New York City Department of Education

New York City Department of Education Employer Reviews

Great opportunity for an educator
Cofounder and 9-12th English teacher (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 9, 2014
Pros: students
Cons: administrators
My typical day consisted of me teaching English to 9-12th grade students of low socioeconomic status. I learned that leadership requires a unique individual who is able to balance the workload of his or her collaborative workforce. Due to the influence of the high stake testing, teachers and students were often under stressful situations. The hardest – more... part of the job was to teach effectively with all the added paperwork. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the students gain motivation to learn. – less
A great place to work for that offers much to learn.
Licensed Bilingual School Social Worker (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 28, 2014
Pros: long summer vacations.
Cons: i think it is a great place to work for.
A typical day at work includes working with children and adults from eight in the morning till about three in the afternoon. The job offers many opportunities to learn about cultural diversities, learning and developmental delays, mental retardation, autism, emotional disabilities, etc. One can also appreciate different learning styles. The supervisors – more... are great. They offer good guidance and professional support. The co-workers are nice. They are real team players, who work in collaboration with each-other. The hardest part of the job is making sure that the recommendations one makes for a student, are the most adequate ones, and that the program that one is recommending is available. The most enjoyable part of it is knowing that one has helped a child, and/or a family. – less
Has a lot of potential
Special Educator (M.S. 103/ Satellite III) (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYMay 18, 2014
SAT III was a decent school. It was easy getting along with the staff. For the most part, students took some initiative to learn.
Productive work environment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 14, 2014
This opportunities have enhanced my knowledge and sensitivity to diverse cultures, social, and learning needs of preschool, elementary and middle age children.
Office of School Support
Senior Grants Officer (Former Employee), Queens, NYMay 4, 2014
Great Executive and supportive leaders. Everyone was really passionate about their jobs and treated each other like family. The work life balance was also an awesome benefit. I worked hard but the job didn't require me to stay late every night.
Office of School Support
Senior Grants Officer (Former Employee), Queens, NYMay 4, 2014
Helping the Needs of Verbal and Non-verbal Children Daily
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee), Staten Island, N.Y.April 29, 2014
Pros: salary, hours
Cons: more intereaction with family for carryover
Working for the DOE was a wonderful experience. I had the privilage of working with wonderful teachers and therapists that worked together and made a difference. It was rewarding as a therapist to see the differences we all made in each and every student. It was a rewarding job and I look forward to making a difference in more childrens lives.
Great Benefits and Job Security
Educational Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 28, 2014
Great benefits. Stress level of the work environment greatly depends on school and population of students that you are assigned to work with.
I love working in a NYC School
Office Assistant through School Professionals (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 28, 2014
Pros: working in my daughters school.
Working in a school is a fast-past environment. As soon as I take off my coat, I get going. I typical day can be signing in late kids, making copies of HW or curriculum for staff as requested, logging in inventory and supplies, corresponding with current and prospective parents via email, creating flyers and signs for the school and parents, updating – more... monthly calendars, etc. I’ve learned to move past my comfort zone. My Principal is great and my co-workers are even greater. I started out in a new environment. I spent many years in a private organization so the school environment was really scary for me. I just rolled up my sleeves and do what needs to me done. Luckily I have volunteered here the year before about 3-4 days a week so I wasn’t totally thrown off guard but being an employee is so different and I LOVE IT!
The best part of my day and seeing my daughter in the halls and when the others children see me and call my name and give me a hug. You can’t beat this! – less
Working for the New York City Department of Education is a very rewarding experience.
Educational Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 27, 2014
Pros: plenty of professional development avenues.
Cons: there are no cons.
Each day there is a new challenge to address regarding the student body. I have learned that there maybe no other employment that is more important, because of the level of responsibility involved in shaping the lives and futures of young people. The leadership and my coworkers are supportive, easily available and very professional. The hardest part – more... of the job is sometimes it may take a little longer than expected to get a student to realize his potential. The most enjoyable part is watching the process unfold when a student realizes his potential. – less
Productive and efficient workplace
Per Diem Social Studies Instructor (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 21, 2014
My first corporate job at Health Plus taught me many soft skills that I have carried on to future jobs. While at Health Plus I was promoted from a Marketing Representative to a Customer Support member and learned many facets of the workplace such as sales, business development and customer service.

