New York City Department of Education Employee Reviews

Tough Job, Great Experience
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: great experience, great learning experience
Cons: per diem pay schedule, no benefits.
You confront students every day who think because you're there, it's their day off. You have to be subtle, persuasive, and as efficient as possible. It's great classroom management experience.
hard working, fast and efficient
Custodian Engineer Public School 4 (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 16, 2014
Cons: poor management
Poor management. No room to advance. On the move all day with running of day to day operation of building daily. I work well with others , always helpful, and my most enjoyable part is the children. to make sure every thing is in working condition, and helpful for there learning experience.
I was a 6th grade Social Studies teacher
Teacher - IS (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYDecember 16, 2014
Loved the kids, and teaching. However the paperwork and constantly changing expectations on a teacher are hard to deal with.
it's a govt job
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 15, 2014
Great benefits. City office can be extremely unhelpful. But if you find a good school with a good administration it can be a very rewarding job.
Teaching in the inner city means your selling all day everyday.
English Language Arts Teacher (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 22, 2014
Pros: everyday is different and it's fun to work with young people.
Cons: expect to work at least 10-12 hours per day during the school year if you want your weekends free.
It is very rewarding to work with high needs students because you have to sell to them everyday to get them to learn and grow. It's fun to facilitate learning using various multimedia and technology platforms to keep students attention and focus. Each day is planned carefully using different presentations and activities to build students knowledge of literature and develop their writing skills.
Regarding the Department of Education
Temporary Clerical Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 19, 2014
Pros: hard work is recognized at this job and you will be called back due to working hard.
Cons: due to it being a temporary assignment, there are no benefits and not too much room for growth.
A typical day at work includes sorting, entering and validating lunch applications so that New York City students between the grades of pre-k and 12th can be 'coded' to determine whether they are to pay – more... or receive lunch for free. At this job, I have learned how to enter and validate student applications using Franklin Free and Reduced Meal Benefit Management software. I learned that being a hard worker and quick learner allows room for advancement. I respect many of my co-worker because they feel the same way I do regarding our responsibility toward NY city students which is getting the applications done, getting the students 'coded' in order to be sure they've eaten (for some it’s their only meal, I take that very seriously). My job is not hard at all, it is very detail-oriented but, it is not difficult in the least. The satisfaction of knowing that the student's applications have been taken care of and the determination of eligibility for lunch, albeit free or paid has been made, is the most enjoyable part of my job. – less
The job isn't always about the job
Manager and Compliance Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 12, 2014
Teaching loses its beauty when it is clouded with administrative snags.
no dress code required, a socialable environment
School Aide (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 3, 2014
My typical day at work is very busy during the day dealing with different situations with student and staff. I have learned that coming to work on time and getting your job tasks done make the job easier – more... to deal with. I work and get along well with all of the staff members in the building which holds 4 other different schools. The hardest part of my job is to deal with students with the age that they are having a difficult time finishing school and passing their GED test before they age out of the Program which allow ages 17 1/2 to 21yrs old before transferring to adult ED to continue there Education. However the most enjoyable Part of my the Job is to see the students who have been striving hard to Graduate an get their GED or Diploma to move on to College. – less
important work with good salary, even better benefits and job security
Client Contract Manager (Current Employee), Brooklyn NYOctober 30, 2014
Pros: benefits, important work
Cons: civil service environment
large employer with reasonable salaries and advancement opportunities and great benefits. Many educated and intelligent employees but often difficult environment due to civil service environment and bureaucracy. Working with and on behalf of students can be very rewarding and often is but many obstacles in a public agency.
Settlement Attorney
Attorney (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 14, 2014
I would like to be more intellectually challenged at work. My legal expertise is not being utilized. I perform clerical work for a good portion of the day.
Hierarchical workplace for administrative faculty
LIC, NY, Graphic Design Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 9, 2014
Pros: gained great knowledge of office applications
Cons: six years ft hours and still considered a temp worker?
My 6 year experience at the New York City Department of Education in Long Island City had it's share of ups and downs. Ultimately, I learned a great deal of management skills and applications, Excel, Office, et al., for which I am thankful. I enjoyed my scheduling and communication tasks which allowed me to present my graphic and visual skills to large faculty audiences.
Bureaucracy on Steroids
Information Architect (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 9, 2014
Pros: no mandatory overtime
Cons: ever-present timeclock, user-hostile project tracking software, fear-driven management
Worked with design and web development teams (nice people for the most part) on schools website, intranet and enterprise applications.
For a .NET developer who wants to just show up, do the work and collect – more... a paycheck DIIT offers a congenial and not-too-demanding work environment. The downside is that it's not a corporate culture that rewards innovation. As a result, on the site and in enterprise development, frustrating and and unusable UIs stay that way while more politically 'sensitive' projects get fast-tracked, regardless of their irrelevance to the needs of parents and students.
It's a place with far more room for improvement than willingness to improve. – less
great job
fdny (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 2, 2014
Pros: 10
Cons: ..
fight fighter saving ppl great job love everything about it
great place to work
Assist the Borough Safety Director (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: meet greet new people
Cons: no overtime
Learned skills while working there that would prepare me for a job almost anywhere
nice place to work for
Second & Fourth Grade Classroom Teacher (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 28, 2014
Nice, supportive colleagues. I know the principal has changed since i've been there so I can't speak to that.
This company offers opportunity to advance in a professional label
Educator Assistant (Current Employee), Bronx, NYSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: pays for bachelor degree
A typical day at work consists in escorting students from bussing to school. assist teacher in implementation of students EIP.
I have learned many skills that are helpful to students with Autism such as – more... ABA, SMILE. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing my students move up from a restrictive classroom environment to a least restrictive classroom, but the hardest part is having to say goodbye to them after being together for 1-2 years. – less
Great Place to work
Math Coach; Technology Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: compensation, benefits, great teachers
Cons: some old schools that need upgrade, air quality is poor.
Great place to work, teachers are respected, good compensation and benefits. Many advancement opportunities. Great professional development and fair work versus home balance. A great place to work.
NYC DOE Certified Teacher
English Teacher (Certified/Permanent) (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: reach one in order to teach one.
Cons: mayoral control
After teaching for over 10 yrs, I have managed to support and maintain the perseverance for educating NYC students with dedication and enlightenment.
Watching student growth and building their confidence.
Teacher (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: learning new skills and techniques every day.
Cons: needing more assistance in the classroom at time.
Working at the New York City Department of Education was challenging. Learning how to reach students who were on different learning levels and developing a teaching style that would accommodate all students – more... was challenging and exciting.

My work as a substitute teacher taught me how to have and developed better classroom management skills.

The bond you develop with other teachers is valuable and you remain friends even when you leave the school. They are life long friendships. – less
Not for the thin-skinned!
Literacy Coach (Former Employee), BronxSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: retirement system
Cons: degree of paperwork
The quality of a job at NYCDOE is highly variable depending on the school and principal. There are basic benefits that teachers will have to work hard to hold onto throughout the coming years, especially – more... retirement. The UFT is an excellent union, but the climate for working in education is demanding, especially in high needs schools. Burnout is very high. Collaboration with peers and supervisors is often no easy task. The best part of the job is a cliche, but true, making a difference in the lives of young people. Teaching is delicate; it's not a blunt instrument. Rent a storage space to hold all the materials you will need! Best advice, keep your opinions about the people your work with to yourself. Never gossip. – less