New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Employee Reviews

Great Place To Learn
SENIOR CLINICAL QUALITY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 4, 2016
Great place to learn for entry level folks. Also, has inside track to changes in healthcare before most. All in all it is a good place to work, but constant changes and lack of upward mobility tend to frustrate.
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
Not too much upward mobility
Career Development Opportunies
Training Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2016
The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene are innovators in the field of public Health. One of the greatest contributions that we make to the workforce is access to professional development opportunities. Employees are eager to learn and take advantage of the on e-learning and classroom programs. Hard work and dedication are rewarded. Management and staff demonstrate high compliance to mandated training requirements and employees are dedicated to the agency's mission to protect and promote the health of all New Yorkers.

The biggest challenge is finding adequate space to meet training needs. The best and most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that I work in an environment that supports employee development, and the contribution that I am able to make by providing a productive earning environment that is supported by our agency's leadership.
Pros
Ongoing development opportunities
Cons
Training space is limited.
A Great Sense of What Diversity Should Look Like
Behavioral Health Counselor /Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2016
In this internship, I see in this facility what it means to be diverse where workers, people, from different cultures, ethnicities, and experiences come together for the common cause of providing and protecting New Yorkers with effective and efficient services to promote the well being of the city.
Supportive, intelligent, driven employees
City Research Scientist II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 23, 2016
My bosses and colleagues are SO smart, driven, capable, and supportive. We all work as a team even if we're not on the same projects.

The location (125 Worth St in Manhattan) is amazing for food, easy access to the rest of the city, and is beautiful.

Overall a very positive experience.
Great Job
School Nurse-RN Adolescents Reproductive program (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 17, 2016
I love working as a school nurse, for the department of health and mental hygiene I love serving the student. love the area that I am.
Very Productive, Family Setting, Eye Opening
Call Center (AMCC) Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2015
A pleasure to get a chance to work in the public health field and even better to do it for the NYC.

Very Productive, Family Setting, Eye Opening.
Best Time of My Working Career
Health Care Access and Improvement Staff Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 1, 2015
I really enjoyed working with the staffs in my team. The staffs in the
DOHMH can be fun, challenging and smart.

I love the structure of the team, the director in my department was fair and open to suggestions as long as you work hard.

Day to day tasks can be very different and that give you something to look forward to.

