New York City Department of Education

New York City Department of Education Employer Reviews

This company offers opportunity to advance in a professional label
Educator Assistant (Current Employee), Bronx, NYSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: pays for bachelor degree
A typical day at work consists in escorting students from bussing to school. assist teacher in implementation of students EIP.
I have learned many skills that are helpful to students with Autism such as ABA, SMILE. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing my students move up from a restrictive classroom environment to a least restrictive classroom, but the hardest part is having to say goodbye to them after being together for 1-2 years.
Great Place to work
Math Coach; Technology Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: compensation, benefits, great teachers
Cons: some old schools that need upgrade, air quality is poor.
Great place to work, teachers are respected, good compensation and benefits. Many advancement opportunities. Great professional development and fair work versus home balance. A great place to work.
NYC DOE Certified Teacher
English Teacher (Certified/Permanent) (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: reach one in order to teach one.
Cons: mayoral control
After teaching for over 10 yrs, I have managed to support and maintain the perseverance for educating NYC students with dedication and enlightenment.
Watching student growth and building their confidence.
Teacher (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: learning new skills and techniques every day.
Cons: needing more assistance in the classroom at time.
Working at the New York City Department of Education was challenging. Learning how to reach students who were on different learning levels and developing a teaching style that would accommodate all students was challenging and exciting.

My work as a substitute teacher taught me how to have and developed better classroom management skills.

