New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene

New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Employer Reviews

Work, work and work.
Bureau of Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 23, 2014
A typical day at work is Work, work and work. Every day I learned something new. All co-workers are excellent and we work as tem worker. The hardest part of the job is set down without any works. The most enjoyable part of the job is work, work and work.
Over all co-workers city-wide great to work with
Phlebotomist/Medical Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 9, 2014
Pros: good benefits and sick and vacation time accumulate
Cons: the inconsideration management has for the employees
I enjoy my job as a Lab. Assoc./Phlebotomist, I have been blessed to have very nice co-workers which makes my work day pleasant.

Management however, dose not take their employees into consideration, even those with seniority are treated like a new employee.

The hardest part of the job is you are expected at any time to travel sometimes 1-2 hours to – more... different job locations, even though there are employees who live closer to that particular job location. Management likes to say "be glade you have a job".

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the patients and my co-workers. – less
Benefits
Clerical Associate III Epi Clerk (Promotion) (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 6, 2014
Pros: benefits health care, paid sick leave
They have excellent benefits, There are paid sick and annual leave. room for growth
College Aide (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 25, 2014
A very excellent learning experience.
Work in a very fast area.
I was able to manage time, worked well with team member or co-workers.
Excellent agency that provide service to the public and address public health issues
Senior Public Health Advisor (Current Employee), 42-09 28th Street Queens , NY 11101October 31, 2013
The agency has armed me with the right tools through training to educate and be a productive health professional.
work environment
Public Health Inspector (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 11, 2013
Cons: rigorous schedules with no real flexibility.
Very diverse working atmosphere with the potential for career improvement within the department. Ideal position for someone who enjoys the outdoors or has their own means of transportation.
Exciting and influential
Nutrition Policy Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 12, 2013
Exciting place to work to have large scale impact on the health and wellness of New York City residents.
Extremely informative work environment
Public Health Sanitarian (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 27, 2012
Pros: great benefits, yearly increase in salary for first 3 years, reliable management and co-workers
Cons: short lunch break, carrying a heavy bag around every day, and not only being able to work in your city.
A typical day at work is generally consistent. On a daily basis, you are dealing with a superfluous amounts of personalities, races, and age groups which can be used as an asset for the worker, because it builds versatility. I've learned an extreme amount of information about the the proper precautions to handle food and prevent communicable and food – more... borne illnesses in restaurants, schools, bars, and swimming pools. My Supervisors and Directors are extremely helpful and willing to lend a helping hand whenever any issues arise. They are also very respectful, courteous, and professional. The coworkers also serve as a support system and good company when we are in the office on Fridays.The hardest part of my job is dealing with the many personalities that I encounter on a daily basis. In essence, I am practicing public health by enforcing the NYC Health Code, yet some Restaurant owners merely see it as Health Inspectors giving them violations. Once the right message is given, the personalities I encounter is not a problem. The most enjoyable part of the job is teaching people about the proper ways to handle food, and seeing the look on their faces when all their hard work they have been practicing from the information given to them by different Inspectors results in an A grade. – less
Productive environment and opportunity for career growth.
Program Manager/Consultant (Bureau of Maternal (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 25, 2012
Worked with highly intelligent colleagues, participated in creative and innovative projects.
good place to start work right after school..
Public Health Sanitarian Level II (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 16, 2012
At job you get to travel all over the city. I learned how to interact with different people in different settings, how to deal with high intense situation when it comes to closing a reataurant. Management at the work site needs lots of improvements.