New York City Department of Education

New York City Department of Education United States Employee Reviews

Regarding the Department of Education
Temporary Clerical Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 19, 2014
Pros: hard work is recognized at this job and you will be called back due to working hard.
Cons: due to it being a temporary assignment, there are no benefits and not too much room for growth.
A typical day at work includes sorting, entering and validating lunch applications so that New York City students between the grades of pre-k and 12th can be 'coded' to determine whether they are to pay or receive lunch for free. At this job, I have learned how to enter and validate student applications using Franklin Free and Reduced Meal Benefit Management software. I learned that being a hard worker and quick learner allows room for advancement. I respect many of my co-worker because they feel the same way I do regarding our responsibility toward NY city students which is getting the applications done, getting the students 'coded' in order to be sure they've eaten (for some it’s their only meal, I take that very seriously). My job is not hard at all, it is very detail-oriented but, it is not difficult in the least. The satisfaction of knowing that the student's applications have been taken care of and the determination of eligibility for lunch, albeit free or paid has been made, is the most enjoyable part of my job.
The job isn't always about the job
Manager and Compliance Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 12, 2014
Teaching loses its beauty when it is clouded with administrative snags.
no dress code required, a socialable environment
School Aide (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 3, 2014
My typical day at work is very busy during the day dealing with different situations with student and staff. I have learned that coming to work on time and getting your job tasks done make the job easier to deal with. I work and get along well with all of the staff members in the building which holds 4 other different schools. The hardest part of my job is to deal with students with the age that they are having a difficult time finishing school and passing their GED test before they age out of the Program which allow ages 17 1/2 to 21yrs old before transferring to adult ED to continue there Education. However the most enjoyable Part of my the Job is to see the students who have been striving hard to Graduate an get their GED or Diploma to move on to College.
important work with good salary, even better benefits and job security
Client Contract Manager (Current Employee), Brooklyn NYOctober 30, 2014
Pros: benefits, important work
Cons: civil service environment
large employer with reasonable salaries and advancement opportunities and great benefits. Many educated and intelligent employees but often difficult environment due to civil service environment and bureaucracy. Working with and on behalf of students can be very rewarding and often is but many obstacles in a public agency.
Settlement Attorney
Attorney (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 14, 2014
I would like to be more intellectually challenged at work. My legal expertise is not being utilized. I perform clerical work for a good portion of the day.
Hierarchical workplace for administrative faculty
LIC, NY, Graphic Design Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 9, 2014
Pros: gained great knowledge of office applications
Cons: six years ft hours and still considered a temp worker?
My 6 year experience at the New York City Department of Education in Long Island City had it's share of ups and downs. Ultimately, I learned a great deal of management skills and applications, Excel, Office, et al., for which I am thankful. I enjoyed my scheduling and communication tasks which allowed me to present my graphic and visual skills to large faculty audiences.
Bureaucracy on Steroids
Information Architect (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 9, 2014
Pros: no mandatory overtime
Cons: ever-present timeclock, user-hostile project tracking software, fear-driven management
Worked with design and web development teams (nice people for the most part) on schools website, intranet and enterprise applications.
For a .NET developer who wants to just show up, do the work and collect a paycheck DIIT offers a congenial and not-too-demanding work environment. The downside is that it's not a corporate culture that rewards innovation. As a result, on the site and in enterprise development, frustrating and and unusable UIs stay that way while more politically 'sensitive' projects get fast-tracked, regardless of their irrelevance to the needs of parents and students.
It's a place with far more room for improvement than willingness to improve.
great job
fdny (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 2, 2014
Pros: 10
Cons: ..
fight fighter saving ppl great job love everything about it
great place to work
Assist the Borough Safety Director (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: meet greet new people
Cons: no overtime
Learned skills while working there that would prepare me for a job almost anywhere
nice place to work for
Second & Fourth Grade Classroom Teacher (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 28, 2014
Nice, supportive colleagues. I know the principal has changed since i've been there so I can't speak to that.
This company offers opportunity to advance in a professional label
Educator Assistant (Current Employee), Bronx, NYSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: pays for bachelor degree
A typical day at work consists in escorting students from bussing to school. assist teacher in implementation of students EIP.
I have learned many skills that are helpful to students with Autism such as ABA, SMILE. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing my students move up from a restrictive classroom environment to a least restrictive classroom, but the hardest part is having to say goodbye to them after being together for 1-2 years.
Great Place to work
Math Coach; Technology Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: compensation, benefits, great teachers
Cons: some old schools that need upgrade, air quality is poor.
Great place to work, teachers are respected, good compensation and benefits. Many advancement opportunities. Great professional development and fair work versus home balance. A great place to work.
NYC DOE Certified Teacher
English Teacher (Certified/Permanent) (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: reach one in order to teach one.
Cons: mayoral control
After teaching for over 10 yrs, I have managed to support and maintain the perseverance for educating NYC students with dedication and enlightenment.
Watching student growth and building their confidence.
Teacher (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: learning new skills and techniques every day.
Cons: needing more assistance in the classroom at time.
Working at the New York City Department of Education was challenging. Learning how to reach students who were on different learning levels and developing a teaching style that would accommodate all students was challenging and exciting.

