New York City Department of Education Employee Reviews

High expectation.
High School Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2016
As a Spanish teacher I had the opportunity to work with students in different levels. In one of my classes, I was supposed to teach my introductory level students a vocabulary about clothing. The day before, I told the students to bring magazines to create posters with people wearing different clothes during different seasons of the year. The students were placed into different groups. They created posters and drew pictures of different people wearing different clothes for different season.

The most enjoyable part was when the students were able to present their posters, describing in Spanish what the people were were wearing in different seasons of the year.

The hardest part of this class, was to have all the students present their part. Since they were expecting the other students to do the presentation for them.
Pros
Summer vacation
Cons
Too much work
Productive, intense, and busy work place.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 5, 2016
A typical day at work is settling children to learn new information
in various subject areas based on the Common Core Educational Standards.
Pros
Sharing wealth of knowledge with children and adults.
Cons
Long hours of paperwork at home.
Productive Work Place
School Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 16, 2016
Working for the NYC DOE has been a great learning experience. Students and Teachers learn a great deal from one another. Counseling students and families have created a world of opportunity for students to continue to grow and mature for their future endeavors.
Pros
Learning Experiences
Cons
N/A
great job and benefits
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Far Rockaway, NYAugust 25, 2016
 Assist children and provide them with instructional services to students under supervision of a certified teacher
 Reinforce positive behavior, and teach daily independent living skills using appropriate training
 Providing language assistance for bilingual students
Productive and fun place to learn and grow
Payroll Secretary (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 29, 2016
NYC Department of Education is privileged with phenomenal educators would are driven to push students toward success, both academically and socially. It's a collaborative effort that takes grit, resilience and a made up mind to teach and learn simultaneously.
The job can be challenging at times because of the type of students I work with, but in the end it is all about the students learning.
Educational Associate Level III (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 24, 2016
Alert, Ready and Prepared to work. Patients and Understanding. Helpful. Heipful and Understanding. A disruptive student. All students learning.
Challenging, but a rewarding experience!
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 8, 2016
Everyday is different at the NYC public schools. There are good days and bad days, it's a challenge out there. I learned to be a better mom by working with so many children for so many years. Co-workers can be great, not so great and ok. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help a child with everything he or she needs. The best part of the job is the VACATIONS AND THE DAYS OFF HERE AND THERE
!!!
Pros
Being able to help a child.
Cons
Get stuck with a horrible co-worker.
You have to love children and parents to work here...
Parent Coordinator/Webmaster/Data (Current Employee) –  Astoria, NYMarch 12, 2015
There's no such thing as a typical day at work when you work in a school. Some days are pretty smooth and others not that much.

I have learned to diffuse situations, listen in a non-judgmental manner, how to handle difficult situations without losing my cool. I have became pretty assertive and a good presenter and public speaker provided that I know what I'm talking about.

Management (school administrators) are extremely supportive at my job.

My co-workers are amazing hard working people with diverse personalities and cultures and I love this.

The hardest part of my job is not being appreciated at times.

The most enjoyable part of my job is making a difference every single day.
Pros
a lot of time off. good benefits. sense of fulfillment.
Cons
low salary. no growth potential.
productive and fun work environment
Paraprofessional Educator (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 30, 2016
I loved working with kids .helping them on their journey to the next step in their educational life. seein some of the staff so involved and actually care about the kids success and future
Pros
kids, trips, staff
Cons
staff, no job security
Very interactive and gratifying experience
Fort Hamilton High School, Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 8, 2016
To teach at a public high school was a great experience for me because I learned so much from my students and colleagues. I also was able to share my knowledge on Biology with my students which was a very gratifying experience.
Good place to work in it
Assistant teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 25, 2016
I am very happy to work with the department of education as assistant teacher for district 75 for more than 3 years I have got good experience working as team work dealing with a lot of students and co workers from all over.
One to One Making A Difference
Paraprofessional Special Education (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 2, 2016
It feels wonderful to come into work every morning and have your student smile the moment they see you. Ive seen my student grow from minimal conversation to reading and writing and nonstop talking
My calling.
Substitute Teacher (Special Education) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 9, 2016
My teaching experience has been a journey in developing my craft. I jump out of bed on days that I am teaching. I look forward to the day I have the keys to my own classroom where I can truly make an impact in my students lives.
Pros
pedagogy
Interesting work place
Supported Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 24, 2016
everyday is basically the same as a assistant teacher. We are giving a work assignment at the beginning of the school year, everyday we teach the same subject at the same time. As the students gather an understanding of the lesson for the day we add to it.
Pros
Great healthcare and vacation time
Cons
Low pay
Good workplace
Dean of students/Community Associate (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 30, 2016
I enjoyed my time working the New York City Department of Education. I've learned to work within a large entity where I can show off my talents to educate our students for tomorrows challenges.
great place to advance in your education
Education Family Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 18, 2015
My work is most productive on busy days, I have learned a lot including handling the ATS systems which we use to monitor attendance, medical, and scores for all students. This database holds all that is needed to run a school in my department. The hardest part of the job is once you have reached the maximum amount under your title their is no room for promotions. You would have to receive more education that is if you can afford to pay for it, in order to be promoted. The most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job, is to have former students return and tell you thank you for pushing them to work and study harder, and for our patient.
Pros
you recieve ample amount of days off, and benefits are a plus
Cons
for one month of the year, you don't get paid.
Great communication and learning environment
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 10, 2016
Having the benefit of teaching and helping kids learn in all areas of studies. Learning the psychological behaviors of all students from the ages k-5.
Pros
50 minute lunches
Challenging yet enriching job.
Paraprofessional/Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 4, 2016
Typical day is working with children with special needs, behavioral, mental and physical. Assisting the teachers with day to day activities.
Pros
Paid vacation, tution reimbursement
Cons
no overtime.
Fun loving work environment.
Substitute Para Professional (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 11, 2016
Working with children is always great because they are always so busy. There is never a dull moment. I take pride in being a good leader so working with children is something I really enjoyed.
Pros
Working with children is awesome. They make your days come alive and there is never a dull moment.
Cons
On Call
Great Place to work.
TEACHER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2016
Loved working for NYC DOE. Great place to work. Helped develop me into the amazing teaching that I am today, Great benefits and supportive environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York City Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.

New York City Department of Education Reviews by Location