New York City Human Resources Administration Employee Reviews

tedious work culture
Intern (Former Employee) –  office clerkMarch 30, 2017
it was my first internship, it wasn't a great experience there, manager slacking off all the time, there was no room for any advancement and opportunity
Extremely heavy workload if you are not an organized person.
Eligibility Specialist II (Former Employee) –  1910 Monterey Ave. Bx, NYFebruary 2, 2017
I would interview approx 15 - 20 clients daily face to face. All the while having to answer phone calls. Would have to work overtime to complete cases and issue benefits in a timely manner which was okay if we were actually getting paid overtime.
Pros
Excellent employee benefits, union
Cons
workload can be very stressful.
Working for the city
Case Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 20, 2017
Working for the City of New York is very beneficial. A typical day is not stressful and co workers are pretty easy going. Work can become monotonous but a great place to learn and grow.
Pros
Great benefits and work schedules
Productive and educational
Finance Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2017
This job was an internship for my Accounting degree. I learned much about Microsoft Office and was able to learn much about Microsoft Excel and the features in it. My co-workers kept me busy when my supervisor wasn't around and they always made instructions clear.
Pros
Long lunch break, friendly environment
Cons
Didn't learn much about accounting
Good place to begin a career.
Attorney (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 19, 2016
The New York City Human Resources Administration was a good place to start a legal career because I had access to the Heads of the Legal Department.
Pros
I learned a lot very early in my legal career.
Cons
At times the place was not very professional.
There's never a dull moment
Case Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2016
Your in the neighborhoods of people who mostly at risk.
The caseworkers are great and the benefits are great.
The hardest part of the job is time management with a high caseload.
Pros
your in the community
Cons
high turnover and high caseload
Amazing place to work.
Job Oportunity Specialist (Former Employee) –  25 chapel st, 606November 4, 2016
I had an amazing experience working there. I was surrounded by amazing people. Everyone was very dedicated and a team player.
Pros
I felt part of a cummunity
Cons
a place where you can work yourself up the ladder
Director's Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2016
a environment where you can work your way up the ladder through training and positioning yourself through promotional exams that will allow mobility in the company
Depending on location and supervisor could be a great place to work
Computer Specialist II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 5, 2016
I find that working for a city agency is a double-edged sword. There are workers who are passionate about working and others who seem to only want to get by.
Job Security
Fiscal Department Office Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2016
Good work/ life balance and job security. New York City also offers great benefits such as pension and health insurance.
Pros
Security
Cons
Slow advancement
Easy Job/ Not Professional
Senior Fraud Investigator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2016
This job was an easy job with good benefits and good hours. However, it could be a lot better if management was better. People should not forget where they came from while climbing the ladder. The manager I had did not treat people right. That is one of the reasons why I left and they still don't care. There are many unprofessional people who work there too. You can not tell the difference between some of the clients and the staff. Nepotism too.
Pros
good hours, good benefits
Cons
a lot of unprofessional staff, managers
A typical day of work consist of processing applications for NYC residents to recieve health insurance.
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2015
I work at a city agency that deals with the public through different branches of social services. The agency is one that gives you room for growth.
Nice Place To Work
Data Entry Clerk (Per Diem) (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJune 22, 2015
Scanned records into Income Clearance Program system. Filed and bulked food stamp applications. Atmosphere was good for the most part.
Working with the public
Eligibility Specialit II (Current Employee) –  New York , NYMay 17, 2015
Working here has given me the opportunity to excel in skills to assist and produce a well balance to the needs of the public and their needs. We are provided with all the opportunity to gain and ask for all the assistance to help those in need of public services that the city /state can provide in order to transition them to becoming self sufficient.
Pros
variety of employement opportunity
Cons
commute was extremely difficult.
alot of customer service interactivation
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2015
Process and review application
Collect and maintained up to date reports
Create spreadsheet
(excel and Microsoft word)
Train providers on policies and procedures
Answer and respond to calls
Light typing
Site visits
Analytically determined the amount of disbursement to agencies approved op receive reimbursement (yearly)
Filing
Represent agencies at meeting with community groups
Pros
enjoyed working with people, like the city benefits
Cons
no advancement
NYC HRA Dept. of Social Services Imaging Dept. and Medicaid/Medicare Administrative Depts. at 785 Atlantic Avenue Brooklyn, NY is a nice workplace.
Clerical Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 12, 2015
Co-workers, staff and management were a pleasure to work with. Learned the eligibility requirement for Medicaid and Medicare/Medicare Saving Programs. The difficult part of the job was accepting that there weren't any benefits, incentives, perks or holiday bonuses/perks for temporary staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was the comfortable and pleasant atmosphere overall, and open communication along with respectful and courteous management.
Pros
(2) 15 min. breaks during the day at 10:30-10:45AM & 3:30-3:45PM
Cons
Temporary (contract) job assignment with low pay rate.
Lots of filing
Seasonal Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 19, 2014
This was another WEP assignment. Therefore, I could not use computers. There was a lot of filing and making copies. The people were respectful. However, because this is a WEP assignment there was no room for growth and advancement. This was assignment working with the welfare which mean there was alot of work to be done. Everyone pitched in and helped one another. This is the type of thing I like to see at jobs.
Pros
Everyone was respectful
Cons
No advancement or growth
Very intense atmosphere. Working to improve the ways of living.
Job Opportunity Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2014
It is a very intense environment where I assist with helping the
less fortunate.
Pros
Great benefits
Production
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2014
Typical day would be coming in to a hostile environment and solve economic issues, learning process would be helping people out that need help, management were always on top of their duties, co-workers worked hand and hand to resolve similar situations, the hardest part of the day would be trying to over come the day. Last but not least having a NYC job is the best part knowing that you have a job.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short breaks long hours
strong drive and access to make a lot of money
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2014
Im a great person to work with in the work place. Management and my co workers think that i am too dedicated to my work sometimes but have great experiences with all of them. The hardest part of the job is the fact that i cant make even more money in my position unless promoted by someone else.The part about my job i do love is the flexible schedule and of course the Check at the end of the week. A typical day at work just involves me coming on time and turning into the best employee that i can be, a clock in clock out mindset. Through working i have learned new ways to take on certain activities and i also have learned various ways to maintain and achieve handyman sufficiency.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York City Human Resources Administration. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2