New York Blood Center

New York Blood Center Employee Reviews

Manager of Apheresis Dept
Manager, Apheresis (Former Employee), Westchester Cty Medical Center, Westchester, NYJune 12, 2015
Pros: Excellent team players
Cons: The unexpected emergency
Managed scheduling of nurses to travel to area hospitals to perform skills required in the area of Apheresis
Learning each member of team, their strengths and what each RN
needed to update. Team members were skilled and welcomed team meetings and updates relative to updating skills.
The job was manageable with the cooperation of the team members who were most willing to expand their roles as required.
Most difficult was accommodating the need of hospital clients when staffing was low.
Ex employee Donor Specialist1-3 may 16 2015
Phlebotomy Technician 1-3 (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 16, 2015
Pros: free lunch, saving lives, 1199 union
Cons: understaffed, different hours, management dont care
I worked here for 8 years til end of 2014. What can I say. Great experience, learned alot. Typical day in New York at a drive was doing medical histories, donor reactions, recruiting for red cell donations as well. You get to sometimes work in a fast paced environment depending which coworker is on the schedule:/Sometimes u work and have lazy workers talking behind a booth loud, unprofessional. Great union benefits package but things are changing alot. They are debating to strike because management wants to reduce their benefits and everything u worked hard for is being taken away. Firing people is very common here to rehire new workers at a tremendous lower salary. Management doesnt care u have a family. All they care about is collect that pint of blood. They put u to work in a far away drive when there is a unit just 15min away from ur home and why cant I get a switch with other employee if they agree.There a dumb 24hr policy in advance. Dont ever be late because it doesnt matter if u have a baby, doesnt matter if u go to college in evenings or worked til 12midnight. The blood center still expects u to never be sick and be a energizer bunny eventho they pay for ur schooling they make the hours impossible for you to get to class. Some people in charge let the power get to their bigg heads and will start picking on u. Maybe cause i have nicer hair or a slimmer body than u. Whatever the reason was its Lots of drama, too many changing policies to keep up with and will mandate u to work even on ur day off. I enjoyed my mission and working with favorite team leaders and pics as – more... a family. Just sad management doesnt appreciate and value the good workers and try to retain the good ones. Instead get rid of the old and bring in the new worker lower salary. Soon bloodcenter will be a low paying job if they dont listen to the workers. A stepping stone for student's who wanna do more. I advise anyone please go back to school while working here. Never be late because it will be used against you even if there is no proper documentation. Stay away from the gossip. – less
Productive and exciting environment
Coordinator of Collections (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 13, 2015
A typical day at the New York Blood is educational. You can learn about donors different blood types. Whether they are eligible to donate blood and the different procedures they may be eligible to donate.
Sample Management Lab
Lab Assistant (Current Employee), Westbury, NYApril 18, 2015
Working here gave me a sense of a hands on expeince of working in a lab setting environment. I was able to obtain knowledge on lab machinery.
Good organization
Senior Coordinator (Current Employee), Elmsford, New YorkApril 1, 2015
Pros: Used to have a great benefit package
Cons: Too much red tape to cut through at times.
The organization is good overall. Its a great place to work and make stepping stones. However, there are times when you can be at a crossroads or at a stand still.
Dedicated to patient care & Disease erradication
Manager, Compliance Monitoring & QA Systems (Current Employee), Westbury, NYMarch 4, 2015
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: benefits being cut back, frequent sr. staff changes creating confusion as to what direction the company is taking, lack of commnication
My typical day involves working with Operations directors & staff to assist in maintaining GxP in their operations. I am the QMS software administrator, currently developing the next phase roll-out of Quality Processes. i am the liasion between NYBC & the software vendor. I assist in development of workflows, entering in the configuration changes, creating validation plans & endure there are executed appropriately.
I also back up the Director of Regulatory Affairs, in the reporting of BPDR, ensuring licenses and Permits are up to date.
I also assist the internal audit team as needed during internal audits.

I enjoy working on different projects, interacting with operational staff to better understand their processes and needs, and ensuring the company is in compliance with all regulations.