The bond you develop with other teachers is valuable and you remain friends even when you leave the school. They are life long friendships.
Not for the thin-skinned!
Literacy Coach (Former Employee), BronxSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: retirement system
Cons: degree of paperwork
The quality of a job at NYCDOE is highly variable depending on the school and principal. There are basic benefits that teachers will have to work hard to hold onto throughout the coming years, especially retirement. The UFT is an excellent union, but the climate for working in education is demanding, especially in high needs schools. Burnout is very high. Collaboration with peers and supervisors is often no easy task. The best part of the job is a cliche, but true, making a difference in the lives of young people. Teaching is delicate; it's not a blunt instrument. Rent a storage space to hold all the materials you will need! Best advice, keep your opinions about the people your work with to yourself. Never gossip.
Urban Educator
TESOL & Literature Educator (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 9, 2014
-The toughest job with great satisfaction.
-Tenured in three years.
-Opportunities to collaborate with colleagues from other departments.
-Long hours with little compensation.
-Must be committed to education and demonstrate love of learning with students of diverse economic and cultural backgrounds.
-Demonstrated leadership in challenging environment.
-Very fast paced.
-Must be on feet most of the time.
Classroom Community
Mathematics Teacher (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: terrific, dynamic students, community of classroom
Cons: lack of administration support and guidence
I'd rather not review the Department of Education or my school. My classroom was an amazing safe place were students were engaged and learning and we all had respect for each other and helped eachother out. I love teaching but the admins and the DOE were not at all supportive or involved.
Great benefits but.....
Community Assistant (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: don't have same vacation as the students, no salary differential if you have higher education.
It is great for benefits but there is no upward mobility, don't get Easter, winter, Christmas/new year it depends, or summers off. It isn't really worth the benefits. Beware of the title because you get no days off when the kids are on break(all other school staff except community coordinator, community assistant, community associate(parent coordinator)have those days off .
NA
Special Education Teacher / IEP Coordinator (Current Employee), Queens, NYAugust 26, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am encouraged by my current administration to assume leadership responsibilities within my school building. The supportive work climate encourages me to work toward my ultimate goal of obtaining an administrative position in the near future.
An educational setting providing help to students of special needs
ESL Crisis Para-Professional (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 22, 2014
Pros: rewarding career
I provide direction for students who have an Individualized Education Plan, assist the classroom teacher with educational, non-instructional activity and nonteaching tasks. Support students acquisition of literacy and numeracy skills in both Integrated Co-Teaching classroom and Self-Contained classroom setting, prompt students towards independent study and corrective programs designed by teachers and IEP team, Assisted administration and teachers related to IEP objectives and or modifications also provided recorded observation of assigned students behavior as directed by supervising Special Education teacher.
This is the perfect opportunity to work for the Department of Education
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 19, 2014
Pros: great experience, opportunity to work, teach lessons, clock in and out daily
Cons: unpredictable timing of pay
I believe the Department of Education is a great place to work. It allows for growth and opportunity unlike any other district. As a Substitute teacher I've gained valuable experience working with various school cultures servicing diverse populations. I have taught every grade level within the public school system. That experience alone speaks volumes. Though, the Substitute Teacher is considered part-time work the pay is Per-Diem. Which means each school is responsible for paying you. This is the downfall about this job. As the rate of pay is at the hands of the payroll secretaries, there will be instances where compensation may not be rendered. So, the job requires a Sub. to be proactive and organized. Literally, keeping track of every job number and Secretary information to ensure timely compensation.
great place to work learning enviroment
Parent Coordinator (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 18, 2014
Pros: management is always will to work with employees
Cons: not a lot of room to grow at your current school
there is really no typical day at work it changes all the time and a person in my position needs to be ready for the unexpected all the time. I learned a lot at this school like computers systems and how to run workshops and plan large events for parents and students. my school has a great culture with great people I work around a great group of people and I love working there however I have to move on becasue there is no room for growtih and now that I have my masters in school counseling i am ready to work in my field. The hardest part of this job seeing children not make it into high school at the end of the year and having to call parents and say that your child has to repeat a grade because they did not meet the requirements to move on to the next grade.
The most enjoyable part of this job and seeing students get it when the light bulb goes off in their head and they choose to put their education first. it is also great when june comes to see children move on to another step in their lives. I have gotten so much from this job and in anything you do you have your highs and lows and I am happy to say that my highs beat my lows everyday and that is why i know that working with children is where I belong and I love it
Multi-taskings, organizational managment, proactive
Teacher, Mult-isubjects (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 13, 2014
Pros: educating future leaders
Cons: 60-80 work-week. 40 hrs obligated, 20-40 preparation, low wages for a mandated masters degree position
This job is one for a person who can multi-task, fast-thinker and revise at a moments notice. Also, flexible personality as you have to deal with a diverse range of students, parents, co-workers and visitors. Be a team player and know how to adapt to specific situations.
Overall good experience
Licensed N.Y. State Teacher (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 13, 2014
Most enjoyable part of the job was helping a student feel accomplished and experiencing their joy with them for being able to succeed despite the odds.
Very supportive management
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 12, 2014
Pros: schedule
Cons: travel costs
Great opportunity to work with a child with unique needs that relate to my services as an occupational therapist
Good place to learn about the different aspects of the Department of Education
OT/PT Medicaid Program Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 5, 2014
Excellent opportunity to learn about the functioning of the Department of Education.
Reasonable duties and case load
Retired TESOL (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 2, 2014
Pros: attending meetings and offering my input into students' evaluations
Cons: reaching retirement age
I enjoyed the whole process overall. I was fortunate to have worked with a staff of colleagues who all possessed a minimum of one Master's Degree.
Good Benefits
Per-Diem Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 30, 2014
Hard work and worth the effort. This job requires a lot of day to day work and paperwork for grades and such.
Very professional work place.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 29, 2014
Pros: pay rate per day was great.
Cons: i was not a perminent teacher and did not receive benefits.
A typical day workig at PS 63 included filling in for absent teachers. I would pick up my lesson plans and go to my class. I tried to stick with the routine of the classroom teacher to continue with classroom management daily. The hardest part of the job was moving from classroom to classromm and not being setteled in one classroom where I could get to know the kids individually.
Good
Assistant Principal and Athletic Director (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 28, 2014
Pros: being surrounded by sports
Cons: the faces of students when they lose games.
7am-7pm
I've learned how to manage and supervise one of the top department of education sports, pe and health programs.
My co-workers are great and we work as team.
The hardest part of the job is finding out students are not guided at home.
The most enjoyable is when students receive athletic and academic scholarships.