New York & Company Employee Reviews

stressful with impossible expectations, left with a great group of friends
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJJune 5, 2017
I constantly worked 10 or more hours a day. The expectations by corporate were impossible and the pay is horrendously low for how much you give to the company. it is almost impossible to move up in the company because in order to do so means you will have no life and you make zero mistakes in life (which is impossible for humans). There is a fast turnover of employees because the job is unbearable when it comes to enforcing the customer is always right, floorsets that get criticized by every superior and the daily in store changes with promotions and visual changes. The people there made it worth it for me. If you have a great team of charismatic associates, it makes the work bearable. If you have a good team behind you, it makes it a lot easier to bear with all the irritating moments. Many times I got support from my team (management and associates) and it turned frustrated tears into a smile.
Pros
coworkers, discounts on cute clothes, 1 hr breaks (unpaid)
Cons
corporate guidelines, constant full store promotional changes, ridiculous floorsets
Great Company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 4, 2017
I enjoyed the work environment and customers were always wonderful...The work flow and pay were also wonderful. There was always plenty of work to do.
Poor Management
Management Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Flowood, MSJune 2, 2017
Management was not very good at all! Hours would be cut if she did not like you. Hourly pay rates differed often. Hourly pay could increase and decrease. Did not receive benefits or competitive pay.
Very Productive and fast-paced work enviornment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 1, 2017
While working for New York and Company, I highly enjoyed what job duties I obtained. I learned how to operate a cash register for the first time at 18 years of age, I learned the names of all kinds of different clothing brands, I enjoyed stocking items and organizing the sales merchandise and keeping the store well maintained for customers.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Not enough work hours
fun
Sales/ Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJune 1, 2017
This job was a easy job to have it wasn't very
difficult work good first job or someone looking just to
Average Retail Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 1, 2017
While working in retail can be fun, it can also be boring at times. It is hard to stay busy if the store is slow that day. Management does do an excellent job in training, though.
Joyful Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MAJune 1, 2017
At my time of working for NYCO it was always a really great day at work. Management was awesome and they always made the work day exciting. It was always filled with new ways to promote sales and whoever ended the month with the most sales would receive a reward. Customers were always friendly and it made the work day go by much faster especially on weekends! The hardest part of the job was doing floor sets and re signing the store.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
Pay rate
Fun place to work, most customers are really sweet
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 31, 2017
I had a bad experience with the managers but other than that I loved working there. The dont give you too many hours so if youre in school that helps.
My day
Sales Representative / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Whitehall Township, PAMay 31, 2017
Trained new cashiers on procedures, customer service and sales techniques.
Greeted customers promptly.
Received customer payments.
Totaled bills and calculated taxes.
Described products and services in detail.
Assisted customers in selecting items based on needs.
Created attractive displays to promote items.
Processed customer returns.
Reported security and service incidents to management.
Collected and stored coupons.
Assisted on sales floor as needed to maintain service standards.
Warm and friendly work environment
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAMay 29, 2017
I worked at NY&Co for a summer - it was my first official job, and it was a great experience. The management was kind and helpful and my coworkers were very friendly. Would love to go back if they had a location near where I live now!
Needs seriopus look at operations
First Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXMay 29, 2017
Not a good place to work, too many issues. Management need to understand employee relations. No discipline and everyone does what they feel like too.

Thanks
Pros
Cons
Poor Management
Interesting
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PA 15601May 29, 2017
Good experience. Gave me a chance to learn about retail sales and what goes into it. Gained customer service skills. Learned how to time manage, and gain other skills.
Decent retail job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMay 27, 2017
It is a very nice company to work for. The overseers are very vigilant , It is retail so decent work hours. The employee discount is low and the employees are not able to get alot of discounts
Pros
hours, nice clothes
Cons
pay, discount
Fast paced, friendly work environment, communication is needed
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 25, 2017
Good pay for the work that you do. Many departments of the company seem to not communicate and often problems arise. Chaotic at times but you learn a lot with the company. You have to enjoy the people you work with. Management seems to be very distant with communicating as well.
Pros
good discount, decent pay
Cons
retail, unrealistic goals, inconsistent schedule
Not so fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDMay 25, 2017
The job is slow. all you do is organize the tables help customers pick an outfit or answer any questions they have. Try to get customers to apply for a credit card.
Very fun place to work with growth opportunities
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 24, 2017
A typical day at new york and company always changes. Some days you have floor sets and others you are strictly focused on customers. I learned how to better work with a team, I also learned how I can manage a team as well as keep the business running smoothly. Management is always there to help amd willing to come in early and stay late in order to complete tasks and help ensure everything is done properly. The hardest part of the job sometimes I would have to say is the floor sets with haw many are in a couple month span and with new product coming out all the time. You are always looking for a new way to set product for good traffic flow and newest to oldest product. The most enjoyable part of the job is how close you become with the other employees and how supportive they are when you need help. I also enjoy the atmosphere in the store with the customers and employees. Always a happy and welcoming feeling.
Pros
Ability to grow in the company
Cons
No benefits for associates
Key holder / sales associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  4261 broadwayMay 24, 2017
If you do not have a lot of patience this is not the place for you working here for 3 years with no experience I've learned a lot but management sucked
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, rude customers, moody mangers
Fast-paced and friendly customers
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 23, 2017
A typical day at work consists of assisting customers at check out, offering instant credit accounts at checkout, answering any questions about merchandise, informing customers about sales and coupons we are having that day, and restocking inventory and cleaning the floor.
good place to work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAMay 22, 2017
good place to work and really nice managers, great work ethics and really professional. the company does nt have a lo of benefits but have a great pay definetely.
Fast pace high fashion
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIMay 21, 2017
New York & Company is a fast paced high fashion retail clothing store dedicated to making customers for life by impeccable customer service and building relationships with customers