The mission of New West Charter Middle School is to provide an academically rigorous, highly individualized education for 21st Century students in grades 6-8. In the decades to come, personal success will require increasingly high levels of competency, independence, and self-reliance in an ever changing, ever more complex society, whether individuals choose to manage their own businesses, work within public or private organizations, or raise families whose children will face the same challenges. New West will produce competent, independent, self-reliant students by creating a learning environment that promotes academic excellence and strong character development as the antecedents for success in college preparatory high school programs. New West Charter Middle School is founded on the following precepts:
· A rigorous core curriculum that provides a strong foundation in reading and language arts, mathematics, science, and history and social science, supplemented with diverse enrichment opportunities in world languages, visual and performing arts, physical education and health, and information technology;
· A robust program of community service and extracurricular activities designed to have maximum synergy with the academic program;
· Clearly defined and closely monitored performance standards that assure progress toward the school's educational goals in full compliance with all applicable state standards;
· A cooperative community of parents and educators that shares responsibility for the school's governance, operation, and educational program in the best interests of the school's students;
· A goal of a small student body of 600 or less, taught in classes as small as resources permit (we aim for 25 students or less per class); and
· A personal learning environment that both encourages and challenges each student according to his or her ability through differentiated instruction within an integrated curriculum.
New West Charter Middle School will serve students of diverse cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds from throughout greater Los Angeles whose families share the common goal of creating a strong, unified educational milieu for their children. New West's educational culture will foster academic achievement through high expectations, genuine accountability, and individualized attention both at home and in school. This home/school collaboration will enable students to become competent, creative, self-motivated, lifelong learners who have a clear sense of their individual worth and their responsibilities to society. – less–ZoomInfo