New Seasons Market Employee Reviews

Was a great place to work
Deli Assistant Manager, Deli Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 7, 2015
The best thing that NSM has going for them is the People. The staff and the customers are wonderful people. The further you go up the ladder the less real that people get to be.
Pros
free food, great benifits and cool people
Cons
job movement is nearly impossible after a certain point.
Great job, great community, great place.
Grocery (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 10, 2015
The happiest store in town!
I never wanted to leave, I felt like I was going to work with a gang of friends and we were all in it together.
Pros
Friends, food, proximity to my home
Cons
low pay, penny raises, weird hours for first few years, lack of upward mobility, inconsistent schedule
Very friendly enviroment, great management
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 24, 2016
The staff are very friendly and always show concern for each others well being. Everyone greets each other upon starting a work shift. Team work is applied and meetings are held daily to ensure everyone is heard. Management is very friendly and is always there when you need them. The hardest part of this job is getting the shift and hours you need and the most enjoyable part would be learning something new and sampling product everyday.
Employees first.
Pastry Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 19, 2015
this was a great company to work for so so long. they were always great with making sure the employees were happy and had schedules and wages that worked well. i also enjoyed the work and the time interacting with customers.
Pros
wages and work environment
Cons
healthcare, raises
Very fun and positive work environment
Bakery Clerk/Deli Clerk/Dishwasher/Prep-Cook (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 1, 2016
I really enjoy how open everyone is to new ideas. The managers really care about their coworkers and are constantly trying to make the workplace better.
Pros
pays good, has good benefits, positive work environment
Cons
communication about changes
Great People, Good Company
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 20, 2016
I work with some of the best people in Portland at New Season Market. They are fun, hard working, and friendly. Also the benefits of health insurance, blue slips, and a twenty percent discount on groceries are wonderful perks.
A company who takes care of their employees
Assistant Receiver (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 7, 2016
New Seasons is a great company to work for and takes care of its employees. They are willing to teach you in order to gain the skills needed to be promoted. Co-workers treat each other wonderfully and genuinely care for one-another.
Not so good
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, OROctober 25, 2015
A typical day at work started with showing up at 6am to find that no food preperations or supplies needed to have a successful smooth day had been done. Most of the time at least 2 to 3 people would have called in sick. The work load involved in trying to make up for the extreme lack of supplies needed would be extremely over whelming.When I would bring up problems that could be easily fixed managers would point the finger somewere else, they would never take any responsibilty and nothing would change. Being one of the stronger employees when It came to production and customer service I found myself doing at least twice the amount of work as one of the other Deli employees. I also had a very very hard time securing a schedule that met my families needs. For almost a year and a half I struggled to get any small piece of a decent schedule that would allow me real quality time at home with my kids. I had multiple meetings with store management regarding the fact that with my schedule I wouldn't see my kids for about 4 days at a time. It was very damaging to my home life. When I started to ask questions and bring attention this fact, always respectfully in order to find a solution without causing another problem for myself, I felt I started to be targeted as a trouble maker. I feel that when I started I was told it was a lifestyle company, that they would work with you and your family's needs, and that ended up being completely not the case.The company towards the end of my employment had hiring freezes, leaving a small amount of employees to do the work load of what it would  more... take twice the amount of people to do. All that counted to them was the bottom line and how much money they made that day regardless of how it was affecting our health and our family's. I became increasingly stressed out and physically unhealthy. My son had some problems with depression. I made it very clear that I needed to be home in order to help him through his period of depression. He started cutting himself at one point. I'll never forget a meeting that I had with a New Seasons store manager in which my son's problem, that could have led to suicide, as well as my family's situation in dealing with this matter was compared to letting someone go from work early so that they wouldn't be late from band practice.
I will miss the benefits. But when I tried to stick up for what I knew was right and needed for my family to be happy and healthy instead of just going along with the new corperate mentality I found myself becoming a target. It ended up being one of the worst work environments or jobs I have ever had. I would see people who had no family's, kids striaght out of colledge with no family, get positions, or promotions for what seemed like no reason, or schedules that people like myself had been asking for for a long time, almost like it was a spite for trying to achieve better hours or situations for our family's. A lot changed about 2 years ago when New Seasons was taken over by new management and they went through a "remodle"
So many amazing truly friendly people left by the droves and some really nasty mean people started to take there place. It truly seemed like everything New Seasons started on and stood for, the reasons they were wildly succesful for in the first place were going out the window because of the new and encroaching bottom line.
Pros
Benefits package, liberal sick policy
Cons
Lack of advancement, lack of leadership and support, backstabbing corperate metality, over wokred, not enough staff
Great market and amazing people but with no room for growth.
Deli Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Progress Ridge, OregonNovember 20, 2013
New Seasons Market is a very successful company around Portland. The store is very modern, classy and spacious. I enjoy my job as a Deli Service Clerk and the people I work with. The company provides benefits to anyone working over twenty hours per week and also gives ten percent of its annual profits back to employees. New Seasons is a great company but lacks the potential for upward mobility. The job does not match my skill set and I am eager to put those skills to work. That is why I am seeking change. I want to go from a job to a career.
