New York Cares Employee Reviews

Rewarding experience
volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, New YorjJanuary 20, 2013
I’ve volunteered through New York Cares for over 5 years at the same after-school sites, reading with but mostly doing arts and crafts projects with elementary school-aged children; not only do I help children with these activities, I try to instill respect and open-mindedness for others around them, steer them away from negative and inappropriate behaviors, and encourage creativity and independent thinking. I always return to the same projects because I want to create a sense of stability for the children and show them people care about them. It is a misconception that children are unaware of their surroundings, but they are fully aware. I know my efforts make a difference when a child’s face lights up upon seeing me, or when I am greeted with a hug after an absence. It has been a very rewarding experience and I hope to continue to make a difference.
An Amazing Organization
Team Leader and Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 28, 2013
New York Cares gave me the opportunity to dive into many different worlds to find my niche. I feel social service, locally or globally, is a valuable component in creating personal and societal cohesiveness.

When I was green to the organization, the chain of command allowed me to reach out to someone else if I could not get in contact with my primary manager. The responses were always positive.

Their website was always user friendly, but they have recently updated it to give the volunteers more validation. Everyone needs a little validation.
Pros
validation. organization. management. proactive
Cons
some volunteers still afraid to team lead. a creative solution needed
New York Cares
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2012
Team Leader- Mad Scientist at PS 64
Lead volunteers in an after school program performing hands-on science activities with 2nd and 3rd graders.
Collaborating with volunteers in the after school program science program.
Created the hands on science activities for the 2nd and 3rd graders
Active interaction with the 2nd and 3rd graders.
Gained ability to lead youth and volunteers through implementing leadership techniques .

Team Leader- Mock Interviews with CAMBA
Lead a team of volunteers in empowering adults to succeed in a job interview through mock interviews.
Assisted in work readiness program enabling unemployed New Yorkers with the skills and tools to find, keep and advance in positions.

Team Leader- Citizens through English at CUNY Citizenship Now!
Lead a team of volunteers in contributing to society by empowering New York City’s immigrant communities by helping them prepare for U.S.Citizenship Exam.
Learning extensively about the immigrant communities lives and engaged in the exchange of stories and experiences.
Many different opportunities, flexible time schedules
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 7, 2015
New York Cares is an excellent organization to volunteer with. The areas where they provide volunteer work are very broad, there is never a lack in things to participate in. First, a person has to register online wit them and they ask for all the necessary information. Once approved there are sections on the home page to search for volunteer activities. Then choose what you want to do and make sure you arrive or let the person in charge of the organization of the activity know that you cannot make it at least a day in advance. It really is very fun if you enjoy volunteering.
Pros
One can choose what they want to participate in.
Cons
A lot of activities can run out of space very quickly.
Productive and a fun place to work.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2014
New York Cares puts you in a position to help people from all walks of life in many different ways. You meet many kind people who all share the same goal of helping others and making the world a better place. With New York Cares, you have many options to choose from. You can help fix parks, clean streets, or teach children different subjects such as Math or English. This is a great way to not only help others but to learn about yourself. I have learned that I want people to be successful. Not everyone is born into a nice home or a nice neighborhood but with hard work, anything is possible and life can improve for you.
From a Volunteer's perspective
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2013
NY Care's lives up to their name! This organization has made it possible for me to volunteer while still working by choosing my level of commitment, days of work, and interests. I have worked primarily on mucking out projects for victims of Hurricane Sandy. NY Cares has been in the Rockaways everyday since Sandy. To ensure they have enough workers, they provide bus service to their base! I have met great friends through NY Cares and have been on several other projects where I was able to meet people from other organizations and contribute to there. I'm sure I will be volunteering through NY Cares for years to come.
Fun
College Preparation Volunteer/English Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 25, 2015
Meet high school seniors through the college application process, helped them to establish appropriate lists of colleges to apply complete the Common Application, and write their college application essays

Learned how to work with teenagers in an effective and productive way using various techniques (listening, taking small brakes, incorporate their opinions on the subject etc) to keep them engaged and interested

