New York City Department of Education Employee Reviews in United States

great place to work if you have a family benifits are great
Food Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 18, 2016
it can get very hectic when managing 4 to 5 kitchen from food ordering to staff management to menu planning and payroll. a lot of my time is spent in front of a computer and on the phone making sure everyone have what they need. I learned how to think on my feet, multitask and how not to panic because a day can go from 0-60 at anytime. time management it very important as long as the work is being done and goals and being met everyone is happy. the group of people I work with are the best we help each other out we here for one goal and that is feed the students of NYC and we do it well. the hardest part of this job having to deal with different personalities and wants of a building. most enjoyable is when everybody get along and job gets done
Pros
free meals, healthcare, carfare reimbursement, free on weekends, off on holidays
Cons
shart breaks
Productive Work Place
School Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 16, 2016
Working for the NYC DOE has been a great learning experience. Students and Teachers learn a great deal from one another. Counseling students and families have created a world of opportunity for students to continue to grow and mature for their future endeavors.
Pros
Learning Experiences
Cons
N/A
Productive Work Ethic
Food Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 12, 2016
• Performed routine food service activities related to the setting up of serving areas and the serving of food to students and staff members
• Maintain work areas and serving areas in a clean, sanitary and safe conditions; washed kitchen equipment
• Prepared food service facilities for the serving of food, count and set out an appropriate number of serving trays along with additional steam ware for the serving of hot meals
• Required to communicate effectively; while using interpersonal skills
• Required to perform accuracy counts on inventory details when counting orders and taking stock
A welcoming environment, but with an irregular schedule
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 8, 2016
I enjoy working in the welcoming environment of NYC public schools. The class settings provide an opportunity for a multitude of activities and learning experiences. However, for substitute teachers, the schedules are produced via SubCentral computerized program, and usually are finalized either a day in advance, or on the day of, the actual assignments. This leaves very little time for preparation and makes the commute planning more difficult.
Pros
good classrooms, a standardized curriculum, similar room arrangements
Cons
irregular schedule, no prior information about the upcoming assignments
Extremely influencial in bringing the best practices in twenty first century education to sustain the breadbasket of the world .i
Special Education/Social Studies Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 4, 2016
A typical day of work would ecapsulate the rendering of direct and indirect instruction to students, in grades 5 through 8, teaching ELA, Social Studies, math and science in a self-Contained classroom , Co-Teaching with a general education teacher and a SETSS teacher in various classrooms. On the other hand, I am committed to deloping students, IEP's , also consistently reading student's iEP to find aquire knowledge of student Present Level of Performance, and management needs , which inform the instruction for each student including their goals.then implement IEP goals and strategies into an integrated classrooms.
I have learned that teaching is not for the faint of heart, I have found that working with special needs students is not just helpful for them ,but adds a benefit to my learning as well. I learn that assessments drivesboth instruction and students engagement,maintaining accurate records of all assessments data is an imperative, active communication with parents and school's administrators is first and foremost.
Its incombent upon me to maintain awareness of school's strategic strategic initiatives and incorporate them in my work ,by way of using the SESIS data base to manage the data derived from students test and assessments ,
What is more, my unrelenting effort to accumilate students data on time, with one hundred percent accuracy, calls for my inate ability to communicate effectively with staff members such as my assistant teachers, psychologist ,guidance consulors, regular education teachers ,etc. Team work between Co-workers is my muntra
  more... throuhout the day.
The hardest part of the job is when parents fail to return my phone calls or chang their phone numbers, including trying to coordinate my schedule with some of ocollegues , and lack of administrative support..
The most enjoyable part of my job as a special education teacher is when some of my student finally learn something that they thought was not possible , to see the effort they have exerted , and finally become self directed in their quest to master a certain task or their prescribed goal, .It sure becomes my Aha moment.I love the meaningful relationships I build with the different families .
Pros
Arriving every day to a job I love., and the lasting relationships i have developed.
Cons
lots of paper work, Consistent professional development, consistent data collection, management of evidence of student growth, variability of student's needs.
The City that Never Stops Teaching
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 3, 2016
