New York & Company Employee Reviews in United States

Fun and Up Beat Place To Work, With Always Something To Do
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Snellville, GAJune 25, 2016
You get informed from a manager what the goals are for the day and daily promotions. You greet customers, keep the store clean, and make sure the customer is always happy and helped. Great co-workers and management that work together to keep everyone informed and team players. The hardest part would be the need to get people to apply for a credit card. The enjoyable part is never know what to expect from the customers, everyday is a different story, problem, or funny experience.
Pros
great team
Cons
rarely get breaks, variation in hours every week
This position was a very interesting experience. Opportunity to learn new skills, meet new people, and advance your career.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJuly 18, 2016
- Pleasantly greet the customers, help other co-workers if needed and assist the manager.
- Many different skill, i.e. window displays, designing and changing the.store during the different seasons, how to open/close registers, doing inventory, how to submit credit cards applications and so much more.
- Management was very helpful during my employment, their expertise taught me the knowledge how to advance within the store.
- Co-workers were helpful, experienced, positive.
- Leaving the employment. The company relocated and this was not a good move for myself.
- The entire job, co-workers and Management
Pros
Employees Discounts, luncheons
Cons
Salaries
High energy
Customer Service - Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYMay 27, 2016
Assist with display changes under the direction of the Visual Merchandising Manager or Merchandising Team
Maintain and stock the sales floor, including sales counters and all store displays and uprights/shelves, understanding the priorities of stocking, signage and cleaning
Organizational and time management skills
Assist the Merchandising Manager/Operations Manager to complete essential inventory control functions in an effort to support financial and inventory accuracy
Not a good place to be
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 24, 2016
This is probably the worst job I've ever had. The store is big and always had work, but the managers acted like drill sergeants rather than managers. What they said had to be done, had to be done or there were consequences such as write ups. When you have employees that work hard I believe they should be treated like people instead of lifeless robots that just take orders while management in in the office or making sure everyone is doing what they're supposed to be doing. Leaders don't give orders and watch, leaders lead. This store had no leaders.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Bad management, terrible hours
Good company to work for with good opportunity.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Brunswick, NJMay 23, 2016
The company itself is very nice to work for. Shifts are generally very laid back. Helping customers, ringing customers up, giving personal input, and trying to sell the brand. Co-workers were enjoyable and helpful when necessary. Hardest part of the job is when customers become impatient and unsatisfied with company rules and regulations. Most enjoyable part of the job is working with others who are willing to help, and helping customers who become satisfied with their purchases.
Pros
Discounts on clothing
Cons
Occasional extra shifts necessary for rearrangement of store.
Good learning experience
Managerial Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJune 9, 2016
I learned a lot about management at New York & Company. I learned how to lead co-workers and interact with customers. I learned a lot of customer service and money management skills. The hardest part of the job was trying to maintain a store with all available sizes during rush hours and trying to have enough employees working to cover all shifts.
Productive fun place to work with different skills
Sales Lead / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 15, 2016
To build a wardrobe for a customer was not easy but challenging.
Time management with customers and processing shipments in between required me to be multitasker was hard but doable.
Teamwork plays a huge role in this particular company that it had less staff but communication and flexibility helped a lot to get to the required tasks done in a timely manner.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Manager Flexibility
Cons
Healthcare, Short breaks
Productive workplace
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Lithonia, GAMay 11, 2016
I barely worked at this job since I spent majority of my time at my other job, but when I did attend the job it was very slow. I did not learn much from the job because I never really work, but I'm sure if I worked more often i would have learned a lot fro the company. Management was pretty good, she always made sure everything was copacetic.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Lack of security
Great First Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOJune 7, 2016
The work is fast pace and fun. You get to build customer relationships when helping with outfit selection. There are also amazing events; I love how NY&Co. support St. Jude's Hospital with yearly fundraisers! Though management can be a coin toss.
Pros
Employee discount, good staff, fun events
Cons
High turnover, healthcare, credit pushing
Horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Factory outlet mallMarch 21, 2016
Niagara Falls is the worst location to work for horrible management nothing is ever done on time. People quit all the time and they expect employees to cover other people shifts and the managers won't come on to help except for there workdays. No room for advancement and the managers will make you do their job without the pay. Worst place to work!!!
Cons
One of the managers there gives employees a hard time with taking there breaks
Loved it
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJuly 12, 2016
This job was wonderful to me. The facility is beautiful and you can balance your home life and job life because of the hours of some of the positions at this facility. My boss was great and understanding at the time when I worked there they had excellent benefits though the pay is very low for the job you perform.
Reputable and fun fashion
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Milpitas, CAMay 15, 2016
I was excited about going to work everyday except for having the worst schedules.I learned hold to fold,use the register,and help our clients. At first it is a bit overwhelming due to all the multitasking but all that is needed is some proper training.
Pros
discounts, nice clothes
Cons
short breaks, worst hours
Easy work but pay is horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Simpsonville, KYMarch 1, 2016
The work was not difficult. However, the temperature is not much different than what the temperature outside was for the day. A typical day is organizing and re-stocking merchandise.

