New River Valley Community Services

New River Valley Community Services Employee Reviews

Stressful environment
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 8, 2017
The leadership gives more and more work, while not compensating with better pay. Employees feel like they are not heard. A staff member can give their all to the job just to have more work given. Stress gets compacted on the staff, with no relief given by the leadership. More for less, seems to be the theme. More work is wanted with no more compensation.
I enjoyed working at NRVCS
Community Case Manager-Child and Family, QMHP-C (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 1, 2017
I loved my time at NRVCS. The only downfall would be that client caseloads can become overwhelming at time. I would continue to work for NrVCS if I had lived closer to this company. However, the long commute made it difficult for me to continue to provide my clients wiht the level of need that I felt that they deserved.
Very Unfortunate Experience
ID Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 19, 2017
I was not treated well and made to feel welcome by management and fellow staff. I met all work related requirements and had great relationships with my clients. Micromanagement was terrible. Also they breached my confidentiality as an employee. I was triggered by past memories of bullying during one event in particular that occurred at this workplace. I do not recommend anyone going here unless things have changed.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Micromanagement, cold and criticizing management, training issues
Terrible Benefits
Service Provider (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 12, 2017
We received an email earlier this year (2017) informing us that our insurance premiums would likely be going up. However, they failed to mention just how high they would be going. For a single person, the premium went up by 47.9%. For a family, the premium went up by 40.9%. This type of premium increase is absolutely ridiculous and a hardship on individuals and families who work their tails off for this company for next to no pay. This company should be ashamed of themselves!
I love my job
Service Provider (Current Employee) –  Radford, VAMarch 18, 2017
I come in and provide my clients their prescribed medications. I participate in a 2 hour process group. I help out with day treatment services and provide psycho-education groups. I write notes, supervise clients, and create outing opportunities.
Nice place to work
Serves as supervisor (Current Employee) –  Radford, VAFebruary 28, 2017
New river valley community services is a nice place to work with lots of room to grow and develop yourself professionally.
Terrible place to work.
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  NRVDecember 3, 2016
My review goes right along with what the others are saying. It is a terrible place to work. The majority of the upper management have been there a long time or "made" their way there likely by unethical means. The salaries for the "worker bees" isn't competitive, but the upper management is over paid for their positions. Until the upper management all retires, the culture will not change.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Workplace hostility
Was a good, interesting place to work.
Admin Asst; PACT Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VASeptember 29, 2016
I retired early from NRVCS with 20+ years of service due to a family medical emergency. I enjoyed my employment there and advanced rapidly. Benefits were great,
There were few typical days at work due to the nature of our clients but they presented the most enjoyable times during my employment.
I learned a lot about all services we provided and prided myself on being the answer questions regarding our services and became the "go to" person for many; if I didn't know the answer I knew where to go to find it!
The hardest part was leaving.
Pros
Ability to be flexible if need arose.
Cons
Not any really.
Dont Waste Your Time
Direct Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 9, 2016
I worked for the agency for 3 years in direct care. Nothing is organized, supervisors put way to many tasks and responsibilities on your shoulders. They are not understanding why staff are unhappy. When they are over worked, under paid, and not appreciated for their efforts. You can not use your PTO time that you earned. Everyone is one investigation away from being fired. All the supervisors have a buddy system. If one doesn't like you, then you become on the exit list. They will find any reason at that point to get you out the door. They do not care about you or your life and if they ruin it. Best piece of advice is to not even apply for a job with New River Valley Community Services.
Pros
No pros that are worth your time
Cons
Everything is a con at this place. Too much stress, too little pay. Its not worth it.
Unethical, impossible expectations, and very illegal supervision
Community Supports Professional I (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VADecember 31, 2015
In the two years I worked there, I met with my supervisors to talk about what I can do to "make it better" and talked with very experienced coworkers.; there was nothing that I could humanly do in a 40 hour time frame. At one meeting, the supervisor said to leave a client at a location where she didn't even have running water or a way to get back there. Another meeting resulted in revamping my hours "to meet production" expectations; you do the math. "We didn't meet expectations so if you do 25 contact hours you should be able to meet you weekly requirement." When I started management explained, the requirement for production expectations was 40 hours resulting from you doing 20 contact for 20 non contact. Sorry but 25 +25 is 50 for those in management who said they didn't approve your overtime. Well, yes you did when your supervisor assigned the 25 contact hours. Oh, did I mention that you cannot take your sick leave earned unless you meet the weekly expectations as a team, even being short staffed because people will only take so much lies and deceptions. Oh, keep an eye out for someone following you with a phone, to video you to dig up dirt and make up their own story on what the video is. If this is not enough for you to make up your mind I will pray for your sanity and your marriage to be in tact when you realize you made a mistake and are stuck with no options and a bad mark on your resume.
Pros
Sick leave and flexible schedule
Cons
Can't ever use your sick leave and no time with family
Fun place to work
Reimbursement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 24, 2015
