New York & Company Employee Reviews

An ok type of workplace with no benefits
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAAugust 23, 2015
A typical day at work would be filled with multiple tasks to complete before my time at work was over for that day. I learned that it can be very difficult juggling different projects all at once but it can be done in a timely manner. Management is completely unfair; They expect their employees to come in to work wearing closed shoes and when employees come in something that doesn't fit the description, they get penalized. When the managers come into work, they wear shoes that don't fit the description and don't get penalized for their actions. Also, management is very petty. For instance, my boss sent a text message that I sent her about something of my concern to another manager instead of coming to me and talking to me about whatever she had an issue with. My co-workers were great! I got along with them all and I was able to work with them with no issues. The hardest part of this job was having to work under a very petty boss. The most enjoyable part of this job was working with customers, my co-workers, an feeling like I've made a difference in customer's lives.
Retail Management
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VADecember 4, 2015
Fast paced retail environment, very little downtime, definitely no chance getting bored. Constant sales and promotions, fun.
Pros
Fun, face paced
Cons
Stressful, must work all weekends and holidays
Work was productive but challenging.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2015
You arrived at work, got your things in the locker before punching in. Talk to the manager, and they give you the update of the day. What specials are there for the day, what coupons are valid or not valid. You pretty much get to do a lot of everything until the very end when you clock out.

I enjoyed helping the customer, taking their clothes to the dressing rooms. Getting different sizes for them, making them feel at home with the store. I did enjoy ringing up as well, but my biggest challenge was getting credits from our customers. I did pretty good- I wasn't the best, but I did a decent job.

I got a long with most of my co-workers, but the one thing that really bothered me was that a lot of the management always talked among themselves. Sometimes ignoring customers, or calling us the associates to attend them when we already working on something else. Some times I felt like they were trying to be superior then us since they have a higher title that they use that against us.

All in all New York & Company was still a job, and I put my best foot forward and worked my hardest until the very end.
Pros
Getting payed
benefits?
Nice company to work for-good benefits-nice people
Senior Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2015
Was a great place to work. Highly recommend. Friendly atmosphere.
Standard benefits and perks. Convenient location, new office space, clean and bright.
Productive fun environment
Company Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2016
I love clothes. The job itself was great. Meeting new people in the process was a bonus. Dressing manikins, outing outfits together, jewelry. Very nice and creative place to work.
Pros
Discount on merchandise
Cons
Short breaks no benfits
Good little side job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMarch 7, 2016
This is my second job for gas money and the ladies I work with are great. Kinda wish I had more hours but I understand we have to rotate.
Very friendly working environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 14, 2015
This job usually consist of me making sure all of our customers get whatever they need whether it is looking for a perfect size, ordering something online, picking out outfits, and ringing up their transactions. Every hour on the hour our managers read the sales associates the numbers of how much money we made for the hour, how many credit cards we've opened and the goals for the day. One thing I really like about this job is the communication within the store. Each employee is given a walkie and we communicate around the store to each other with that. Usually the hardest part of the job is cleaning up the store especially after a really busy day. Altogether the work environment is always friendly everyone is always smiling and working together to reach the goals of the store.
Cons
no 15 minute breaks.
Fun, Fast, and Fabulous- With Exceptions.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXAugust 10, 2015
Be prepared for a lot of fun and a lot of pressure when you work for NY&CO. Please read-- you'll be glad you did.

A typical day consists of morning cleaning, opening procedures and 90% of the time, some amount of go-backs. Go-Backs are the clothes left over from the previous night (and sometimes when it's extremely busy or short-handed, the go-backs can be from multiple previous nights.) and this includes hanging and folded go-backs. Each and every single task has a detailed manner in which it must be completed. But don't let this turn you away; for there are so many of them and it gets so busy, that by your second to third month, you will have nailed almost every one of them-- if an only if you work hard enough. This is why it is so apparent that the workers know what they're doing-- because they do. Granted, it does take everyone different amounts of time to get the hang of everything and that is very much okay. Most of the employees and managers are and should be willing to help you out with getting familiar with procedures. They want you to be the best you can be! This is all done while answering phones and grabbing clothes for the customer on the line whom has you put it on hold for her, processing freight, untangling jewelry, cleaning the cash wrap (register area), helping present customers, processing credit card payments, purchases, returns, exchanges, straightening the sales floor, walking the floor to check on customers, dressing/undressing up to 30 mannequins with multiple-piece outfits including jewelry and accessories depending on the season and size
  more... of your store, or.....

