that I could humanly do in a 40 hour time frame. At one meeting, the supervisor said to leave a client at a location where she didn't even have running water or a way to get back there. Another meeting resulted in revamping my hours "to meet production" expectations; you do the math. "We didn't meet expectations so if you do 25 contact hours you should be able to meet you weekly requirement." When I started management explained, the requirement for production expectations was 40 hours resulting from you doing 20 contact for 20 non contact. Sorry but 25 +25 is 50 for those in management who said they didn't approve your overtime. Well, yes you did when your supervisor assigned the 25 contact hours. Oh, did I mention that you cannot take your sick leave earned unless you meet the weekly expectations as a team, even being short staffed because people will only take so much lies and deceptions. Oh, keep an eye out for someone following you with a phone, to video you to dig up dirt and make up their own story on what the video is. If this is not enough for you to make up your mind I will pray for your sanity and your marriage to be in tact when you realize you made a mistake and are stuck with no options and a bad mark on your resume.
Pros
Sick leave and flexible schedule
Cons
Can't ever use your sick leave and no time with family
Fun place to work
Reimbursement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 24, 2015
A typical day at work in the Health Information department included pulling charts for appointments, scanning documents into patient's electronic medical record, and submitting record requests for various entities. I enjoyed working with my manager, and co-workers. The hardest part of my job was making sure papers were in the correct order in patient's charts. We would get fined from Medicaid if they were not. I enjoyed working with the staff at NRVCS by helping them retrieve documents and paperwork.
Run away as fast as you can!
Emergency Services Clinician (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMarch 10, 2015
I worked here for 4 years and thankfully found a job elsewhere. The climate is toxic-- be prepared to work in an environment where the majority of people are paranoid and unhappy. Management is sneaky--if they want to get rid of you, they will find a way. Many times they'll give you no reason or come up with a random reason they create. They would do anything from pull data off your computer, monitor internet/email usage, run a driver license check, etc. They will have other employees spy on you to try to get "dirt" on your. I witnessed this on multiple occasions. Run far away from this company.
Pros
Good location (Blacksburg office)
Cons
Almost everything. Toxic work environment, management is stuck up, no room for advancement, did I say toxic environment??
Lack of Structure
Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VASeptember 24, 2014
Working for New River Valley Community Services was very educational. The downside to being employed there is the distance, wear and tear on your vehicle. You are supplied with plenty of PTO , but you really cannot use it . The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with clients and examining the goals that you as the support coordinator and the client have set. However, on the down side, there is no structured training, you are given a caseload before effectively feeling comfortable and knowing the procedures, paperwork, and agency information. You do not get quarterly evaluations, instead four quarters are reviewed at one time; another downside is the work that you complete is not reviewed. If you are a seasoned case manager looking to transfer and have prior knowledge , you should feel encouraged to apply. but not a person fresh out of college without knowledge of the DBHDS and DMAS
Pros
insurance benefits
Cons
lackof supervision, wear and tear on vehicle, no training or shadowing for comfortability
Please, please, don't get involved with this company
mental health worker (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VASeptember 20, 2014
As someone who spent way too much time working for this horrible, unethical company, I cannot say enough negative things about this place. I have worked for other mental health agencies, and I have never seen any place as fear-based and toxic as this work environment. My experience was only with the Adult and Family Unit, so I cannot speak for the other units. The management, particularly some of the upper management of this unit, do not care about employees. They only care about billing Medicaid for services to the point that it is bordering on unethical. In addition, if you are not favored by the upper management, you may very well become targeted and lose your job. Though this did not happen to me, I saw this happen to multiple co-workers. Often times the reasons that were given for the firing were behaviors that the management were engaging in also. One of the most morale-defeating things I experienced in my years there was watching employees who had been there for years do next to nothing, while others of us worked 60-70 hours per week for less pay. They will ensure your position is exempt so you won't get paid a dime for any hour you work over 40. Speaking of, if you want to advance with this company, make sure you're willing to give up any friend and family life you may have. Depending on the position, you will be given a smartphone and if you want to remain in good graces with management, you better be available via phone or email 24 hours a day. The PTO earned is good, but it doesn't matter, because you won't have time to use it and keep up with productivity and/or  more... responsibility expectations. Until I left there and got another job in the mental health field, I did not realize how much this job and the people who managed me were affecting my mental and physical health. It is a horrible existence to live day in and day out in fear that you may lose your job for whatever arbitrary reason they decide to give. The sad thing is that HR is aware of these issues, but because of the power of the long-standing upper management there, they are powerless to change anything while those people are still there.