The most difficult (I would rather say tedious) is validation - process validation, software configuration change validation, etc.
Productive and fast-paced workplace
Quality Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 30, 2015
Learned a tremendous amount of information about the process of blood donation. My coworkers were friendly and very helpful. Very serious but not a stressful environmental. I would definitely consider working there again if given the opportunity.
Productive environment
Office Administrator (Former Employee), Garden city, NYOctober 29, 2014
Pros: great compensation
Cons: long hours
Data entry
Assisted with other in office duties
Helped with inventory.
A great place to work as well as fun and a work place that promotes team work.
The New York Blood Center has lived up to it's claim of being "An Employer of Choice".
Assistant Manager Component Laboratory (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 23, 2014
Pros: tuition reimbursement, competative salaries, benefits, flexible schedules
Cons: nothing comes to mind
I have worked for the New York Blood Center for over 21 years. Not only are we providing the community with life saving and sustaining products and services, The Center also employs hundreds of New Yorkers, allowing them the chance to earn a competative salary, excellent benefits. It gives its employees a chance to continue their education by allowing flexible work schedules and tuition reimbursement. These are but only a few of the pros for working for The New York Blood Center.
My work life at NYBC
Donor Relations Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 4, 2014
A typical day at work is arriving and welcoming all persenting donor at the door. Being able to answer any question that they might have. Driecting them to the next stage of their donation. Becasue of who I work for I was able to optain the knowledge I need to educate our donors on bloodology. Management here are to help you with any problems you might have and resolve them. All of my co-workers are the best, they help make my and other employees day go but fast. The most enjoyable part of my job is thanking the donors for donating and telling them that they just saved three lives with one donation.
Quiet and very sterilize workplace
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Long Island City, NYJune 30, 2014
The environment was very sterile and quiet; yet the atmosphere was very energetic.
Extremely Satisfying
Blood Donor (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 28, 2014
Its good to know that you're helping lives to continue .
Blood is essential , and so is everyone's help.
Do not recommend
Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: there was no pros
This is review for Cellular Therapy Lab NYBC. This lab has the worst possible management and working conditions ever. Technologists are responsible for technical and nontechnical work, management dump everything on techs, do not do anything to help.Promising techs change for better while abusing them as much as they can. Management is creating animosity in between people, for their own benefits.Never ending games-every day. Techs are responsible for running the lab and are blamed for all the problems.Work conditions are extremely poor, extremely unfriendly and fake, long long hours under significant stress,24/hr on call in just between technologists.Hell on earth.
Tough schedule
Driver (Current Employee), Westbury, NYFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: a lot of overtime
Cons: you get burned out
Tough job for anyone with a family. The job is not as good as it use to be. Three tier system. Management has increased the work load. What use to be and should be a two man job is now a one man job. Very physical and tough to adjust to the schedule. You might come in at 3 a:m one day and 5 p:m or later the following day.
Excellent enviroment to work .
Clinical Lab Technician (Former Employee), 150 Amsterdam ave NYC 10018February 17, 2014
wonderful company to work for, very healthy environment, very professional personnel to work with and knowledgeable job.
A great place to work and giving back to the community at the same time.
Donor Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: easy job
Cons: shift hours and days
This is a NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION blood center. You get to meet the blood donors that one day might save your own life. Providing them excellent treatment while their volunteering their time there is a great opportunity to serve them. Management is not exactly perfect but they could manage better and make the work environment as pleasant if they listen to the workers more rather than only business priority. Like other jobs, you get to meet workers that are team player and not a team player. Overall, most of the employees work as a team. The hardest part of the job is the flexible and various shifts that they offer. Its definitely not a Monday through Friday 9-5 job. The most enjoyable part of the job is you get to meet all the donors that gives blood to save life of others and maybe that might save your life one day.
Apheresis Team Leader (Former Employee), Westbury, NYJanuary 7, 2014
My shift started out early discussion, getting everyone pumped up for the day, discussing goals, and breaking down the days activities.

I learned that you must be respected enough for co-workers to give you their best performance.

The hardest part of being a Team Leader would be having to understand and deal with so many different personalities. I think that's what made me a great team leader and the fact that my co-workers had respect for me.

The most enjoyable part of my day was meeting goals as well as everyone coming together as a team and getting things done.
The worst management possible.
Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 29, 2013
Pros: working in the city and conveniently located by the 6 train.
Cons: unfriendly work environment with the ever-so-popular "blame game."
The manager does not help and always blames the technologists for the work that is done. The technologists that are on staff are overworked and stressed out. All of the jobs, which include nontechnical work, are dumped onto the technologists. The hiring practices do not match the demographics of New York City and is unethical. It was definitely a nightmare to work there and I do not recommend that anyone work at NYBC Cellular Therapy Laboratory.
Could use some work
Senior Reference Assistant (Former Employee), Long Island City, NYNovember 8, 2013
Pros: paid lunch, days off/vacation pay
Cons: expensive health care
Doesn't value employees. Was a decent place to work with expensive benefits, lots of days off/vacation days/sick days, paid lunch break but a lot of drama.
Great work environment, very rewarding.
Donor Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 23, 2013
Every work day is different. Being in the field, we tend to meet new people every day. Dealing with different cultures has its challenges but is also a learning experience in itself. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the passion and hearing the personal motivations of each donor on why they chose to donate blood. The pride that each donor has in donating blood, knowing that they are saving a life, is the most rewarding part of this job.

1 2 3