Management is friendly most of the time. There is no room for advancement. Hours are not guaranteed but they don't want you to work any where else, even though pay is $8.00 an hour. Managers make bonuses and get freebies but there are no incentives for the regular associates.

This company pushes their store credit cards. There are supposed to be incentives to being the associate with the highest amount of credits but I never saw or heard of anyone receiving anything... other than management.

Training is non-existent.
Pros
Job is not difficult
Cons
Minimum Pay.
My experiance
Cashier Associate (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAJuly 24, 2016
Don't remember to upscale for me I felt uncomfortable working here being as though I was black an most of the atmosphere was Caucasian from a somewhat suburban area. I didn't like it it's my opinion. I like a diverse atmosphere where I don't feel uncomfortable and I feel welcome.
Worst retail job, in all my 20 years, working in retail.
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 14, 2016
I worked at the New York &Company in the Columbia Mall. Management is horrible, unprofessional. The work culture was very negative. They don't care about the people and how they treat you.
Benefits
Cons
Employee's mean nothing to this company.
stylish,fun,music
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJune 24, 2016
Everyday was a busy,messy day on a regular it's a women's clothing store and lot's of women love to shop.I learned great customer service how to set up credit cards payments ext.
Pros
work with schedule
Cons
When closing store its very dirty, messy.
Same work each day
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAFebruary 19, 2016
There was not much differences in the work. Not much variety in the differences of working or working styles. The place was sometimes empty and had dull moments with nothing much to do. Though the place was a safe environment to work in. There was a manager or assistant manager often as possible in sight.
Pros
Safe, clean, not difficult or complicated
Cons
Not much variety in the work
Always Busy
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJJanuary 28, 2016
This is a very popular clothing store that always had customers no matter the day or time. There was always work that needed to be done weather it was during opening or closing hours. You must wear specific attire and always have a customer friendly attitude. I worked a big store so clean up and responsibilities were more difficult than other stores. Before every shift there was a mini meeting to go over current acceptable coupons and deals for the day.
Pros
Great Business
Cons
Health Benefits
lenient fun fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nyack, NYJune 11, 2016
typical work day consist of ringing fast and keeping store clean
learned about stores numbers
management is organized
co-workers are helpful
hardest part is cleaning store
enjoyable part is store meetings
Pros
overnight shift available
Cons
breaks
A great environment to build patience and social life
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rego Park, NYJanuary 28, 2016
Working for New York and Company was a pleasure for my social life. It has helped me create great relationships with the customers and co-workers. It has also improved my skills of sales and closing techniques. The company was great, but the scheduling was hectic and stressful.
Pros
Awesome relationship building, and skill and character building.
Cons
Low pay and stressful schedule.