New York & Company

New York & Company Employer Reviews

An OK place to start in management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Knoxville TNSeptember 30, 2014
Hired in as an assistant store manager. A typical day consisted of processing shipment out on the floor first thing in the morning while traffic was usually slow and assisted customers out on the floor, fitting rooms, and cash register. I learned the basics of how to operate a retail business from scheduling, coaching associates, hiring, and merchandising – more... skills. Co-workers were mostly college girls from the local university. Hardest part of the job was not having enough hours to schedule the right amount of coverage out on the sales floor, sometimes it was just you and an associate running the store for the majority of the day. Received a pretty decent discount and they were always marking items down. – less
Fun company to work for
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHSeptember 29, 2014
Retail management, was owned by the Limited brands at the time, it was a nice start to management in retail.
My first Job
Sales associate (Former Employee), Temecula, CASeptember 28, 2014
Pros: taught me so much about retail
Cons: not enough hours
They gave me my first job and taught me everything I know about retail. I'm still in contact with my manger there. I loved this job and was sad to leave, but I needed to move on because of money.
Fun Job/and good incentives
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Colonie, NYSeptember 19, 2014
Little opportunity for advancement. It was fun and the people were generally nice. Work starts an hour before the mall opens and ends at given time. Depends on customer traffic.
high volume location
Store Sales Leader (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYSeptember 14, 2014
Top of the line corporation, great salary, benefits, health insurance, wonderful vision
Loved working there.
Store Sales Leader (Former Employee), Lanesboro, MASeptember 10, 2014
Pros: made my own schedule.
Cons: constantly changing the floorset and would never have the product on time to complete it.
Great opportunity to advance if you live in the New York City area. Loved working for them but my store closed.
Not too awesome
Management Support Associate (Current Employee), Kenner, LASeptember 7, 2014
At first I really enjoyed my job, but as I learned the people and understood what the business was about I hated it. Customers are rude and Customers come first which means NO RULES for customers.
fun job but not a lot of room for advancement
Sales (Former Employee), DeptfordSeptember 7, 2014
Pros: employee discount, co-workers
Cons: poor management and store policies
The staff and management team made this a fun job. Things were taken too seriously sometimes, with some managers thinking it's okay to keep staff there until 1AM or later on weeknights. Sometimes stressful. Not a ton of room for advancement. Good customers and good staff members who were usually willing to go the extra mile for customers.

The stores – more... enforces staff to ask many questions at the register which customers hate. I got yelled at my customers a lot just for doing my job. – less
A day at New York and Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Moorestown, NJSeptember 4, 2014
Working at New York and Company it would be folding clothes ,floor set changes, and helping customers. Learning the cashier wasn't easy at first but I eventually got. Management was always a change. My co-workers were find and fun to work with. Nothing wasn't the hard but, I enjoyed helping people.
Packaging (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: work environment; people in general
Typical day at work is having great customer service, organization, and time management skills.
Fun place to work
Co-Manager (Former Employee), Annapolis MDSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: no room for growth
great company it is hard to move up the ranks. I loved the discount and the fast pace of the store
Fun and Fashionable Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Parma, OHAugust 31, 2014
Pros: fun people to work with
Cons: no benefits, short lunch breaks
A typical work day involves greeting customers and helping them find the latest fashion right for them.
Fast Paced and Fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAAugust 31, 2014
There was always something to do whether it was stocking freight or helping customers. I enjoyed working here.
Boring and sad
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Davenport, IAAugust 29, 2014
It seemed like no one liked working there. The dogs were not properly cared for by manager.
Sr. Network Analyst (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 29, 2014
Assistant manager of IT services in day to day responsibilities which included ensuring users are fully operational in our to support the business.
Management treatment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Nyack, NYAugust 27, 2014
Pros: great employee discount
Cons: open door policy does not exist, no respect by dm, ignored trying to move up in the company
They do not have knowledgeable DM's to take notice of valued workers its never enough, DM are not held accountable for there actions or decisions. Visual team is awesome great people to work with, if there is a such thing as a open door policy then I didn't notice, wwhen trying to move up in the company you are put on the back burner, you cannot have – more... a family life outside the if you are a part of management. – less
Rules are NOT made to be broken
Store Sales Leader (Former Employee), USAAugust 22, 2014
Pros: management salary, benefits, lots of pto
Cons: no deviation from the rules, harsh punishments, no 3 strikes and you're out
I worked for NY&C for a year and a half and enjoyed it quite well. I had an amazing group of assistant managers and employees who were always willing to help out with whatever was going on and some were quite talented with merchandising. The pay for management was good (based on experience) and there was a great bonus structure in place as well, as – more... long as your inventory numbers were good. If not, you would lose up to 75% of your bonus, which I did because the previous manager and many of her employees had been stealing money and merchandise. They would change the sales a lot and sometimes with very short notice, which would make it difficult to complete before the store opened. Sometimes markdowns and promotion changes could take all day and there was usually no extra payroll to bring in additional employees to help. Work/life balance was good and I rarely had to stay late or work more than 40 hours a week if it wasn't during the Thanksgiving-New Years time frame. One word of warning: do not ever get lax with the rules. They are very stern with the rules. If an auditor shows up and you leave your lunch box in the manager's office, you will get a point off for something as simple as that. I had to give a final written warning to one of my best associates because she unknowingly processed a credit card discount incorrectly. I made a mistake with an employee discount and as soon as loss prevention discovered it, I was let go. The only other offense I'd had in a year and a half was submitting donations for St Jude in the wrong way. I was doing it in good conscience, but because I submitted it wrong, I was written up. That, along with the discount error, got me fired. My advice is to follow the rules to a tee or they won't hesitate to get rid of you. After I was let go, they systematically let go the majority of the rest of my staff as well (one of whom was out on maternity leave after recently having a baby), many who were amazing assets to the company and the store. – less
Awesome and Fun retail store
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Fresno CaAugust 20, 2014
Pros: free pants when event is taking place
Cons: short breaks
If you love to get dressed and help with some nice expensive things. This is for you. No Commission. but helps to teach how to be expensive affordably, and professionalism.
Clothing Store To Come Shop At
Part-time Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Savannah, GAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: normal business
Cons: short breaks
At First, It Started Off On The Right Track. Then As You Continue To Work There, You Start To Feel Uncomartable for some reason.
enjoyable environment
Sale Associate (Former Employee), Elizabeth, NJAugust 14, 2014
Pros: stability
fun and fast paced
coworkers are awesome.
Love coming to work everyday
Love the holiday season at my job