All of the above. At once.

But, you're on a team and this is why it's important to get familiar with procedures and protocol that way you can all work efficiently. Do this, and they'll love you forever. I promise.

What I learned at this company is that you cannot kill what you did not create. This has both positive and negative connotations, but with every job, each has it's ups and downs. Going into New York and Company I was very styleless and sort of timid. This all changed as I became comfortable and used to procedures, customer service, coworkers and management. It all came rather quickly for me. Management was a bit intimidating at first, but only because they had been with the company for a long time and knew exactly what they wanted for the company. It was admirable and the type of attitude I adapted to. Unfortunately, before my time with the company neared an end, a manager was hired who was quite alright at first, but who's true manipulative colors began to show.

Having worked there for close to three years, I had a wonderful time but never saw any chance of advancement or promotion. I did not create the brand ambassador that I became, and I cannot kill this brand ambassador. I love their clothes and will continue to wear their stuff! That is the positive. The negative side, is that I did not create the turmoil that ensued, nor could I kill the turmoil as much as I wanted to. I realized that no matter how many attempts I made, I could not be the fixer of the store because management simply didn't implement the rules nor the standards with which the company is supposed to hold themselves up to.

The hardest part of the job is keeping it together whilst in front of customers. NY&CO emails coupons and the customers can tend to be and act pretty entitled to some sort of discount. This is one of the downfalls of the company giving out so much is that when a coupon doesn't work, or is expired, it is taken out on the associates and the company won't do much about it. They continue the confusion. The coupons are self explanatory but customers again can feel some sort of entitlement and it can basically boil blood and cause turmoil. It's not every day, but it is often. My advice, is please don't let a bad day stop you from powering forward. It isn't worth it. I'm no longer working there because I didn't power forward. Trust me on this one.

The best part of this job is all of the above that I have mentioned. This is the absolute BEST company to work for if you really want to pursue any type of job because it really contains almost every single aspect of the workplace. Be it office, administrative, managerial, etcetera, New York and Company will give you the necessary skills to work anywhere!
Pros
So many fun company contests and chances for stores to compete with each other to win prizes, parties and even days where you can wear jeans!
Cons
Subject to employee.
Nice place to work, depending on management
Store associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rancho CucamongaJune 10, 2013
I gave NY&CO benefits 5 stars because when they gave you discounts they REALLY spoiled you. On sales events like "Everything In The Store 50% Off", associates got 30% ON TOP of the 50%. So your totals would come out to less than $10 each article of clothing so you really had no excuse NOT to wear their clothes. It was awesome.

Most if not all medium to high end stores have a credit card with their company. With our economy, it's really hard to get someone to open up a credit card with your store. You literally have to sell them but in the end it truly does benefit customers that come to the store frequently (unless they don't pay their bill on time!)