The hardest part of my job was the volume of the calls – more... however I handled my call volume very well.

I enjoyed working with co-workers at Health Plus and we would go out and celebrate birthdays so it was a good experience – less
Great place to work.
Secretary to the General Counsel (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 18, 2014
Working at the NYCDOE was a great opportunity for me to network with talented individuals who has a passion for public service. The benefits are great.
Dynamic Workplace With Teens
English Language Arts Teacher (Current Employee), Queens, NYApril 17, 2014
Pros: you make a difference in the life of every individual student you encounter.
Cons: salary
Everyday is different because I work with 153 teenage students that have distinct personalities, desires and needs. To insure that my students learn I must create a universal approach so that they can participate in learning on multiple levels.

I find that I am constantly learning new material to teach my students about different topics. Keeping them – more... interested is key to getting them to come back for more and to think critically. Learning new material is not the only thing that makes my job interesting. Learning new methodologies to deliver the information to my students to make sure they learn is also important. We are in a constant state of change to insure that we deliver the best possible education to insure our students are college or career ready when they graduate from high school. We evaluate our methodologies and develop approaches that target the specific learning needs of students.

My management provides all of the necessary tools required work collaboratively with my peers to provide the best education for our students.

My direct supervisor provides hours of weekly training to our combined faculty to insure that we are using the best approach to educate our students. This often involves remaining at work late into the afternoon or into the evening to develop our skills or the plan for the future.

The most difficult part of the job is keeping my students (my customers) on the hook to insure that their desire to learn does not end at the classroom door.

I enjoy watching my students learn and then master a skill. I further enjoy watching them use the newly acquired skill to acquire more skills and build their knowledge over a course of time. – less
Up and Down
Certified NYS Teacher (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 17, 2014
Pros: colleagues are sometimes nice, benefits are good, if they keep you long enough to reap them.
Cons: dont trust the prinicpal's
Working at a NYC school is good and bad at times. Principals do what they want, violate all teacher contracts and get away with it. The only good thing you look forward to is the years. As the years go by, your salary goes up. But even then, you have to be weary because you can be fired at a drop of a dime. By the stroke of the principal's pen and you – more... are GONE. The students will make you feel good (depending on where you teach) overall students and their parent will make you feel you are doing a stellar job.

But the administration sucks. BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! – less
Creative staff members
Teacher (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 16, 2014
Pros: great staff
Cons: bureaucracy
This organization has highly qualified staff members and great programs for staff development, however there seems to be a great need for creative management and less conflict between management groups.
Per-diem substitute
Substitute teacher (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 14, 2014
Greatly depends on the school one gets assigned to. A good school will yield a good day at work, while a rough school would be difficult.
A great place to work
Science Teacher (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 14, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: lack of enough equipment and supplies
Since it is an inner city, urban school, there is a great deal of diversity which allows the students to be well rounded.
Great place to work, great staff
Principal/Payroll Secretary-Office Administrator (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 14, 2014
Pros: all holidays, school breaks and summers off
Cons: irate parents and students
I am an administrative support to Elementary School Principal and Assistant Principal.
I am also the payroll secretary with a staff of 50+.
My typical day is typing memos, letters. Prepare and process purchase orders. Payroll processing for staff members. Strong interaction with fellow co-workers, Upper Management, elementary age students and parents.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 3, 2014
I feel it prepares you for when you have your own classroom and helps improve your classroom management strategies
A fast paste environment. The culture was great and everyone got along great
Technology and Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 24, 2014
Pros: they acknowledged our hard work and rewarded us with food and or gave us a nice little break.
It was a very busy place. There was always something to move, reorganize, ship out and or receive.
The job provided so much training. Optional and mandatory but it did help a lot. I grew professionally.
This job knew who was the perfect fit for what role. They hired people with high energy and had a great passion for kids and their learning.