New Story Western Region Employee Reviews

This company cares more about money than children
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  PrivateAugust 22, 2016
This company is not out to benefit children with special needs. It exists to make money. While the school in which I taught seemed to care for the students, the company does not. Nor do they care about their employees. Some of the best people I have met in my life have come into my life because of New Story. However, good people don't stay long. Classrooms are consistently understaffed causing danger to students and staff. The money paid in no way compensates for the aggression staff endures on a daily basis. The benefits are terrible and if you need to add a spouse or child, you may as well not work. You are with students from 8:30 - 2:30 with no break. I adored my students and most staff and I feel like I did what I could for them...but not all teachers put as much effort into it. Policy is changed to suit the company and never benefits the employees. School districts pay almost $300 per day to send their students to New Story...but staff does not earn enough money. The money doesn't go to staff or students, it lines the pockets of the upper management of the company. If you can find employment in a public school, do so.
Nice Work Atmosphere
Worker (Current Employee) –  Berwick, PANovember 13, 2016
Was a nice company to work for. Had various options for advancement. Enjoyed working with co-workers and the population. Did not always enjoy the long hours.
Management ruins an amazing job
Behavioral Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAOctober 30, 2016
I absolutely loved the kiddos at New Story and the staff are amazing selfless people who are seriously underpaid. Management hires people without informing them at how physical the job will be, They make changes without speaking with any of the staff that it will affect. They leave huge shortages in the classroom putting staff and students in danger. Its a shame that ugly greedy people have to ruin such an amazing job. There are many other companies who have a need for staff in the classroom. Look elsewhere!
Excellent place to work!
CSS (Current Employee) –  DuBois, PADecember 24, 2016
Coming from a job at a maximum security prison I have to laugh at all the negative comments about being dangerous and aggressive. Yes, it is challenging, but if you are scared of aggressive kids than New Story isn't for you! I am a CSS and love it! Great staff and great enviroment. Hours are excellent as well. Don't let the negative comments scare you away! Management is also awesome to work for.
Pros
full time, good hours, good pay, excellent experience, great staff
Cons
n/a
Great School
Crisis Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Throop, PASeptember 6, 2016
This is one of those Jobs I can honestly say I enjoyed going to. The hours are the best in my opinion (school hours, occasional training) nothing major all weekends off.

If you are in the Mental Health Field defiantly a great place to get your toes wet.

Hardest part of the job is working with the mentally ill. I cannot go into detail, but the possibility of being injured is there. That being said they do train you very well and besides for a few bumps I never got hurt badly.

Most enjoyable for me was the kids. No matter what walk of life they come from they all have great qualities to them. If you want to make a difference and have thick skin this a great place.