Friendly management, everyone got along (for the most part). At one point I considered them my second family.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
trying to earn a credit
Productive, great team.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Highland Village, TXJuly 17, 2015
Arrive and told about goals of the day. Work cashier and sell credit card to customers. Tidy store, dressing room, restock, put safety tags on new clothes, and help with new floor sets. I learned how to properly work with my co-workers and how to properly interact with customers. My management was a very productive and effective team that gave it their all and helped the sales associates in any way possible. The hardest part was learning how to deal with difficult customers. The most enjoyable aspect of this job was helping customers.
Hard Job if you are a manager
Assistant store Manager (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLOctober 7, 2015
Expect way to much from you. Long hours sometimes i had to come in at 5am. Barely and coverage and they want everything to be done.
terrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILFebruary 8, 2016
very stressful environment. manager was very agressive at demanding my improvement in store. i was always to do odd jobs i had never seen anyone do.
Disappointing place to work - misled when hired about benefits and bonus
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 8, 2015
Who doesn't love women's clothes. Poor upper management - no vision, loves to gossip and talk about employees. Would not recommend to work for this company.
Pros
womens clothes
Cons
poor level over upper management -
Beautiful clothing at a reasonable price!
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAJuly 16, 2013
I worked as a store associate and my job was to make customers feel welcomed and appreciated as soon as they walked through the door. I would help them in the fitting rooms as well as at the register, and always tell them the latest on sales and coupons. I didn't work much with co-workers, mainly just with management. I wish I had more opportunities to get to know my co-workers. The hardest part of the job were the competitive hours and trying to boost my number of sales. The most fun part was helping customers choose an outfit for whatever event and have them going home feeling and looking good!
Pros
store discounts
Cons
limited hours, competitive hours
A Typical Day at work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  4700 Peacanland Mall Monroe, LA 71203October 16, 2013
A typical day at work is making sure the customers are happy when they leave with the store merchandise. I've learned that ever customer isn't the same as for as personality and style. The management team is very understanding and friendly, as well as the co-workers. The hardest part about this job is that everyone have to do the maintenance work; as for as climbing up the ladder and changing the light bulbs. I'm afraid of heights. The most enjoyable part of this job is making sure the customers are comfortable.
Pros
the pros at this job is the discount.
Cons
the cons are working four hours a day, at the most twelve hours a week and management can be fulltime so no healthcare benefits.
Fun and inviting environment!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAOctober 21, 2013
Daily I would go in review sales flash from day before, re merchandise, fill in sales floor and review emails. Write up a to do list, prioritizing most important to least. Assign sales associates their role for the day, coach team as needed in regards to customer issues, selling techniques, training and developing my team and visuals/standards. I loved everything about my job from District Manager,my asst. managers, sales associates and customers. What I enjoyed most was promoting my team from sales associates to managers as well as assisting customers finding what they are looking for.
Pros
bonus program, 401k, annual trips for top preformers
Cons
job advancement
Don't value employee
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNOctober 29, 2015
I worked at the mall of america for a year all thw coworkers were amazing qnd the managers too. But this company does not value their employees. All they care about is credit and they pressure too much over it very frustrating. Not stable hours unless you're a manager and they cut your hours if you don't make your credit goals. I like the store but the company needs to care more about employees after all without us they would be nothing. Definitely would not recommend anyone to work here.
Pros
Good discount
Retail store with a lot of great workers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 17, 2015
Worked the cash register, Also i took care of the floor. Straightening up the racks and shelves, paying attention to customers and what they might need that can better their shopping experience. Co- workers worked just as hard and they taught me a lot. I enjoyed my day at work when things were smooth and customers were happy,it would get difficult at times during the holidays which is expected so i just got prepared.
A very hardworking but fun environment.
Accounts Payable Vendor Relations Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2012
I enjoy working for my company, the ethics, culture and with the colleagues. However, it's. It enough - I strongly believe the company is lacking the room for personal growth for its employees.
Pros
summer fridays and wear jeans to work (everyday)
Cons
poor benefits program, poor salary and promotions
over worked but well compinsated for your misery
buyer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 25, 2013
I've worked at New York and Company for over 5 years and have seen a lot of changes since the new CEO took over a few years ago. I have learned a great deal in regards to professionalism but would have to say that I am very unhappy with the current situation going on across multiple departments.

Design: I have never seen a turn over rate so high in my life. Even the HR specialist hired to recruit people quit b/c she couldn't convince anyone to work with our EVP or Design.

Merch: I've worked under several EVP's and the current evp is the most disorganized and unprepared professional. She favors a certain merchant that she has promoted to run Casual despite the fact that this merchant has yet to run a successful or profitable business. She has managed to run every business into the ground and yet my CEO promoted her to run all of Casual.. Not sure what the Board of Directors was thinking but oh well.
Pros
promote from within
Cons
everything else... work you to the bone, very competitive, very political

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York & Company. Our community is ready to answer.