New York City Department of Education Employee Reviews

Pleasant place to work
School Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 15, 2017
Since 2008 I have enjoyed working here. It is a place where you have opportunities for success. The tone of the building is always pleasant. Staff are welcoming to students and parents. There are small sized classes and at least two classes per grade. Parents have the opportunity to meet with staff and teachers every Tuesday until 4 pm. This is a great opportunity for families to discuss their child's academic success and also are given time to see their child's work.
Pros
great work hours
rewarding work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 11, 2017
rewarding work oustanding support, and reasonable hours working during the week. This work can be challenging from time to time but feedback is given to improve
Overall productive and positive.
Special Education Teacher, District 28, Queens (Former Employee) –  Various Schools in District 28August 11, 2017
I worked for the NYC DOE over 30 years in various roles within special education. Mandated trainings were excellent. Working at CSE afforded me the opportunity to perform various interesting duties in a very stimulating environment. I was a liaison between CSE, and CPSE. It was necessary to communicate well between both departments with staff and administrators in both. I was given various tasks to accomplish which afforded me a chance to manage the Turning 5 Office. Supervision was provided as needed . The workplace culture at my CSE was one of cooperation. We worked together as a team. The hardest part of the job was meeting critical deadlines as our caseload grew.
Pros
Positive Work Environment
Cons
Cool Environment to work in.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 11, 2017
Cleaning all hallways, stairways & classrooms, learned how to strip floors, light involvement with management, co-workers made the job smooth sailing.
DOE Overall
Sub Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYAugust 9, 2017
Working for the DOE has taught me a lot of children and how not each child is the same.

Your typical work day depends on the child and how the child is feeling that day.

There were definitely days where I was stressed and there were days I felt like I accomplished a lot.
Pros
Having the same breaks as the children
Cons
N/a
Rewarding to see children learn
Educational Associate & Sub-Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 9, 2017
My typical work day is 8:15am - 4pm on Monday and Tuesday while Wednesdays thru Friday I start the same but end by 3pm. I learned to work as a team player and adjust to the work place culture and practices. The hardest part of the job is finding the time to ensure all learning styles are being meet and all the students in the classroom are engaged. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing they understood it.
Pros
Off the weekends
Cons
Finding extra work as an assistant
MY students
Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2017
At the school I have been teaching in, I have learned about my students lives and have been able to bond with them. It is essential to have excellent management skills. The most difficult part of this job is to be able to make certain all of the students are engaged in working. The most enjoyable part of the job is that the staff really cares. It is not an easy job, but then again, we save lives and to me that makes this job rewarding.
Administration
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2017
Bureaucratic system makes it hard to get ahead. Paraprof are treated the same as students with a lot of restrictions. Some schools better than others.
Fun workplace/Rewarding workplace
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2017
Working for the Department of Education is working within a fun and rewarding workplace. There is a lot to be done in education and I'm happy I'm part of it.
Pros
Being helpful to those that can't help themselves.
Cons
Stressful at times.
educational setting withdno guidance
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2017
Start the work day with assisting the student s coming of their school buses. Helping them eat breakfast. escorting the students to class and helping toilet them. Helping the students complete educational task. Keeping track of student attendance and monitoring their educational needs.
You learn how different disabilities need different skills to manage them.
Friendly and family community depending on the school.
Dealing with administration because they judge without know. They view a room for 20 minutes and make decisions.
the best part of the job is being around the students and giving them that extra care they need.
Pros
Students
Cons
no breaks and Administration
Reality
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  65 court street, brooklyn NYAugust 7, 2017
I believe that the benefits are good. However, the administrators usually abuse their workers and most of kids in some of the schools do not behave well. However, if you build a good and close relationship with the students, it will be an enjoyable experience
Motivated , and team player
Community Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2017
On a normal I would great everyone in the office, I am a morning person . I make sure I bring the energy in the morning for the others that lack it. ..
Authentic and Dynamic
Family Leadership Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2017
Truly one of the best places I have ever had the privilege to work in. It provides opportunity for growth on all levels of your professional and personal life.
Pros
Dynamic and creative cultures and people
Substitute Teaching is a Great Opporunity
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 6, 2017
The school I work in has a great staff and the scheduling is very flexible as a substitute teacher. To get into the program you have to be nominated by a principal. After being nominated you go through a number of assessments online and modules. There is a background check but surprisingly no drug testing. I really learn a lot about dealing with children as the school that I'm in is from Kindergarten to 8th grade.
Patience
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 6, 2017
Working with kids is rewarding and challenging. I was a sub teacher at a middle school. Grades 6-8. Some students really want to learn, but it's hard when you have other students constantly disrupting the class. Once you resolve and issue with one student. Another will begin to act out. I think the phones are truly a distraction in the classroom.
Pros
Good pay for subbing
Cons
Students disrespect for teachers and each other.
Community Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 6, 2017
Good Place to work! The administration, and staff are great. I enjoyed working interdependently with each member of the team in a student centered environment.
Wonderful Place to be a Teacher
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 5, 2017
I absolutely love my job. I wake up and think “I’m ready to go to school.” I love that you have a direct impact on the lives of young people and can make a difference. You become part of the community by getting to know the parents and your colleagues, and it’s great to know you’re working towards the same goals.
NYC Department of Education
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 4, 2017
A typical day teaching.....is never typical! Every day the students, staff, and fast pace keep you on your toes! The hardest part of the job is getting through to students and trying to make a difference, sometimes with no visible proof of success. Yet, the most enjoyable part of the job is when you do get through to a student and you can witness that Aha! moment.
Pros
the hours and comp time
Cons
the excess paperwork and feeling that you are never finished
Fun and Friendly workplace
Data Analytics Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 3, 2017
I liked very much working here. I was working as an intern, therefore worked there for short period of time. Team is very friendly and Manager is helping.
Great job security, more holidays than most other jobs. Fast paced sometimes stressful with long hours.
Compliance and Payables (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 2, 2017
A compliance job with extremely heavy work load. No down time and no slow days.

Rewarding because we help parents meet the needs of their special need children.

Director is supportive and reasonable.
Pros
Great pension plan and holidays.
Cons
Poor work environment, outdated programs and equipments that needs upgrading.