My work as a substitute teacher taught me how to have and developed better classroom management skills.

The bond you develop with other teachers is valuable and you remain friends even when you leave the school. They are life long friendships.
Not for the thin-skinned!
Literacy Coach (Former Employee), BronxSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: retirement system
Cons: degree of paperwork
The quality of a job at NYCDOE is highly variable depending on the school and principal. There are basic benefits that teachers will have to work hard to hold onto throughout the coming years, especially retirement. The UFT is an excellent union, but the climate for working in education is demanding, especially in high needs schools. Burnout is very high. Collaboration with peers and supervisors is often no easy task. The best part of the job is a cliche, but true, making a difference in the lives of young people. Teaching is delicate; it's not a blunt instrument. Rent a storage space to hold all the materials you will need! Best advice, keep your opinions about the people your work with to yourself. Never gossip.
Urban Educator
TESOL & Literature Educator (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 9, 2014
-The toughest job with great satisfaction.
-Tenured in three years.
-Opportunities to collaborate with colleagues from other departments.
-Long hours with little compensation.
-Must be committed to education and demonstrate love of learning with students of diverse economic and cultural backgrounds.
-Demonstrated leadership in challenging environment.
-Very fast paced.
-Must be on feet most of the time.
Classroom Community
Mathematics Teacher (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: terrific, dynamic students, community of classroom
Cons: lack of administration support and guidence
I'd rather not review the Department of Education or my school. My classroom was an amazing safe place were students were engaged and learning and we all had respect for each other and helped eachother out. I love teaching but the admins and the DOE were not at all supportive or involved.
Great benefits but.....
Community Assistant (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: don't have same vacation as the students, no salary differential if you have higher education.
It is great for benefits but there is no upward mobility, don't get Easter, winter, Christmas/new year it depends, or summers off. It isn't really worth the benefits. Beware of the title because you get no days off when the kids are on break(all other school staff except community coordinator, community assistant, community associate(parent coordinator)have those days off .
NA
Special Education Teacher / IEP Coordinator (Current Employee), Queens, NYAugust 26, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am encouraged by my current administration to assume leadership responsibilities within my school building. The supportive work climate encourages me to work toward my ultimate goal of obtaining an administrative position in the near future.
An educational setting providing help to students of special needs
ESL Crisis Para-Professional (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 22, 2014
Pros: rewarding career
I provide direction for students who have an Individualized Education Plan, assist the classroom teacher with educational, non-instructional activity and nonteaching tasks. Support students acquisition of literacy and numeracy skills in both Integrated Co-Teaching classroom and Self-Contained classroom setting, prompt students towards independent study and corrective programs designed by teachers and IEP team, Assisted administration and teachers related to IEP objectives and or modifications also provided recorded observation of assigned students behavior as directed by supervising Special Education teacher.

New York City Department of Education Salaries