NEW WORLD VAN LINES Employee Reviews

One of the best companies to work for.
CDL B Driver (Former Employee) –  JerseyJune 5, 2016
I have been working in moving industry for over 10 years. I worked as a helper/ straight truck driver for five different companies. I joined NWVL back in '09, and I should admit that this company is the best to work for. Compared to other moving companies, they offer more or less steady employment during the entire year (even in the winter).

PROS.
Minimum of 32 hours a week guaranteed.
Uniform allowance of $150 annually.
Five paid holidays.
Xmas bonus (it gets smaller and smaller every year).
Paid overtime.
Vacation - 10 days a year after two years of employment.
Free lunch or breakfast here and there.
Good management and professional dispatch/ planning.
Nobody is looking over your shoulder, you can work at your own pace, as long as the job gets done on time and the shipper is happy.

CONS.
Benefits are really mediocre.
No sick days.
Forget about the raise.
Everybody is treated the same (well, I guess it's a plus for some people)
"Mysterious" mistakes in payroll (always negative difference, never positive, not even once).
Too much inner politics.
Family owned business - it's all about the profit, not employees.
You have to purchase your own equipment.

I don't personally regret that I joined NWVL seven years ago. Back then, I was not doing well financially, and working for this company really helped me to get back on my feet. Annual income is decent but only if you work super-long hours for six-seven days a week.

New World is immigrant friendly, as long as your criminal record is clean. College students with no moving experience are ok to apply as
  more... well.

Expect to go on the road a lot.
Poor Management but Ok Pay
Mover Helper (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 27, 2015
Working at this company means dealing with racism, low pay and unfair treatment. Management plagued with jealousy of staff who excel, tend to find ways to belittle staff, make racial slurs and tarnish staff reputation. Management forces staff to do jobs that are not within the scope of one's job and work on management's personal projects rather than working on job related projects. When a Clients furniture is damaged - management gets employees to fix the broken furniture to hide damages from customers rather than following protocol of replacing the customer's broken merchandise. For the most part - your work life balance is non-existent - most employees spend a great deal of time away from family.
Pros
Compensation was sometimes fair
Cons
Poor Management, Racism, Poor Work-life Balance
Worst company.. doesn't value its employees and no room for growth
Driver/Mover!! (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAFebruary 2, 2016
First thing, the company doesn't pay enough for any driver. Secondly, the company doesn't know how to manage its employees.. once they have you booked as a driver or as a helper they will not give you time off and will more than likely keep you out for weeks.

DRIVING
I regret working for this company just simply because they don't give you a raise within the first 6 months or even a year. They over work their employees and don't put enough guys on the job. A two man crew would have to work for 2-3 days on a job of 10,000 lbs.They simply do not care at all. I can break down every little thing about this company that will make sure you won't ever work for them.

WORK
They also have illegals that work for them too. I have meet some of them that don't have papers. How does a company hire illegals and have drug & background screening? I don't understand how they get away with that.

DRIVING
And lastly I must say, the company tells you they will get you a bonus for driving which is a lie. I drove for over 6 months and I didn't get a dime for submitting all my logs on time and every other paperwork correctly.

WORST COMPANY TO WORK FOR. THEY WILL LET PEOPLE GO WHEN ITS CONVENIENT FOR THEM AND CUT YOUR HOURS!!! I HAVE SEEN EMAILS SAYING TO ELIMINATE HOURS.
Pros
Nothing at all.
Cons
Everything to do with this lame company. Dont provide you with any back brace or gloves.
Best Moving Company in the Industry
Warehouse Manager/Relocation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAFebruary 28, 2016
I have worked for most of the moving companies out there and by far New World has the best thing going. Excellent compensation for drivers. Excellent benefits and safety bonuses to be had.
Impossible scheduling
Relocation Specialist- Class A driver/ Lead Mover (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GADecember 29, 2016
Old broke down equipment, 120 hour work weeks, unwillingness to help you complete jobs in time given. Complete disregard to safety, labor laws, and hours of service regulations. Continuous confusion and run around about pay and bonuses. Theft of bonuses. Good luck with reimbursements. NO employee value or worth.
my time
RELOCATION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 21, 2017
I enjoyed my time there. The management was not the best but as a whole the company ran very well. over all it is a good company to work for.
Best manager ever
Active Warehouse Manager / Lead Driver (Current Employee) –  Sumner, WADecember 3, 2016
Best manager i ever had great people work with very hard work constant work never a dull moment would work there again. Owner is inexperienced when it comes to moving industry basically he wouldnt be able to keep up with us and wed have to send him home.
customer service
Payroll Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 7, 2016
new world van lines is a great place to work. great environment and best employess. you are process between 30-100 drivers a day. making sure they pay checks are correct, hours are in, anything incomplete , mileage , and making sure drivers are taking care of. great people to be around, very enjoyable.
this job was easy money
Mover/Packer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 13, 2016
I liked this job the work was easy and we got paid every Friday
the hours on the other hand were long somedays and other days if we were slow you got sent home.