Very professional and organized management

Co-workers
Very knowledgeable and prepared peer tutors

The hardest part of the job
Keeping teenagers engaged and motivated

The most enjoyable part of the job
Knowing i contributed in shaping another person's future
A feel good moment everytime I volunteered.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2014
New York Cares one of the premier volunteer group in New York City encompasses what volunteering should be. Easy to tackle assigned projects with knowledgeable and well prepared team leaders. Signing up for a project is a breeze, intuitively designed by management for ease of scheduling and use. Having instant gratification is not easy but as soon as you understand each groups predicament and why you volunteered every second is feel good moment.
Pros
sharing with people on what you have and know is fulfilling.
Excellent Company
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2014
Volunteering and offering my services to people in need brings me so much joy. Based on my schedule, I can go online and sign up for any event or activity and lend a helping hand to people in need. From tutoring children, to helping adults formulate their resumes, volunteering allows you to take a break from your personal life and tend to those who may be in need of assistance. Overall, it is amazing!
Pros
meet new people every time you sign up for an activity.
Cons
no cons!!
Productive work envirnoment that will help me learn and grow
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 29, 2012
I worked as a volunteer the work was rewarding because I felt like I was making a difference in people' life, by spending a few hours a week helping them in some way. Whether it be reading, to children or working at a food pantry giving out food to the homeless. I truly enjoyed the work and thought it was very rewarding.
Pros
flexible time schedule i was able to work around my time.
Cons
i had to travel far and carfare was not provivded.
Any volunteer project one is involved in always has individuals ready to make a difference in his or her community.
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2014
As soon as I arrive to the location of project, the team leader is already there and instructing everyone on what the project entails and how to execute it. Each person is willing to learn and ready to make a difference. The hardest part of the job is when the shift is over and everyone says their farewells. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and working with them while doing the project.
Efficient Non-for-profit Organization
VITA Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2013
• Certified at the basic level by the IRS to prepare taxes for low to moderate income New Yorkers.
• Provided superlative customer service and one-on-one financial counseling while preparing returns with 100% accuracy.
• Specialized in maximizing allowable tax credits, including Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit.
• Prepared tax returns utilizing TaxWise software and submitted returns bot electronically and via mail.
Great volunteering experience.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 15, 2015
New York Cares has several volunteer opportunities that permits individuals to assist in several community service activities. I had the pleasure of working in an educational environment with elementary school students. The organization gives individuals of all ages to have access to exploring skills pertaining to their career fields and/or learn new skills for a hobby or for just simply giving back in the community.
The best way to volunteer in New York City
Projects Team Learder (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2013
New York Cares has a flexible program schedule to accommodate any who wants to give out their time in the cause of helping those that need help. For almost two years now I have enjoyed every project I participated or team lead. An experience that will be life long lasting.
fun work place; ability to help others in a fun and exciting way
Activities/Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 9, 2015
helping children and patients in hospitals and giving them the care they need
helping them express themselves through arts and crafts
helping the less fortunate and allowing them to experience fun things they have not discovered before
Pros
chance to make a child smile; patient care; bonding
Exciting and Productive
Volunteer Experience (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 1, 2015
Volunteering is one of my lifetime passion.
It gives you the opportunity to meet a huge amount of loving people sharing your same ideals.
Networking is a great aspect of this organization.
Team leaders and coordinators are always helpful and welcoming.
Will always be a volunteer of this organization.
Connected me with Pro life service
Service member (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 24, 2015
I learned to service humanity with gratitude
I enjoyed and loved making the community green
I loved helping the less privilege and providing them with food
Pros
Meeting people, making friends, very flexible; pick your work time
Cons
Traveling for at least 30 minutes to and fro
Great way to volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2015
New York Cares is a non-profit organization that gives a very good opportunity to give back to society we live in. NY cares has a variety of different programs and events in which people get the opportunity to help out. I think it's a great organization.
Fun place to work as a volunteer.
Volunteer job (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 22, 2015
New York Cares is the best volunteer job in NYC. They gave us the opportunity to work with kids, teenager and adults.
My co-workers are happy people who want to help others in their free time.
flexible/fun
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2015
I love that I am able to make my own schedule. Meet cool people and still make a difference at the end of the day. Joining New York Cares has helped me to enhance my skills and further appreciate the importance of my community.

4.7