A typical day at work in the Health Information department included pulling charts for appointments, scanning documents into patient's electronic medical record, and submitting record requests for various entities. I enjoyed working with my manager, and co-workers. The hardest part of my job was making sure papers were in the correct order in patient's charts. We would get fined from Medicaid if they were not. I enjoyed working with the staff at NRVCS by helping them retrieve documents and paperwork.
Run away as fast as you can!
Emergency Services Clinician (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMarch 10, 2015
I worked here for 4 years and thankfully found a job elsewhere. The climate is toxic-- be prepared to work in an environment where the majority of people are paranoid and unhappy. Management is sneaky--if they want to get rid of you, they will find a way. Many times they'll give you no reason or come up with a random reason they create. They would do anything from pull data off your computer, monitor internet/email usage, run a driver license check, etc. They will have other employees spy on you to try to get "dirt" on your. I witnessed this on multiple occasions. Run far away from this company.
Pros
Good location (Blacksburg office)
Cons
Almost everything. Toxic work environment, management is stuck up, no room for advancement, did I say toxic environment??
Non-Profit organization providing vast mental health services
Case Manager/Mental Health Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAFebruary 5, 2015
Provided case management and mental health supports to clients in the community and in clinical settings. Given more than 40 hours worth of work in a 40 hour work week, in a non-exempt salaried position, but not allowed to clock overtime when worked. Difficult or impossible to get work done creating a high employee turn-over rate.
Lack of Structure
Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VASeptember 24, 2014
Working for New River Valley Community Services was very educational. The downside to being employed there is the distance, wear and tear on your vehicle. You are supplied with plenty of PTO , but you really cannot use it . The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with clients and examining the goals that you as the support coordinator and the client have set. However, on the down side, there is no structured training, you are given a caseload before effectively feeling comfortable and knowing the procedures, paperwork, and agency information. You do not get quarterly evaluations, instead four quarters are reviewed at one time; another downside is the work that you complete is not reviewed. If you are a seasoned case manager looking to transfer and have prior knowledge , you should feel encouraged to apply. but not a person fresh out of college without knowledge of the DBHDS and DMAS
Pros
Insurance Benefits
Cons
Lackof supervision, wear and tear on vehicle, no training or shadowing for comfortability
Please, please, don't get involved with this company
mental health worker (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VASeptember 20, 2014
As someone who spent way too much time working for this horrible, unethical company, I cannot say enough negative things about this place. I have worked for other mental health agencies, and I have never seen any place as fear-based and toxic as this work environment. My experience was only with the Adult and Family Unit, so I cannot speak for the other units. The management, particularly some of the upper management of this unit, do not care about employees. They only care about billing Medicaid for services to the point that it is bordering on unethical. In addition, if you are not favored by the upper management, you may very well become targeted and lose your job. Though this did not happen to me, I saw this happen to multiple co-workers. Often times the reasons that were given for the firing were behaviors that the management were engaging in also. One of the most morale-defeating things I experienced in my years there was watching employees who had been there for years do next to nothing, while others of us worked 60-70 hours per week for less pay. They will ensure your position is exempt so you won't get paid a dime for any hour you work over 40. Speaking of, if you want to advance with this company, make sure you're willing to give up any friend and family life you may have. Depending on the position, you will be given a smartphone and if you want to remain in good graces with management, you better be available via phone or email 24 hours a day. The PTO earned is good, but it doesn't matter, because you won't have time to use it and keep up with productivity and/or  more... responsibility expectations. Until I left there and got another job in the mental health field, I did not realize how much this job and the people who managed me were affecting my mental and physical health. It is a horrible existence to live day in and day out in fear that you may lose your job for whatever arbitrary reason they decide to give. The sad thing is that HR is aware of these issues, but because of the power of the long-standing upper management there, they are powerless to change anything while those people are still there.

On the plus side, I made some very good friends there and learned a lot.
Cons
Almost everything
I would skip this one
clinician (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg VAAugust 31, 2014
Very tense and at times toxic work culture. There seem to be very low professional ethical standards, and I am not sure this agency has every heard of employee rights. If you are brave enough to take a chance on this one, I would go into it understanding that the supervisors have a buddy system, and as a non-supervisor, you will likely be over-worked, under-appreciated, and if you buck the system, extremes will be taken to get you out the door. Not exaggerating.
Pros
???
Cons
ethical standards
Was not my cup of tea
Direct Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJuly 23, 2014
This was an incredibly stressful job for me and I learned this is not what I wanted to do. The change in management halfway through didn't help either. Working by yourself is also difficult in this type of environment.
Cons
compensation, management
My Internship
Masters of Social Work Internship (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMarch 26, 2014
A wonderful opportunity to intern with the local community services board.
Honest easy going job
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJanuary 7, 2014
Great place to work.
Bosses are great at what they do and are willing to help drive when needed.
An excellent company that seeks to provide care to the intellectually disabled.
Psychosocial Rehabilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VASeptember 6, 2013
Direct care with intellectually disabled adults. Administrative work involving records and Medicaid billing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New River Valley Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6