Pros
culture, location and security
Cons
pay, hours and unfulfilling
Fun coworkers but poor management
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 15, 2016
While you get first dibs on free expired food it often makes people sick. No promotions from within and management is very poor
Pros
free expired food, good benefits and pay
Cons
very subjective management
Good company to work for
Promotions Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORMay 31, 2016
New Seasons is going through growing pains right now and on the fast track of growing quickly. I enjoy the people I work with and the customers I see everyday.
Fun and interesting work place.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 11, 2016
New Seasons Market is truly the friendliest store in town. The people in charge of hiring due a fantastic job hiring the best of the best and everyone is like family. I have no doubt that if I hadn't injured myself on the job I would still be there.
Pros
fun, informative
Cons
injured self on job/not accommodating to that.
A Community Active Company
Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMarch 23, 2015
Great Management,Training Offers,BENEFITS, Just everything From The People And The Product Itself Learning The New Alternative to health eating and living.
Pros
indepth product learning, cheeses and wines
Cons
wish seasonal people would get hired on full time
Overworked and stressed out
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 5, 2015
A typical work day is exhausting! We don't have enough help and we are being overworked and taken advantage of on a daily basis. What I've learned is that once a company goes corporate all the great things about a job fade and you are not able to trust anyone in upper management. I do love the majority of my co workers although so many have left out of the same frustrations that I have. The hardest part of the job is the fact the we are an extremely busy grocery store and as they cut jobs and do not replace those positions we are constantly over worked to the point of exhaustion and high stress levels. It is not healthy. The best part of the job are the customers. Especially the kids and the seniors who always help put a smile on my face no matter how overwhelmed I might be. It has made me realize that I must move on and find a more fulfilling career and that for me at this point is working with the elderly...I have always had a soft spot for them since I was a little girl. And after having held my Grandmothers hand while she passed away in Hospice and seeing how amazing the people are that took care of her I have a interest in helping others just like the people did with my Grandmother. My Mother was also there holding her while she passed and now volunteers at Hospice and loves being there. We are a family with big hearts and that's where I would rather spend my days versus unhappy and stressed out at the grocery store.
Pros
benefits package and some coworkres
Cons
overworked, taken advantage of, stressed out, miserably unhappy workplace
Great Benefits and Employees. Fun and productive.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, OROctober 19, 2014
Supportive and positive work days. Fun and hard working employees and management. Customers are mostly wonderful. Hardest part is complying with attendance policies and company wide changes that customers are not happy with.
Pros
free food, household items, health and beauty, excellent benefits, work/ life balance
Cons
corporate sell out, unstable management model
Working for new seasons
Perishable Goods Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORMay 8, 2015
A lot of hard work was required but the benefits where well worth the reward of getting the benefits of the experience of a small business and the cutler of natural organic goods.
Amazing earth values and truly the friendliest place I have ever worked.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 26, 2013
I have learned how to conserve resources, treat every customer the same but tailor how I help them around what they actually need and want from our company. I have learned the value of working with a staff that is there to back you up and be there for you through anything, work or life related.
Pros
steady hours and awsome health care benefits
Cons
lower pay and slow to give raises
One of the best jobs I have ever had.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 23, 2015
New Seasons has got to be one of the best jobs I will have ever had in my life time. Most days were hard working, but yet very fun and with nice customers most of the time. My co-workers were very understanding, friendly, and always supported and participated in team work. Such as putting carts away, cleaning up a spill and especially closing tasks. My managers had to be some of the best I have ever met. They took the time to listen to anything I had to say, friendly, cared about if we were trained properly, understood majority of anything I said and even tried to help cope any problems. The most enjoyable part of the whole job would honestly have to be, my co-workers. Just all the team work involved, and as well communication is something I will always love in a job. As for the most hardest part of the job at first was me being social. But thankfully everyone I knew there helped me over come that. Soon after I would say the most hardest thing is to keep up with very task schedules and, masking sure everything was done in time as well in a professional quality. This was especially difficult when we were under-staff. Probably the hugest thing I learned from this job was to be more social. I have always been really shy until this job. Just getting to talk to my co-workers at first to have that develop into interacting with customers is a huge accomplishment.
Pros
amazing employee benefits, great management, amazing coworkers, reasonable payment
Cons
semi-short lunch break, sometimes under-staffed, sometimes got too busy it made some task really difficult
productive and fun workplace
Cashier/Pastry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJuly 29, 2013
This is the best place to work hands down. It is fun, and you get stuff done at the same time. There is always an opportunity to move up and grow with the company and the company is always growing.
Pros
job, co-workers, discount, benefits, everything
Great job, would recommend to anyone
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORAugust 13, 2015
At this job I learned a LOT about customer service, and it really forced me to hone in on my people skills which was great. The people in management positions were always ready to help out wherever they were needed just like everyone else, and that made things run a lot smoother since it's such a busy place. Overall, a really fun job.
Pros
Great employee discount, great work environment