I worked as a substitute teacher in Brooklyn, NY, where I learned to communicate with and develop new skills of my own in working with students of all ages and learning levels. My co-workers were always helpful, always willing to lend a hand when necessary. The most difficult part of the job is trying to give a lesson when students don't respect you as a sub. The best part of the job is when students express their appreciation for you, even as a sub.
One to One Making A Difference
Paraprofessional Special Education (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 2, 2016
It feels wonderful to come into work every morning and have your student smile the moment they see you. Ive seen my student grow from minimal conversation to reading and writing and nonstop talking
Fun place to work
Early ChildhoodTeacher (Former Employee) –  New YorkJuly 31, 2016
Most enjoyable place to work is to share, help students learn to accomplish their full individual potential academically.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Productive and fun place to learn and grow
Payroll Secretary (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 29, 2016
NYC Department of Education is privileged with phenomenal educators would are driven to push students toward success, both academically and socially. It's a collaborative effort that takes grit, resilience and a made up mind to teach and learn simultaneously.
Great experience
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 23, 2016
In my fifteen years i have become a valuable in exchanging ideas, recognizing others efforts and teaching methodology.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Salary could be higher
unfair workplace
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 20, 2016
Hours are great but plenty of politics within schools. Not easy to advance. Also students and staff are very unreasonable.
Caring work environment
Paraprofessional/Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2016
A typical day at work should be a place that everyone look forward to going each day. A caring environment, a place where people are approachable and receptive. I learned as a teacher's assistant to be patient and listen, because one thing that I know that children love, is when we listen to what they have to say, and without judgement, but listen with care. Management is the heart of how schools operates. Great management, teachers, parents, and all staff support, will lead to a great school. The hardest part of the job was to say goodbye to the children that will not be in my class anymore, but it was a joy to see them progress and succeed. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you actually realized that you have made a difference in a child's life. To see them blossom and learn with enjoyment really makes me realize that what we do is extremely important.
Pros
Good benefits, good healthcare, nice environment
the perfect place to help a troubled child in need.
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 15, 2016
My typical day at work consist of aiding special needs children with school work and the teachers with classroom duties.
New York City Department of Education
AP Expansion Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2016
A typical day in the office included managing the schools that are apart of the AP Expansion program and coordinating events and programs for the schools. I learned several skill sets, and how to work with big stakeholders. I enjoyed working with my co-workers and learning from them.
School has unfortunately closed
School Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2016
Dedicated staff. School has since been closed due to lose of funding. Students were given a second a chance to complete their High School diploma. Very sad the facility is gone.
Class room teacher
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2016
Worked in a clasroom of 28 children
Built a firm behavioral structure for classroom management.

Inspire hands on lessons that captivated each childs imagination and focused on goals designed to meet all students needs.

The most rewarding part was being able to instruct a diverse group of students from various backgrounds and all facets of society.

I learned as an educator that all children are capable of learning no matter what are their barriers or learning pace, there are no limitations to learning.
new york city department of education
Paraprofessional Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 10, 2016
working for board of education helping students ,accompany special needs students have compassion care for students infants.
Pros
no kids left behinds
Cons
free education up 21
My calling.
Substitute Teacher (Special Education) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 9, 2016
My teaching experience has been a journey in developing my craft. I jump out of bed on days that I am teaching. I look forward to the day I have the keys to my own classroom where I can truly make an impact in my students lives.
Pros
pedagogy
Cons
Very interactive and gratifying experience
Fort Hamilton High School, Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 8, 2016
To teach at a public high school was a great experience for me because I learned so much from my students and colleagues. I also was able to share my knowledge on Biology with my students which was a very gratifying experience.
Challenging yet enriching job.
Paraprofessional/Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 4, 2016
Typical day is working with children with special needs, behavioral, mental and physical. Assisting the teachers with day to day activities.
Pros
Paid vacation, tution reimbursement
Cons
no overtime.

New York City Department of Education Reviews by Location