On the plus side, I made some very good friends there and learned a lot.
Cons
almost everything
I would skip this one
clinician (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg VAAugust 31, 2014
Very tense and at times toxic work culture. There seem to be very low professional ethical standards, and I am not sure this agency has every heard of employee rights. If you are brave enough to take a chance on this one, I would go into it understanding that the supervisors have a buddy system, and as a non-supervisor, you will likely be over-worked, under-appreciated, and if you buck the system, extremes will be taken to get you out the door. Not exaggerating.
Pros
???
Cons
ethical standards
Was not my cup of tea
Direct Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJuly 23, 2014
This was an incredibly stressful job for me and I learned this is not what I wanted to do. The change in management halfway through didn't help either. Working by yourself is also difficult in this type of environment.
Cons
compensation, management
My Internship
Masters of Social Work Internship (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMarch 26, 2014
A wonderful opportunity to intern with the local community services board.
Honest easy going job
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJanuary 7, 2014
Great place to work.
Bosses are great at what they do and are willing to help drive when needed.
An excellent company that seeks to provide care to the intellectually disabled.
Psychosocial Rehabilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VASeptember 6, 2013
Direct care with intellectually disabled adults. Administrative work involving records and Medicaid billing.
The bad's of the job start to out weigh the good that you are doing.
** (Current Employee) –  24060May 1, 2013
No ethical values

Those with mental health needs, deserve and need quality services, this is not happening

Quality vs. Quantity
Pros
flexibity
Cons
there is no life / work balance
There wasn't much room for advancement.
Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMarch 27, 2013
I enjoyed working with my co-workers. I didn't feel that the Agency allowed us to share our ideals to help to make, or bring more positive changes; even though we were the ones participating in the Direct care.
Pros
making the day better for clients and group events; first aide, cpr, schedule appointments, were always fun. i was required to give medications.
Cons
sometimes co-workers wouldn't show up for work; which made the task hard.
Do not work here
current employee (Current Employee) –  new river valleyNovember 9, 2012
If you are wondering why there are always jobs posted for this company... it is because there is MAJOR turnover in this company and I know why!
Most co-workers and supervisors have serious mental problems.
Hardest part of the job is dealing with them.
Supervisors could care less about the employees or the clients.
Most enjoyable part of the job is working with the clients.
Save yourself from major drama and avoid all contact with NRVCS!
Pros
time off
Cons
you will never be able to use it!
Great place to gain experience working with individuals with disabilities
START Coordinator & Clinician (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJuly 22, 2012
I worked here for 9.5 years. I am retiring early to pursue other avenues. Very nice coworkers.

Most of the work is funded by Medicaid, which means employees must have or obtain certain certifications. See Cons listed.
Pros
benefit package
Cons
limited to hiring those with lpc, lcsw, etc. degrees
This work environment is tense and unproductive.
Mental Health Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  700 University Bld., Blacksburg, VA.February 27, 2012
I suppose a job with NRVCSB would be a good work experience for the new comer who needs experience in the area of mental health service. With that being said, this experince would also give this prospective employee that CSB is clearly cocerned with NUMBERS rather cleint SERVICE. This system is broken!
Pros
good benefits, opportunity to provide care for client needs!
Cons
inept management, poor job security, hostile work environment!!!