New York City Department of Education Employee Reviews in United States

Due to the high demand in professionalism I grew in leaps and bounds as an Educator, Leadership and personal achievements
Educational Associate (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 25, 2016
Every workplace has their fare share of pro's and con's. Working for the Board of Ed. is very challenging to say the least, but after all is said and done, the people who entered into the Educational System came out either missing out on the most important thing they entered in for. Others went in for the benefits and pay and came out empty handed, no sense of purpose. Last but not least, people who went in with the purpose of making a difference and came out making a difference got a sense of fulfillment and with the desire to do more on their own. I fall in the last category. If I had to do it all over again, I would but a bit different to really make an impact on the future of the Board of Education.
Pros
ongoing staff developments and meetings to improve areas where improvement needs to be made
Cons
Once a person challenges the system, the person is doomed for the rest of their career.
The hardest work you'll ever do.
Fifth-Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 13, 2016
Arrive at 7:00 am to write out schedule and teaching points, organize classroom for student arrival. Pick up students and escort to classroom. Morning routine. Pre-assess students, teach lesson, post-assess students, record what you did to assist students who "didn't get it", keep track of everything. Do whatever you can on a prep. Either stay late to get work done, or go right home and be prepared to be working until late in the evening. I was fortunate to have excellent management - principals and assistant principals - supportive, instructive, and caring. My co-workers were extremely helpful and provided guidance and positive reinforcement. The hardest part of the job is all the planning - I felt as if I were never done and never did enough. The most enjoyable part of the job is the kids!
Pros
Working with kids, time off.
Cons
More work than you could ever hope to complete.
The New York City Department of Education provides school environment that is conducive to learning, for learners of all ages.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 10, 2016
The typical work day for was busy. As a speech teacher, I had sessions with students every 30 minutes from 9 to 3:10PM, with a 45 minutes lunch and a 45 minutes prep. The first period from 8:10 to 9:00PM was always used for preparation.
I learned that management is the key to a successful pull-out program.
My co-workers were very friendly and supportive.The hardest part of the job was keeping to the schedule. The simplest thing would often throw the schedule off.
The most enjoyable part was working with the students and seeing good progress. It was fulfilling to observe and see an unintelligible student become so amazingly intelligible.
Pros
None1
Cons
None!
An enriching and constantly changing work environment.
Teacher of American History & Economics (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 8, 2015
I worked as a professor with the NY Board of Education for nearly half my life and it was by far one of the best work experiences I have ever had. I was required to run a homeroom and work with multiple classes throughout the day from Social Studies to Economics.

Through working as a teacher I learned time management, organization skills, how to work through troubling situations and how to work with large groups. I worked closely with many of my coworkers, managing students, setting goals, and creating a healthy working environment for all involved.

