New York City Department of Correction Employee Reviews

compensation and benefits are really good
Correction Officer Investigator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2017
Overall this job requires a lot of time and mandates overtime, which can really interfere with you personal life, however, if you like the opportunity to earn a lot of money doing overtime this is the place for you.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
very dangerous and stressful
stressful
correction officer (Current Employee) –  Rikers Island, NYJuly 20, 2017
just inhumane great money and benefits but not great treatment if you have at home this will be a very hard on them money is great but just always remember money is not everything.
Job overview
Detention Correction Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2017
Overall stressful work environment, easy to manage job but too much of others trying to cover up there own mishaps than to care for the safety and equal fair treatment of the rest of the Officers on staff.
energtic
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2017
Job pays well. You have to be on point at all times. Stressful, alarms
are going off every minute, constantly suiting up for fighting, slashing and extracting inmates. Security searches four to five times a day. Unannounced security searches, finding contraband on their personal. You have inmates that's on watch sheets, where you have to record what their doing every 10 to 15 minutes. If there are 60 to a dorm, 10 may be watch sheets plus the other fifty you have to watch.
Hours of work are 7-3, 3-11, 11-7. 4 days on 2 days off. After working 8 hours, there is no guarantee that you will be going home, most of the time you are stuck for another 8 hours. There is always over-time, you can give it away if someone wants it, you can get lucky. other than that, the job pays well but stressful.
Pros
Good benefits/Healthcare
Cons
Constant gearing up for alarms
My opinion
Human Resources Timekeeping Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 21, 2017
A typical day in my office is fast pace.
How to navigate through many personalities and ranks.
Patience.
The politics of working in a law enforcement agency.
At the end of the day I did the best job humanly possible.
Challenging workplace
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  125 white stFebruary 25, 2017
Very intense enironment must be very alert and confident cause you supervise over 100 inmate to yourself make sure you are providing care custody and control
Pros
Great benefits and security
Cons
Very dangerous stressful
All of the above
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2017
This career was a good learning experience that will help me
obtain a even better career in the near future .My former co workers are my second family and i appreciate everything i learned during my time as a correction officer.
Pros
Free meals, excellent pay, great benefits, Helpful staff
Cons
having a chance of getting attacked by an inmate
Proactive and serious workplace
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Rikers Island, NYDecember 29, 2016
Searched the building and grounds, living quarters and work areas for contraband. Prepared, processed and maintained forms, reports, logs, records and activity journals of each area and inmate. Tracked inmates through head counts, visitor logs and scheduled activities. Monitored inmate behavior to prevent crime, insure safety, and escape attempts throughout the facility. Implemented defense tactics, and physical restraints to maintain security, safety of personnel and general public.
Productive place to work!
Correction Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2016
I enjoyed working at NYC Dept.Of Corrections! I learned much from uniform and civilian staff.The most enjoyable part of the job was connecting inmates to services needed.The hardest part was doing the job in between count times when inmates had to be back in their housing areas.
Pros
Good benefits and salary
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2016
The NYC DOC is a great place to work. Despite negative things that make it to the news the job security and benefits outweigh the negative things you will deal with on a daily basis.
versatility,
Correction Captain (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 10, 2016
Typical day - flexible, spontaneous, high energy,
learned to work with all personalities and how to deal with stress
management -eager to accomplish new goals
hardest part of the job was changing what could have been a difficult situation into a pleasant occurrence
helping others
Its really What you make of it.
Duly Sworn as a New York City Correction Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 26, 2016
Negative poor work environment but it is what you make of it. You learn alot about the NYC jail system and Culture of jail which is tuff to digest if you never been apart of it. Stressful job. Dangerous job. Good Pay Great Benefits. Out way your options money isnt everything.
Pros
Excellent benefits, good pay
Cons
No life outside of correction, poor management, poor staffing numbers
Not a great place
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Tracking) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2016
I've Worked here for over 10 years with no advancement. I need a change because there is no challenge here. Ive trained managers that have been here less time than me and they will not give me anymore money.
Experience in dealing with people.
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2015
In all it was not an easy job as you can imagine. But it was a great experience. I was lucky enough to have great partners and co-workers. I most certainly became a better person because of this job.
Pros
Paid well, long vacations.
Cons
Too much overtime.
foundation for security
Captain (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 19, 2015
The 25 years I work for the New York City Department was a great experience. The agency gave me a foundation for the world of security. I was taught management skills and how to conduct investigations,
Productive, good to learn legal terms
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2015
Roll Call, Counting the clients being with held. you learn how to defuse a bad situation without harm to anyone. There is good job security with this job. the most enjoyable part is getting off duty.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
could be dangerous
Be true to yourself
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 25, 2015
As a retired NYC Correction Officer, I realized when you come on to this job, this career, you will leave with a new prespective on life around you. It takes a person with heart and determination to make it working behind bars. We work a 4x2 split (four days on two days off) for 8.5 hr days sometimes 16 hr days. You really never know when you will be going home. You dont know what tomorrow will bring more less what today has in store for you. Everyday was a new experience but a learning one no doubt. There are supervisors, staff and inmates that try to test you day in day out and its up to you to decipher what you are willing to digest. The job is 95% mental, 5% physical and this mental stress is what kills most. The life expectancy of an officer upon retiring is 5 yrs. (I plan on beating those odds.) But I say this to you, if you are self reliant, emotionally stable, have a strong family structure, keep the faith, support system, and a true sense of who you are then you can do this job. If you are looking just for work and need money this job is not for you by any means. Be true to yourself before applying.
Pros
ability to advance, benefits, stable career
Cons
mental stress, rhetoric red tape
One day at a time
Correction Officer (Current Employee) –  East Elmhurst, NYJune 23, 2015
The hardest part of the job is dealing with coworkers. I try to keep the peace and avoid drama. I stay to myself, no cliques for me and i treat people accordingly.
Pros
pays well
Cons
coworkers
I love my fellow co-workers in the New York City Department of Correction
Computer Aide / Computer Associate Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 2, 2015
A typical day at work was a busy day. I have learned that management is not always fair in job relatedness. The hardest part of my job was doing work outside of my title that does not lead to my career ladder in the computer industry. The most enjoyable part of my job was starting a computer trouble shooting task, and completing the task successfully. The next most enjoyable part of my job as a Union Shop Steward was to see my fellow union members happy, when with the assistant of my Union resolved work related issues in the District Council 37, Local 2627 computer related titles.
Pros
I choose the career path of Information Technology
Cons
I have tried many path to continue in my career path, Information Technology software programming, without major success, in the City of New York Department of Correction, during my years of service
NYC Security
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 25, 2015
The individuals that you worked with were true professionals and were there for you when you professionally and personally.

Forced to learn many aspects of the security profession. Including identification protocols, patrolling, access control, and installing an overall process.

The downside to this job were the long hours one would be forced to work from time to time.