New York Cares Employee Reviews

Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer Basic Computer Trainer/Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  New York City,February 18, 2017
New York Cares is a great agency to volunteer in numerous areas.The staff is very professional and skillful.They train you if needed and you always feel comfortable in performing your tasks. I loved working working during the tax season. Once you pass the IRS test, you are assigned to a location where you assist the community residents in preparing their taxes. It is such a rewarding feeling when you can prepare their taxes and see their faces when they are told they will be getting a refund from the government. The greatest part of the tax preparation is that you always have your work reviewed before it is submitted for processing. This process avoids incorrect tax preparation which is a good feeling at the end of the day.
Pros
Many different areas to volunteer
Cons
No monetary benefits.
good outreach for anyone to impact on others
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 26, 2016
New york cares created a good medium for people to volunteer with ease and help those in need of help. they have different varieties of activities for volunteers to engage in. also at different times and locations nearest to you.
Pros
mutliple service options and different locations.
Great Place to Volunteer
Volunteer Team Leader (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2016
Great place to volunteer and acquire experience in many areas of human services. The organization is supportive, and flexible in accomodating your needs, especially when Team Leading
Review
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 30, 2017
Maintained professional relationship with NY cares. Typical day consisted of meeting with clients to assess and determine what were their needs in regards for their tax needs.
Building back our community
Volunteer for Hurricane Sandy (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 28, 2016
This was a job that helped me give back to my community after Hurricane Sandy. A lot of homes were destroyed and i helped by cleaning them out. Co Workers were very kind and helpful when it came to using tools Ive never used. This was definitely a learning experience and gave me the knowledge on how to rebuild back homes due to natural disasters.
Pros
snacks and water were provided
Cons
hot summer, dusty, dirty environment
Great organization
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2016
I volunteer with the company sporadically but every time I do it is always a great experience. The people are incredibly friendly and always prepared for the event at hand and the flexible schedule makes it incredibly easy to be able to give back with a demanding work schedule.
Volunteering
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 5, 2017
Volunteered many times with school program that allowed us to engage and interact with people of all ages in a helpful manner
Amazing
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2016
Fantastic place to work. Provides many opportunities for meeting other people who love to give back to the community. Additionally, there is something for everyone- anyone can find an area to volunteer in with New York Cares.
Awesome people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 26, 2016
I loved working at Masbia through NYCares, they were very helpful and considerate. A typical day was very busy and upbeat with a lot of interaction. I would work with them again for sure.
Volunteer
Community Engagement Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2016
fun and easy to volunteer with, great to meet people and give back to your community. I encourage everyone from all socio-economic background to give back to their community. Not just white people.
Productive and funloving
Student Education Program (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 29, 2016
It was good experience to work with New York cares where we work as team and help each other to clean parks and gardens in New York City.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Food served was not for vegan
Fun workplace
Community Engagement Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2016
I love volunteering. Volunteering provides with a good feeling and centers my sense of purpose. I recommend volunteering to anyone
Great volunteering experience.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 15, 2015
New York Cares has several volunteer opportunities that permits individuals to assist in several community service activities. I had the pleasure of working in an educational environment with elementary school students. The organization gives individuals of all ages to have access to exploring skills pertaining to their career fields and/or learn new skills for a hobby or for just simply giving back in the community.
A great organization helping the city's resident
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2016
New York Cares is a great volunteer organization seeking to improve the lives of New Yorkers in different institutions across the city.
Exciting and Productive
Volunteer Experience (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 1, 2015
Volunteering is one of my lifetime passion.
It gives you the opportunity to meet a huge amount of loving people sharing your same ideals.
Networking is a great aspect of this organization.
Team leaders and coordinators are always helpful and welcoming.
Will always be a volunteer of this organization.
Great place to volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 15, 2016
I think it is a great place to volunteer. I like the various places you can provide service and help others in New York City.
Pros
flexible options
Cons
Don't have any
Fun
College Preparation Volunteer/English Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 25, 2015
Meet high school seniors through the college application process, helped them to establish appropriate lists of colleges to apply complete the Common Application, and write their college application essays

Learned how to work with teenagers in an effective and productive way using various techniques (listening, taking small brakes, incorporate their opinions on the subject etc) to keep them engaged and interested

Very professional and organized management

Co-workers
Very knowledgeable and prepared peer tutors

The hardest part of the job
Keeping teenagers engaged and motivated

The most enjoyable part of the job
Knowing i contributed in shaping another person's future
average
Youth Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 2, 2016
this job was seasonal and i basically went on trips with kids. we had talent shows and they showed me a lot about the kids these days.
Many different opportunities, flexible time schedules
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 7, 2015
New York Cares is an excellent organization to volunteer with. The areas where they provide volunteer work are very broad, there is never a lack in things to participate in. First, a person has to register online wit them and they ask for all the necessary information. Once approved there are sections on the home page to search for volunteer activities. Then choose what you want to do and make sure you arrive or let the person in charge of the organization of the activity know that you cannot make it at least a day in advance. It really is very fun if you enjoy volunteering.
Pros
One can choose what they want to participate in.
Cons
A lot of activities can run out of space very quickly.
Great opportunities
volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 9, 2015
Interesting and wonderful experience.
wonderful opportunities. always organized.
great spirit.
xxcvbvchgfhgfhgchgc
gxghfxgfdjhgfjhgfhgfhjfg
cjhgjhgfhfhyfhjyfhjyfhyfhjyfhjyfhyfhyfht

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Cares. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6