New York City Department of Correction

New York City Department of Correction Employer Reviews

Correction has been good to me.
Correction Officer (Former Employee), East Elmhurst, NYNovember 11, 2014
Pros: 20 yr pension, benefits
Cons: can be violent.
The NYC Dept of Correction afforded me to do a multitude of things in my career, most of which I could not list here. You have to use the tools that are afforded to you. I was able to travel meet people and educate them on the Security Techniques that worked within the Department. I was chosen to work in a special unit in which I was a Investigator making arrest of violent inmates. Also was afforded the opportunity to obtain my CDL and transport inmates to and from Rikers Island. In the end I retired without ever being injured and receiving a pension with full benefits after 21 years of service. .
Internship
Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 6, 2014
Pros: helpful staff
I really enjoyed interning with the Department of Corrections. They were all very friendly and helpful to me and my fellow intern. I got the opportunity to visit Rikers with one of the officers and I made a PowerPoint that was presented in the Volunteer Services orientation. I also got the opportunity to attend the New York City Department of Corrections Partnership meetings which consisted of potential partners discussing ideas regarding working together and collaborating with the Department of Corrections on issues such as: re-entry, housing, recidivism, substance abuse and treatment, housing, and outpatient care
Awesome internship
Intern (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 30, 2014
Highly paid for internship. Very productive and good environment to learn.
Great Place to work
Correction Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: unlimited sick 364 days
My responsibilities were to process a report to the chief of the department indicating all overtime and money spent at my facility from the previous day. Also process time cards daily for all 250 staff assign to the Bronx House/ Court command also keep all files up to date on all staff etc. up to date addresses, phone numbers, emergency contact. I learned a lot wile assign in the Human Resource Division of New York City Department Of Correction. I was also responsible for training all HR staff on changes and new procedures. there was no hard part to the job I enjoyed I achieved awards for perfect attendance for approx. 10 yrs. I really enjoyed my job.
Great job.
Correction Officer (Former Employee), East Elmhurst, NYOctober 31, 2013
This was a great job. I left to look for other opportunities however I had a great experience working at DOC and would love to return one day.
law enforcement environment
Facility Information System Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: excellent health care, vacation time, job security
Cons: long hours, hoildays
working with judges, lawyers and nyc clients, the hardest part missing holidays with family, co-workers became like family, the most enjoyable part was my salary increased as time went on. Please see resume attached.
Fast paced, diverse environment
Correction Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 14, 2013
Pros: great pay, benefits, and pension.
Cons: long work hours.
The New York City Department of Correction is a stable career with advancement opportunities. This is a fast paced environment where customer service, multi-tasking, detailed orientation, and problem solving is very important.
The Job Is What You Make It
Correction Officer (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 28, 2013
Pros: a good union, good salary, opportunity for promotion if you want it
Cons: at times the job can be very demanding
The job of a New York City correction officer is certainly not an easy one. For the most part, the general public lacks an accurate perception of our profession and what it requires. Most civilians cannot fully appreciate the scope of our responsibilities. Neither are they aware of the many varieties of dangerous situations the we face on a daily basis.

I can only say, that from my experience, I have enjoyed my career with the NY City DOC. I have had the pleasure of working with some of the finest supervisors and officers. The bonds I have formed will last forever. Teamwork is of the utmost importance and that is something to always keep in mind.

The hardest part of any day is simply getting to where you might be assigned. After, just make sure you are aware of your surroundings. Do not be afraid to make your tours of inspection
to check inmate's cells and make sure everyone is accounted for and they are alive and well. CO's must remember that inmates, though they have been charged with various offenses, are human beings.

The most important thing for me was refusing to let anyone or anything prevent me from doing my job. The job of a NY City correction officer is far more complicated than it might seem to be. A jail is a busy and active community unto itself.

If you can work with others and have pride in what you do, the NY City Correction Dept it can offer a wonderful career. After having served for 28 plus years I have no regrets. There are many people I will miss when I retire.
Great place to work.Good life experience!
Correction Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 8, 2013
Pros: i was able to meet alot of people. there was alot of training that was very interesting and helpful.
Cons: uncertainty about when you were going to be able to go home sometimes.
It was a rewarding job at times you really felt like you could really help or make adifference in some of these peoples lives.I learned alot of interpersonal communication skills as well as a lot of other training.Management for the most part was okay.The hardest part of the job was to try and remember to leave the job at work and not to bring it home with you which was difficult at times.
Love it
College Aide (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 5, 2013
A job that I loved. Once you get used to where you actually work it is a great place and the coworkers make it that much better
Challenging
Warden (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 15, 2013
Pros: keeps you focus
Cons: very stressful
Care, Custody and Control of inmates. Teamwork is everything. A good leader leads with confidence and pride.
A place where I met people from all walks of life.
CORRECTION OFFICER (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 7, 2012
Pros: the benefits, the experience, and being able to retire at age fourty seven.
Cons: seeing some of my co-worker die before they retire or collect one pension check.
There was never a typical day of work at the New York City Department of Correction. You would never know what to expect, all you could do was go in with a positive attitude and make the best of the environment. I learned how to treat people how I would like to be treated and make sure that I didn't take the job home with me or bring home to the job. Every manager has their own style of how to deal with work issues. It was up to me to be able to work with whom ever. I was able to get along with all of my co-workers because it is always important to show that there is unity in that work environment for my safty as well as my theirs. The hardest was not knowing what to expect when I got there. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting so many people and building a life long bond with them.
Excellent benefits, advancement opportunity ,
Correction Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 18, 2012
Pros: very rewarding
Cons: mandatory overtime
Typical day, was to ensure care, custody & control of inmates.
Secured
Correction Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 14, 2012
Pros: pay was good for the times. benefits were very good
Cons: most of the time you had to many prisoners assigned to you at one time
There was always enough staff to do the job. Respond to emergencies. Training was always available.
Safety for the prisoners and officers was always number one.
The place was very good.
Accounting Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 19, 2012
Pros: good environment, workers were friendly, good transpiration system nearby the work place
Cons: i did not know what i did not like the job.
I was an intern. They wanted to hired me, but city economy was not good because it was after 9/11.
After all,the place was very good for work.

New York City Department of Correction Photos