New York & Company Employee Reviews

View of a Sale assoicate
SALES ASSOCITAE (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXJune 23, 2017
They take advantage of your time, a lot of hard work for not a lot of pay. The cooperation as a whole is flawed. The coupons have so many loopholes, that customers get mad at the associates, when its the companies fault.
Pros
Knowing the sales ahead of time, getting the new things first
Cons
The customers and coupons
Supportive
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJune 22, 2017
A typical day starts with working at the register: Completing transactions, doing returns/ exchanges, telling customers the deals for the day and encouraging them to apply for a card and get more discounts when approved. In between performing these transactions, I am checking with the customers in the fitting room: checking for different sizes, opinions on what they are wearing, and making suggestions to enhance their styles. I may be asked to work on "go backs", which is putting back items customers have tried on and don't want to purchase. I can also be asked to work on the "floor" where I greet customers that enter the store, ask if they need any assistance, and look for items for them.

I have learned a lot in the retail business. I have learned to problem solving skills to the retail business and my using more of my empathy to understand a customer's frustrations. Working at New York and Company made me work on my social skills and become more acquainted with the customers.

The work place culture is good, fun, and there is always a teaching moment. I have always been encourage to ask questions by my managers and co workers. Also to remember we all are supporting each other in any way we can. Sometimes it's the company you keep that make the shift pass by so quickly.

The hardest part of the job is when you deal with a customer that feels they are entitled to mistreat you because you are of service to them. Also "go backs" and folding clothes can be very difficult, especially when you take the time to organize them and the customers undo what you have done. Standing
  more... at long periods time can be difficult as well.

The most enjoyable part of the job are management/coworkers. We all come different walks of life, working towards their goals in life and it is refreshing to see how much they care for the satisfaction of customers and they do everything possible to achieve it. This, in turn, motivates me to perform better.
Pros
It's a different experience form my previous job. Management and co workers are supportive.
Cons
I am working part time even though I applied for a full time position, Some of my hours have been cut due to budgeting.
Provide customer service by greeting and assisting customers
Assistant Manager Retail (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAJune 21, 2017
Listen to and resolve customer complaints, provide staff with assistance in performing difficult or complicated duties. Monitor sales staff to ensure that the goals are met.
A constant headache
Junior Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 21, 2017
They will use you until there is nothing left to give. I love my store; however, my store manager and district manager never appreciate what the ASM , sales associate, and myself did.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCJune 21, 2017
Great place to work. management is great. Coworkers are fun to work with. I've learned a lot when it comes to taking care of customers. Pay could be better.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
No breaks, not enough pay
Growth
Sales Leader/Manager (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJune 20, 2017
New York and Company love to see growth within the job. If you are interested in growing in the company all you have to be is dedicated smart and willing.
Fast and Fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJune 20, 2017
I love working at NYCO, it gives you a chance to see fashion up close. you also form a bond with your fellow sales associates. you become a family. Also the discounts aren't bad!
Pros
Awesome discounts, Awesome Management
Cons
rude customers sometimes. a lot of clean up work.
Great learning experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 19, 2017
Working at New York & Company was a great learning experience that taught me what it is like to work in a retail environment, as well as to always treat others how you want to be treated.
Great experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLJune 19, 2017
I love working here, it was a overall great experience with the employees that Ive worked with. Wish I could have moved up in the company but I need better pay for me and my son with it only me being the provider.
Pros
Great company
Cons
could do better with benefits
Retail Co-Manager needed something new
Store Co-Manager, Oakbrook (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJune 19, 2017
Typical Retail management for day to day activities - customer service, daily cash deposits, managing employees, writing schedules.

Loved meeting people each day, merchandising outfits based on the daily inventory receipts.
Pros
discount
Cons
low pay
productive
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, NJJune 15, 2017
okay place to work out. could be extremely slow and boring at times. gain good experience working with other and helping customers. fun to work in retail industry
Fun work place
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 15, 2017
I really enjoyed working here , despite the new managers. The new managers that came aboard kind of abused there power as management . However the managers previously were extremely a pleasure to work with
a typical day at work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 14, 2017
Is a place for a person that likes to stay in a field of retail. And if the individual likes to associates with customers daily face to face and likes to deal with the public
good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJune 14, 2017
it was a good place to work. typical day was busy and just ringing and getting people to sign up for the credit cards. The managment is okay.
the hardest part of the job is probably convincing people to sign up for the credit card.
Fun Place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 14, 2017
Not only a great place to work but also a great place to shop. Great incentive specials. Good employee discount. Opportunity to advance within the company
Did not enjoy working here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Riverhead, NYJune 12, 2017
I felt really out of place working here. I was the oldest person working at the store. Most of the people who worked there were 25 and under and I am over 40. The hours were not good if business was slow they would send me home early after working 1-3 hours. The people there were very nice but I just felt out of place.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
hours were not steady
Great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pottstown, PAJune 12, 2017
I loved it here felt like home it was a nice environment and it was a really easy. A typical day was walk in talk to the manger about what you needed to do rather it was greeting tables or the fitting room.
Good atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJune 11, 2017
If you work for a good manager, you can have a future with this company. Must have a very flexible schedule to get enough hours per week. Any sign of inflexibility will cause you to not get scheduled for any hours.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Must have 100% availability
Not Great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJune 9, 2017
New York and Company was poor at giving out raises or decent pay to associates; having seen many come in and out of the company while working there. They expect a lot with little return.
Cons
Pay. Inflexible.
Second job
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJune 8, 2017
Awesome place to work .Great foundation to learn customer service. Learned how to Cashier. The most enjoyable part of the day was seeing a customer satisfied.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York & Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9