You MUST be here for the kids, not for a paycheck or "just" a job. You need thick skin to work here. Nothing beats a kids cursing you out, but it's not for everyone.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Mental Burnout
Not a great experience.
Behavioral Consultant (Former Employee) –  DuBois, PAApril 9, 2016
Wasted several years of my life here. Management is horrible with no support where they leave in the middle of the school day to run errands and when you have a family emergency you are guilted into staying. The upper level management in Indian is worse. Not professional or understand ethics. Very little training to offer better support to the student. Now working for a new company I have learned so much more.
Pay stinks and they make promises to new staff about hours they never keep. The turnover here is horrible as people can support their own families with the pay they get and often have to buy their own materials for the classroom. favortism is big here as well as adult topics are often joked about. Management won't follow their own rules and often leave staff in dangerous situations with aggressive students or send a staff out alone on outings. So many more complaints but too many to list here.
Pros
The kids
Cons
Poor management, bad pay, lack of respect, misleading promises, no support or training
upbeat work environment
TSS (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 5, 2016
co-workers were nice. management was nice. unable to keep my job because company closed BHRS program. enjoyed working with my client but did not like the drive to the office.
Excellent place to work
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wyomissing, PAOctober 29, 2015
New Story is a FABULOUS place to work. There are constantly opportunities for advancement and progression in whatever field you are in (support staff, teacher, etc). The company is supportive and offers extensive training to prepare you for the position. It can absolutely get stressful, but the impact you are making on these children's lives and the progress you see is 100% worth it. The staff is friendly and willing to support you (speaking from a new employee's perspective!). The administration is fantastic!! The best part of the job is that every day is different! Having worked many years in public schools New Story is a pleasant change of pace.
Good opportunity to work with really challenging kids
BSS (Former Employee) –  Reading, PANovember 2, 2015
This is a good place to get experience with difficult kids. The mission of the school is to work with the challenging kids from the districts and this is a much needed service. There is a lot of support among staff and the administrators are frequently checking on the kids and staff, they aren't just office administrators. They are very flexible with needing time off for family issues. The school I worked in offered lots of training and support to staff. I only left because i decided to go back to school full time.
Pros
great experience, flexible, good supervision
Love It!!!
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wyomissing, PAAugust 1, 2013
I really like working for New Story. This school I work for is a private school strictly for students with autism. I am still employed there, just under a new position. As a BSS, my day included getting the student off the bus, helping the child attend to lessons and if needed, implementing that students behavior plan. I was also involved in weekly meetings. I have learned a lot about autistic children since employed here. I have learned how to implement the VB-MAPP curriculum along with safety techniques and strategies used in dealing with autistic children. The hardest part of the job is putting a child in a restraint even though I know it is in their best interest. Management is really good at trying to work with employees. Unfortunately there are some things that come from a higher person in the company and they just have to follow and abide by these terms. Overall, this is a great company to work for.
Rewarding place to work
Classroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  Throop, PAJune 16, 2013
On a typical day, I assist Special Education teachers, and teachers assistants with their daily academic and behavioral goals. I have learned to adjust my day to day schedule quickly and easily. I occasionally substitute for lead teachers in the classrooms.
My co-workers are very supportive and easy to work with everyday. We all work as a team to make sure our days run smoothly. The hardest part of my job can be the emotional toll throughout the day. Working with children with special needs can be very emotional.
The most enjoyable part of my job, is seeing the progress that students make throughout the school year, academically and behaviorally.
Pros
co-workers are very supportive.
Cons
health benefits
Day at New Story of Columbus
Youth Leader (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 14, 2015
staff arrives at 6am-6pm
some kids have school that have to be woken up and transported to school between 7am-9am
while some kids are at school, other children do not have school and then it is up to the staff to find activtivies for the kids that do not have school, such as YMCA, helping at homeless shelters, applying for jobs, going to the park and theroputic drives for the kids
1 staff for 4 kids
co-workers keep watch when AWOL children go outside of area and upon their arrival co-workers communicate staff to have the know when the child returns
the hardest part of the day is the reaction of the client after redirecting youth to do chores or stop misbehaving
the best part is just helping mold the youth of tommorow to help them make better choices and have them understand that life consist more than just living in the hood and accepting it.
Pros
the outings with the kids
Cons
no breaks for 12 hours
Valuable work hamstrung by hostile oversight.
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Berwick, PAMarch 18, 2013
The day was extremely busy, and scheduling needs rarely allowed for breaks of any kind. The direct care staff was a delight to work alongside with few exceptions. The most difficult portion of the job was working to interpret if not predict the expectations of management so that they could be met; this process had no transparency, in part because management proved untrustworthy and frequently employed moving goalposts.
Pros
the programs are well-respected, and direct-care staff very skilled.
Cons
management is untrustworthy, the work load is intensive and calls for frequent overtime.
Positive stress, intrinsic rewards and the opportunity to grow!
Therapist  (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaMay 22, 2013
More recently, New Story has implemented much needed revisions to resolve and/or reduce work performance anxieties related to preparing for and following changes made to both the infrastructure and documentation; during this process, management has encouraged and promoted accountability which has been beneficial to the employer, the employee and their consumers. New Story continues to grow!
Productive and challenging
Behavioral Support Staff (Current Employee) –  York, PennsylvaniaJune 13, 2012
New Story meet the behavioral and education needs of Autistic children. I have learned applied behavior modification and creative ways of teaching children learning techniques. Staff and management are very supportive of the children. The difficult part of the job is managing physical aggression. The enjoyable part of the job is working with the children on various activities.
Pros
staff support
Cons
lack diversity
Big business----not an educational setting
Staff (Former Employee) –  WyomingAugust 13, 2013
The staff is a great bunch of caring and talented people. The management from the very top down runs the school like a business not a school. The emphasis is on billing and generating money not the best interest of the Students. The management plays favorites among employees. There is a lot of back stabbing and sophomoric behavior. The students and co-workers are the only reasons you want to go into work.
Pros
Caring staff
Cons
Great atmosphere, fun co workers, can play with the kids and be a big kid
Behavioral Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, PAJuly 2, 2015
8 hour days, unless an emergency or crisis
I learned about disabilities in all aspects, physical, emotional and mentally
My immediate supervisor was great, open communication, easy to talk to with concerns or issues
Co workers were ok, some better than others, some did more than others
Hardest part of the job, physically aggressive children of all ages and sizes
Best part of my job, seeing my clients smile and knowing they appreciated the job you did
Pros
Summer fun, swimming, hiking, state parks
Cons
not having enough down time for self during the day
Money not quality of care
Classroom assistant (Current Employee) –  Wyoming regionSeptember 7, 2013
Management will do anything to make a dollar. Ethical standards and guidelines are not considered when funding the multi-million dollar company. They manipulate funding sources and make employees find unethical reasons to bill just to keep productivity high.
Pros
Students and coworkers
Cons
Terrible healthcare, not valued as an employee, unethical
Not really a great place to work.
N/A (Former Employee) –  PAMay 6, 2014
I enjoyed my position at NS, although management and directors tend to care more about the importance of productivity (A.K.A Money) than the importance of providing meaningful and productive care/education to the clients. This job is not easy, as there is many stressful days full of behaviors, but the progression of the clients will get you through the day.
New Story
Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wyomissing, PAApril 21, 2014
I worked at New Story for a little over a year. The kids are wonderful and the schedule is 8:30-2:30 Monday-Friday. However, management has changed many times which creates some issues within the staff. New Story is a nice place to work and work with some wonderful children.
Pros
Children, Consistency of Schedule
Cons
Need more positive leadership within management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Story Western Region. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8