New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Great Intern Experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYAugust 21, 2017
Gained a lot of insight into the day-to-day of what goes on in the DOHMH. My preceptor was very helpful and gave meaningful assignment to build my skills.
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJune 27, 2017
Fun atmosphere with a lot of resources. They really value employees here and you will feel it. Working at a computer all day can get monotonous, but the city really tries to show you your worth.
Balance Work Life
Clerical Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 26, 2017
This was a good place to work. The work they gave balance the day out. You never felt stressed or underwhelmed. I would recommend others to work here.
Great place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJune 26, 2017
INTERN status
Learning statistics package, methodology, programming, and whole new lingo for gathering results of survey and making presentable first drafts of conclusions from the survey.

The people around me were helpful, diverse, and bright.
Learning new things is always a plus for me. Apparently I was hired with no clue as to what I could contribute, but I exceeded expectations with going beyond Microsoft Office capabilities.
Pros
Cons
Commute 2.5 hours one way
An excellent place to acquire experience in the medical vocations of choice.
Public Health Advisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2017
It was a good opportunity to have worked there in that I have ascertained that one needs to advance oneself in the medical field ( to acquire licenses as R.N, NP, M.D) in order to advance one's professional career at this agency.
Conditional work enviornment
Public Record Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2017
Typical work day was fast paced, at times stressful for lack of team work. This was due to the fact that once a worker becomes a certified city employee, he/she can often avoid responsibilities with impunity. Management is left with less control over the running of the units.
Often times the manager with excellent work ethics takes on the extra assignments. The most difficult part of the job was rushing our work in order to meet deadline dates due to certified employees lack of team work.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the few individuals that appreciated team work. Their attitudes often made up for the less enjoyable aspects of the job.
Pros
Over time compensation
Cons
endless exams for certification
good schedule
Registered Nurse, School Nurse (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2017
excellent for someone with small children since you can work while they are in school. The only bad part is when setting up appointments, needs to be after 4:30pm or Saturdays.
Overall a good place to work
Laboratory Microbiologist LM (Former Employee) –  455 First Avenue, New York NY 10016June 20, 2017
Overall a good place to work if you are assigned to the right team and supervision.
Very diverse place. Work place generally not stressful. Needs improvement when it comes to proper training of satff.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Many conflicts of interest and power
Professional environment
X-Ray Technologist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2017
Was sorry to leave. Got laid off. Only problem there was no parking.My department supervisor was very knowledgeable and fair. There was plenty of support from the clerical and administrative staff there.
Pros
Professional environment.
Cons
No parking for x-ray techs.
Automny Rewrding
Public Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2017
Autonomy Rewarding Diverse community great co-workers and management is awesome teamwork.
I really like the company, best benefits. great leadership from upper Management. I also enjoyed the online modules for training purposes and the many opportunities offered. They are a company that belives in educating their staff.
Benefits
Cons
Parking
Interesting
Internship in Office of School Health (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 17, 2017
The centralized building in the Queens have all the amenities necessary for work but the off-site health departments in various boroughs and neighborhoods lack rudimentary resources.
Safe environment for every individual to work
Public Health Sanitarian II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 21, 2017
Everyday at work is a new opportunity to learn something different. Opportunity to meet and work with people all race and culture. A day at work start by communicating with the client and attending to their needs
Excellent learning opportunities for the self directed
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2017
DOHMH allows for a self directed person to take on tasks and research that provide excellent professional development and opportunity to play a role in driving policy.
Stable, productive and a well managed agency.
Serves as liaison (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2017
A very flexible job schedule that involves travelling around the city. I meet different providers for assemment and quality improvement. Never a boring moment. I leanrned to work with diversified professionals and population. I have contributed to the improvement of immunization coverage within the city and also reduced wasteful usage of public funds. My work unit is diversified with different national origin. Travelling during winter is a challenge by public transport but adequate planning goes a long way to alleviate difficulties. The outdoor part of the job is interesting and add more fun especially in the summer time.
Public Health Sanitarian
Public Health Sanitarian II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2017
Create a better environment
Management is not trustworthy
Unhealthy environment
Fighting management is exhausting
Environment leaves no room for growth
Compensation for time spent in the field is not great
Cons
Healthcare and benefits are amazing!
good
Public Health Nutritionist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 23, 2016
Great place to work. nothing else to say. love working at this place.
great people. great location. great environment. Learned much about childhood nutrition
Pros
all good
Cons
nothing
I enjoy my job
Consultant, Public Health Social Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 24, 2016
A typical day at work involve me collaborating and interfacing with mental health providers and families to monitor the client’s engagement.
Great Place To Learn
SENIOR CLINICAL QUALITY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 4, 2016
Great place to learn for entry level folks. Also, has inside track to changes in healthcare before most. All in all it is a good place to work, but constant changes and lack of upward mobility tend to frustrate.
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
Not too much upward mobility
Career Development Opportunies
Training Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2016
The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene are innovators in the field of public Health. One of the greatest contributions that we make to the workforce is access to professional development opportunities. Employees are eager to learn and take advantage of the on e-learning and classroom programs. Hard work and dedication are rewarded. Management and staff demonstrate high compliance to mandated training requirements and employees are dedicated to the agency's mission to protect and promote the health of all New Yorkers.

The biggest challenge is finding adequate space to meet training needs. The best and most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that I work in an environment that supports employee development, and the contribution that I am able to make by providing a productive earning environment that is supported by our agency's leadership.
Pros
Ongoing development opportunities
Cons
Training space is limited.
A Great Sense of What Diversity Should Look Like
Behavioral Health Counselor /Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2016
In this internship, I see in this facility what it means to be diverse where workers, people, from different cultures, ethnicities, and experiences come together for the common cause of providing and protecting New Yorkers with effective and efficient services to promote the well being of the city.