New York City Department of Education Employee Reviews

having a board of education by self
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJune 20, 2017
I am lucky to have worked here with professional office staff members and who didn't teach me that much about the arts of administrative duties. I regret not learning as much here.
Love my kids, and my coworkers is the best
Senior Lunch Helper (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2017
I love this job, but they don't pay good, I still have to look for something else. The benefits is great , you get to meet some great children, you get to encourage some one other than yourself.
Pros
The children you meet
Cons
The pay
great job
Substitute Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2017
its a good job because i get to help the children. My job entitles us helping the children understand more by breaking it down for them if they did understand it the way the teacher explained it.
high paced place to work
High School Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 19, 2017
Manage a classroom full of students, paraprofessionals, develop legally binding academic plans and transitional life goals for students, attend professional development meetings, have detailed lesson plans, be prepared for observations and be able to implement feedback into future lessons.
Love to help the children.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2017
Caring, assisting, managing, directing children on a daily basis. In classroom, during specials, during lunch, bathroom breaks and classroom tasks. Seeing the improvement and the children happy is the best part.
High-stress place of work
Social Studies/Dual Language teacher (Spanish) (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NY 11223June 13, 2017
Working for the NYC Department of Education is learning balance the good with the bad in order to focus on the most important part: teaching. It's tough given the amount of paperwork and requirements forced upon teachers can sometimes lead to teachers burning out more quickly and not allowing for more flexibility with what at the core of education, which is the actual teaching. The benefits are good though and there is satisfaction in teaching and getting kids to learn, but the paperwork and the bureaucracy can make a negative impact on the experience.
Pros
Work hours are manageable.
Cons
Work space is extremely micro-managed.
fun place
Para-Professional (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2017
Great environment to enrich kids and prepare them for the real world.
Amazing opportunity to collaborate with teachers and school districts ensure that children are academically excelling.
Pros
free lunches
Awesome Opportunity
Community Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 12, 2017
School culture is very different these days. Challenges are beyond educational or even behavioral. There are a lot of different dynamics to classroom management now.
Pros
paid time off
Cons
So many students need so much more than can be given within 8 hours each day.
Decent
CPSE District 26 (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 11, 2017
I worked from two divisions of the Dept of Education. The CPSE was a very nice experience. I worked with coordination of IEPs and arrangement of meetings between parents and staff.
Fun place to work at
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 10, 2017
Fun place to work at, I didn't feel like I was working, it felt like I was spending time with family. Every day was a joy to work with kids. Watching them learn and play was a joy.

Want to know more about New York City Department of Education?

Ask a question
Interesting
MIDDLE SCHOOL SCIENCE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 9, 2017
I taught middle school science and health. The work culture was great here. The teachers and staff support each other and automatically being in the Union helped if you ever had an issue.
Pros
Free lunches, holidays, paid summers off, Union
Cons
overcrowded classrooms
Its good environment if you want to learn HR and systems setting for the DOE
Community Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2017
Its good environment if you want to learn HR and systems setting for the DOE. most of the people are professional and some are not. the best part of the day is to clock out and go home.
Excellent work environment.
Dean of Students Assistant. (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 8, 2017
As a Dean's Aide, there's not many negative things to say. The pay wasn't very much, but the excellent benefits made up for that. It was part time, and I wish it were full time.
I absolutely loved working for the Department of Education. My bosses were all great, my colleagues were great, it was a fun, happy, outgoing environment. I would have never left this position if not to complete my degree quick enough to enter the following Police Academy.
Pros
Excellent people and benefits.
Cons
Part time.
Bureaucracy at its finest
High School English Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2017
My experience with the DOE was non impressive to say the least. The lack of professionalism and efficiency at the time had me running into a different direction for a career.
Good For People Without Dependents
Para-professional/ Certified Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 5, 2017
Working as a substitute paraprofessional has been very rewarding. The job is great for anyone who needs a flexible schedule and who doesn't have a lot of bills to pay and/ or dependents. It is very difficult to survive on this income alone. Even working all 180 school days would only amount to about $25 k. In NYC , more than half of your salary would go in rent alone.
Pros
short work days / summer & holidays off
Cons
No pay for summer & or holidays. Master Budgeter Required
data base entry clerk
Intern (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJune 4, 2017
Inputted all the data entry for the engineering inspection for the New York City Department of Education. The position taught me lots about the Department of Education and gave me the opportunity to learn about the inspections.
Pros
opportunity to learn about engineering inspections
Cons
wasn't related to accounting/book keeping
Flexible days
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 4, 2017
You have a choice of what days you want to work. I am a Graduate student so I prefer to be a Substitute teacher with the NYC DOE while finishing my degree because the days are flexible and less stress with managing with papers. I've always loved working and helping children to learn and I feel that this is a good way for me to work with them and get the experience while going to school.
Productive work place
Substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  New york, NYJune 3, 2017
The most enjoyable part about my job is that i get to work with students who are really in need of extra help. I enjoy working hard with students who have learning disabilities because i really feel like I'm making a difference in their lives.
Great Place to work.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 2, 2017
Great Place to work. Lots of opportunities to get into different, diverse areas. There is in-classroom work, plus out of classroom, just as fulfilling opportunities.
Substitute teaching at its best
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 2, 2017
Teaching in NYC is hard, but substitute teaching is harder! However, your time is your own. You can choose to work when you want. The days are set by you. But its challenging bc working with children in the inner city is always stressful.