I worked with a great group of guys I had a lot of fun at this job
It's a job . Everyone needs work
Relocation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAOctober 6, 2014
Very productive place lots and lots of hard work rain, sleet and snow 80% traveling the employees there works very hard year after without raises, sick leave and year after year the demand for the work has grown so with that we worked harder and harder with no reward at the end. during the winter months there are some very slow weeks and it's very hard to make a dollar some weeks you may only get 18-24 hrs. Rest time is very minimum between jobs and traveling time. Vactation time has a 4 month blackout period and you are force to use your vactation when they want you to.
Pros
1 hr lunches and no one looking over your shoulders all day
Cons
No advancement, Management issuses, No sick time but you work in the different weather all year long
Paying as slaves
Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAJune 10, 2016
After working for this company for a month I deside to quit afte treatment like a slave and being paid pennies.
They cheat the customers adding more weight to their jobs
That's the reason they have their own scale at the warehouse to play with the weight and i have pictures to proof if anyone needed
Can make some good money.
Mover (Current Employee) –  ColoradoApril 16, 2015
Can be a fun place to work but you have to be willing to do hard labor. Have many opportunities for advancement and the benefits are good.
Typical relocation company
Relocation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 23, 2014
Family owned moving business located on North side of Chicago. Okay salary with medical/dental benefits. Only 3-4 paid holidays annually. Black out on days off in summer.
Pros
1 hr lunch, Loose Dress Code
Cons
Benefits are mediocore, no paid holidays, no days off in summer
Good Company at times
OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VANovember 9, 2015
New World knew how to take care of most of the employee, but when the summer hit, it was everything or nothing. Which is expected. All in all decent company, if it wasn't for me wanting more, i would still be there today!

Most of the owner are Awesome! could not say more about them, but some are fare from!
Pros
Healthcare, support when needed.
Cons
When asking for to much it was pulling teeth to get the support needed, Did not care about family life when the summer season came around, it was all or nothing
made you strong
mover/ driver (Former Employee) –  Cranbury, NJFebruary 4, 2016
but tore apart your body too much , at some points worked 90-120 hrs a week,for 2 or three months straight, people where awesome to work with though. after 10 years my body could not take it.
Management is the problem
Move Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2014
New World used to be a great place to work. Then they hired very under qualified managers that ruined everything positive about working there. They will over work you and pick you apart. The job is very demanding and fast paced. Unfortunately the new VP and Manager do not get that. Huge turnover. They cannot keep people in the seats. You will be under paid, over worked and will never be appreciated.
Pros
You will enjoy your co-workers
Cons
worst mistake ever working there
Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 11, 2014
no advance notice of out of state work assignments other than the day before...no time off for family obligations or sick days...you are expected to dedicate your life with no benefit to your role in the company. advised me of a pay cut while i was on a week long run.no eyes on advanced salesman visit so the customer is basically their salesman...HA! when the customer is consistently off by 50 % you are asked why ? hey i didn't speak to these people and nothing can change if you don't know whats out there in the first place !!
Pros
you are so busy you have to look at your lor book to see what day it is
Cons
everything especially their communication
Great experience
Transportation Specialist / Brookfield Relocation (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 15, 2014
I worked with an awesome team of companies. We worked on site for our national account. I dealt with a large volume of files daily and provided one main point of contact for VIP corporate relocations.
Pros
I experienced a completely different/new relocation atmosphere.
Cons
No room for advancement
good
Driver/Mover (Former Employee) –  Union City, CAJune 4, 2012
good job alot of time over the road worked 10 to 12 hours a day management wasent good loog days poor help
Pros
job
Cons
manager
Interesting, informative company to work for
Move Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 22, 2014
Never had any work experience working in the moving industry and coming aboard with New World Van Lines has been extremely rewarding. I've learned so much and truly this company sets the bar to be different than other companies in the industry. NWVL caters to corporate relcatons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NEW WORLD VAN LINES. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6