New York Botanical Garden Employee Reviews

Visitor Service Attendant
Visitor's Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 30, 2016
Great Hours. Good Training. Ability to move up and learn different sections. Supportive co-workers. Ask anything you want.
Regular, better communication
Houseman/Transporter (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NY 10458May 12, 2016
A typical day at work would be getting everything ready for any party's, weddings, and events. Having all the inventory accounted for and lastly transporting all the goods.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Beautiful place to work, very peaceful place.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 24, 2016
Management is very hard to work with, but the employees are great. Beautiful atmosphere but like i said the management is not easy to work with and i sensed a little discrimination with the department in which i worked.
Pros
Beautiful Atmosphere
fun place to work
Visitor Services Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 4, 2016
the nybg is a great place to work full of wonderful staff, the garden has beautiful scenery and the benefits you get are free tickets, discounts on food and more
Pros
great staff
Cons
Highly analytical and professional scientific research laboratory
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 27, 2016
A typical work day includes the execution of several laboratory experiments and/or the analysis of data collected from said experiments.

Management is highly supportive of those seeking higher education and professional.

My co-workers are all enjoyable and help to create a happy and productive working experience.
Relaxing and flexible
Receptionist/ Secretary, Tram driver, Attendant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 27, 2015
Versatile and relaxing work place. Very flexible and understanding with scheduling that works well with students. Supportive management that tries to assist the best they can.
Pros
Relaxing environment, paid lunch breaks
Cons
long walking distances
Visiting Services Supervisor for Special Events (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 9, 2015
Productive work place with staff security, direct customer service contact with customers and members on Special Events.
Productive and Fun! Great way to gain experience!
Everett Children's Garden Volunteer Explainer (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 3, 2015
At work, I'd sign in once I got to the site and would get started by going to the Advanced Explainer (coworker) to receive my assignment. Sometimes I would have options of which stations I would want to work in. I appreciated that because it's a great privilege to choose what you'd work best in. Then I would do any required set up of the station and based on my training and biology knowledge, I would explain the stations to the children coming in with their families so they could learn something new. I would answer questions and interact with the kids with their desire to learn and explore. The experience is very rewarding because I like contributing to a child's intrinsic love for learning while entertaining them at the same time. The stations would sometimes get very creative. There was a lunch break where I'd interact with the other explainers working. It was a very pleasant experience to know the diverse array of my coworkers and was never really bored working there, even if it was a less busy shift. Sometimes the shifts would be hectic if there was a lot of people around and kids acting rowdy but I managed to keep up and attend to everyone without becoming too disorganized. Even in those moments I enjoyed myself. I would often sign up for double shifts, morning and afternoon, since I enjoyed being there so much. It gave me a lot to do. My favorite part of working there is the satisfaction to positively impact a child's knowledge.
Pros
Garden entry privileges, guest benefits, stipend, interesting events
Great environment
Visitor Services (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 19, 2015
Beautiful place with beautiful people. Once in awhile there are grumpy customers but other then that it's a chill place.
Fun, always on the run!
Intern (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 4, 2014
Days at this job would usually consist of running around the entire Botanical Garden, explaining different areas/things to people. I would explain to children how to pot plants, how to make terrariums, the flower cycle etc., the co-workers most of the time were friendly, but some of them seemed to full of them selves. The management was also very friendly, as they always told me to come to them when they had problems. Overall this is a very fun job!
Pros
Discounts!, Friendly Staff, Easy to get around, Always working - never bored
Cons
N/a
fun and exciting workplace, proactive and friendly coworkers
Shop in the Garden, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 28, 2014
I really enjoy working here. More specifically, I like the overall goal of the Shop and the environment that both the enthusiastic employees and the customers create.

The only critique that I have is that there is no room for advancement/promotion and the compensation is relatively low.
great place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 21, 2014
learned nature,

enjoyed the shows

supervisor was good enough to teach me more than i suppose to there,
Great staff and beautiful place to be employed
Visitor Services (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 10, 2013
After being here for many years, I have to say it is a wonderful place to gain experience and work. The co-workers are incredible and everyone is nice and very helpful.
Decent place to work, nice collegues
Membership Sales/Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 7, 2013
I worked here part time during college. The atmosphere was professional, and I enjoyed dealing with the staff there.
Pros
nice atmosphere
Cons
low pay, inconsistant hours
Friendly and peaceful work environment
Summer Greenmarket Intern (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 4, 2012
My coworkers are all very friendly and helpful whenever I am in need of assistance. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am able to talk freely with my coworkers. I learned how to search for certain files without the assistance of others. Mostly, I am supervised which I am happy about because she is friendly and helpful like the others, too.
Pros
discounts and free guest for admission
Cons
outdoor activities