New York City Department of Education Employee Reviews

Managed Procurement and Contracts for Dept of Education
Senior Contracts and Procurement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 15, 2017
Reviewed and approved contracts for different divisions of Dept.
Write specifications and scope of work for needed professional services.
Conducted pre-proposal conferences and purchasing workshops
Trained staff
Ensured compliance with all laws and regulations
Prepared documents for internal and external audits
Pros
Job security
Cons
Limited advancement
Loved working with this company
School Lunch Helper (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 14, 2017
Typical day was to prep and cook nutritional meals for students in Public and Charter school students from Pre-k to High School.I learned how to prepare and handle food in a safe and sanitary way. The work culture was great. Everyone got along. The hardest part was not being able to give a second meal to a child that was still hungry. When students enjoy what you serve and make a special request for certain meals, that's the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Schedule and summer vacations.
Cons
Lot of standing.
Excellent teaching experience and many opprtunities for professional development
92Q, The Harry T. Stewart, Sr. School (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 12, 2017
Working for the DOE has many pros such as varied experience, excellent professional devolpment opportunities, job security and tefific health care benefits,

Some cons are that the salarty does not match the cost of living in the city. Commuting can become extremly stressful as traffic is quite heavy. Parking at many schools is close to impossible and public transportation is not as easy as often described when on a schedule.
Pros
heatlh benefits
Cons
commute, parking
Dept of Education
Dietary (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 11, 2017
I have no complaints, I work well with my staff, The hardest part of my job is working with adults in the building, My most enjoyable part of the job is my babies I feed everyday, seeing their smiles and the thank you I receive from them everyday for the meal I serviced them.
Pros
Every job has its good
Cons
Every job has its bad
Independent Monitors needed. Data is questionable
School Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 10, 2017
Needs independent monitors. Update computer system to alert and require verified reasons for grade and attendance changes.

Grade changes made to make sure no child was left behind. Students who did not meet attendance criteria and or was unable to read graduated.
Pros
Free education
Cons
Questionable leadership
It is a secure place to work, with pretty helpful colegues.
High School Mathematics Teacher. (Former Employee) –  NYC, and The BronxOctober 10, 2017
Working for the NYC Department of Education was a very fullfeeling experience. It gave me many years of satisfying teaching adolescents, and being capable of maintain a good relationship with my colegues , and supervisors.
Pros
A friendly, and helpful atmosphere.
Cons
Na
Extremely rewarding
Parent Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2017
Working with kids I learned something new everyday about myself and about life. Makes me want to give more of myself, I believe the students give me more than I have given them
Pros
Being able to help students, watching them grow
Cons
I can't think of one at the moment
You better love teaching and be self sufficient.
7th & 8th Grade Social Studies Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2017
Working for the NYC DOE has been featured in a high visibility documentary, written about in countless publications and the list is virtually endless but nothing comes close to living this experience. One must have nerves of steel and be confident and self-sufficient to manage any and all situations at any given moment. It is not a job for the faint of heart as a teacher in this system needs to wear many, many different hats in order to survive. Success is measured through surviving each day.
Pros
Excellent benefits, schedule and many good people...
Cons
Very non supportive environment serving a very high risk population.
Challenging but Rewarding
Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2017
Very fast-paced day to day environment, lots of learning experiences in working with different personality types as well as under-served populations of students.
Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 7, 2017
During my time spent at this internship it was more of a teaching expeirience more than a job, it felt like I was learning every single day on something new to do
New York City Department of Education
Universal Pre Kindergarten (UPK), Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 7, 2017
I had a great professional career teaching, staff developing and supervising teachers and teaching children. I grew up in this profession and retired at the end of 30 years. The job was often stressful but still worth it when you reap rewards from the hard work put in.
Pros
A great Ctiy Job with awesome benefits
Cons
long days can be stressful
Fulfilling Career
School Social Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 5, 2017
Great place to be if in a supportive work setting. Fast paced environment. You never know what type of day you will have. But servicing students is what fulfills me.
Life in the DOE
Assistant Principal of Administration (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 5, 2017
A typical day involves working on every aspect of running a school for an AP. Instruction, operations, safety & security, as well as developing programs for students to grow social-emotionally are all part of a days work. The environment is fast paced, and you have to be able to wear many hats. One of the few drawbacks is the colocation of schools within a building. If the different administrators are not on the same page (and fortunately those in my campus are) work can be very difficult. Overall working for the NYC Department of Education will get you a well-rounded experience for those assistant principals looking to become a principal one day
1 To 1 With Student
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 4, 2017
Currently, I am working with a 5th grader, he is a nice kid, but has a hard time staying focused. The staff at the school are great. The school over all is nice and its close to home.
Dean of Students
Dean of Students (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 4, 2017
The opportunity to help students is fantastic. If you're fortunate enough to work in a school with a positive culture, the position is very fulfilling.
Pros
Helping Students; Opportunity to provide a positive contribution to school culture
Cons
Education bureaucracy will wear on you if you don't stay focused.
Important to know where you want to go
COLLEGE AND CAREER COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 4, 2017
Important to know where you want to go.
great thing is you are able to move around once in DOE however it does take them long to get back to applications. great benefits and discounts
Paraprofessional (Teacher Assistant) (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 3, 2017
Working here it was great . Love working in new york . Great place to work at . Especially when I are helping students to achieve their goals . Love it
Typical Day
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 3, 2017
A typical day a work would require staff members to receive children arriving off busses or walking in. Monitoring the cafeteria during breakfast and accounting for each child as they transition to the classroom for instruction. In the classroom the teacher would have prepared lessons for various subjects through out the day. The staff members are compiled from many cultural backgrounds.
NYC Department of Education
School Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 2, 2017
i enjoyed working there but i have a emergency in my family that i had to relocate to take care of my very ill father. I hate leaving my job but my father didnt have no one to help him.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 2, 2017
It was great working with children and also helping them grow as a team. They worked so hard and it felt good to see the progress. I helped them strive.