Training and the trainer there is exceptional very good with materials and one to one training. It gives you the chance to bring out your strength.
Pros
Great Environment to learn and work. Great Benefits as well.
Cons
You have to be a civil service in order to stay in this job permanent. Otherwise, you will be let go.
Engaging workplace
Project Management / Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 7, 2015
Management is very open to different suggestions to complete certain goals of the company. The staff as well as management are very supportive and are easy to communicate with. From this company i was able to improve many skills such as communication, project management, prioritization, as well as multi-tasking.
The work environment is very easy-going here.
Computer Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 7, 2015
My co-workers definitely help with making the environment friendly and easy-going. We all work well together and definitely share opinions and give great advice. My typical work day, I greet my co-workers, settle in and start to check emails and respond. I, then start to prepare my morning work and get right to it. I enjoy what I am currently doing (death reporting for the five boroughs, etc.), but it can get a little stressful.
I learned a lot of skills working for dept of health. a good company to work for
Public Health Advisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2015
after clocking in. I would clean my work area,review medical records that needed follow ups, do my computer work, take care of any sick students, including calling parents when needed.handling all paperwork,
Pros
working independent
Cons
not having help when needed.
Great place to work to gain expiernce in the Health field
Office of School Health Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 15, 2015
I gained a lot of knowledge working for NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. I was able to conduct research on Asthma and how it affects NYC residents within the 5 boroughs.
Sw
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 28, 2015
Great Environment to work in. Wish the Civil Service policy were different. Great Management to work with as well. Wish there were more job opportunities as well.
Diversity
Public Health Immunization Nurse (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 5, 2015
This is a job that I enjoyed going to everyday because of the diversity that I was exposed to. I believe to have a great repoire with patients of diverse backgrounds and being in a position that allowed me to teach and educate them was a very rewarding experience.
Experience
College Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 29, 2015
My experience at the NYC Department of Health is that they are very lenient when you are an undergrad student and always willing to help you. This college aide position, however, does not allow you to advance to an actual position.
Interesting project and brilliant people
Emergency Planning Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2015
NYCDOHMH has absolutely brilliant people working for it. I get to work the best of the best. However, there are limited resources and too many politics involved in day-to-day activities that hinder work being done. There is little room for advancement and little freedom in job task allocation.
Receptionist
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 27, 2015
• Maintain daily registration and inspections logs
• Responsible for overseeing supplies and inventory of stock room
• Develop and maintain electronic tracking sheets for office supplies and equipment
• Organize conference rooms for meetings
• Assist with covering the receptionist area and answering internal and external calls from the public
• Responsible for overseeing internal and external mail
• Maintain office filing system
Educational and fun place to work
Health Consultant H.I.V. Bureau/ College Aide (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYMay 18, 2015
This is a College Aide position, which always keeps me busy and learning. I am not treated any different than the other staff. I am in meetings, hosting workshops, mailing out letters to potential participants, and previous ones.
Engaging internship
Intern (Current Employee) –  28th St Long Island CityApril 15, 2015
My role in Project PEEK involved visiting PEEK participant sites to update and/ or troubleshoot any problems with the iPad kiosks. I documented all contact with practices in Client Relationship Management software. I introduced patients to the PEEK and demonstrated their use showing them how user friendly it was and the different types of resources that could be accessed from it. I assisted the practices in incorporating the PEEK into their workflow by suggesting that during the time the administrative staff and doctors are preparing for the next patient that they be directed to the PEEK’s in order to check their own health records and/or learn more about other resources available in their community. I also remotely monitored any troubleshooting of iPads using Mobile Device Management software by ensuring that the iPads were fully charged and still connected to the internet and informed practices if there was anything they could do to assist in the process. I analyzed and reported site traffic to spot trends in usage, especially before and after outreach visits. This allowed us to determine what was most useful to patients and what we could improve on and include. I demonstrated kiosk use as a part of a larger presentation or in service to medical practice staff. I conducted literature searches for potential journal articles or grant applications and proactively contacted practices to encourage and increase their participation it he project. I also researched educational materials to be incorporated into DOHMH-designed content. I also developed outreach materials to assist with  more... the project newsletter. Skills I acquired during my internship would include learning how to utilize and navigate new computer programs. I also learned how to turn an iPad into a kiosk with the use of specific software as well as learning how to set up and take apart the kiosks whenever necessary. I was able to draw on my customer service experience in the retail industry in order to have meaningful dialogue with practice staff to provide the best possible service to them. I also was able to use information I was taught in my Master’s classes when developing content for the iPads by using what I’ve learned about health literacy and health disparities in our city to make the information given as clear and understandable as possible.  less
Exciting, challenging, but no clear upward mobility
Epi Scholar Intern, Bureau of HIV (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2015
Good environment, smart people, keeps you on your toes and usually learning more, but you will get used and abused and VERY little pay
Excellent work environment for city dweller.
Public Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 20, 2015
First assignment was as a public health nurse for New York City's public schools. Tasks included management of students with asthma, diabetes, seizure disorders and Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder, vision & auditory screening and assisting teachers with Individualized Education Programs as needed.

I was supervised by a district supervisor and my only co-worker was a public health assistant.

The hardest part of the job was evaluation and reporting of suspected child abuse and neglect.

Everything else about the job was enjoyable. I loved working with students, teachers and parents.

My second assignment was also as a public health nurse in the Bureau of Tuberculosis. This was more challenging as the clients are found in many areas of the city including their homes, job locations or in the clinics. My chief role was Direct Observed Therapy of confirmed TB, monitoring of blood test results to recognize possible liver damage from the drug therapy.

We worked in teams supervised by a Clinical manager and having public health advisers (non-nursing personnel) for data collection.
Pros
Secure City job with good benefits
Cons
Too much city-wide travel

4.3