The most enjoyable part of the job was reaching students and helping them in the advancement of their education.
Cons
Understaffed
working with students, that love and appreciate the work a teacher does.
Teachers Aid (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 31, 2015
A typical day at work is pretty routine, the implement of new curriculum can be a good thing. Students are usually ready to learn, the more interesting the subject/topic the more students will be open to learning. Classroom management is very much like a musical orchestra. Everything and everyone must be in sync in order to accomplish desired results. Co-workers are generally part-time family. Some are easy to cope with and some aren't . The hardest part of this job is getting a title license.Moving up to a better paying position. The most enjoyable part of this job is having the summers and holidays off.
Pros
major holidays, weekends, and summers off. Health insurance, 104K
Cons
salary not compatible with the expense of living....Especially in NYC
Easy Job
Confidential Investigator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2016
This job is an easy job that pays a good salary and gives great perks but is poorly managed. In addition, it is an environment that encourages distension amongst employees. It encourages selfishness and gossip.
Pros
Good benefits, easy job, self-manage, good perks
Cons
poor communication, not unified, job security
Very Rewarding Work
Assistant Principal (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 15, 2016
Great company to work for. I did contract work, and was always supported. Management acknowledged my expertise and was always supportive.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
long hours, travel
For the selfless, strong and secure
secondary teacher of English (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 3, 2016
Teaching is what one makes of it. I worked hard for my students and taught remedial to regents, advanced placement, electives, sports journalism, copy editing, feature article, speech. Was a lead teacher, mentor, dean and assistant to the assistant principal of academic subjects. I was a repeated recipient of National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Institutes and seminars ('99-'03). Traveled abroad to China (summer'98) with a 22 contingency of NYC teachers to explore chinese culture, history… Taught in Upward Bound Programs at Brooklyn College and Bronx Community College. There is no typical day in teaching and that is its uniqueness. Each day unfolds new experiences, challenges and situations that call for "on your feet, impromptu and practical and wise decision making that compliment students, administrators, parents, colleagues (parent coordinators,social workers, administrative assistants, guidance counselors, paraprofessionals, liaisons, school security, cafeteria and maintenance.
It is imperative to be organized, prepared and to improvise where necessary and to have fun doing it.
Pros
creativity, people oriented and adventure
Cons
time element
Learning experience
School Food Service Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 21, 2015
Overall, great learning experience. I have attained a great deal of knowledge on: effective management strategies, Food ordering and inventory maintenance, profit and loss statements, cost per meal management, and creating staff work schedules and timelines.
Pros
free lunch, benefits
Cons
lack of compensation
Great experiences working with staff and administration; very collaborative
2nd grade teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2016
It has definitely helped me develop into a stronger teacher which led to effective ratings during my career at NYDOE. I learned a lot about planning, organization, communication with parents and the school community to create successful teamwork. I work in a community of poverty where 90% of my students were living in shelters and had case workers involved in their lives.
The hardest part of the job was parent involvement, although I offer incentives, initiatives, and rewards, parents are not involved in their children's work. Often times would change phone numbers because of living circumstances.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with students and seeing their ideas and thoughts connect which intrigues them to want to learn more. Also sharing ideas with other teachers who are ready to share since we are a team who aim to work together.
Pros
long lasting relationships with students who we never forget, and will never forget us as their teachers.
Cons
Work consumed every part of my life, weekends are filled with hours of lesson planning, grading, and data entry, work comes home everyday, and it changes every couple of weeks with new requests from administration.
Caring work environment
Paraprofessional/Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2016
A typical day at work should be a place that everyone look forward to going each day. A caring environment, a place where people are approachable and receptive. I learned as a teacher's assistant to be patient and listen, because one thing that I know that children love, is when we listen to what they have to say, and without judgement, but listen with care. Management is the heart of how schools operates. Great management, teachers, parents, and all staff support, will lead to a great school. The hardest part of the job was to say goodbye to the children that will not be in my class anymore, but it was a joy to see them progress and succeed. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you actually realized that you have made a difference in a child's life. To see them blossom and learn with enjoyment really makes me realize that what we do is extremely important.
Pros
Good benefits, good healthcare, nice environment
Excellent job with weekends, holidays and summers off.
Family Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodside, NYMay 13, 2016
My regular work day depended on working as a team, not only with my immediate coworkers, but with the entire personal. I had to schedule meetings therefore, I had to be in contact with everybody involved with the education of the student with special needs.
I learned how to maintained compliance reports and other paper work needed in a timely matter.
The hardest part of the job was that on top of all the regular work flow we had, if a new referral was given to us we had to handle it with the same urge as the other cases we where working already.
The most enjoyable part of the job was to complete all tasks and cases before the due date, and the satisfaction of helping a family with a child with special needs to learn in the best environment.
Pros
Healthcare, retirement plan and 401K.
Cons
Part- Time Job.
Productive and Educational Work place
Paraprofessional /Educational Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 6, 2016
I have been a leader in many areas in my work place with the Department of Education. I have been able to work and succeed in achieving many goals with different groups of students in different classroom settings. I have been able to work one on one and in small instructional group settings. I also work in collaborative classrooms. I have taught and worked with different age groups such as from elementary, middle and high school age students, both general education and special education students. I continue to pursuit my degree and career for my future and wish to continually work in the area of education. I look forward to achieving goals along with students. The outcomes are rewarding!
Pros
Future realistic goals /Growth
Great Expirence
Para Professional (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 29, 2016
work days were short and always full of excitement. I learned how to work well with difficult people and situations. i most enjoyed working with the children and being a positive force in there lives. workiung for the DOE I met a lot of intelligent respectable individuals.
Pros
great work hours, paid holidays and vacation
Cons
compensation
Didnt have a good experience as far as Management is concerned.
PARENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 8, 2015
I loved working with the children and staff. However there is too much politics in the work world, which allows the distraction from taking care of the children like you shoud. sad that the management doesnt realize that keeping a worker who is in an already stressfull atmosphere with the work they do, stressed due to politics is not good for the community they serve.(or are trying to serve).
Great Job-Before school wanted to become an Empowerment Zone School
BUSINESS MANAGER OF SCHOOL FINANCE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 17, 2016
Directed the budgeting and accounting of a $6.6m middle school. Provided leadership for a 14 person workforce. Facilitated school’s procurement, vendor/contract negotiations and human resources operational processes.
• Re-established financial control, lead school from severe financial loss of $2mm maximizing its current source of tax levy instructional, state and federal reimbursable program funding.
• Facilitated school operations, vendor negotiations, procurement, general logistics, HR systems record keeping, non-academic student services and continual process improvement.
Pros
instead of manging multiple schools-you manage just one
Cons
School not agreeing with Superintendent of Region-went Emp. Zone
Great opportunity
PRINCIPAL SECRETARY (Current Employee) –  New York NYNovember 27, 2015
If you live in NY you should be working in the Dept of Edu. you have assistance with college classes, benefits, vacation days and job security.
Pros
Vacation and hours awesome medical plan
Cons
advancement depends on educational level
Love teaching in the NYC Educational System
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 22, 2016
Here is where I obtained my foundation and overall exposure to the world of academics. It was an experience that has been with me throughout my career and that has shaped me to be the great educator that I feel I am today. This system confronted me with real life everyday actual situations that students and families deal with. The "black bags" we heard so much about. While also giving me colleges with vast experience to develop and nurture my growth. I was encouraged above measure and still remain close to those I developed relationships with; including my students.
Class room teacher
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2016
Worked in a clasroom of 28 children
Built a firm behavioral structure for classroom management.

Inspire hands on lessons that captivated each childs imagination and focused on goals designed to meet all students needs.

The most rewarding part was being able to instruct a diverse group of students from various backgrounds and all facets of society.

I learned as an educator that all children are capable of learning no matter what are their barriers or learning pace, there are no limitations to learning.
Productive and Fun workplace
Substitute Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2016
One needs to be visible and flexible to work in NYCDOE as a sub teacher. Establishing your principles as an educator may be tough in some NYCDOE classrooms as many sub-teachers are not given the due respect by the students. They expect not to perform their learning activities in the present of a sub teacher. One needs to take time for his/ her mental hygiene and create structures to help the learning activities in the classroom effectively.
Pros
Being able to help children and support them emotionally in their quest for knowledge
Cons
Depending on the district too much emphasing on assessment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York City Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.

New York City Department of Education Reviews by Location