New York City Department of Education Employee Reviews in United States

School has unfortunately closed
School Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2016
Dedicated staff. School has since been closed due to lose of funding. Students were given a second a chance to complete their High School diploma. Very sad the facility is gone.
Class room teacher
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2016
Worked in a clasroom of 28 children
Built a firm behavioral structure for classroom management.

Inspire hands on lessons that captivated each childs imagination and focused on goals designed to meet all students needs.

The most rewarding part was being able to instruct a diverse group of students from various backgrounds and all facets of society.

I learned as an educator that all children are capable of learning no matter what are their barriers or learning pace, there are no limitations to learning.
new york city department of education
Paraprofessional Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 10, 2016
working for board of education helping students ,accompany special needs students have compassion care for students infants.
Pros
no kids left behinds
Cons
free education up 21
My calling.
Substitute Teacher (Special Education) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 9, 2016
My teaching experience has been a journey in developing my craft. I jump out of bed on days that I am teaching. I look forward to the day I have the keys to my own classroom where I can truly make an impact in my students lives.
Pros
pedagogy
Cons
Very interactive and gratifying experience
Fort Hamilton High School, Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 8, 2016
To teach at a public high school was a great experience for me because I learned so much from my students and colleagues. I also was able to share my knowledge on Biology with my students which was a very gratifying experience.
Challenging yet enriching job.
Paraprofessional/Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 4, 2016
Typical day is working with children with special needs, behavioral, mental and physical. Assisting the teachers with day to day activities.
Pros
Paid vacation, tution reimbursement
Cons
no overtime.
One of the best experiences of my life.
NY, NY. Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2016
Working here really let me sink my teeth into education, and institute my thoughts and opinion into it. It really gave me an opportunity to grow as a person, and professional.
Staff
Temporary Clerical Support/File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJune 23, 2016
The staff are very polite, they learn how to welcome you with open arms. I love my job and what i do to gain experience; everyone works as a team.
sub teacher
Sub Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2016
awesome department work for, It is a great company to work for also good i have a good work here with them.
Pros
go work on time
Cons
Do your job
Community Liaison
Community Liaison (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2016
Nice place to work, good compensation, good work life balance and job security. Can become stressful
Computer/Technology Teacher - Brooklyn (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 15, 2016
Helping and teaching was a positive experience. The other teachers were very helpful when it came to answering certain questions.
Pros
HELPING THE YOUNG PEOPLE LEARN
Cons
WISH I COULD HAVE DONE MORE
internship
Degree-based Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2016
i completed an internship with the DOE it was very informative and exciting. the teachers were very helpful. I gathered a lot from completing this internship.
The kids make it all the more worthwhile...
Paraprofessional - Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  NYJune 12, 2016
Substitute Paraprofessional - Assist teachers with class work and daily care of students with emotional, cognitive, physical handicaps, and other special needs. Guiding and assisting students in small group instruction settings with class routines and transitions. Collecting data documenting student behavior for instructional purposes.
Pros
Job stability, protection, benefits
Cons
Communication between administrators and teachers/paras
Helping people to become self-sufficient.
School Social Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 11, 2016
As the school social worker, I had the opportunity to provide direct services to children/families. I learned from this experience that children mostly want to be heard and acknowledged. The hardest part of this job was witnessing the impact of little to no support provided to a child. The most enjoyable part of this job was witnessing the children/families become self-sufficient.
comfortable work place
Cleaner/Janitor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 11, 2016
i enjoyed my time working with the nyc board of education unfortunately my time was cut short due to school budget but would love to go back and work if i could.
Stressful and not rewarding
Educational Administrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 5, 2016
There are too many issues and not enough resources - it's very difficult, as if you're treading water. The reorganization has not been successful.
Rewarding, but requires trudging through red tape
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 25, 2016
Rewarding, but requires trudging through red tape.

Minutiae sometimes obscure overall mission. Must remind yourself of it regularly.
Interesting work place
Supported Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 24, 2016
everyday is basically the same as a assistant teacher. We are giving a work assignment at the beginning of the school year, everyday we teach the same subject at the same time. As the students gather an understanding of the lesson for the day we add to it.
Pros
Great healthcare and vacation time
Cons
Low pay
Great benefits and schedule
Laboratory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 22, 2016
I learned many new things that could help me in my next job.Hardest part of job was dealing with many personalities, Most enjoyable part of job was the schedule
Pros
Great schedule
Cons
No Advancement
Very nice place to work.
Assistant Teacher, Special Education (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 22, 2016
The support of the staff, children, union and the city will make you feel welcomed. Exposure to different cultures and understanding how to interact with children from these culture is a huge asset.
Pros
Children
Cons
Travel home

New York City Department of Education Reviews by Location